AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-29, 08:53   Link #1
Giglufer

Main Character with hidden ability or somehow gains it?

Well im looking for an anime where the main character(perferably a male lead) lives an ordinary life(probably attending school) and one day discovers he has a special ability which leads to a plot and a story. Probably some romance will be nice, but not necessary

Some animes i can think of right now are probably:
Konomini
D.N Angel
Fate/Stay Night
Mai Hime
Old 2006-08-29, 09:09   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm I've some that seems to fit but doesn't seem to as well:

FLCL: Naota finds lots of stuff coming out of his head, the plot as well. You need to be pretty skilled to understand this GAINAX wonder.

Gundam SEED: Kira SEEDs and becomes the Son of God. With his powers, he bends the plot, fate and destiny. He is protected by the strongest armour known to humans, Plot Armour.

Utawarerumono: Hakuoro wakes up from a nightmare with a beast, finds himself without his memory but a new life. He kills enemies with an iron fan, leads armies into war, becomes a king and has a harem. He soon finds the beast within him.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-08-29, 09:33   Link #3
fto
Anime Forever

gate keepers: Main character suddenly gets his "gate" power when he fights an enemy... with romance

Air Gear : well i personally like it and seems to fit the bill. its still on going with 20-21 episodes

Erementar Gerad : he obtains a power when he combines with a girl who becomes a weopon.. very good with romance.

Zero no Tsukaima : the main guy in this story suddenly goes to a different world and becomes this girls "familiar".. he is actually has this hidden super strentgh which is shown in some episodes... still on going

Kiba : the main character suddenly(again) goes to a differnet world where they use these spirits to fight. the main character for some reason has this legendery spirit.. still on going

well that all i think just by thinking for 2 min..... ill say more if u need more later
Old 2006-08-29, 10:21   Link #4
mit7059

well not like a magical ability, but for someone with unknow talent you could check out Beck and Inital D

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-29, 10:31   Link #5
Giglufer

Well i have seen FLCL and it was a pretty weird but good series , im am currently watching Zero no Tsukaima and i love it. I did plan to look into Erementar Gerad and gatekeepers so i might check them out again. Gundam... eh, im not too into gundam for some reason possibly because ive been watching too much mecha recently and want to try something new.
Old 2006-08-29, 10:41   Link #6
Grungir

Shakugan no Shana (not a LOT of power.... has romance too)
RahXephon
Old 2006-08-29, 11:14   Link #7
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglufer
Well im looking for an anime where the main character(perferably a male lead) lives an ordinary life(probably attending school) and one day discovers he has a special ability which leads to a plot and a story. Probably some romance will be nice, but not necessary
Rozen Maiden and Rozen Maiden Traumend.

Lets see.
  • main character(perferably a male lead).

>> Checked

• lives an ordinary life(probably attending school)

>> Nope. This guy is a Hikkikomori (sp?) so he spends all day at long buying stuff on the internets and shouting
    at his sister

• he has a special ability which leads to a plot and a story

>> I Don't Know. Its not as much a special ability as it is a bunch of moving dolls bursting into his life. Tho later
    he finds that he does have a special... talent.

I'm recommending this because its a great show with a great mix of humour, action, and emo.
Old 2006-08-29, 12:32   Link #8
Zython
Card-carrying Hunter

Hmm...

Eyeshield 21: It's not that he suddenly "discovers" it, but it's more that he doesn't give it much thought. The main character, Sena, basically has super speed and can instantly find the path of least resistance through a crowd. Because of these abilities, he's recruited as the running back for his high school's football team.

Bleach and Yuu Yuu Hakusho may fit the bill, but that would depend on what you mean by "discover".

Last edited by Zython; 2006-09-01 at 21:38.
Old 2006-08-29, 12:43   Link #9
Giglufer

I watched Shakugan no Shana and recently completed Rahxephon which was all both really good in my opinion.

Well ive never seen Rozen Maiden, but the doll thing doesn't really interest me all too much maybe probably because i never watched it b4. And what kind of action does Rozen Maiden have?

And, Blach i think you mean Bleach im currently following, as for Yuu Yuu Hakusho, im not much into older series
Old 2006-08-29, 12:47   Link #10
HXHFMP
a world's hunt

Quote:
Firs thing that came into my mind when i read your title was hunter x hunter. the beginning starts kinda slow and also the idea of being a hunter sounds like what more people would expect. However this anime just classify on the unpredictable. there are two worlds in this plot, weither you in be a hunter or be like a normal person.
Old 2006-08-29, 12:49   Link #11
Giglufer

ive been watching lots of anime recently, hunter x hunter was probably my 4th anime series i watched in my life :S. Btw it was a really nice series, something like that is probably what im looking for.
Old 2006-08-30, 16:45   Link #12
Lost

Quote:
Well ive never seen Rozen Maiden, but the doll thing doesn't really interest me all too much maybe probably because i never watched it b4. And what kind of action does Rozen Maiden have?
Don't let the thing about dolls get you down, its really not 'girly-whirly' if that's what you're afraid of. In Rozen Maiden all of the 12 dolls were created to fight each other until one is left standing, upon which that one becomes a perfect doll. (ala Mai HiME, in some respects). And like in MH, they fight with 'magical' powers, according to their designs/characters. For example, our Main doll, Shinku uses rose petals and a handy pink cane; the outcast yet arguably the most beautiful of the dolls, Suigintou, uses her wings to give no short supply of really sharp feathers; while my personal favorite, Suiseiseki, uses earthbreaking plant-stalks.

Action wise; action is definitely not the focus here, so don't be disappointed by the lack of nicely choreographed swordplay (tho later in S2, some use swords) or big explosions. But with such variations in their weapons, its interesting to see how they use them; and needness to say, magic makes for its own brand of eye candy. Of course, they aren't below giving each other hearty slaps and fleshy sounding whacks during combat too.
Old 2006-09-01, 21:12   Link #13
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

i'm kinda hoping kyon (or whoever he is) from suzumiya haruhi would get some powers... but it ended so my hopes were in vain.
Old 2006-09-01, 21:41   Link #14
Zython
Card-carrying Hunter

Quote:
And, Blach i think you mean Bleach
Hehe, whoopsies.
Old 2006-09-30, 11:47   Link #15
digitalmaster287

I think Naruto might fit what you are looking for, but he doesnt actually get the new ability RIGHT at the start. He sorta learnes it throughtout the series and learns to control it. Bleach also has a similar style of the main chacter learning new powers as the show goes on
Old 2006-09-30, 22:37   Link #16
Poemi-chan
Puni Puni Kobayashi

Okay, so here goes:

Figure 17- Girl meets alien and shares powers from alien. Heartwarming tale of friendship and personal growth.

Tokyo Mew Mew - Junior high girl gains weird magical powers along with cat instincts. Cutesy uniforms, young girl crushes, Sailor Moon type of fighting scenes, comedy, friendship.

Naruto - has supernatural power inside of him. Ninja fighting and lifestyle, emphasis on team work and personal growth, comedy

Zatch Bell/Konjiki no Gash Bell - Main character gains perspective to grow from a little friend. The two learn that the little friend can use magic with the help of the main character. The two team up together and with friends to save people. Comedy, some perverseness in the Japanese version.

Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo, Masaru-san! - Silly comedy, where the main character has some small, but very strange abilities - one from some strange accessories he finds, the other a type of martial arts (?) technique that he learns and tries to spread to others in his school. Lots of random weirdness that make it funny. Episodes are very short (10min each, I think)

Violinist of Hameln - One main character has the ability to manipulate enemies by playing his violin. Two of the main characters learn they had abilities that they never knew about, passed onto them by their parents, though they don't really find out until late in the series as they learn more about their families and the conflict surrounding them.

Magical Doremi/Ojamajo Doremi- girl and friends learn to be witches and use their magic to help themselves and others.

Ebichu the housekeeping hamster - For mature viewers. In some episodes, Ebichu shows her alter ego - Ebichu Man! She flies through the air and scampers to people's houses to help them out with *ahem* certain problems. Mature subject matter, not for kids. Comedy.

Puni Puni Poemi - Also for mature viewers. Wannabe voice actress Poemi (aka Kobayashi) finds she has been given the ability to use magic powers to save the world. It turns out that other people close to her have their own abilities as well. Lots of random crazy weirdness that makes it funny. Not for the faint of heart!
Old 2006-09-30, 22:53   Link #17
Poemi-chan
Puni Puni Kobayashi

Oh yeah, I remembered another one: DNA^2 - Boy meets girl from future and gains the powers of a "playboy". When a situation really calls for it, all of a sudden he'll have game and come off all romantic and stuff. Funny, a bit perverse.