AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-04, 04:22   Link #1
Gen B

anime that deviates from common plots/themes

must not fall under the ff categories:
1. robots that can only be operated by kids
2. "the chosen one" - the one and only boy/girl that can save the world (usually reluctant of their role)
3. robots/creatures/spirits that can be dominated by their masters so they can spar with other user-operated robots/creatures/spirits
4. collecting items (creatures/cards/stones)
5. guy living in a house with a 1:10 boy-girl ratio
6. transfer student with amazing abilities
7. love relationships between a human and a robot/alien/fairy/maid/creature/machine/computer
8. guy with glasses that freaks out when women are near
9. weak/nerdy/unpopular kids that later turn out to have great powers that nobody saw coming
Old 2003-11-04, 04:28   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Princess Tutu doesn't fit into any of those categories. Even though you might think it will when you first watch episode one, it quickly makes a left turn down a strange dark alley where you are hit over the back of the head and mugged of all your preconceptions.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-04, 04:35   Link #3
Danny Boy

Patlabor, especially The New Files, their second oav series (it's licensed, though). Don't let those mechs fool you, the show's intelligent and quirky, and does not rely on common anime themes to tell an interesting story. Koutetsu Hyaku Monogatari is an interesting horror-type anime that's just started being released by in Animesuki. It's reminiscent of an older anime, Curse of the Undead Yoma. Wings of Honneamise may be a bit too dry for your average anime fanatic, but if you're already tired of common anime stereotypes, then you might want to check out that film (it's also licensed). And I think the Ghibli TV movie Ocean Waves doesn't fall into those categories either. It's drama though, and I'm not sure if it's licensed, cause I think Disney didn't get that when they bought the rights for most of the Miyazaki/Ghibli flicks.
Old 2003-11-04, 04:44   Link #4
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

GTO

That is all.
Old 2003-11-04, 05:37   Link #5
muipO
=__=.~

What about Gunslinger Girl...? And Full Metal Alchemist has unique concepts in it...
Old 2003-11-04, 09:20   Link #6
plastic unicorn
(miko-senpai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muipO
What about Gunslinger Girl...? And Full Metal Alchemist has unique concepts in it...

I would recommend those two also, especially as they are currently readily available on animesuki.
Old 2003-11-04, 17:41   Link #7
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Narutaru!

The first episode may lull you into thinking its gonna be some kinda Pokemon show but if you thought that you'd be WAY wrong!
Old 2003-11-04, 18:59   Link #8
[Titan]
Tenshi

tsurumaru: very true, the first ep is a bit kiddy, but the series gets darker as it continues, the last couple of eps freaked me out, worse than most of the horrormovies I've seen.

You said no boy-robot relation, but I'd really recommend Saikano (or Saishuu Heiki Kanojo), It's licenced, but the japanese DVD's have excellent English subtitles, so you can import them if you want. It is a one of a kind series, depressing, and does not follow the usual happy-joy-yay story line.

another unique series is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, which kind of lacks storyline, it's a very quiet and relaxing OVA
Old 2003-11-07, 02:58   Link #9
Supernaut

Hmmm. What did I post in the earlier (now lost) thread???
uhhhhh.....

Momorio Sisters
I, My, Me! Strawberry Eggs
Haibane Renmei
Burn Up Excess
Fruits Basket
Sakura Diaries
Old 2003-11-07, 19:38   Link #10
Lain

Serial Experiments: Lain.

It has NONE of the flaws you want to avoid.
Old 2003-11-07, 20:52   Link #11
Oninusar
Inactive Member

I was going to Suggest Lain -- what about .hack ??

i heard some crazy snime called Ping-Pong club..
was told its the craziest anime ever but no clue if it is

Ohhh yeah FLCL Furi Curi (spelling?) FLCL will mess you up! i wateched it pre-cartoon network all fansubbed and omg i nearly went insane, it follows NO guide and is the most far out anime ive ever seen, hell im still a little goofy from it.

Angelic layer is damn good too (though im partial)... it might SEEM poke-mon ish but its not, its a higher quality with alot fo action and they spend the entire 26 episodes building charectures even till after the end credits on Episode 26 roll...

:::doh yeah i guess Angelic Layers a bad choice then its a robot sparing thing but there alot of things put down a guys pants, and alot of eatting si done during the series :::

Last edited by Oninusar; 2003-11-07 at 23:17.
Old 2003-11-07, 21:55   Link #12
Supernaut

Oninusar, Ping Pong Club is the most twisted comedy I've seen. More graphic views of male body parts than I care to see. Still, very funny.

What I've seen of Angelic Layer I enjoyed. But I think it falls under category #3- robots/creatures/spirits that can be dominated by their masters so they can spar with other user-operated robots/creatures/spirits.
Old 2003-11-08, 02:06   Link #13
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

You may think that FLCL is about a boy and a robot,.. but no.
For you see, the intricacies involved in FuriKuri's plot is far more complex than that.

The entire premise of FLCL is whether Naota , a metaphoric symbol for modern day Japan, should choose between Haruko, a simile of foreign powers represented by the italian scooter, red hair, abnormal height, and the fact that shes an alien; and Nina Mori, the daughter of the mayer in the city, who represents the crumbling Japanese traditions and culture.

So if you're into politics.. and giant mecha battles, check it out!

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
Old 2003-11-08, 07:35   Link #14
NenMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain
Serial Experiments: Lain.

It has NONE of the flaws you want to avoid.
number 9

number 7
Old 2003-11-09, 00:44   Link #15
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Furi Kuri does have those elements but its too good to not see. When I first watched the short OVA series it blew me away, its like nothing you ever seen before, its beyond most peoples imagination. The OST is simply amazing, hard to belive they're actually a JRock group that alone is enogh to see it. Don't pass this up just because it has those two themes. Like the previous posts above it did air on Cartoon Network for a while but I didnt like the english dubs much I much perfer the Jap dub with english subs much better.

Last edited by Keitarou20; 2003-11-09 at 16:48.
Old 2003-11-09, 12:41   Link #16
NenMaster

u quoting a wrong post?
Old 2003-11-09, 13:29   Link #17
7thMethuselah

Piano, this anime is a "slice of life show" doesn't have any of those flaws.

Boys be, again an anime which is very realistic.

Ayashi no Ceres, this time we have popular kids (no freaky at all) getting weird powers.

Rurouni Kenshin, nothing wrong with that one

Cowboy Bebop

Lain

Old 2003-11-09, 16:43   Link #18
NenMaster

is it me or does lain fall under these

7. love relationships between a human and a robot/alien/fairy/maid/creature/machine/computer
9. weak/nerdy/unpopular kids that later turn out to have great powers that nobody saw coming
Old 2003-11-09, 16:48   Link #19
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenMaster
u quoting a wrong post?
oops, sorry NenMaster I thought you were talking about FLCL
Old 2003-11-09, 21:45   Link #20
NenMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
oops, sorry NenMaster I thought you were talking about FLCL