AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-21, 20:01   Link #1
Z3120

Akira Live Action (Leonardo?)

Alright, so I've recently heard of yet another anime to American live-action movie adaptation again today on G4. Never bothered with any news of these sort of things because I automatically assume they'll bomb like the DBZ and Chun-Li movie projects I've recently heard of. Now Akira movie is a special something to me because the movie had a lasting impression on me and was one of the very first anime movies I've gotten into as a youngster. Right now, I'm confused and a bit speechless at the moment yet I definitely have this passion to hate the very idea right now. Any Akira fans?

Quote from AnimeNewsNetwork:

Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter and Variety entertainment trade periodicals both report that Warner Brothers and Appian Way, the production company of actor Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic, The Aviator), will adapt Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga into two live-action films. Each film will cover three volumes of the renowned science-fiction manga about a governmental genetic project and a teenager's attempt to save a fellow biker gang member.
Taken From aceshowbiz:

Quote:
This project won't be DiCaprio's first time being a producer. He has been involved as executive producer as well as producer of several films, including "The Assassination of Richard Nixon", "The Aviator" and "Gardener of Eden". His next project as the producer are "The Chancellor Manuscript", "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt", "Conspiracy of Fools" and "In Dark Woods".
movieblog.ugo:

Quote:
Now, back to Leo: AICN reports that he wants to play the part of the Tetsuo character from the original Akira. The site also reports that they know who would play the Kaneda character: Joseph Gordon Levitt. You know, the guy that played Tommy on 3rd Rock From the Sun? He’s in his 20s now and currently starring in the G.I. Joe movie.
Edit: Whoops if I posted in the wrong place.
Old 2008-02-21, 20:29   Link #2
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Akira is a very funny movie to me. The first half was bordering epicness, the 3rd fourth started becoming mediocre, and the last quarter then was good.

Making this film into live action though seems really weird, it would kind of feel like a blade runnerish matrix deal, and I don't think I would like it. I personally feel it should just be kept as an anime movie.

I love DiCaprio as an actor and stuff, but I just don't see it.
Old 2008-02-21, 21:12   Link #3
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

It makes you wonder if Leonardo DiCaprio is really a sheltered anime fan.
Either way, I may want to watch to original anime movie before this.
Old 2008-02-21, 21:41   Link #4
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Oh shi---

This better be good.
Ahh, who am I kidding.
Old 2008-02-21, 23:00   Link #5
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I'm actually excited about this. Mostly to see how DiCaprio handles it.
Old 2008-02-21, 23:32   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

They can't butcher it any more than the anime already has, at least not unless they deliberatly try to butcher it. The manga was great, the anime was nonsensical eye-candy. Hopefully the live action will be able to at least avoid the nonsensical bit.
Old 2008-02-22, 03:13   Link #7
navab
バースタド

Send a message via MSN to navab
Believe it or not I'm actually quite of fan of Leonardo's work, and his past two movies (The Departed, Blood Diamond) were both brilliant. Curious to see how this will turn out.
Old 2008-02-22, 04:45   Link #8
Mandoric

Revived out of production hell? We know they had the rights at least as far back as '03, but DiCaprio's involvement, adaption from the comics, and it being a two-parter are all new.
Old 2008-02-22, 07:42   Link #9
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good

*Yawn*. The anime was over rated and mediocre.Can't see the movie being a big hit to be honest but it'll be interesting to see future developments of this. Anyhoos it can't be any worse than the anime at least.
Old 2008-02-22, 10:43   Link #10
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Shine View Post
*Yawn*. The anime was over rated and mediocre.Can't see the movie being a big hit to be honest but it'll be interesting to see future developments of this. Anyhoos it can't be any worse than the anime at least.
Well then it's a good thing that the two movies will be based on the manga (which is better) and not on the anime.
Old 2008-02-22, 10:48   Link #11
Dop
Mmmm....

It bodes ill that they've changed the setting from Neo Tokyo to 'New Manhattan'.
Old 2008-02-22, 17:16   Link #12
kirokokori

So the manga is better? I saw the movie last week and thought it was pretty good, and I've seen the manga at the library, I'll go check it out next time I'm there.

Anyways, whether this sucks or not, I'll probably still go see it.
Old 2008-02-23, 15:31   Link #13
Sarajuana

Send a message via ICQ to Sarajuana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
It bodes ill that they've changed the setting from Neo Tokyo to 'New Manhattan'.
Well, if they are going to release it for a U.S. audience, New Manhattan would probably make more sense. It will keep everyone from wondering why none of the cast is Japanese in Neo Tokyo.
Old 2008-02-25, 16:33   Link #14
Z3120

Who thinks this may somehow be delegated a PG-13 rating? I can't imagine something like this being rated R because I can't see many adults wanting to see this unless it was a Marvel Comic to movie adaptation.
Old 2008-02-25, 16:34   Link #15
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
Who thinks this may somehow be delegated a PG-13 rating? Making this adaptation R doesn't seem like it'll be profitable, and I doubt Warner Bros. could do enough to frighten people.
How do you have
Spoiler:
in a PG-13 movie?
Old 2008-02-25, 16:46   Link #16
dave55man
~The Prince~

Send a message via AIM to dave55man
I think this will go over rather well with the adult audiences, if the movie is done well that is. Not many adults know of Akira the anime or manga so to most people this will seem quite original. Now we'll just have to wait to see the end results.
Old 2008-02-25, 20:32   Link #17
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL13 View Post
How do you have
Spoiler:
in a PG-13 movie?
I think the question would better be "How do you have that in a live-action movie?". Akira's gratuitous violence did good in the animated genre, but I doubt it's compatible with the live action setting. Unless Tarantino is directing it, of course.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-02-26, 21:11   Link #18
dave55man
~The Prince~

Send a message via AIM to dave55man
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
"How do you have that in a live-action movie?".
Well if they could do that... then it would be a really good live action movie :P
Old 2008-02-26, 21:32   Link #19
thephreak

i understand that this is an American adaptation to a japanese manga that will be released primarily to an American audience, but why not use Asian actors? i understand that doing that would probably hurt the ratings and the success of the film ( who wouldnt want to go see a film with Leo starring?). its their right to do so, but its really getting annoying for me. American adaptations to asian films and other types of media generally sucks and they act as if the original idea was their idea. some examples include The Departed, a bunch of horror movies, and more recently Vantage Point, which is obviously from Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon.
Old 2008-02-28, 01:01   Link #20
GreatTeacherKen

@ CJL13,

The climactic Ark opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark had one of the villains get his head blown up. It is partially censored, but it's still pretty graphic.

Actually that entire movie is surprisingly violent. I'm amazed it didn't get an R rating.

And yes I know Raiders is PG but that was before PG 13 was created as a rating and I'd pretty sure it'd get a PG 13 today.

back on topic, I think it'd be possible to make this movie though I'd imagine it'd have to use a huge amount of CG. Hopefully the script will be good.
Closed Thread