AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-02-02, 22:14   Link #81
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, I know Blu-ray is better, but can't they make it on both? I don't want to have to buy more equipment just because my comp won't read blu-ray discs (at least I don't think it can). That's really inconvenient. Not everyone can afford to buy a PS3, you know...
Old 2008-02-02, 23:21   Link #82
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

What do you mean Spectacular? You mean, you sided with HD-DVD and actually bought an HD-DVD player for your comp? Or did your comp already come with an HD-DVD reader pre-installed?

But in all honesty, I think all that will be released on Blu-ray as of now are the more 'mainstream' shows, while the rest will still be on regular DVD. And even then, I bet there will be regular DVD releases for the foreseeable future for the anime that's also released in HD. I mean, if PC-games are STILL being released in CD-ROM format even now...

Then again, if I had the choice between a console and buying anime in HD (or heck, buying any anime period), I'd take the console. But that's just me.

@Vexx
Blu-ray dominating? News to me, lol. Last I hear it was still neck-in-neck. ^^;

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 23:40   Link #83
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Spoiler for OT - Blu-Ray/HD:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 01:55   Link #84
Wirbelwind8
d-_-b

Warner Bros supported the HD DVD and was the reason HD DVD was able to fight with the Blu-Ray, but since Warner quit and joined the blu ray, it put a blow onto the HD DVD output

Quote:
"With Warner Brothers’ backing, Sony’s Blu-ray high-definition format now has about 70 percent of the DVD market locked up."
Quote:
"HD DVD, however, is not dead. Two major studios, Paramount Pictures and Universal Pictures, have deals in place to continue releasing their movies exclusively on HD DVD, as does DreamWorks Animation. Warner Brothers, part of Time Warner, will also continue to release its titles on both formats until the end of May. But by supporting Blu-ray, Warner Brothers, the largest player in the $42 billion global home entertainment market, makes it next to impossible for HD DVD to recover the early momentum it achieved."

This is just a graph of the sales in Japan, which show blu- ray over there is um... pwnin. (more the reason why warner gave up HD DVD)

Heres a link to the battle between the 2 formats
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/te...1069bb&ei=5087

I hope that wasn' too off topic
Old 2008-02-03, 10:40   Link #85
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Look there! A DISTRACTION!

Reading the last posts I can't get that smile from my face.

ADV is in trouble. A thread is generated to discuss that problem. *points at title* Then some ADV dude makes a statement "*mumble* *mumble* *mumble* BLU-RAY *mumble* *mumble*" and within an instant said thread completely derails.

I applaud the PR department of ADV. If their license negotiators are only half as skilled, they will not only sort out their problems within a few days, they will probably be able to simply buy a few leading anime studios by the end of the year.
Old 2008-02-03, 11:55   Link #86
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Indeed, a distraction. The blu-ray posts are interesting but not really in keeping with the thread topic.

Can we please get back on topic (if there is a topic to get back to)
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 06:47   Link #87
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Indeed, a distraction. The blu-ray posts are interesting but not really in keeping with the thread topic.

Can we please get back on topic (if there is a topic to get back to)
Until we get the press release that ADV has gone belly-up, there really isn't much of a topic...after-all, stuff like this happens in almost every other professional sector out there, it shouldn't come to a surprise that it happens with anime distributors as well.
Old 2008-02-04, 13:51   Link #88
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

If indeed ADV does go the way of Geneon, or even if it results that they have a financial crisis of sorts, what do people on the forum feel that is a reflection of?

Have American anime distributors exceeded 'real' demand or is this purely a question of downloads putting a huge dent on the retail market?

In my own view, I see anime supporters in America as constituting a passionate and dedicated fanbase, but one that is still, essentially, a niche market within the wider market of DVD sales.

In looking at the bestselling anime DVDs on Amazon, they are either Miyazaki Hayao releases, or failing that, they are some combination of Naruto, Bleach, and Dragonball. None of which are in their top 100 sellers list. This indicates to me that anime has never really gone mainstream, and that it will continue to be difficult for companies like ADV and Geneon, which tend to concentrate on animes that are not popularly known in the United states, to stay afloat.
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 04:52   Link #89
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Animeworks and Righstuf are still afloat, at least for now, and they have almost never had any really popular series. There has to be some other reasons for the other two big companies for going under.

ADV has licensed everything under the sun and taken lots of hits for it, but I would say a huge portion of my collection ends up coming from ADV, even though I normally prefer not to purchase from them (due to alot of adult oriented violent shows)

If it's some sort of licensing pricing face off, well I think it's good to close the doors. In the old days JP companies would beg for someone to release their content in the NA. but nowadays, it seems like everyone is getting milked to the extreme. If this is the case, we may hurt a bit now, but it would be good for the industry to cool down a bit.

I think the biggest killer of animation sales are the distribution costs? It can't be the bad voice over dubs?

Honestly, I think no one is buying media actively anymore. remember, last year SUNCOAST closed down in most of NA. MANY MANY MANY people are using netflix.

'owning' a video just doesnt have the same prestige it once had, at least not for most NA folks. I'm sure I still have some atari game cartridges in a box somewhere

A prediction, on animesuki alone, how many times have we heard people say, "I just want to download it." The internet has changed the world and the new generation has fully taken advantage of this technology. Companies will eventually have to find new ways collect revenues for their services. of course, I do not believe this time has arrived yet.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 11:42   Link #90
Logos

I pretty much stopped purchasing last year. I now use an online service. This way I get to see tonnes of anime and I don't have to worry about picking up some series I end up only watching once. The only thing that I have picked up lately was the GITS collector edition dvds. The swag made it worth it for me. Lately through allot of the boxset editions for older series selling for under $50-$60 has been fairly temping. The thing is though I can just go back to my online service and rent it again if I want.

So are services like Netfilx hurting anime companies? I mean they still have to purchase the material from said anime companies so you would think this would be a good thing. As to digital downloads unless they only charge say 1/2 the price (or lower) over having the physical DVD I don't see the point. Otherwise you miss out on owning the "physical" dvd and the possible swag that comes with it. Never mind the ability to loan it to friends and what not.

Last edited by Logos; 2008-02-05 at 11:54.
Logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 21:31   Link #91
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Wait so are they gonna continue releasing Ah my goddess season 2? Because I have 5 out of 6 of them and if they stop or shut down, i am gonna throw a hissy fit!!
Old 2008-02-06, 06:34   Link #92
jtstellar

can someone ask them why they haven't tried to drive the general price down for dvds for casual buyers? perhaps package fewer items that made the dvd packages expensive and pretty much just include the disc themselves? if they went belly-up because they didn't hire a competent market adviser, that would really seem laughable. i mean, they're at the frontier of a new industry, when is a better time to show people your unconventional market strategies? i don't think i have seen many of those in the past few years.
jtstellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 06:51   Link #93
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstellar View Post
can someone ask them why they haven't tried to drive the general price down for dvds for casual buyers? perhaps package fewer items that made the dvd packages expensive and pretty much just include the disc themselves?
The most expensive item is the one you don't see: the license fee. The extras are just for show. Many people consider them a nuisance, but the DVDs wouldn't be any cheaper without I assume.
Old 2008-02-06, 07:11   Link #94
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstellar View Post
can someone ask them why they haven't tried to drive the general price down for dvds for casual buyers? perhaps package fewer items that made the dvd packages expensive and pretty much just include the disc themselves?
It is a simple game of numbers. If you drop the price, you need more people to buy it. The companies have already tested lower price points in various forms and clearly none of them except the 13 episode box set work since none of them have been repeated. (Though we are seeing more things at a $20 price point now.) Many of the series that get on TV are value priced for the casual fans, but their sales far exceed non-TV series on average.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 14:10   Link #95
Nemuru

A few +ve news from ANN

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...with-adv-films

EDIT: sorry mislink this one, was reading a few articles be4 when I was copy and paste . Hope its correct this time

Last edited by Nemuru; 2008-02-09 at 01:56.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 16:07   Link #96
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that PR announcement from BangZoom applies to ADV's situation? Perhaps you can enlighten me?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 16:20   Link #97
cyth
Banned

He probably mislinked.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...h-german-sales
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 01:53   Link #98
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Well that's a bit of a relief. I was like NO!! HOW CAN MY FAVE COMPANY DIE!?
Old 2008-02-28, 00:33   Link #99
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Whee! ADV got some of their titles back! Kanon, Venus Vs Virus and Red garden.

But no Gurren, Devil may cry or Magikano so far =(

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 00:57   Link #100
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So...does it seem like ADV will be just fine? I see someone saying "what a relief" but don't see any links indicating they aren't struggling. Has there been word they are just fine? Because I would like to see them stick around...I have 4 out of 6 AMG season 2 DVDs, also. Heh, not just that, I would like to see them stick around.