AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-01-17, 00:35   Link #1
EdwardElricForever

Playing Fansubs on HDTV via USB port overscan problem!

Hey guys,

I’ve done a huge search and I can't seem to find anything that will help me out with this problem so I hope someone will please be able to point me in the right direction!

So I've always used a video converter to put the black box around anime episodes to prevent the overscan issue when being burnt to Dvd and played back on the TV. This has always worked just fine thanks to Winavi and Nero and I've burnt tones of fansubs and watched them just fine on my TV.

I've just recently purchased a 52” Sony Bravia LCD HD TV and was thrilled to find out it has a USB port and I immediately thought of playing my HD fansubs on it in HD as the Dvd conversion isn't true HD as I don't have Blu-Ray disks to burn them to.

I still need to update the firmware but from what I've already tested it works great and all the episodes that play look amazing...

The only problem is that I am now faced with overscan again!!!

How do I get around this?

If I use Winavi to convert them with the black box around I'll lose the HD quality as the only output options I have are .vob, .avi and .wma!

Is there are program out there that will allow me to put the black box around the episode while keeping it HD to be able to play back on the TV using the USB port?

Sorry this is so long and I hope it makes sense but I'm really bugged as I thought all would be easy but I guess nothing comes this simple.

Thanks alot
EdwardElricForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 01:20   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My Bravia allows you to control the overscan with Home > Settings > Screen. Only the "full pixel" setting has no overscan on this set when I drive the screen at 1280x720. (I can't read the texts at 1920x1080 from across the room, and even 720p requires a reasonably large font size.)

Are you sure you mean a "USB" port? I have mine connected to the computer with an HDMI<>DVI cable connected to a video card with an NVIDIA 9500GT.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 03:03   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I don't have a Sony TV, but I did recently acquire a Philips 42" where I had a similar experience: it turned out I simply needed to turn off the "smart zoom" feature and have the TV not try the upscale the screen. In addition, turning on "PC mode" helped picture quality a lot too.

FYI, you probably will get the best results by hooking up a real PC/notebook to your TV (through VGA, DVI or HDMI) and play fansubs from your PC/notebook.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 21:29   Link #4
EdwardElricForever

Thanks alot for you're help guys ^.^

So I had a look in the Home>Settings>Screen option but I couldn't find anything that would allow me to adjust the pixels!

Opps sorry, by USB port I mean what I've been doing is loading the files from the computer onto a USB Stick and plugging that into the USB port on the TV. It works great and once I've upated the firmware I should be able to play all different kinds of files on it.

I'm hoping to be able to fix the TV to the computer via wireless router soon but we need to wait until someone comes over the fix up the new system properly as I wouldn't have a clue where to start!

I'm not to good at the whole HD thing yet as I've just upgraded but in theroy when I play a HD fansub on the TV, it will be in true HD correct! and once I've figured out the overscan issue, I shouldn't have to do anything else other than just play the episodes even if they are different series.
Old 2010-01-20, 02:04   Link #5
EdwardElricForever

Um, not to sound ungreatful or anything but I was just wondering where some replys to my questions are

I would really love to get to the bottom of this!

Please and thank you so much
Old 2010-01-20, 08:24   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Try asking at avsforum.com. Make sure you have the model number of your TV as there are threads for just about every one. You'll probably see a thread for your TV in this subforum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

What are the options available to you under Home > Settings > Screen? I have four; all but "full pixel" create overscan.
Old 2010-01-20, 11:32   Link #7
Kariko

My Bravia TV's usb plug can only play music and pictures. :x

Have you tried fiddling with all the menu settings? When I use my Divx DVD player, I change it to Full Pixel and it somehow magically makes my decade old anime (With 4x3 resoultion) look decent with 16:9 with minimal cropping (I think the bottom just got cut out a tiny bit).
Kariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 15:58   Link #8
EdwardElricForever

hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply back! I have some people over right now fixing up the TV system properly for me so I'll see if I can find this "full pixel" option with them. If not, I'll let you know the Tv model number and everything
Old 2010-01-26, 14:01   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I chose poorly when I bought my first flatscreen tv and I'm frequently fighting with the dumb-as-rocks "auto-scaling" no matter what the source. Older VHS and some broadcast stations seem to be the worst problems.

My Phillips DVR does have a USB port though and I keep meaning to try it out with a fansub.
Old 2010-01-30, 01:23   Link #10
EdwardElricForever

Hey

I am so so sorry for the late reply back

So in respnse to you're question SeijiSensei, when I go into Home>Settings>Picture & Display these are the options I get...

Picture Adjustment and Screen!

This is driving me crazy! The tech guys who came over didn't show me how to update the firmware so do you think this will help

Thanks again everyone
Old 2010-01-30, 08:59   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardElricForever View Post
So in respnse to you're question SeijiSensei, when I go into Home>Settings>Picture & Display these are the options I get...Picture Adjustment and Screen!
Yes, and what are the Screen settings? You still haven't given us a model number either.
Old 2010-01-30, 23:51   Link #12
EdwardElricForever

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot all about the model number

Here it is: KDL-52Z5100

As for what is under the 'screen' option here is what I have...

Wide Mode - Full
Auto Wide - On
- 4:3 Default off
Auto Display Area off
-Display area -1
Screen Position
Vertical Size 0

Hope this helps and thanks so much again
Old 2010-01-31, 08:18   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did you try varying the Display Area item? Is Full Pixel an option for that? If not, just try the different selections and see if it helps. Turning on "Auto Display Area" option might be another possibility, but I'd try manually stepping through the Display Area choices first.
Old 2010-02-02, 02:00   Link #14
EdwardElricForever

Yeh I've tried playing with the Display area and the only options I have are -2, -1 or normal and all these seem to do is zoom the picture in or out by a smidge but there was still far too much over scan!

As for turning the Auto display area on it is telling me that this option is only available with an HDMI input

Oh dear, this is looking to be a huge problem! Thanks so much for all you're continued help though, I really appreciate it
Old 2010-02-06, 02:11   Link #15
EdwardElricForever

Juat wanted to say thanks a bunch for you're help in getting my problem sorted out and for pointing me to the other forums!

I was FINALLY able to get to the bottom of my problem. Turns out the "Full Pixel" option only shows itself through HD (Blu-Ray player) and now I've got the laptop connected to the TV via HDMI everything looks and sounds amazing

Thanks again!