miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Lawl @ the ending...too cliche for me.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 10:52   Link #1182
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I wish i could say i was excited to watch the last episode but im just not but one must finish what they start. Such a promising series in the beginning
Old 2009-10-10, 11:49   Link #1183
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Hahaha @ the last episode.

Yeah, it must have been the shoes.

Wanna save the world kids? Well then you better get your Nikes ready... they really had to whore themselves up for the last episode huh?
somebody said that nikes was not paying anything because they are not in the credits, but neither was pizza hunt in code geass and anyone knew that they were paying for advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I wish i could say i was excited to watch the last episode but im just not but one must finish what they start. Such a promising series in the beginning
Amen to that. that is how i feel.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:14   Link #1184
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I think I watched this until ep 22. And I don't think I'm going to watch this any longer :< (This coming from someone who had watched episode 23, lol)

Seriously, what is going on with this show o.o; There's something that's just. . missing.

Something important from the first ten episodes from this series

I still remember the time when I felt so heated-up after watching an episode. The match was always excellent, and I felt myself as one of those crowds who get heated up by watching Dan's playing

Oh well, I think I'm still going to see the last episode. Can't help but to get wonder about how this thing will turn up.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 15:03   Link #1185
Zhaozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
somebody said that nikes was not paying anything because they are not in the credits, but neither was pizza hunt in code geass and anyone knew that they were paying for advertising.
Just don't think that the biggest name must be the biggest responsible.

There are different types of contract. For example sometimes in movies there are brand names showing here and there, but these brands don't have any creative control over the movie. It's not the kind of sponsor that can change directors at whim, they are just satisfied with product placement. With Nike there wasn't a contract that involved money because it was Kawamori the one who asked Nike to allow him to use the design of their shoes, not the opposite.

Now we are scapegoating to find out why things went wrong. For example, it was written that the Eclipse stole the show. It is kind of true, but there were even episodes without the Eclipse (the Underworld arc); frankly, were they exceptional? No, they weren't. The second director, chosen because the sponsors didn't like the first, is less talented than the first one, that's the real answer on why Basquash got worse.

Obviously Eichi Sato had his problems. He started from a situation that was even difficult in itself to pull out successfully. And those were not characters he conceived. But it ended up lame.

What's missing in the last episode is the antagonists. There is no real conflict going on. They are just playing between friends, and their desire is to enjoy the emotion of playing between friends. Victory does not even really matter to them, therefore there is no emotional connection with the theme of saving the world (to which is related the villain of Basquash, Jan Harris). Which such amorphous standpoint all interactions between characters ended up soulless, if they weren't already cliché.
Zhaozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 16:00   Link #1186
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I gotta admit that those nike shoes are very good looking
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 18:42   Link #1187
Blazemaker

Send a message via MSN to Blazemaker
People like to complain.

Basquash isnt the best show i ever saw, it isnt even in the list of my favorite shows.
It didnt change my life, nor my viewpoints and im not left wanting more episodes.

But it wasnt bad.
It was a good show, it was entertaining, the soundtrack was good, the animation was badass, the writing was ok and the directing was one of the best directings from this season.

Basquash was just meant to be a fun and entertaining and it sure was, come on, who expected a serious and down to earth plot in a anime about mechas playing basketball in ghetto-like citys? I surely didnt.

Not to mention the talking animals, the reverse trap princess and the high tech moon playing idol songs...

I expected something fun and ridiculous that i could pass time watching and i surely got it. In truth i got happy that i got to see something well made and that didnt rely much on fanservice shit (at least not after the first 7 episodes) or in moe-moe-cliches.

Anyway, that's my opinion like it or not, i never had high expectations for this series but in the end i not only finished it but liked it.
Blazemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 20:43   Link #1188
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazemaker View Post
People like to complain.

Basquash isnt the best show i ever saw, it isnt even in the list of my favorite shows.
It didnt change my life, nor my viewpoints and im not left wanting more episodes.

But it wasnt bad.
It was a good show, it was entertaining, the soundtrack was good, the animation was badass, the writing was ok and the directing was one of the best directings from this season.
most of the people are not mad because the show was bad, it is actually the other way, the show started so good that we had high expectations. It just changed to something so different from what it started halfway.
Old 2009-10-11, 02:37   Link #1189
Tjaard
Welcome to Kourindou

Send a message via MSN to Tjaard
I really liked this anime until the end
Yeah, the ending for all the chara was poor and clichè but until the end i think that this series was exciting and full of passion so i don't complain
Surely somehing that i liked were Eclipse's songs so i continue to listening them now xDD
Old 2009-10-11, 12:57   Link #1190
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Something important from the first ten episodes from this series

I still remember the time when I felt so heated-up after watching an episode. The match was always excellent, and I felt myself as one of those crowds who get heated up by watching Dan's playing
and the best is the eps that Dan throws the ball filled with diamonds at James, the OP song starts with the action, oh maybe a better song helped the success of those initial episodes too

i am only at eps 25, and i can understand why are so many complaints

the whole thing feels so weird, i just have to finish 26 for the sake of finishing

hope it has more big foot actions (what about the story? not care anymore )
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 14:59   Link #1191
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
and the best is the eps that Dan throws the ball filled with diamonds at James, the OP song starts with the action, oh maybe a better song helped the success of those initial episodes too

i am only at eps 25, and i can understand why are so many complaints

the whole thing feels so weird, i just have to finish 26 for the sake of finishing

hope it has more big foot actions (what about the story? not care anymore )
Basquash is a good example of how a good show can be ruined when you let the sponsors "direct" the show. When it was announced that they were chaging directors, I thought of many reasons for it. After they released the first volume of the series on DVD/blue-ray and it was found out that they removed miyuki's bouncing run, it was obvious that the sponsors didn't like that scene. I was noticing that the director was chaging his style as the episodes went on, but i guess there was still friction.
Old 2009-10-11, 15:52   Link #1192
mpt37

There were so many things crammed into one anime (basketball playing mechas, cyborgs, weird animals that turn into objects, cyborgs, idols who can summon giant butterflies with there singing, mystical ruins that talk to you, a guy who can reverse age) and the story was strange but at the end of it all, I still enjoyed it.

I didn't like the whole "Basquash can save the world" ending but if I just want a regular basketball anime I should probably watch Slam Dunk. Quite a few things left unresolved, #1 on my list would be Jan; why did he want to destroy the moon and what happened to him afterwards?

Good characters, great music, amazing mecha animation but a weird story.
Old 2009-10-12, 12:03   Link #1193
klare

pls also add bad editing and bad story, its like the production team are tire of putting effort into it (maybe like mentioned by golthin, they are forced to change many things from their original ideas)

while watching eps 26, i felt like keep asking "what are they doing?"

Q: If the world is going to end in 5 minutes, what will u do?
A) play basketball
B) start singing
C) repair your mecha

my overall thoughts on the series:
- this may be best animation (the big foots) of the year, the first OP is also one of the top song, the 2nd ED also nice (guess im Eclipse fans )
- but the show gone downhill since they started to explain the legend, giants etc
- my favourite character: Iceman
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 00:02   Link #1194
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Yeah... Too many plots...
From BigFoot Competition to Saving the World through Basquash...
Dunno whose faults is this...

Many things left unsolved...
Why Jan wanna destroy the moon?
Why Jan is disappeared from the last 3 minutes of eps 26?
Why Eclipse must go through enhancement?
What is that bird thing that takes Dan cs to mooneyes?
The concept of Ultinium?
What makes Dan can throw legendary thunderbolt ball?
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 00:19   Link #1195
blewin

As I watched episode 26, I became more and more disappointed by the big cliche that I could see coming. I felt like closing my eyes when the three pairs made their "dunk".

But I like the last part that shows how all the characters are doing. The very ending scene of Dan and Iceman (the camera angles) really gives that "Basquash" vibe once more. uhhh, remembering that time when Dan rejects Slash's OCB league with that music playing in the background gives me chills, but the ending with music playing just didn't give me the same feeling.

It's been a good ride. Just disappointed with how the anime went downhill.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 13:28   Link #1196
Zhaozhou

Quote:
Why Jan wanna destroy the moon?
The moon was crushing on Earthdash, if you destroy the moon there isn't such a problem anymore.
Quote:
Why Eclipse must go through enhancement?
You need to be strong to be on par with a legend.
Quote:
What is that bird thing that takes Dan cs to mooneyes?
It seems to be made by the spirits of the ancestors of Jiya and his wife. It's made of butterfly shaped silhouettes.
Quote:
The concept of Ultinium?
A refined version of Ultimite ore.
Quote:
What makes Dan can throw legendary thunderbolt ball?
Since even Navi could do it, I guess there is some magic within Ultimite.

But it was poorly explained.
Zhaozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 00:36   Link #1197
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I can't decide on whether to record my feeling on this series as a 4 or a 5 over on my MAL account. It's all been said right here, but Basquash Eclipse just ended up being a huge disappointment before even the surreally lacklustre final episode. If I have to point to any moment in the series where it jumped the shark it has to be the start of the Underground arc. It just never recovered the momentum from that point onward that was lost by them getting smacked back down to earth. It was almost kind of metaphorical the way it happened. Anyway at least I got my one wish and they didn't have Eclispe step in to save the day definitively with singing at the very end when Dan failed intially. That would have just completely destroyed the ending for me (more than it was already destroyed) and made me swear off anything Kawamori for the rest of my life. As it stands I think I'll give him a few more chances, but the guy seriously has to overcome his obsession with idols or at the very least if he wants to make a show that is all about idols from the beginning then fine, I'll have no beef with that, but more than anything he needs to knock off the whole baiting and switching of other premises for them.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-10-14 at 01:04.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 01:35   Link #1198
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
made me swear off anything Kawamori for the rest of my life. As it stands I think I'll give him a few more chances, but the guy seriously has to overcome his obsession with idols or at the very least if he wants to make a show that is all about idols from the beginning then fine, I'll have no beef with that, but more than anything he needs to knock off the whole baiting and switching of other premises for them.
I don't think it is all on Kawamori. The first director was his choice, Eclipse was introduced under the wing of the first director, maybe it was a last attempt to please the sponsors. I think the sponsors were set on replacing the guy after the very first 2 or 3 episodes. Removing one of the best fanservices scenes from the DVD/Blueray doesn't make sense. You don't remove fanservice from DVD but add. So don't blame it on Kawamnori too much.
Old 2009-10-14, 12:27   Link #1199
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Started off great had so much promise but in the end it just let me down i was truly disappointed with the end and i think the change in directors definitely had something to do with the how the show changed direction. I would like to see Basquash as it was intended not a dumbed down version. It was still entertaining and i did like a lot of the characters. I just think we ended up with show not living up to it potential.

solid 8/10
Old 2009-10-14, 14:10   Link #1200
ZODDGUTS

Meh series it started off great, it had one of best first eps for a series this year but then it slowly spiraled down into a so-so series. Shame this series had potential to be awesome.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basketball, mecha, shounen