Notices

Old 2011-11-03, 17:37   Link #221
Suiri Megami Alice
お兄ちゃんどいて! そいつ殺せない!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Have a nice read
Thanks!

But I can't. I have a week of waiting for my copy to arrive so I can start tackling Book 2.
Suiri Megami Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:12   Link #222
Myname

How does Slicing Dragonfly work?

When Muneshige stuck it inside his chest to stop the reflection, why didn't it just reflect his innards and cut him apart from the inside?
Myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:14   Link #223
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The slicing effect is active. The spear must be moving, the effect must be invoked by saying "Bind, Tonbokiri" and the target must be within 30 m from the spear.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 20:44   Link #224
Myname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The slicing effect is active. The spear must be moving, the effect must be invoked by saying "Bind, Tonbokiri" and the target must be within 30 m from the spear.
Ok, but that doesn't explain why it didn't slice up Muneshige from the inside.
Old 2011-11-03, 21:37   Link #225
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think I know of a speculation as to why:

Tonbokiri's ability is highly dependent on light. You fight against Tadakatsu on a pitch-dark cave and your opponent and you don't have to worry about being split in half all of a sudden... although you might get stabbed instead. In Muneshige's case, since his insides are not exposed to light, Tadakatsu can't target them.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 01:05   Link #226
Yamamoto-sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Spoiler for answers:
You sir are so awesome, words can't describe my thank
Damn, i wish Toori could be more like a strategist. Although his role is pretty amazing but it would be better if he can think and create plans
Old 2011-11-04, 02:09   Link #227
Morisato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Because if it weren't the books would be the size of shelves.

Can't answer the above questions, but I wanted to correct what's in the bold. In terms of length and page count, it's more like 20-something novels now.
Just wondering why it's Volume 1 Part 1, Volume 1 Part 2, Volume 2 Part 1, etc. instead of just Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3, etc.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 02:13   Link #228
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morisato View Post
Just wondering why it's Volume 1 Part 1, Volume 1 Part 2, Volume 2 Part 1, etc. instead of just Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3, etc.
Mostly because the story in those volume isn't complete, but they can't allow it to get any bigger so they separate it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 02:49   Link #229
Suiri Megami Alice
お兄ちゃんどいて! そいつ殺せない!

Quote:
Each volume encompasses a whole arc. They didn't label volume 1B as "volume 2" or 4B as "volume 9", else you can't tell which volume is under what arc. The numbering system has been like that ever since Owari no Chronicle.

Without that numbering system, when sometimes people just buy arbitrary volume number, after a few pages they realize the book they picked up is in middle of the arc (it'll be quite crazy to read a book starting from the middle, no?).
Old 2011-11-04, 03:09   Link #230
larethian

Quote:
and they are physically separate books covering the same arc. though in the original japanese titles it's 上/下 and 上/中/下.

there are actually other numbering systems, such as:
volume 1: chapter 1,2,3
volume 2: chapter 4,5,6
volume 3: chapter 1,2,3
volume 4: chapter 4,5,6,7,8
volume 5, chapter 9,10,11

in this system, you know volume 1 and volume 2 covers the same arc and volumes 3,4, and 5 covers another arc.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 03:43   Link #231
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Thanks Allen and everyone else for all of the info about the LNs.

At first I wasn't sure about this series, but wow. I picked up 1上 and 1下 2 weeks ago... been thumbing through them when I have a chance. Wow. There's great stuff in here, but also lots of new vocab to pick up, so I just started keeping a notebook to keep track of it all. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it.

I don't have any trouble reading Haganai, but this is definitely a step up in difficulty for me. I'll probably just go to Tora no Ana in Nagoya this weekend and pick the rest up while I can, though. (Might as well.)

So here's my actual Question:
Spoiler for back of the book design:
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 04:12   Link #232
Suiri Megami Alice
お兄ちゃんどいて! そいつ殺せない!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
I don't have any trouble reading Haganai, but this is definitely a step up in difficulty for me. I'll probably just go to Tora no Ana in Nagoya this weekend and pick the rest up while I can, though. (Might as well.)
If I rate it, it would be like this

Haganai - Lv 5
Horizon - Lv 99

Indeed it was a huge step up in difficulty. I have quite a lot of confidence in my Japanese but I always lose them when reading this book. I usually finish a book in 2 to 3 hours, but Horizon 1B took me 12 (or more I think).

Quote:
So here's my actual Question:
Spoiler for back of the book design:
Kawakami created his own universe and divided it into stages. These stages share some settings but is independent from each other.

stuopidget made a post regarding stages difference here.
Old 2011-11-04, 04:24   Link #233
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeruri View Post
If I rate it, it would be like this

Haganai - Lv 5
Horizon - Lv 99

Indeed it was a huge step up in difficulty. I have quite a lot of confidence in my Japanese but I always lose them when reading this book. I usually finish a book in 2 to 3 hours, but Horizon 1B took me 12 (or more I think).

HUGE difference between a RomCom and a Fantasy/Sci-Fi series

You might want to try something less content heavy first like Shana, Index, Rental Magica...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 04:53   Link #234
larethian

that's why you guys need to help Allen! He will get demoralized if he was the only doing it! At least do a short chapter if possible. I'm sure technical term vocab will go up
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 04:54   Link #235
Myname

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeruri View Post
Without that numbering system, when sometimes people just buy arbitrary volume number, after a few pages they realize the book they picked up is in middle of the arc (it'll be quite crazy to read a book starting from the middle, no?).
But doesn't that kind of apply to every other series? I mean if someone never read Shana and arbitrarily picked up v11, they'd have no idea what's going on.

And in the first place, why would anyone buy v02 before they've read v01 of anything if they haven't read/watched the series before? They'd have no background info or context.

I don't really care about the numbering system but just saying that doesn't seem like a valid reason.
Old 2011-11-04, 04:57   Link #236
Suiri Megami Alice
お兄ちゃんどいて! そいつ殺せない!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
But doesn't that kind of apply to every other series? I mean if someone never read Shana and arbitrarily picked up v11, they'd have no idea what's going on.

And in the first place, why would anyone buy v02 before they've read v01 of anything if they haven't read/watched the series before? They'd have no background info or context.

I don't really care about the numbering system but just saying that doesn't seem like a valid reason.
You could still make sense of the plot (at least the plot in that arc) if the book you picked up is a whole arc. But I don't think that's gonna apply here. Kawakami never mentions a reference or brief synopsis from previous part. For example, in Owari no Chronicle 3B, you'll be faced with a continuation of the fight that picked up from previous part. If you started reading from this part, you have no idea why are they fighting and what was the situation. He assumes you are reading the book in order.

I bought Kaguya Maoushiki v2 by the way. I couldn't get v1 in yesasia. I read it from v2, but it still made sense. Why did I buy it? I liked the illustration lol. One reason why people buy books in impulse. But yeah, people usually buy from the first volume, but there are still exceptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
that's why you guys need to help Allen! He will get demoralized if he was the only doing it! At least do a short chapter if possible. I'm sure technical term vocab will go up
I already did Chapter 2. Imoutolover did Chapter 1 and Yoake no Hikari is working on the prologue.

We need more translators or this will take forever. If only TP and js would consider this...

Last edited by Suiri Megami Alice; 2011-11-04 at 05:22.
Old 2011-11-04, 05:13   Link #237
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Is the difference in level really so huge?

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 05:19   Link #238
Suiri Megami Alice
お兄ちゃんどいて! そいつ殺せない!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy.Tear View Post
Is the difference in level really so huge?
No, I was just exaggerating in there.

But it's true that Kawakami's books are quite harder to read than others because of his writing style, the sheer amount of terminologies, slews of characters, and perspective played around frequently.
Old 2011-11-04, 05:26   Link #239
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Writing style's the only obstacle, terminologies will always stick in one's mind as they go through the series. There's no real technical terms, as everything is just regular vocabulary applied in different manners; perspective change can be hard to catch though.

I really love his descriptions.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 07:26   Link #240
Makall

Is Owari no Chronicle like a prequel to Horizon? Does this thread encompass the OnC novels as well?
Makall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boobs, harem, history, mecha, political negotiations, science fiction, shounen