AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-19, 05:38   Link #61
golgo13

Decent ending. Nice that they don't know about the bomb, although Robin came close in her classic detective and curious style.

I'm surprised that Nami didn't know about the triple log pose considering she was on weatheria for 2yrs. I suppose the argument is that she learned about the weather and not necessarily navigation in the new world but still..
Old 2012-01-19, 10:11   Link #62
Jouten

Oh god guys! What if Luffy fullfills his promise and gives his Straw Hat back to Shanks, than Blackbeard kills Shanks and takes the Straw Hat and Blackbeard destroys Fishmen Island?
Old 2012-01-19, 10:42   Link #63
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
As for Luffy wanting to meet up with Shanks, he's going to be in for a disappointment, for he'll see his idol/inspiration all right, but he'll be found on the ground dead at the hands of Blackbeard. It will be glorious .

lol, yep. I've long suspected that Shanks would meet that fate, as well. Though as james said, I wouldn't expect the event in question to happen anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I'm expecting a Skypiea style arc to launch the New World portion of the story; some grand adventure that has little to do with the actual story, but will still be great fun.

Yeah, a Skypiea-type arc would be swell. Though that would also mean that we'll need to get a few vague hints of future pivotal plot points just like we did at sky island (like how we had the moon civilization, the robot army, and the true identity of Poseidon, which was just revealed a few chapters back).....
Old 2012-01-19, 10:56   Link #64
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
correct me if I'm wrong but Madam Shirley was looking at Luffy's future not Fishman Island right?

So it's kinda weird if the one that are going to destroy the fishman island is some guy/pirates using a strawhat
No, it's the opposite actually.

Shirley felt something strange in Luffy, so she took a look at the crystal ball and saw that future. She can't see the future of individuals, she just views random things that will happen one day. Basically she just had a bad premonition regarding Luffy, and it was then when she looked at the crystal ball and saw that grim future.

But Luffy himself? He saved the island twice, one from the Noah, and two from Big Mom, not to mention he promised to make the island his turf. To suddenly destroy an island you want to make yours makes no sense.

So put it short, the man who will bring the island down could be anyone wearing a strawhat, and in this chapter we've just found out that the crystal ball is broken and that Jinbe will be ordering a strawhat identical to Luffy's for a fishman child. Too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

Hope I helped you out
Old 2012-01-19, 14:06   Link #65
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
No, it's the opposite actually.

Shirley felt something strange in Luffy, so she took a look at the crystal ball and saw that future. She can't see the future of individuals, she just views random things that will happen one day. Basically she just had a bad premonition regarding Luffy, and it was then when she looked at the crystal ball and saw that grim future.

But Luffy himself? He saved the island twice, one from the Noah, and two from Big Mom, not to mention he promised to make the island his turf. To suddenly destroy an island you want to make yours makes no sense.

So put it short, the man who will bring the island down could be anyone wearing a strawhat, and in this chapter we've just found out that the crystal ball is broken and that Jinbe will be ordering a strawhat identical to Luffy's for a fishman child. Too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

Hope I helped you out
Makes me wonder,how she predicted Whitebeard's death then if she can't predict a future of an individual(The man with a boomerang for a mustache ?),was it mentioned anywhere that she can't do that ?

Although it's interesting that they're buying a hat similiar to Luffy's,it's questionable whether we're actually going to go that far into the future,because the kid was really small,i don't see him destroying the Island anytime soon,unless someone actually takes away his hat,which doesn't make any sense.

As for the chapter itself :

Great chapter,it's getting harder and harder to wait for a new chapter every week :/
Old 2012-01-19, 15:38   Link #66
marvelB

Really, my biggest regret about this arc was how somewhat rushed it was. I understand that Oda was eager to get to the NW (he confessed that much himself a couple times in the past already), but it's sad that this had to happen during a crucial location like mermaid island. I think what felt most rushed to me was the flashback (or the first half of it, to be more specific. We only had like, 3 chapters of Tiger). I'm also sad that we never got to see that dojo that Hachi mentioned before the skip (guess we'll have to wait for the SBS to learn more about it now). Though I guess rushing the arc also somewhat worked as far as the villains were concerned (we even had that big speech about how Hody's gang were just a bunch of radical racists with little substance, after all).

But enough about the negatives. I think we can definitely expect things to be a bit more focused once we finally get to the NW (actually, the plot became more focused since the battle ended). And though it's somewhat unrelated to the Straw-Hats, I'm really looking forward to the Reverie (there's no reason why we shouldn't see it.... after all, we even saw the previous one during Chopper's flashback). I really can't help but feel that it would reveal many more interesting world events than the ones we learned these last few chapters.
Old 2012-01-19, 16:02   Link #67
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouten View Post
Oh god guys! What if Luffy fullfills his promise and gives his Straw Hat back to Shanks, than Blackbeard kills Shanks and takes the Straw Hat and Blackbeard destroys Fishmen Island?
Suspects and connections
Shanks at least has a connection to the hat. Shanks is waiting for Luffy to return the hat to him. Shirley also does not know the true owner of the hat. Also if she did screw up or misread this prophecy this won't be the first time a fortune teller was not able to get clear vision of future. Hawkins was not able to predict Luffy's fate at Marineford. When he wanted to see Luffy's survival rate. It never reached to Zero. I am just looking at the likely suspects. At first I thought Luffy would destroy it in this arch, but nothing happened. So that means either it will happen in the future or someone with a straw hat will do it. Shanks is the second most likely suspect since that hat is his. If Luffy does deliver that hat before the Island is destroyed, and Shanks is not the one, then who the person who going to do it? There is a chance Shirley might have misread the culprit behind the Island's destruction.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2012-01-19 at 16:15.
Old 2012-01-19, 17:09   Link #68
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Really, my biggest regret about this arc was how somewhat rushed it was. I understand that Oda was eager to get to the NW (he confessed that much himself a couple times in the past already), but it's sad that this had to happen during a crucial location like mermaid island. I think what felt most rushed to me was the flashback (or the first half of it, to be more specific. We only had like, 3 chapters of Tiger). I'm also sad that we never got to see that dojo that Hachi mentioned before the skip (guess we'll have to wait for the SBS to learn more about it now). Though I guess rushing the arc also somewhat worked as far as the villains were concerned (we even had that big speech about how Hody's gang were just a bunch of radical racists with little substance, after all).
It is no secret that I was mostly bored with this entire story arc. There was no real tension, and the new characters were uninteresting (besides a few fun designs) and the dillemma uninspired. Quite honestly, besides Brook, the best part of this entire arc was the ending, partially because it was an end but mostly becuase of the actual introduction of the New World.
Old 2012-01-19, 17:15   Link #69
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

How about this sceniro

If Shanks defeat Blackbeard

Luffy will now have to defeat Shanks if he wants to pirate king.
Old 2012-01-19, 17:57   Link #70
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It is no secret that I was mostly bored with this entire story arc. There was no real tension, and the new characters were uninteresting (besides a few fun designs) and the dillemma uninspired.

As far as the characters were concerned, while I actually liked most of the designs (especially Hyouzou's), what bothered me is that most of them didn't really get enough screentime to shine, y'know? For instance, aside from Tiger as I mentioned earlier, we barely even saw much of Den! Imagine the interesting moments we could have seen between Franky and the brother of his old mentor! Maybe they could have had a small chat about Tom's past before he moved to Water 7! THAT'S what disappointed me the most.... the lack little moments like that (and honestly, I wouldn't count on anime filler to further expand on those characters.... knowing its crappy pacing, we'd probably get some dumb, pointless filler episode about Sanji getting another nosebleed or something. ).

Ah, but no use crying over spilled milk. What's done is done, and the storyline will probably flow better when read in bulk, anyway (it sure felt that way for me when I reread Water 7 a while back). But I still can't deny that this arc left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth....
Old 2012-01-19, 19:26   Link #71
ellifeedn
Thinker

The Straw-hats being much more powerful than their opponents didn't really do much for me. I'm hopeful confident that things will get more interesting once we see the New World.
Old 2012-01-20, 04:39   Link #72
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I agree that this arc was a bit underwhelming, The blood sharing aspect was overplayed way too much. So you're telling me these guys never before in the manga needed a blood transfusion after getting beat up so much?
Old 2012-01-20, 08:01   Link #73
Talendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
So you're telling me these guys never before in the manga needed a blood transfusion after getting beat up so much?
To be fair, a shark biting your carotid artery is quite different from the kind of injuries luffy "usually" recieves and imo easily justifies that transfusion plot.
Old 2012-01-20, 10:31   Link #74
marvelB

^Maybe he was referring to the nosebleed gag (which in this case being "beaten up" refers to Sanji succumbing to his overwhelming lust....). And to be fair on THAT issue, we even had Usopp point out how ridiculous that scenario was, so it wasn't like Oda was trolling us or anything.

Actually, it's kinda ironic that Zoro ended up being the only one amongst the monster trio who came out of the recent battle unscathed. I mean, before the skip, he was the one who was usually bleeding the most buckets of blood!
Old 2012-01-20, 13:35   Link #75
noktown

Zoro is also the only character that didn't demonstrate lots of new techniques.

After the time-skip he usually takes out opponents off screen.
Old 2012-01-20, 15:23   Link #76
marvelB

Some interesting news: It looks like a new One Piece book called "One Piece Blue Deep" was just announced, and will be released this March. No other details aside from the title have been revealed so far, but methinks that this will be a new data book to commemorate the series' 15th anniversary. If so, it looks like the SBS thread will be seeing quite a bit of activity in a couple months' time.
Old 2012-01-20, 16:18   Link #77
Shingai-san

Eh, I think it's basically assured that the SH will be revisiting FI sometime in the future. Maybe Oda is holding off Den and the Dojo for that.

Ararararagi
Old 2012-01-20, 23:09   Link #78
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Some interesting news: It looks like a new One Piece book called "One Piece Blue Deep" was just announced, and will be released this March. No other details aside from the title have been revealed so far, but methinks that this will be a new data book to commemorate the series' 15th anniversary. If so, it looks like the SBS thread will be seeing quite a bit of activity in a couple months' time.
given the similarity in name to Sanji's deep blue, most likely it would a picture book of all the mermaids in this arc
Old 2012-01-21, 01:48   Link #79
marvelB

^Well, if that were the case, I'd think it would be called "All Blue" instead, but that's just me. Either way, more info should pop up next week.

And speaking of what I said earlier about the SBS thread, volume 65 will be released in a couple of weeks, as well. I hope Oda continues the trend from the last couple volumes and draws the marine admirals as kids....
Old 2012-01-21, 11:53   Link #80
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Speaking of trends from the last couple of volumes, any bets that the print run will be a couple of million again?
Closed Thread