AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2012-08-13, 16:36   Link #321
Mentar
Banned

Sankjuu, minna-san

Ariel/Syokool: Worried me for a bit, there :P
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 18:06   Link #322
Awrya
U mad?

Normally an aunt with 15&16 niece and nephew would be at least in her mid-late 30s, either she spends a ton of money on skin care or uses some magic

Despite Tatsuya's struggle against Mari, his fate was decided before school began
Old 2012-08-13, 18:06   Link #323
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Ahahaha

I was just trolling after reading the harsh comments there.
Expect more of that from me.

About auntie, she is surprisingly hot and younger than I tought

Still, my favorites are: Miyuki >>>>> Mayumi >>> Honoka
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 21:03   Link #324
Richocet
Lover of Purity

I was surprised how young she was, cuz the summaries made it seem like she was a bit older
Old 2012-08-13, 23:34   Link #325
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Normally an aunt with 15&16 niece and nephew would be at least in her mid-late 30s, either she spends a ton of money on skin care or uses some magic

Despite Tatsuya's struggle against Mari, his fate was decided before school began
yeah! now it's understandable why Mayumi approach Tatsuya in the opening ceremony. She's try to persuade him to make her plan succeed (enlist Miyuki into SC)

and Auntie that look young, I think she's drink formalin (Formaldehyde) to preserve her appearance
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 01:07   Link #326
Seitsuki
Onee!

Miyuki. Everyone wants Miyuki. End of story.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:22   Link #327
kfcpanda

surprised you haven't changed your avatar or sig to be that of her
kfcpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 04:15   Link #328
Seitsuki
Onee!

I consider m'lady's freely given gifts to be worth far more than my own current preferences, and far be it from me to add to her already busy schedule with requests or any frivolous such thing.

Just curious, do you guys prefer the manga or the LN?
Old 2012-08-14, 05:50   Link #329
kfcpanda

i like the light novel (summaries at least) just because of it having more content; i think i'd put them about equal or manga more if it were caught up to the LN point

but alas, there's still a helluva way to go before manga hits where LN is (or LN continuing for that matter) which is so very depressing to think about
kfcpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 07:53   Link #330
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Just curious, do you guys prefer the manga or the LN?
Aren't they more or less the same? I hear that author is current working on both LN, and the 2 mangas rather than just being credited with "original work".
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 08:01   Link #331
Mentar
Banned

If I could have 100 chapters of the manga, I'd probably prefer it

I like all versions, actually. Artwise, Rettousei is superior. On the other hand, Yuutousei offers additional insights which are not covered at all, which makes it extra interesting.

Seitsuki: Did you already get to tackle Yuutousei 3+4?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 08:21   Link #332
Sixth
Hu Tao

Seeing how everyone were praising this series...am I the only idiot who think this series is mediocre?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 09:28   Link #333
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Seeing how everyone were praising this series...am I the only idiot who think this series is mediocre?
Depends, at the end of the day what is "generally" thought to be a "good series" is due to strong writing, intricate plots, character development and a fully fleshed out world.

This has all of that, particularly if you read the light novels -- but if you're looking for pure shounen action or rom-com style .. you're likely in the wrong place. The protagonist is powerful, but he's definitely not a "hero" in a traditional sense.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 12:04   Link #334
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Not at all, there are no series that appeals to everyone.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 13:32   Link #335
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
lol..

idiot!!

just kidding..

no i actually loved the series at start... then as i got into it, my head exploded from all the explanations and technical stuff.

I read a LN to laugh and have fun, not try to make sense of physics and concepts.
I really dont like it when a manga tries to write its own rules with physics, because then you have way too much info you need to remember which doesnt apply to anything but this series.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 20:18   Link #336
Atrum023
Eternal Silence

I suppose it's all preference really. Everyone has something they like and dislike.

I actually appreciate the way Mahouka goes into all these technicalities in regards to magic. Having all these explanations serves to increase my immersion into the work and not just think its your typical work that goes on with magic but never actually explain how it works. After all, you can't really assume that the our world works the same way as the one in the story, thus rewriting reality to suit the author's needs and explaining it is a vital part of a good story (opinion wise).

This is probably one of the few reasons why I like both To Aru Majutsu no Index and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei.

And as for reading works, having a good laugh is of course appreciated, but having a good plot and well thought out universe is another thing that attracts me to a story. Although if it's too depressing it might repel me even though it has a good story...
Old 2012-08-14, 20:46   Link #337
larethian

The best thing is that these explanations are actually believable!

EDIT:
Quote:
This series is not mediocre if you are talking about 'quality' (of course, this word can be subjective because the yardsticks may be different from person to person, but I'll explain what I mean when I use this word). Mediocre series can be written by anyone. However, how 'good' a series is may not necessarily equate to entertainment value to a person. For example, I like series like Oreshura and Otaria because they have high entertainment value to me. But the stories and writing can only be seen as mediocre, with generic romance comedy plots and rehashed plot devices. Of course, there may be unique points about them that are brought about through the personality and experience of the authors. But they are far from masterpieces. Similarly, some series that may be considered as 'good' may have a low entertainment value to me because it's not 'my cup of tea'.

For Mahouka, it can't be considered mediocre. Because not everyone can write a series like that. Sure, on the surface, it appears shounen-ppoi, but it's more than just that. Perhaps it's not obvious in the manga, but one of the main commendable parts is that the story is very well fleshed out and many traits and tendencies of the characters are gradually inferred rather than being told. The setting is extremely detailed, and there's also a kind of congruency across arcs with respect to characters and plots that can only make one think that the author has done a lot of pre-planning and many things have been well-thought out. Furthermore, when the author uses computer science and physics to explain the basis of magic, he actually knows most of the subject matter that he's talking about, which makes it very believable. There are also a number of other things, but I just realized that this is the manga thread LOL so I won't go further. It also has its weaknesses which I won't go into as well. But if you ever have the chance to read the novel and judge it objectively, this is by no means mediocre.

And certainly, you are not an idiot for not liking it as much as others. It might just not be your cup of tea and thus has low entertainment value to you. Like what others have pointed out when they are talking about preference.

(There are also some who are into this series because of the brocon sister though )

Last edited by larethian; 2012-08-14 at 21:08.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 21:51   Link #338
Seitsuki
Onee!

Lies. Her Highness has so much more going for her than just that one aspect. To focus on that would be to lose sight of all the other qualities which make her such a great character. Her personality, charm, faithfulness, dere possessiveness, honesty, and much more besides are what truly define her. Of course her love for her Onii sama also counts, but it's more like a bonus. What makes Miyuki great is simply her being Miyuki.

..................although of course in no way is Miyuki the only reason Mahouka is good. Er. Tatsuya is a pretty great MC too. And the other dudes. Yeah.

Ch 3 is 1/3 done. Word density: greater than lead. Combat effectiveness: low. Reinforcements ETA: unknown

Completed Your Highness! o>

Last edited by Seitsuki; 2012-08-17 at 01:35.
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 21:33   Link #339
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Yuutousei chapter 3 half done here, just wait a litlle more. Also, don't forget I'm a evil, so I can being a troll again.
-------

About Miyuki, I was reading about how nice will be if she and Tatsuya end up together with the two of them being blood related.

I don't realy mind that aspect. I mean, Miyuki is a great character for being her, nothing more.
I think people will notice that fact when they will able to read about the Shiba sibilings' past.

Hmmm, now I remember, in Yuutousei 2 there are 2 important things in images:
1) Tatsuya and a lost knife.
2) Maya has a pretty similar face (?) to the Miyuki's, or so I think.
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 21:47   Link #340
Seitsuki
Onee!

Think about it! Incest simply concentrates genes. Generally this means bad ones, because they're the ones which are prone to be recessive (if they weren't you'd be dead) and someone in your family would be more likely have more copies of em than someone else at random in the population. So your children are statistically more likely to come out with with those genes expressed, which in general again are the bad ones (the good ones would likely be dominant since they confer competitive advantage.. etcetc.. 101 ftw). Inbreeding depression would only result further down the line.. blahblah..

On the other hand.. what if you were bringing together superior genes? As in, really really superior genes? Yeah. That's right.

This message was sponsored and approved by the Siscon conglomerate. © 2012 All rights reserved

No liabilities will be accepted for any loss, damage, disability or death resulting either directly or indirectly from this message.

Tags
irregular, koukou, mahouka, manga, rettousei, school life, shounen, yuutousei