AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-06, 14:51   Link #22401
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
You know what's missing from that story? I saw no references whatsoever to Windows or Microsoft. You know why I'm not worried about this problem? Because I run Linux.

I've gotten really tired of reading these stories where journalists talk about "malware on computers" without pointing to the fact that we're talking on "malware on computers that run Microsoft Windows." Of course, the journalists at the Independent aren't entirely to blame either. Nowhere in the linked materials at the FBI is there any mention of Microsoft Windows.

People keep getting fed the falsehood that all computers are equally vulnerable to malware. That's good for Microsoft's bottom line, and good for media agencies who receive millions of dollars each year in advertising from Microsoft. But it's a horrible disservice to the public at large and a major impediment to encouraging people to "just say no" to Windows and getting them to try something else.

Sadly every story about "malware" drives more and more people into the arms of the tablet manufacturers for whom computing is all about media consumption. I fear the day when everyone is just watching things that have been packaged for them by big media conglomerates. General-purpose computers are a remarkably empowering tool, but they're losing ground to client-only devices like tablets in part because of widespread fears of "malware on computers."

I can see these forces at work here in the Tech Support forum as well. Back when I first joined AS there was a small, but growing contingent of Linux users who made support requests in that forum. Now they have all disappeared. Either fewer and fewer AS people run Linux, or those of us that do either have few problems (likely), or have figured out how to fix the problems themselves.
Old 2012-07-06, 16:45   Link #22402
flying ^

i'd rather run with the world's best supported OS with the best countermeasure apps.

Spoiler for i'll just leave this here...:
Old 2012-07-06, 16:50   Link #22403
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
i'd rather run with the world's best supported OS
Windows? my ribs, my ribs
Old 2012-07-06, 16:57   Link #22404
flying ^

ever since sandboxie & bcwipe was released i see no reason to migrate to other OS-es
Old 2012-07-06, 16:59   Link #22405
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Windows? my ribs, my ribs
He didn't say "the best", just the "most supported." What other OS is more supported?
Old 2012-07-06, 17:05   Link #22406
flying ^

.. and not to mention battle tested!

Microsoft is fast at patching things up.
Old 2012-07-06, 18:15   Link #22407
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
.. and not to mention battle tested!

Microsoft is fast at patching things up.
I bet the Iranians once shared your optimism about Microsoft's speed at patching until Stuxnet exploited four security holes in Windows, including the .lnk vulnerability which Microsoft knew about but chose not to fix.
Old 2012-07-06, 19:19   Link #22408
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
He didn't say "the best", just the "most supported." What other OS is more supported?
Excuse me, but with ubuntu I get patches for posible vulnerabilities within days or weeks, not months or years. Microsoft has made people talking about vulnerabilities to stop enumerating them in the internet and have no intention in patching some of the vulnerabilities. I have said it before and I will repeat it, windows is for games, but for websurfing or serious stuff there are other alternatives. For all I care people can live with a false sense of security, their fukushima will come sooner or later.

Also, I get updates for most apps automatically (I do not have to open them for them to phone home to check for an update).
Old 2012-07-06, 19:43   Link #22409
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I used to work with Premier/Silver/Gold Microsoft Partner consulting firms... all I can do is laugh at such unvarnished belief in the fiction of Microsoft's "best support" or "most support". These days Microsoft is like an elephant with several brains and a dozen legs - the internal contradictions and tripping over its own feet.... well, its just lucky it has so much virtual mass <rofl>. Sometimes my comrades joke that it is "Ballmers all the way down".

Most businesses only stay with Windows if:
1) they have critical business applications that don't run on anything else and they can't afford the overhaul (aka they're captive) <---- (primary and most rational reason)
2) they're stupid and like to spend a lot of money unnecessarily.
3) the only guy with a clue is the CIO and he sticks with "Microsoft" for the same reason his ancestors stuck with "IBM" ... wave the flag and pretend there's no other option.
Old 2012-07-06, 20:24   Link #22410
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Ubuntu. Canonical is much, much more agile and quick to act when problems are detected than Microsoft has ever been.

I use Windows for one reason and one reason alone--I am a PC gamer, and I don't have the patience to try to mess around with Wine.
Old 2012-07-06, 21:04   Link #22411
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Ubuntu. Canonical is much, much more agile and quick to act when problems are detected than Microsoft has ever been.

I use Windows for one reason and one reason alone--I am a PC gamer, and I don't have the patience to try to mess around with Wine.
Often my office set up is two machines -- "serious business"==Ubuntu machine & "gaming" == Windows machine.

For servers, my choice is usually "OpenBSD".
Old 2012-07-06, 22:29   Link #22412
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I bet the Iranians once shared your optimism about Microsoft's speed at patching until Stuxnet exploited four security holes in Windows, including the .lnk vulnerability which Microsoft knew about but chose not to fix.
The .lnk flaw was (as the first story notes) patched, so I'm not sure this Trailrunner7 guy had it right about them having no plans to patch it. And I'm not sure what the exploitation of zero-day vulnerabilities has to do with the speed of patching. Obviously speed of patching matters not if the flaw is exploited before it becomes known, but I'm not sure if that's what you were intending to get at or not.

That said, I must admit that "we're not used by Iranians who get targeted by sophisticated cyberweapons" is a rather catchy little security argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Often my office set up is two machines -- "serious business"==Ubuntu machine & "gaming" == Windows machine.

For servers, my choice is usually "OpenBSD".
Dual machines is a much nicer option that having to reboot a lot - especially if you're like me and always have lots of stuff running in the background even when gaming. I could see it getting pricy in a lot of scenarios though (ie. I have a wimpy ultraportable that clearly does not have the power to VM the Windows apps I need for school and work on top of Linux and desktops in the two locations where I need a lot of power and storage space... dual machining would be a very pricy proposition there.)
That's an elegant way of getting around the "shut down everything in the background and reboot whenever you want to game" issue - the only issue being that keeping two desktops and a small ultraportable is stretching my student budget a bit as is. (And before someone suggests it... the ultraportable doesn't have anywhere near enough storage capacity to serve as

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-07-06, 22:59   Link #22413
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I could see it getting pricy in a lot of scenarios though (ie. I have a wimpy ultraportable that clearly does not have the power to VM the Windows apps I need for school and work on top of Linux and desktops in the two locations where I need a lot of power and storage space... dual machining would be a very pricy proposition there.)
Let me suggest what I have been doing for some years. Get yourself a cheap desktop out of used parts (hunt them down at amazon or ebay). The motherboard from where I am currently writing this was damn cheap, just had to pay a technician to change the capacitors. The CPU was used (and this is most of the time the most expensive piece of a computer). RAM has no moving parts therefore I have never had any trouble, albeit I sometimes find cheap NEW ram and buy it. The hard disk (and the cabinet w/power supply) I do not reccomend buying second hand. Sadly hard disks price skyrocketed and have just started going down slowly. You do not need to buy everything the same day, you can slowly build up a machine so you can have a nice piece of equipment in your room.
Old 2012-07-06, 23:22   Link #22414
flying ^

Not sure how much has changed since ubuntu 9.4 something something (last version i remember that demo-ed)... but one of the reasons I abandoned it is because the fonts just doesn't look right when I use it with firefox. It was headache inducing!
Old 2012-07-07, 00:30   Link #22415
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Kinda old, but...damn...

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/cai...too-much-money

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
Old 2012-07-07, 04:35   Link #22416
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
''Too much money for their own goods'' probably not. For anyone else goods, would be more likely.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:15   Link #22417
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

NSFW Sankaku : Outrage at Shiga Schoolboy Suicide Scandal

Quote:
The case of a schoolboy driven to jump off a building after relentless bullying at the hands of his classmates – apparently with the active participation of his teachers – has outraged Japan, as much as have the insistent attempts of his teachers and even local police to deny the bullying had anything to do with his death.

The incident occurred in the Shiga prefecture city of Otsu, where a 2nd year middle school boy jumped from his family’s apartment to his death after suffering intolerable bullying at the hands of his classmates and even apparently his teachers.

Both the nature of the abuse he suffered and the unwillingness of teachers to help have scandalised Japan – though not, it seems, any of the officials at the school or local authorities, all of whom have resolutely stonewalled any effort to connect his bullying to his death.

The school distributed a questionnaire about the bullying (the results of which it attempted to keep secret), and 14 students reported that teachers either overlooked it or actually participated – “the teacher warned us once but after that we laughed at him together.”

He was reportedly repeatedly beaten by multiple assailants in the school toilets, forced to eat dead wasps, and one occasion had a dead sparrow shoved in his mouth.

Other reports from the students suggested he was “repeatedly made to practice committing suicide,” was made to strip and then photographed, had his money and bank account details stolen, was made to shoplift, was repeatedly bound with tape and beaten, and of course was mercilessly mocked at every turn.

Even after his death, his classmates continued to deface and scrawl graffiti on a photograph of him displayed in their classroom.

Some students insisted the abuse was “just playing” and that he was just responding badly to them “messing around.”

He approached teachers about the abuse, but they apparently did nothing, and nothing came of approaches made by his parents to the school either.

One teacher who witnessed the bullying did feel it necessary to laughingly tell them “not to overdo it.”

His father also approached police and attempted to file a victim report and press charges of assault against the bullies, but police refused to accept that any crime had taken place and have further refused to comment as to why.

Since police refused to pursue charges, the boy’s family have been reduced to launching a ¥77,000,000 lawsuit against the school.

Students later reported being told by teachers “just ignore anyone who asks you questions about this,” “just don’t talk about any of this to anyone – keep your mouths shut” and “don’t say anything funny.”

The local school board actually admitted telling students not to talk about the incident, saying “there is no problem with telling pupils not to say anything unreliable.”

They also made a public statement saying “the bullies have human rights too, we have to think of their education.”

16 students reported knowing about the suicide practice in the questionnaire, but the school says it “cannot confirm it is true.”

The parents of some of the alleged bullies have also denied anything was amiss – one mother told the media “the reports were all from kids who had nothing to do with it, they are just saying what they heard.”

The lawyer of the boy’s parents has stated “it is unthinkable that 15 students would all write about exactly the same thing if it had no truth to it.”

His bereaved father said “they are throwing away the voices of the kids who so earnestly reported what they witnessed.”

In response to the lawsuit, the school submitted a defence to the court demanding the parents “tell us exactly who witnessed this bullying and where” and “explain just what the steps were which could have avoided his suicide?”

They deny there was any connection with the bullying and his suicide.
If Sankaku's reporting didn't blow it out of proportion, I am actually disgusted by the fact how the civil workers move to cover up and defend themselves with no regard for that kid.

It is a pity the kid didn't retailiate and escalated countermeasures beyond "police report" and "teacher report", then burned down the teacher's office - I doubt a can of petrol and a styrofoam board wouldn't have been unaffordable with his pocket money.

If the bullies have human rights, where is the victim's right of self-defence?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-07-08, 14:27   Link #22418
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Given the behavior of theschool authority, I would say than he had none. The bigger number always pass before the individual.

Annan arrives in Damascus, Syria tests missiles
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8610SH20120708
Quote:
Syria's navy fired live missiles from ships and helicopters over the weekend, in an exercise aiming at demonstrating its ability to "defend Syria's shores against any possible aggression", state media said.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Syrian opposition forces were growing more effective and the sooner the violence ended, the better were the chances of sparing Syria's government from a "catastrophic assault" by rebel fighters.

Assad said U.S. political support for "terrorists" was hindering Annan's peace plan and accused several Middle Eastern countries of supplying the rebels with arms and other support.

Syrian television aired video of a variety of missiles being fired from launchers on land and from ships, with Defence Minister Dawud Abdallah Rahijia in attendance.
Do someone really think than it would be effective, beside the little impact on the national side ?
Old 2012-07-08, 16:03   Link #22419
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
NSFW Sankaku : Outrage at Shiga Schoolboy Suicide Scandal

If Sankaku's reporting didn't blow it out of proportion, I am actually disgusted by the fact how the civil workers move to cover up and defend themselves with no regard for that kid.

It is a pity the kid didn't retailiate and escalated countermeasures beyond "police report" and "teacher report", then burned down the teacher's office - I doubt a can of petrol and a styrofoam board wouldn't have been unaffordable with his pocket money.

While I generally have a soft spot for the notion of community-focused or "collectivist" social groupings -- this is the dark side. The scapegoating, henpecking, lynching, etc. of one individual who may not have been in exactly the center of the lockstep.

Of course, it would be interesting to trace out how many of those public employee/officials had kids at the school and who may have been involved in the bullying...

Also... the "pack" can usually sniff out someone who *isn't* likely to effectively retaliate.
Old 2012-07-08, 16:35   Link #22420
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Violence, Threats Rise as Malaysia Election Nears
Quote:
The opposition filed a police report against UMNO lawmaker Mohamad Aziz after he asked in parliament last month whether leading electoral reform campaigner Ambiga Sreenevasan should be hanged for treason. The lawmaker retracted his remark two days, but was not censored by the party leadership.
Do you suppose Mr. Aziz would have been so quick to suggest hanging if Ms. Sreenevasan were Mr. Sreenevasan? As an American, it's always instructive to remember that, however extreme our election campaigns may seem at times, they're models of brotherhood by the standards of some other nations.

Is UMNO a victim of changing demographics in Malaysia? Are other ethnic groups growing faster than the Malays themselves?

In other news, Na Yeon Choi takes six-shot lead
Quote:
Choi is a bit of a pioneer in her own right. The LPGA’s Sean Pyun, director of tournament business affairs, said that Choi was the first Korean player to essentially say to her parents, Mom and Dad, I love you, but I need to do this on my own.

Choi wanted to immerse herself in the American culture. Where her Korean peers traveled exclusively with their parents, Choi wanted to make her own schedule. If she wanted to go to the mall after a round or have dinner with friends, she didn’t have to get permission.

It wasn’t that Choi had a poor relationship with her family. Quite the contrary. She simply wanted to experience an independent lifestyle, and other players are beginning to follow suit.
That had to have been the most difficult phone call Na Yeon has ever made in her life! Good for her! With two left holes to play in the final round as I write this, Choi holds a six-stroke lead over the field. Her round yesterday was one of the finesy single rounds of professional golf I've seen anyone play in the past few years. She shot a 65; the field averaged 78. I just wish Na Yeon didn't dress like a boy all the time.

The Women's Open is being held on the same course where Se Ri Pak won in a twenty-hole playoff fourteen years ago. That win inspired lots of young Korean women to pursue a professional golf career, so much so that they now dominate the American LPGA tour. Annika Sorenstam, the most dominant female player in the world until her retirement a few years back, was asked yesterday why the Asians were doing better than the Americans in ladies golf. Annika replied simply that "the Asians work harder." Where have I heard that before?

First prize is $585,000. Nice chunk of change for a 24-year-old.

Speaking of cash, why are the Japanese the second biggest donor nation to Afghanistan after the US? Tokyo hosted this weekend's international conference of donors. On top of the $5 billion they have already sent to Afghanistan, Japan pledged another $5 billion over the next five years. Why is Japan so interested in Afghanistan? It's still one of the poorest places on earth with no oil or other obvious assets besides poppies. Is it just to make the Americans happy? Has this largess stimulated much opposition within Japan?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-07-08 at 17:05.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international