Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-12-13, 15:31   Link #1
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Ebooks: Ebook-stores and discussion

Since I now have a Ereader I figured it wouldn't be so hard finding proper websites where you could buy books for it. But it surely is not as easy as it looks.
So I decided to make a thread where us Ereaders can share information about where we buy our books

I must add that this topic is not for the purpose of sharing links to illegal sites, asking is considered not allowed!

We have a where to buy anime/manga section, I figured it would be handy to have one for Ebooks. Cause a lot of sites I end up with either have computer programming books o.o; or only recent books.
So this topic has the following purpose:
* sharing links to legal Ebook websites where you can buy books

And why the share information part? If looking for a specific Ebook and you're not having any luck at it in your Ebook store then you can look it up in the links people have listed here and still buy it

Why I made this topic, my Ereader has as store a Dutch site that doesn't give out many of the books I want to buy. I am looking for the Sword of truth series as well as the Nightrunnner series and their websites fails at finding most of the fantasy books I like. So let us share Ebook-stores and if anyone knows where I can buy the top two series then I'd be grateful

Also a question about the kindle store, if you buy books there then they are only for a kindle right? For an Ereader of another brand etc. it is not possible to receive those books?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 21:58   Link #2
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I've never bought an Ebook...but when I found out one of my fave manwha series would only be continued this way (in English) I got pretty mad....

I just like having books in my hand.
Old 2009-12-13, 23:41   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's a great *free* and *legal* location for many classics:

The Gutenberg Project: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
Old 2009-12-15, 06:56   Link #4
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I don't really like ebooks. I prefer reading them on paper because I don't like reading literature on a screen, and solid books feel much more alive.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 08:43   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
I don't really like ebooks. I prefer reading them on paper because I don't like reading literature on a screen, and solid books feel much more alive.
True, but lack of cash and space make ebooks a lot easier
I found Sword of Truth, current price is $4,99 for all 12. For that price I'd gladly buy them, specially if I don't know if I will like them but if I don't then I'd rather have spend 4,99 for all 12 than something a lot higher prized, it would be a waste to leave them standing here and not read them

Books on paper will always be preferred, even by me but ebooks save me a lot of money spending. Specially schoolbooks, here they are so very damned expensive
If it is a classic and old book then I'll buy it, that is what I collect but even then only books that I really like or find interesting (those books you can't find as ebook to begin with)
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 08:52   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm like Yoko.. prefer the "real thing". However, for *TRAVELING* or professional work --- this is a godsend. Imagine being able to put the entire O'Reilly series of computer topics on a little e-jobbie. Or every scientific reference manual...

Or lets say that translating a manga series is your hobby - instead of carrying the whole series on holiday, you can just carry an ebook.

There are already universities using entirely "online" e-textbooks, this would fit right in.

This, of course, leads to a philosophical discussion on buying the same item "twice" in two formats -- but the consumers of the planet seem to be okay with that (vinyl LP->8track->cassette->CD->virtual).
Old 2009-12-15, 09:10   Link #7
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

As much as I adore having a book in my hand, the fact that I am a speedreader and able to read a few hundred pages in a couple of hours (drives hubby insane) would mean my house would be wall to wall books. Therefore, After buying and reading Wicked by Gregory Mcguire in like 2-3 hours, hubby looked over and asked if I could please NOT buy anymore books LOL

So, until we buy a bigger house where I can have a dedicated library, then ebooks it is Amazon/Borders and most other online retailers have begun offering books in ebook format, so for those of us who don't have the space (or read on their cell phone like I do EVERYWHERE they go), ebooks are a must. I have a 1gb card in my phone, and have a LOT of books on there.

Somehow, I prefer that over going to the library every couple of days

As for sites, don't forget ebooks.com, and also google books has SOME public domain, etc for viewing (but those aren't ebooks in the classic sense). I also use fictionwise.com FWIW

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, ereader, stores