Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-22, 22:05   Link #21
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
You double posted, and i jump for joy!

now then, does anyone know another source for narutaru other than triad? My computer does NOT like divx encodes from triad.....dunno why =/.
Just dl ffdshow alpha from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/f..._mirror=aleron. Make sure u remove all other codecs before installing the ffdshow. With it installed you can play virtually any divx/xvid avi file without any problems.

Last edited by Keitarou20; 2004-01-22 at 22:20.
Old 2004-01-22, 22:19   Link #22
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Just dl ffdshow alpha from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/f..._mirror=aleron. Make sure u remove all other codecs before installing the ffdshow.
You don't have to remove your codecs to use ffdshow
Old 2004-01-22, 22:23   Link #23
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
You don't have to remove your codecs to use ffdshow
But its best to if they are screwed, as it seems in this case.
Old 2004-01-22, 22:34   Link #24
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyArea
But its best to if they are screwed, as it seems in this case.
Doubt that, but, I think I already have ffdshow, but if not i'll dl it and set it to use that(my player uses the generic divx library to read divx movies...and doesn't usually have probs so..meh.)
Old 2004-01-22, 23:04   Link #25
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
As bayoab said, this is a false alarm. It's just a re-showing of S1
Old 2004-01-22, 23:09   Link #26
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Damn you Animenfo for getting me all excited.
Old 2004-01-23, 01:08   Link #27
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Though if a second season ever does happen, we'll definitely do it.
Old 2004-01-23, 01:20   Link #28
TronDD
Team the box!

So am I the only one that found even the first episode to be creepy as hell? I was hooked on this show in the first 3 seconds.

I just watched the first minute again. Come on, that's scary as all hell. I'm still creeped out.
Old 2004-01-23, 01:31   Link #29
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
A second season is nothing more than a dream.
Old 2004-01-23, 01:32   Link #30
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Damn you animenfo, for getting my hopes up, just to have them shattered into a thousand pieces. Well I guess I'll just have to settle for the manga, which is better anyway. For any of you who didn't know, it's called shadow star in the US release.
Old 2004-01-23, 02:02   Link #31
TronDD
Team the box!

Will the manga go further than the anime series? I heard the manga was cancelled too. I'd really like some kind of conclusion to this story. I'd pay the writer myself if that'd do it.
Old 2004-01-23, 02:04   Link #32
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
So am I the only one that found even the first episode to be creepy as hell? I was hooked on this show in the first 3 seconds.

I just watched the first minute again. Come on, that's scary as all hell. I'm still creeped out.
Scary, eh? I was severely dissapointed after the first few minutes, but it slowly got better, and worse, and better, and worse, and I'm still inbetween because the torrent will ALWAYS go at like 200kb/sec then STOP at around 95-98%. Triad doesn't like me, I swear.
Old 2004-01-23, 02:39   Link #33
marin

Oh why did you have to mislead me like this

If this happens again I'm going to get angry

And you wouldn't like me when I'm angry
Old 2004-01-23, 03:24   Link #34
NeverRamza

Damn you all for getting my hopes up.

First, Narutaru is awesome. I loved it from the first episode to the last.

But anyway, the anime series is about exactly the first half of the manga series, which has already ended. Also, it has been concluded.
Old 2004-01-23, 14:46   Link #35
The dreamer

So, there's a second saison or not ?
Old 2004-01-23, 15:10   Link #36
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dreamer
So, there's a second saison or not ?
Not as far as we can tell. Seems like a false alarm due to inaccurate info at AnimeNfo once again.

The manga (in the US, renamed Shadow Star) is currently being serialized in Dark Horse/Studio Proteus' Super Manga Blast. Collected volume 5 of the manga will soon be out (although the volumes of the US manga do not seem to line up precisely with the Japanese volumes on stopping points).

The Japanese (source obviously) manga concluded last year at volume 12. The anime version of Narutaru covers roughly the first half of the manga, with exclusions (due to time constraints).

The funny thing about the AnimeNfo goof is the series count in parenthesis (24). Last time I checked, 13 + 13 was not 24. I guess the moral of the story here is that you should wait to get excited about something you see posted somewhere on the Internet, until a reliable source confirms.

"I read it on the Internet, so it must be true!"
Old 2004-01-23, 15:52   Link #37
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

"Volume 5" is coming out in March, per the Dark Horse web page.

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-571
Old 2004-01-23, 15:56   Link #38
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Why do I get the impression that the distributors or the author goes around pretending it's a kids anime and then giving everyone a heart attack. I've heard the manga has been cancelled in some other countries too and it seems weird that it appeared on the kids channel, not to mention how it totally pretends to be a cute pokemon clone in the initial episodes.

As for season 2, I dunno.. maybe we should leave this one at season one and read the manga just like berserk
Old 2004-01-23, 16:55   Link #39
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
Why do I get the impression that the distributors or the author goes around pretending it's a kids anime and then giving everyone a heart attack. I've heard the manga has been cancelled in some other countries too and it seems weird that it appeared on the kids channel, not to mention how it totally pretends to be a cute pokemon clone in the initial episodes.

As for season 2, I dunno.. maybe we should leave this one at season one and read the manga just like berserk
While it is true that many (including Studio Proteus/Dark horse) had no idea what they were getting into with Narutaru (Shadow Star), I don't feel that it was misleading as a marketing gimmic. Expecting one thing and finding out that the truth is very different is a bit of a constant theme in Narutaru.

Only if you begin watching Narutaru with preconceived notions can you mistake the first episode for a Pokemon clone. The uneasy music, the erie set of events, the...
Spoiler:
Some who are shocked by Narutaru are operating under the assumption that all kids are kind, gentle, innocent, and good creatures. That's what society likes to believe. Often, however, the opposite is true. Children, under the right circumstances, can become the most freightening of monsters, or bullies, or thugs. Stalin, Mussilini, Teto, and Hitler did not became what they were overnight. Usually children don't have much power outside of their peers. But what if some of these dangerous teens did gain power?

The "Kids Station" doesn't just cater to little kids. It has shown some very violent shows and is currently showing (or slated to show) Neon Genesis Evangelion. Besides, what people feel is appropriate for children/teens in American and Japan tends to differ.

I personally think that Narutaru is a great show for young adults. It asks a lot of heavy questions that deal with everything from the value of life, to dictatorship, bullying and self worth.
Old 2004-01-23, 17:22   Link #40
marin

Well for one, given the time it aired, it obviously wasn't a Kids Slot on the Kids Station.

Regardless, the NaruTaru anime probably threw people a few off by 2 things:

1) Skipping the violent confrontation on the flight back that was in the manga, which introduced the life-or-death stakes that were involved in this series early on.

2) Toning down the first violent confrontation by a large degree. No blood, we don't even see grey-haired boy impaled, etc.

This made it easy to wonder if they weren't trying to make a "kindler, gentler" version of NaruTaru for some reason.
Closed Thread