AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-23, 08:37   Link #101
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalnet View Post
I am not too sure which how many runs are needed to be ahead and in what inning to end in a called game in Japanese high school baseball. Because there was this one high school game where the score 66-0 by the 2nd inning and the game was called using the mercy rule. Officially, the game is recorded as 9-0 ending in the 2nd inning.
That has to be some sort of exception. I know I read how the called game works in one of the baseball manga I've been reading. I'll try to look it up after work if no one else has answered by then, but IIRC it's supposed to be if one team is up by 7 or more points at the end of the 7th, but then it drops by one for each inning after that (6 after 8, 5 after 9).
Old 2010-04-23, 20:26   Link #102
Major1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
That has to be some sort of exception. I know I read how the called game works in one of the baseball manga I've been reading. I'll try to look it up after work if no one else has answered by then, but IIRC it's supposed to be if one team is up by 7 or more points at the end of the 7th, but then it drops by one for each inning after that (6 after 8, 5 after 9).
In the case of the 66-0 game, a minimum number of innings need to be finished before the mercy rule comes into effect. That was a somewhat exceptional case.

As far as what Abe is trying to do, the game is called if the lead is at least 10 after 5 innings or at least a 7 run lead after at least 7 innings. Obviously any lead after 9 full innings is a win.

In the second episode, Abe says that if they shut them out, 2 runs an inning will be enough. That would put them up by 10 after 5 innings, which would end the game then and there.
Major1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 22:14   Link #103
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You know, OoFuri puts me in mind of a scene from "Seinfeld".

JERRY: What else did you two do?

ELAINE: Oh, I don't know, you know, girlie stuff.

JERRY: Ah, so, ah, flower shows and, shopping for pretty bows, and then

back to her place, strip down to bra and panties for a tickle fight?

ELAINE: That's really what you think girls do, isn't it?

JERRY: Yes, I do.

That's effectively what's going on with the manga-ka here. There's a sort of idealized, shoujo view of what teenaged boys are like that runs through this series that could only have come from a woman. Still - that's the source of much of the charm, I suppose.

One thing I especially love about OoFuri is how it really makes the opposing teams sympathetic - they aren't just cardboard cut-outs or cartoon villains. And because the boys in this series are so fecklessly likable, you can't help but feel sorry for the losing team when things go badly for them.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 00:00   Link #104
imbehindyou
turn around...

Loved episode 4 as well! ...though I felt really bad for Sakitama team
Anyway, did anyone think that It-chan (pitcher for Sakitama) looks like Kanou?

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 10:11   Link #105
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's effectively what's going on with the manga-ka here. There's a sort of idealized, shoujo view of what teenaged boys are like that runs through this series that could only have come from a woman. Still - that's the source of much of the charm, I suppose.
Ha Ha yeah I suppose there is sort of an idealistic view of teenage boys. Well I don't necessarily think their personalities are inaccurate (Tajima especially reminds me of a lot of teenage boys I used to know) but the kindness/closeness might be a little much. From what I recall in my teenage days the boys used to show they cared by heckling & making fun of each other.
Old 2010-04-29, 13:10   Link #106
Connavar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Ha Ha yeah I suppose there is sort of an idealistic view of teenage boys. Well I don't necessarily think their personalities are inaccurate (Tajima especially reminds me of a lot of teenage boys I used to know) but the kindness/closeness might be a little much. From what I recall in my teenage days the boys used to show they cared by heckling & making fun of each other.
I think we can forgive the lack of realism about the boys relationship. Its alot of the charm,strenght of the series imo that the boy characters have a softer friendship.

The female mangaka's point of view is refereshing about that. The BL moments is really funny too.

Also Mihashi is not the easiest character to like when he isnt being funny or when he isnt in a game. The other guys make him less annoying.
Connavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 14:54   Link #107
Theowne
耳をすませば

Ep4 was really fantastic, it was the first episode that truly brought back the really great, intense feeling of the games from the original. And also Oofuri's knack for humanizing the opposing team as well.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 15:41   Link #108
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well episode 5 finally got subbed. Quite fun to watch. Seems that the future powerhouse opponent intends to take them seriously.

Hanai got some good development.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 19:03   Link #109
Theowne
耳をすませば

I really enjoyed the character development in this episode, as well as the amusing "bullying" scene between Tajima/Hanai/Mihashi. The game itself was of course a pleasure to watch...and I look forward to seeing a more "serious" game, which appears to be coming up soon.

Old 2010-05-07, 20:19   Link #110
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Whoa, it's moving at a much faster click now but with the character development we got I'm not unhappy about it (and it was fairly obvious from episode count alone that they were going to win this match and win it quickly).
So, an episode or two training and then the next match? That was only five so they could get in another match in five episodes or so, has an official episode count been released yet? who am I kidding, Japan has commitment issues with episode counts
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 22:41   Link #111
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

nee... can someone make a nice avatar of Mihashi drooling on the last few minutes of the episode 5...? looks great in avatars. I think it was 22:01- 22:04? or whatever that looks nice ^^
Old 2010-05-09, 12:04   Link #112
Theowne
耳をすませば

Early release this week....go get it.

Old 2010-05-09, 16:14   Link #113
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Episode 6 is already out! Wonderful.

Mainly a setup episode, but it also had some good development for Abe and Rin. Abe really does live and breath baseball apparently. "What events are you in for the sports festival? Lose right away".

Also we are leaping directly to a new game next episode, and it looks to be a one episode game. I guess because their next match after that is with the other team they've been developing. The "D seed" Bouji (sp?). Also, something strange is going on on that team, especially with the catcher's position. The assistant coach is putting out Daimon-like vibes.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-05-09, 22:28   Link #114
firehawk12

Favorite gag of the episode is when they realize Momoko's age and then freak out. 7 tears isn't that big a difference!
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 21:16   Link #115
imbehindyou
turn around...

Next game's really short, so I guess it won't take up that much time, but I wonder if they can fit entire vs Bijou in rest of the episodes. It's pretty long, and for me, vs Bijou game brought the series to a whole another level, so (if it ever gets adapted) then I wish for a really good adaptation of it.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 00:04   Link #116
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk12 View Post
Favorite gag of the episode is when they realize Momoko's age and then freak out. 7 tears isn't that big a difference!
Borderline! It's borderline isn't it?

Silly kids.

Old 2010-05-11, 00:05   Link #117
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I've always considered this series to be a woman's payback or all the female moe series and characters male writer's have done during the last decade.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 00:08   Link #118
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I've always considered this series to be a woman's payback or all the female moe series and characters male writer's have done during the last decade.
See, as a man, I am totally fine with giving girls the idea that the secret life of men is an idealized world filled with bromance. No need to destroy their poor innocent minds with the brutal reality.

Old 2010-05-11, 00:17   Link #119
Theowne
耳をすませば

I must be strange because I think this aspect of the show has exaggerated greatly. Anywhoo, episode 6 was nice, next game seems to be a short one....and here I sit, hoping for another 26 episodes.

Old 2010-05-11, 00:36   Link #120
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the homoerotic aspect has been exaggerated to some extent, but only because the actual tone is so much more innocent than that. It's like a 12 year-old girl's idealized vision of boy's life - the camaraderie, the bonding, the tears when things don't go right - it's BL meets Tiger Beat. Mafuyu mixed with Norman Rockwell. It's a strange concoction, but has an undeniable charm to it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports