AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-18, 20:56   Link #21
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I'll say guy because he as no female features. If "it" thought it was a girl it would have had boobs. The form it picked points to a guy so it must be. but hey.. if envy doesn't know.. who knows.
Old 2004-05-18, 21:35   Link #22
Zauren
Master of Pimpage

Greed probably knows. But there's the chance that Envy was never human, also. Or the idea that I like, that he's neutral purposefully and just thinks that the /form/ is cute to other people. ...Not that anyone would given how ambiguous it is, and Lust seemed more amused then anything else by his choice. =)
Old 2004-05-19, 05:05   Link #23
state_alchemist

well, considering that this thread is still going , I go ahead and ask another question about Envy. When this anime is released next year, do u think that funimation will choose a guy or a girl to do Envy's voice????
Old 2004-05-19, 05:45   Link #24
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Quote:
Originally Posted by state_alchemist
well, considering that this thread is still going , I go ahead and ask another question about Envy. When this anime is released next year, do u think that funimation will choose a guy or a girl to do Envy's voice????
Someone mentioned earlier that Envy's state of gender is unknown. His current form is that of a teenage male - but we're still yet to determine if he really is a male. So FUNimation would most likely lean towards a guy - preferably a slick voice similiar to Ed's.
Old 2004-05-19, 11:36   Link #25
Riese
Brutal Killer Math Logic

Send a message via ICQ to Riese
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Someone mentioned earlier that Envy's state of gender is unknown. His current form is that of a teenage male - but we're still yet to determine if he really is a male. So FUNimation would most likely lean towards a guy - preferably a slick voice similiar to Ed's.
Envy's JP voice actor is female. Her name is Yamaguchi Mayumi. She plays Forte in Galaxy Angel, among various little roles here and there in Digimon and Ojamajo Doremi.

While I don't believe that the US dub has to mirror every single aspect of the JP one, hopefully the US producers will be open to hiring a quality female VA if she proves to be the best fit for a male or in this case, ambiguous character.
Old 2004-05-19, 14:46   Link #26
Zauren
Master of Pimpage

I think they might make an obvious-male voice, and then make everyone question Envy's sexuality rather then question his gender ambiguity. Which is different! ... I think. But I do know Envy would be a lot more wierd if he just seemed to be a guy in a skirt, that's for sure.
Old 2004-05-22, 08:36   Link #27
Mephista
Kemono no Renkinjutsushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riese
Envy's JP voice actor is female. Her name is Yamaguchi Mayumi. She plays Forte in Galaxy Angel, among various little roles here and there in Digimon and Ojamajo Doremi.

While I don't believe that the US dub has to mirror every single aspect of the JP one, hopefully the US producers will be open to hiring a quality female VA if she proves to be the best fit for a male or in this case, ambiguous character.
I doubt they'll manage to get a decent male impersonator; they didn't even get a girl to do AL's voice... >_< Apparently they don't like girls doing guys' voices in american productions as much as they do in japanese ones. I could live with them casting a male voice actor for envy if he has a young-sounding voice, but they'd better not stray from the tenor range. For some reason, i can see them using the guy who did the dub voice of duo maxwell from gundam wing and protoman from the american megaman cartoon... it would be very wrong, but i will so laugh if that happens.
Old 2004-05-22, 20:05   Link #28
usbport
Universal Serial Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akazukin Ookami
Since the Homunculus aren't human, I always thought they aren't actually 'guys' or 'girls'...though most of them look and act like one or the other.
Homunculus are akin to humans in every way concerning to basic form, that means they have "those" parts too.
Old 2004-05-30, 13:15   Link #29
h3lldiver

Send a message via ICQ to h3lldiver Send a message via MSN to h3lldiver
hm maybe since he/she forgot his/her real form, then she just mixed the form, girl-like hair, man-like chest and so on
Old 2004-05-31, 00:42   Link #30
Bean Sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3lldiver
hm maybe since he/she forgot his/her real form, then she just mixed the form, girl-like hair, man-like chest and so on
I'm a guy and i have similar hairs -.-

That form is definitively male for me
Old 2004-06-06, 12:07   Link #31
Angela Sanctisstessa
I'm a boy..K?

Send a message via ICQ to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via MSN to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Sanctisstessa
he is nothing in my eyes
Old 2004-06-08, 08:43   Link #32
Momochi Zabuza
Devil of the Mist

Send a message via MSN to Momochi Zabuza
I'm pretty sure Envy is a man.
Old 2004-07-25, 11:53   Link #33
full_metal_31
*anime lova*

Send a message via MSN to full_metal_31
Is Envy a guy or gal???

I'm sooooo confused...first i thought he/she was a girl until my brother said he/she is a guy of course so now i'm soooo confused.
Can someone tell me what gender Envy is??

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-07-26 at 02:03. Reason: Threads Merged
Old 2004-07-25, 12:14   Link #34
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I think Greed said it best. Envy is a MONSTER!

For the purpose of discussion, Envy is a guy because his present "normal" form is that of a young male. But since he himself cannot remember his original form and being a non-human without a soul, I don't think it's even relevent.

So for the sake of discussion, we use "he".
Old 2004-07-25, 12:16   Link #35
Avarice

Envy IS of a male gender. In other words, Envy is a GUY/BOY/MALE. lol. yeah, it is kind of hard to tell whether or not he is a guy/girl, mainly because of the way Envy looks and the voice. in fact, i even thought he was a girl the whole time until Episode 22 or so where Ed is at the 5th Laboratory and stuff and then like Envy's voice from in the wayy beginning episodes had gotten a bit, a BITTTTT more masculine-sounding. and thats when i presumed he was a guy and with the other Homunculus' were referring to Envy as a 'he', that made me KNOW that he was a guy. so basically, to answer ur question - ENVY IS A GUY.
Old 2004-07-25, 13:02   Link #36
full_metal_31
*anime lova*

thx!!! now i know that he's a guy...bad news is my bro gonna stuff it in my face..o well lol thx agn!

Last edited by full_metal_31; 2004-07-25 at 23:11.
Old 2004-07-25, 21:17   Link #37
Rattus
Nibbling on the drywall

Yep, Envy uses a male pronoun when he talks about himself, so he's either male, or very confused (possible considering the way he dresses!)
Old 2004-07-26, 12:17   Link #38
full_metal_31
*anime lova*

um.....i actually started this thread so how come it says state_alchemist started it??? Thats kinda mean.
Old 2004-07-26, 12:25   Link #39
full_metal_31
*anime lova*

Quote:
Originally Posted by state_alchemist
IS envy a guy or a girl? I can never figure that out. And yes I know that I am being stupid right now.
I started this thread how did u take it from me???????
Old 2004-07-26, 12:35   Link #40
wolfi_1412
kid(%)

I'm sorry for jumping to this discussion, but I think Envy is male, because there's no way he can be a girl...... his acts and his looks. about Envy having long hair, a lot of guys have long hairs.. Ed hav long hair (but not realli long) and about Envy wearing a skirt, people from Scotland wearing skirts too!
Closed Thread