AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-03-15, 17:58   Link #1
mg1942

The Pacific (HBO mini series)

just watched the premier last night

I expected it to be a bit more like Band of Brothers. Whole first episode of training, etc. They sure got on with the firefights quickly. Their view of the Battle of Savo Island was pretty surreal too.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-15, 18:05   Link #2
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

"Oh hey, one of them's still alive. Don't worry, we'll get you all patch-"
"BANZAI!"
BLAMMO!
"...ok, new plan. No prisoners"
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-15, 18:11   Link #3
mg1942

It'll be like that until Peleliu and later. Can't be good memories for them.
Old 2010-03-15, 18:21   Link #4
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

I hope they do a good job showing the dark side of war and its effects on the soldiers in the later episodes.

I'm actually looking forward to this more than Band of Brothers.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-15, 21:49   Link #5
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I cant watch it since I dont have HBO in less its some where online
Old 2010-03-16, 12:00   Link #6
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Ep 1 is available legally on hbo.com. (but of course BT downloads are easy to find.)

Avoid the wiki articles of the main characters if you don't what "spoilers" on who will die.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 21:19   Link #7
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I'd like to take a moment to clarify something. Rambo is a fucking pussy.

Hey I'm John Basilone. Roaming the jungles of Guadalcanal. Alternating firing my 23 kilogram machine gun from the hip, to using it as a blunt object to wreak havoc on my enemies.
Old 2010-03-22, 03:29   Link #8
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
just watched the premier last night

I expected it to be a bit more like Band of Brothers. Whole first episode of training, etc. They sure got on with the firefights quickly. Their view of the Battle of Savo Island was pretty surreal too.
You mean mowing down soldiers in the middle of the night that seemed to have no other plan then to charge straight forward into muddy water and attempt to overwhelm the Americans with numbers? I've heard that the Japanese had unconventional tactics during WWII but that was definitely one for the books. After hiding in the woods all that time with that many numbers you would think they were ninja and then they come out and bungle it horribly.

Still a pretty accurate depiction of the Tennoheika Banzai tactic.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 08:06   Link #9
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

As far as I can get, all that time that the Japanese spent fighting Chinese militia and the more rear line colonial troops primarily being used for garrison duty left them unprepared for fighting a motivated, well equipped and trained tip of the spear unit like the Marines. Looking at the Guadalcanal campaign as a whole, it just seems to be a long repeat of the Japanese fighting with fanatical audacity, only to be killed by the Marines very disproportionate numbers without managing to achieve their objectives.
Old 2010-03-22, 12:26   Link #10
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I've heard that the Japanese had unconventional tactics during WWII but that was definitely one for the books. After hiding in the woods all that time with that many numbers you would think they were ninja and then they come out and bungle it horribly.

Still a pretty accurate depiction of the Tennoheika Banzai tactic.
The Japanese were not native jungle fighters. Nor was the jungle a feature in the Chinese campaign. Their troops suffered as much and eventually more (as their supply lines collasped) from the jungle than the US. Guadacanal and New Guinea particularly stand out as environments where the jungle was as feared if not moreso than the enemy by both sides.

Spoiler for potential spoilers:

Last edited by mg1942; 2010-03-22 at 12:38.
Old 2010-03-22, 17:44   Link #11
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

It really is interesting to observe the differing adherence to Bushido displayed by the men who militarily unified Japan (Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, Tokugawa) and the Imperial Japanese military in WW2. In the cases of the former you get a great sense of them having a great deal of pragmatism in the way they conducted themselves in battle and understanding the impact of their modern weapons, despite coming from a medieval honor based warrior caste. By the time the period of warring states came to an end, the Japanese were fighting battles with weapons and doctrine which were easily comparable to that of their European counter parts who'd they'd never met.

Look at the Imperial Japanese Army on the other hand in the early stages of WW2, and at points it seems like they're oblivious to the fact that they're fighting a modern war. You sort of get a sneaking suspicion after couple of centuries of peace and isolationism, the practical aspects of a societies martial ethos falls to the wayside in favor of the more romantic aspects of it.

Of course maybe it's just the fact that the Japanese didn't get the benefit fighting a large scale war against an industrialized enemy like most of the other modern powers got to do during WW1. In that war you also saw significant focus on on nonsense like "fighting spirit" being clumsily used to try to overcome doctrinal deficiencies to disastrous results.
Old 2010-03-23, 09:59   Link #12
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'd like to take a moment to clarify something. Rambo is a fucking pussy.

Hey I'm John Basilone. Roaming the jungles of Guadalcanal. Alternating firing my 23 kilogram machine gun from the hip, to using it as a blunt object to wreak havoc on my enemies.
At least Rambo took down the whole Soviet Union in the 1980's of Afghanistan. Also 1980s were more badass then the 40s and 50s. No let's John and Rambo fight each other to death and let's see true badass of the American Hero.
Old 2010-03-23, 17:49   Link #13
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

So you're saying that actors pretending to be war hero's are more bad-ass than actual war heroes?
Old 2010-03-24, 00:23   Link #14
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
In Episode 02 we get to see Basilone doing his thing.

Spoiler:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 10:31   Link #15
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
So you're saying that actors pretending to be war hero's are more bad-ass than actual war heroes?
I was being sarcastic you know, but I will see The Pacific soon enough, If this Basilone dude is GAR.
Old 2010-03-25, 17:22   Link #16
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Oh, he's most definitely gar. Basilone and Chesty Puller in the same scene = manliness overload.
Old 2010-04-02, 19:32   Link #17
Lost Cause

Lightbulb

Actually, according to something I saw on either the Military Channel or the History Channel, after Japan went through China, and Manchuria, they decided to pick a fight with their old nemisis Russia! And were soundly beaten by Soviet tanks and infantry! They then decided to find a 'weaker' opponent, the U.S.!
Due to the fact that we were supplying weapons, planes, tanks,and ships to their enemies, plus we had an embargo against them as well.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 08:51   Link #18
NinjaYali
Banned

Fuck yeah!!

A thread about the Pacific!! 1000 animus shall never be as great as the Pacific!!

Premiering over here on April 14th, I cannot wait.

Hopefully Hugh Ambrose will come over here so I can get his signature on my book the Pacific and the Pacific OST.

And slightly related...

Spoiler:

And blasphemous idea, but imagine if they decided to make a genderbent, moe anime about the USMC?

Quote:
Actually, according to something I saw on either the Military Channel or the History Channel, after Japan went through China, and Manchuria, they decided to pick a fight with their old nemisis Russia! And were soundly beaten by Soviet tanks and infantry! They then decided to find a 'weaker' opponent, the U.S.!
Battle of Khalkin Gol? They got defeated by Zhukov and now thanks to his efforts in defeating the Japanese, he's been immortalised in Mongolia.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 10:15   Link #19
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Watched the first ep last night. Had really no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised it had so much in common with Band of Brothers, and it managed to capture the true BoB spirit even.

Really happy to see that and I can't wait for more.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 01:33   Link #20
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Watched the first ep last night. Had really no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised it had so much in common with Band of Brothers, and it managed to capture the true BoB spirit even.

Really happy to see that and I can't wait for more.
Didn't BOB emphasised brotherhood a lot? From what I've read, Eugene and Sid never met John.

And also, can you clear this up for me. According to TvTropes...

"Ho Yay - Eugene and his best friend Sidney "Sid" Phillips. The homoerotic subtext between these two "best friends" is just too obvious to ignore. "

Although, I'm kinda disappointed that Vernon Micheel who helped sink the Akagi was left out of the show. Midway would have been great to see on screen
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote