AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-12, 10:23   Link #261
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Ah I forgot. Turn A Gundam is the name of the titular mecha. There's also Turn X Gundam in the show.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 11:33   Link #262
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
I thought we were just being silly in this thread.
Some of the title criticisms are serious, but my impression was that this thread was pretty lighthearted, and was mainly a way to poke a little bit of harmless fun at something we all like and are familiar with. In other words, I found this a fun and amusing thread.

You can like something, and still poke fun at some of its more silly or absurd elements.

Well, some people can, anyway...
Old 2013-02-12, 12:14   Link #263
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Bubblegum Crisis- How is that supposed to make any sense?
I believe that this is a reference to human society being like a wad of bubble gum. The pressures of society expand the bubble until it eventually pops, thereby generating the crisis. It's an interesting piece of imagery, and it's not a bad title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think this thread is just here for people to take stones and fling it at the littlest flaw they find in a show they find as "bad". Someone should take this down, it's worthless.
Nah, most of these titles, even the ones that make sense, are terrible. They might scan better in Japanese, but they're aesthetically ugly, and grammatically awful. The engrish concatenations stand out as exceptional eyesores.

On the other hand, titles like "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman" are awesome, and anyone who doesn't like it should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 2013-02-12, 12:52   Link #264
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
BEST anime titles - Not necessarily entire shows...

Hey, if we're going to poke fun at the strange, odd, and just plain terrible show titles of the anime world, it's only fair to recognize the good ones.

I'll start with three of my own.

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

This is a simply awesome title. It makes it very clear that it's a magical girl show, but it evades the cliche "Magical Girl XXXX XXXX" naming scheme by using a different language in the title (i.e. "Puella Magi"). This altered naming scheme is also a good hint that this show won't be your standard magical girl show.

The title also tells you who the main character is (sorry Homura fans, but the main character of at least the TV series is Kaname Madoka), and it easily shortens in two ways - Either to "PMMM" or to just "Madoka Magica". "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" also just has a real punch to it for me. It rolls off the tongue with a certain bounce and epicness.

2. Shakugan no Shana

Oh, how refreshing it is to see a light novel title that you can say without losing your breath! "Shakugan no Shana" is short, easy to pronounce, and has a nice rhythm to it for me. It also tells you who the star of the show and female lead is (Shana). Finally, the "Shakugan" or "Burning Eyes" part gives you a great sense of both Shana's powers... and her general disposition.

3. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

Here we have a title that basically winks the entire synopsis of the show at you, without having to use the typical long-winded LN method. "Love, Elections, and Chocolate" is indeed about love, elections, and chocolate (though heavy on the first two and light on the third). If you're a guy into politics, and you also like your romance VN adapations, look no further than here! And the name makes that crystal clear.

So, what other anime titles do people think are deserving of positive recognition?
Old 2013-02-12, 13:15   Link #265
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita/Humanity Has Declined- It is an unique to start out with and it kind of tells you what type of show it is going to be.

Angel Beats- It is a punny sounding title in a good way.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisée- Just listening to this title makes me feel like I am in France and also it shows the synopsis of the show in a way.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 13:16   Link #266
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

1. Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu. AKA "Idiots, Tests, and Summoned Beings." Another example that literally describes the show (the first season at least) and is also pretty funny and catchy.

2. It's manga only but I must mention Onani Master Kurosawa. AKA "Masturbation Master Kurosawa". Ridiculous to the point of being very eye-catching. Have seen so many people, myself included, completely unable to resist looking further into this series after seeing that title. It's also accurate while providing the basis to a much deeper storyline. I was amazed how something that began with such a silly concept turned into something pretty incredible.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 13:40   Link #267
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
SilverSyko: Black Rock Shooter pertains to the titular character whose main weapon shoots rocks.

Great! That should have blasted that darn Frodo to smithereens.

I think this thread is just here for people to take stones and fling it at the littlest flaw they find in a show they find as "bad". Someone should take this down, it's worthless.
As per your reactions to the titles, I get the idea behind most of them, I was just having a little fun.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 13:54   Link #268
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Fate/Stay Night or any of the Fate-verse titles. Great universe, great story, terrible name.

Steins;Gate- Even the main character had said multiple times that the phrase means absolutely nothing.
Old 2013-02-12, 14:00   Link #269
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
I thought we were just being silly in this thread.
Anyone who takes an internet forum seriously needs to check themselves. And probably take an internet break. It does wonders, trust.

Anyway I am only jesting and assume that everyone else here is also just having fun. No lie some of these titles are just asking to get made fun of, and name creator knows that.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 14:04   Link #270
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Shion no Ou about a girl who plays shougi ("Japanese chess") is a cute and obvious pun on the very popular and widely-known Hikaru no Go about a boy who plays Go.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 14:10   Link #271
Kudryavka

I pray this thread won't get locked in the "no more best/worst/favorite" apocalypse we have now, because we need this.

The best in my mind now: Urusei Yatsura, spelled うる星やつら。It is actually supposed to sound like "urusai yatsura" うるさいやつら, which basically means "those noisy/annoying guys". But by changing the さい to せい, then spelling せい as the kanji 星 for "star" which sounds the same, it also means "people from planet Uru", but since it retains its annoyed connotation from urusai yatsura it's more like "those annoying as hell aliens from planet Uru". And the series is about an alien girl who falls in love with a human guy (his name is "Struck by Many Stars") and makes his life a living hell by bringing all her galactic friends to Earth. As expected of Takahashi-sensei to make such an awesome name.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-12 at 14:40.
Old 2013-02-12, 14:32   Link #272
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

This is a simply awesome title. It makes it very clear that it's a magical girl show, but it evades the cliche "Magical Girl XXXX XXXX" naming scheme by using a different language in the title (i.e. "Puella Magi"). This altered naming scheme is also a good hint that this show won't be your standard magical girl show.
Having "Magi" and "Magica" in the title always seemed silly to me. Madoka Magica by itself works just fine.

Chaos;Head -- the gratuitous punctuation is silly, but the actual words are nicely evocative.

Voices of a Distant Star, Five Centimeters Per Second - Both titles sound nice if you know nothing of the story, and take on more meaning if you do.

And a special award for whoever decided to re-title Mobile Armored Riot Police as Ghost in the Shell.

ETA: Bludgeon-to-Death Angel Dokoro-chan. I honestly know nothing about it, but the title always makes me smile.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 17:54   Link #273
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Gosick. It sounds like "Go Get Sick!"
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 18:47   Link #274
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Anyone who takes an internet forum seriously needs to check themselves. And probably take an internet break. It does wonders, trust.
It's not really taking an internet forum seriously... it's more of I saw "Please don't create any more "Favourite/Best/Worst <x> in anime" threads" and the fact that the OP of this thread has long been hammered to oblivion.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 18:52   Link #275
relentlessflame

*Administrator

FYI that I Merged the "Worst Anime Titles" with the recently-created "Best Anime Titles" thread so now you can use this thread to discuss all sorts of Anime Titles -- both good and bad.

Indeed, the policy is that no new best/worst/etc. threads should be created in this sub-forum, and it will get ridiculous really quickly if people just take every "worst" thread and make a corresponding "best" and vice-versa. That really isn't necessary.
Old 2013-02-12, 19:07   Link #276
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Some of the title criticisms are serious, but my impression was that this thread was pretty lighthearted, and was mainly a way to poke a little bit of harmless fun at something we all like and are familiar with. In other words, I found this a fun and amusing thread.

You can like something, and still poke fun at some of its more silly or absurd elements.

Well, some people can, anyway...
Yeah, I dare say that many of us are just having some fun here by making fun of the titles, until some members take the matter too seriously and counter our posts with too-serious arguments (like what happened to me just 1-2 pages ago ).
Old 2013-02-12, 19:57   Link #277
Kudryavka

Quote:
It's not really taking an internet forum seriously... it's more of I saw "Please don't create any more "Favourite/Best/Worst <x> in anime" threads" and the fact that the OP of this thread has long been hammered to oblivion.
No, I wasn't saying you were taking it seriously, Marcus.
Old 2013-02-15, 12:57   Link #278
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
What does a reservoir have to do with it?
Well, there is that lake in episode 12, but it's not an integral part of the plot.... and it's probably supposed to be a natural lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucigaromeo View Post

Mahō Shōjo Lyrical Nanoha, tought it was musical mahō shōjo before I watched it
Which has spawned at least one fanart of Nanoha, Fate, etc as a band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renmazuo View Post
Grenadier :hahahahaha... huh?
Especially considering neither of the main characters uses a grenade.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 20:50   Link #279
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

It's a manga title, but I Don't Like You At All Big Brother!amuses me for some reason in a So Bad It's Good way...
Old 2013-02-16, 21:05   Link #280
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
It's a manga title, but I Don't Like You At All Big Brother!amuses me for some reason in a So Bad It's Good way...
The incest message disturbs me

Also Japan is known for having a manga title that will never never be used in a Western market: 666 Satan

Also, it's funny how the three most popular shonen titles can be used regularly.
"I always put a naruto in my ramen."
"I clean my clothes with bleach."
"Look at that hot girl with that one piece!"
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote