AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-30, 10:22   Link #181
Once and Current Subber

As far as release dates go...

Titles ship with a "street date", but in reality, you have to be a large publisher with an important release to make it stick. In those situations, stores sign contracts (typically with financial penalties) agreeing not to put the product on the shelf until the street date. Publishers do this because it lets them keep a single release date nationwide, allowing them to target their ad campaigns better, without having the retailers one-up each other in a rush to get it out first. They can take a couple of weeks to ship it everywhere and make sure everyone has plenty of stock.

When you're not a big publisher, you don't have a contract with penalties in; or more like, you don't have a coordinated nationwide ad campaign anyway, so honestly, who cares exactly what day it hits the shelf? So lots of stores will just kick anime onto the shelf as soon as it arrives. (Not all - some stores don't have a good way to sort out "stuff we can't break the street date on" from "stuff that it doesn't matter if we break the street date", and just hold to all street dates to avoid the fuss.)

I've been buying anime early for years. Biggest example was buying a VHS of Ushio and Tora 2 way back when, and discovering that it had shipped with copies of Ushio and Tora 3 - this being about a month before the release date for 2. Picked 'em both up, went home happy, ended up working an all-nighter on the DVD later on...

Let me know how the subs look on vol. 2. We moved some of the subtitles towards the top to avoid situations where the whole screen was empty except for the characters' faces right at the bottom. Bit of extra work, but I think the effect might be worth it.
Old 2008-06-30, 22:02   Link #182
NOTforumman

I think this is a good thing, but not too sure
Old 2008-10-21, 00:09   Link #183
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
Hate to disabuse you but.. you paid for that stuff.
Shhh! That's exactly what they don't want you to think!

On another note, I'm looking forward to getting the limited edition vol. 1, but regular for the others... I feel like if I really like a show and there is a limited edition version that's decent, I'll pass up the waiting for a box set and go for that. Plus, who can resist oversized t-shirts with prints of school uniforms on them? Can you say stylish!? Haha; I'd doubt I'd wear it in public... or in my room. My roomates would laugh at me But every other of the free *cough* paid for *cough* stuffs inside the box get me excited. However I was wondering if anyone knew when vol. 5 and 6 would be released ._. Doesn't look too close/far in the future fortunately/unfortunately.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize the post was like, 3 months old... nothing like a good bump? *slinks away*
Old 2008-11-16, 18:06   Link #184
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Have any of you guys scene the newest Dubbed Episodes? It's Volume 4, so we're looking at Episodes 13-16. Here are a couple of my thoughts on the new voices.

-There are some parts in Episode 13 that really made me laugh when they were in English. Like the whole discussion with Valentine's Day chocolates, especially with the quick changes to show Shiraishi doing a few things.

-I really like Yutaka's voice. It's kind of toddler-ish, but not as high pitched in Japanese. I really enjoyed that.

-Minami = Michelle Ruff = Yuki. So it's a winner. Looks like they are really going to stay dependant on that.

-Crispin Freeman did return as Kyon.

-Usually mispronounciations do not get on my nerves, but I really got irritated around Episode 14 when they were talking about Kuroi-sensei. It's Ku-roi, not Kuro-ee.

-Now I really like Tony Oliver as Sojiro. He's just so awesome when he gets all emotional.

-Misao's voice drove me nuts for a little while. I really like it, but I had heard that voice somewhere before, it was SO familiar...I can't really remember her name, but the woman who does voice Misao has also done a few non-anime roles if I'm not mistaken.

-Patricia's is good, however I do find it a bit plain. Luckily, she does pronounce her name correctly . Her Japanese voice was so bubbly, so the change here is rather significant. I kind of hope it changes when she gets into her big otaku speeches in the future episodes.
Old 2008-11-16, 19:50   Link #185
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
-Misao's voice drove me nuts for a little while. I really like it, but I had heard that voice somewhere before, it was SO familiar...I can't really remember her name, but the woman who does voice Misao has also done a few non-anime roles if I'm not mistaken.
Laura Jill Miller:

Spoiler for Anime News Network's Encyclopedia:

Old 2008-11-19, 14:02   Link #186
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Laura Jill Miller:

Spoiler for Anime News Network's Encyclopedia:

I knew Misao English VA did Blood + since i could recognize her voice. Also Yutaka English VA is also famous for playing as Starfire from Teen Titans!
Old 2008-11-21, 15:38   Link #187
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Ahh, gotta love teen titans.....

And I really want to get vol 4. and 5 and 6.... whenever they may come out~~
Old 2008-11-22, 14:29   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

hmmmm, my pre-order volume 4 just shipped according to my email......
Old 2008-11-22, 14:56   Link #189
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Yup, mine was shipped yesterday as well. Lucky Star Vol. 4 was due to be released on the 18th November (so it was a few days late).

Lucky Star Vol. 5 is due to be released on 6th Jan 2009.
Old 2008-11-22, 15:58   Link #190
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
I got my vol. 4 on November 5th. The store near me always puts them out early. I didn't even know it was due so late in the month.
Old 2008-12-20, 15:25   Link #191
FireChick

Oh yeah. Peggy O'Neal does Ayano Minegishi.
Old 2008-12-28, 09:25   Link #192
FireChick

Grrrrrr! Okay now I'm mad!! Why won't my Lucky Star DVDs NOT FREEZE every minute!? My volume 2 DVD was like this when I played it on my DVD/VCR!! Why is my new volume 3 doing it!? Am I pushing my player too much or something!? They work fine when I play them on the computer though. I wanna know! Does anyone else have this problem!? I don't like this! Very annoying! I hope my limited edition volume 4 DVD is NOT like this!
Old 2008-12-29, 12:32   Link #193
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

hmmm, I haven't tried playing the dvds on a DVD appliance yet.... only my computer so far (which has an HDMI output hooked to our console game tv).
Old 2009-02-09, 14:10   Link #194
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...mic-con/bandai

Good news everyone, the Bandai Panel from the NY Comic Con has stated that the Lucky Star Manga (which NO ONE has touched) is slated for May.
Closed Thread