AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 65 63.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 27.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 4.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.97%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.97%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.97%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-21, 02:13   Link #61
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
I agree. You know, Makishima and Kogami are opposites in more ways than we might think. Kagami has a high psycho-pass and is deemed a latent criminal. By that judgement, one can conclude that he is evil. However, he refused to leave Akane's friend to save his own skin and has shown compassion many times. Yet Makishima's psycho-pass has never been anything but white and he commits obviously evil acts without suffering from a rise in his psycho-pass. Pretty ironic.
Whoa there! No one, not even the characters in the psycho pass world, consider latent criminals to be "evil". Just sick and in need of help. Some of them are even incurable, they have to be prevented from harming society as well as themselves.

That's not evil.
Old 2012-12-21, 02:15   Link #62
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay so my previous speculation that Makishima's value would be unbelievably low was just confirmed.

So that also confirms some speculation that the Sibyl's ability to detect criminality is based on some variable that Makishima passes through. In other words the bigger question for Sibyl now is, precisely, what exactly does the Sibyl System use to calculate the values in such a way that it is unable to detect criminals like Makishima?

From the looks of it... it seems that one thing that Makishima doesn't have that his former proteges had was... some sort of intense emotion and/or emotionally driven desire. Makishima for the most part comes off as having no direct emotional involvement in all of this. He is, for lack of a better term, emotionless, and I suspect that human emotion most likely is a very big variable in the Sibyl algorithms.
Old 2012-12-21, 02:18   Link #63
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
May be akane doesn't know how to use a real gun?
indeed she is. on that age I doubt many police know how to use real guns, since they depend too much on Dominator..
Old 2012-12-21, 02:30   Link #64
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
The complete lack of kickback on that goddamn elephant gun is blowing my mind.
Old 2012-12-21, 04:03   Link #65
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
and I suspect that human emotion most likely is a very big variable in the Sibyl algorithms.
The system still can kick robot's *** though.
Old 2012-12-21, 04:31   Link #66
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnated View Post
indeed she is. on that age I doubt many police know how to use real guns, since they depend too much on Dominator..
I think it's more like guns that use gunpowder aren't in use anymore.
Old 2012-12-21, 04:34   Link #67
Dop
Mmmm....

When Akane was holding the shotgun in one hand, I thought that if she fired she'd either miss wildly or shoot her friend. After all, everyone knows that's not how you hold a shotgun, right?

But wait! Masaoka said he hadn't seen traces from a gun that uses gunpowder in a long time.

That suggests to me that under the auspices of the Sybil system real guns are prohibited.
Probably any kind of media involving the use of guns is prohibited too.

So Akane has probably never seen a real gun, let alone used one.

The only weapon she has any experience of is the Dominator.

She has no idea how to fire that shotgun properly, and only fires when driven to it in pure desperation.

I can't wait to see where the show goes from here, and how this is going to affect Akane's psycho-pass.
Old 2012-12-21, 05:06   Link #68
Aesthetic Shampoo

That scene with the shotgun confused me too...did she actually want to kill him but miss? Was it actually loaded with blanks? Did she just panic and randomly shoot it?
Old 2012-12-21, 05:27   Link #69
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

It's too bad that Yuki died, even if it was predictable. I liked her. For a while, before Akane caught up, I thought that maybe Makishima was dragging her away to try to eventually turn her into a supervillain or something. Instead, was she just a hostage so he could get away in case the police caught up?

Akane didn't do too badly, even though she was unsuccessful. She did at least try to shoot the gun at Makishima, even though it's unlikely she even knew how to use it. I was really worried that she would end up shooting her friend by accident, so at least that didn't happen.

I don't want Akane's crime coefficient to go up after this. It would be most interesting if, like Makishima, she is somebody whose Psycho-pass just doesn't ever get cloudy. She could struggle over what the readings even mean, if she's having buckets of trouble because of what happened and yet even through that she can see that her Psycho-pass stays nice and clear, knowing that Makishima's is also clear.

Makishima is boring me, unfortunately. He's been getting less interesting as a villain the longer I've seen him. Though he's got a few legit points about the Sibyl system, and he represents an interesting thing in the plot (a villainous person who the system thinks is AOK) the things he's trying so far seem a bit on the dull side, just getting a few psychos to watch for what to him is mild entertainment. Might have been more fun to have him trying to bring down the system, but he seems too...apathetic? muted? for that. Maybe he's got a bigger plan that we'll see later.

Masaoka continues to be the best character.
Old 2012-12-21, 05:28   Link #70
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, in fairness, Akane did shoot the shotgun. She just didn't know how to shoot it properly, which makes sense given what Masaoka said earlier. Akane's probably never seen a "real" gun in her entire life. If Makishima had thrown Akane an old-fashioned handgun (handled in a way that's much similar to the Dominator), maybe Akane takes him out.

I think that Makishima's disappointment in Akane is two-fold - That she hesitated as long as she did (that is one of her close friends up there), and that she couldn't figure out how to use the shotgun properly.
Old 2012-12-21, 06:24   Link #71
Eclipze

I feel that Akane was purposefully portrayed as pathetic in this scene, so I don't really feel that people are over-reacting when they put her down (though as outsiders).

Your friend is in danger, and you know who your opponent is, in terms of what he has been doing and that he is someone you do not play around with. Not knowing how to use that particular gun does not excuse her from not at least using both hands to hold it and aim (which she does with the Dominator). So what if the Dominator doesn't work? Surely your desire to save Yuki would allow you realize that its not going to suddenly work just because you keep aiming it at him, and that you should be finding alternatives before the opponent strikes?

Aimed shots MIGHT have actually saved her rather than the 2 shots that she took without thinking, which I feel were far more prone to hitting Yuki compared to aimed ones.
Old 2012-12-21, 06:27   Link #72
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Eh, Akane really disappointed me this episode. She couldn't bring herself to drop the damn dominator and finish the job, not only knowing who the guy was and what he's done, but he was also about to kill your best friend. She just came off as incredibly weak and well, for lack of better word, stupid. Firing a shotgun wildly with one hand in the general direction of an innocent also wasn't the smartest move. Really makes me feel nothing for her.
I think Akane has some extenuating circumstances. First of all, she was clearly in a state of panic, trembling all over and not knowing what to do. Everything she learnt at the Academy, everything she believed in, all of her world was crumbling before her own eyes.
Second, she never fired a real shotgun and she didn't take into account the kickback (I think the Dominator doesn't have any because it shoots energy beams). Most likely she doesn't even know how to aim properly.
Third, she never had to make the judgment herself. She always trusted Sibyl's judgment wether someone deserved to live or to die. That's why Makishima was disappointed. She never let go of the Dominator till the very end.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2012-12-21, 06:33   Link #73
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Third, she never had to make the judgment herself. She always trusted Sibyl's judgment wether someone deserved to live or to die. That's why Makishima was disappointed. She never let go of the Dominator till the very end.
It's true that she never let go of the Dominator until the end, and I'm sure that is why Makishima was disappointed, but it's not true that she always trusted the judgement of the Sibyl system. Back on her first mission where Kogami would have used the Dominator and killed that woman who was traumatised, she didn't allow her to be shot. So, Akane has not relied solely on the system. I'm sure she has relied on it heavily and had trust in it, though.
Old 2012-12-21, 06:36   Link #74
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just watching that scene I was screaming " Shoot him! God dammit!!!"

The girl died... (face palm) "Sh*t!!!!! Akane you, idiot!!"
Old 2012-12-21, 07:07   Link #75
tsunade666

Ah superb episode and as expected Yuki died. When I saw her saved and its still only halfway through the episode. I already expected it there. Its Gen we are talking about. And Makishima guy can't be judge by dominator. His psycho-pass is as clear as it can be. His view of the world is so twisted that to him it felt normal to the very bone. Makishima reminded me of a Kihara from Index. Kihara can't be judge by judgement spell even if he fired a rocket launcher against vento. It still wasn't enough to trigger the spell. Twisted people with twisted morals and view.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:50   Link #76
Bern-san

Maybe Makishima will keep an eye on her to see if her hue gets clouded, or just wants to make Kogami watch her fall on the darkness.

Will we be able to see that expression she has during the opening?
Old 2012-12-21, 10:29   Link #77
Ridwan

I don't see much difference between Makishima bypassing Sybil's judgement with that of people trained to trick lie detector.

Except that Makishima is most likely a natural talent.
Old 2012-12-21, 11:13   Link #78
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that Makishima's disappointment in Akane is two-fold - That she hesitated as long as she did (that is one of her close friends up there), and that she couldn't figure out how to use the shotgun properly.
I believe Makishima was proving a point when having her holding both the guns.

He was testing Akane's will, how her desire to save her friend would prevail over her duty as an inspector (that is, a servant for Sybil).

Now, I now Akane didn't had any traditional firearms training, but I think she should've realized you need to grab the shotgun with both hands. Yet she didn't do it because she couldn't let go of Sybil, and how could she? Her entire life and future have been built by Sybil.

That's what Shogo saw in her, she isn't strong enough, her will has been binded by the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
I feel that Akane was purposefully portrayed as pathetic in this scene, so I don't really feel that people are over-reacting when they put her down (though as outsiders).
I still think people have been way too hard on the poor kid it's not like she's some battle harden veteran. She was scared, confused, and in a very fragile state of mind so how in the world would she be able to aim that thing correctly even when using two hands? In other word even with two hands she most likely would've missed anyway.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-12-21 at 11:29.
Old 2012-12-21, 11:26   Link #79
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

Shotgun on her right hand and dominator on her left hand. Did you not notice the symbolism happening in here? It's not simply because she's shaken or being a coward or something..
Old 2012-12-21, 11:32   Link #80
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnated View Post
Shotgun on her right hand and dominator on her left hand. Did you not notice the symbolism happening in here? It's not simply because she's shaken or being a coward or something..
Yea I understand and pointed it out in my post that she was being tested however I still don't think she would've been able to hit Makishima even with too hands on the shotgun for many reasons.