AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-28, 09:24   Link #5721
whitecloud

The group name ak-submarine I'm sure you will find it Myssa..I find it quite easily
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 09:26   Link #5722
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post

- The Oarai schoolship was built immediately after WW2, ...
Well that's very interesting. The banner in one of the earlier episodes (The Gloriana match?) said that this was the 74th anniversary of the Sensha-do Tournaments. If the tournaments started around the time the Oarai Schoolship was built, then (does a bit of math.....carry the 1...) this series takes place around the year 2019 (Blade Runner anyone?).

Of course if the Oarai Schoolship was built after the tournaments have started, then the series would be taking place around present day.

Endless "Near future" Soul
Old 2013-03-28, 09:26   Link #5723
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
FISH & CHIPS = British Army slang for urban warfare. Fighting In Someone's House & Causing Havoc In People's Streets.
As an aside this amuses me massively.

I figured that the streets and buildings in the final battle might have been either built specially for the tournaments or was originally a town purchased specially (like Imber, for example) for tournament use.

Similarly the town in the battle against Pravda was probably a special arena and former town.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 10:01   Link #5724
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

So it is mean WW2 in GuP still really exist? And men drive tanks for war?
Old 2013-03-28, 10:08   Link #5725
Sumeragi
Banned

Images
Indomitable Ms. Kay
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Images
Science in Onsen
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 10:08   Link #5726
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Also, some anons are translating OVA 3 in regards to the history of the schoolships. So here's what we know so far:
- Several methods of power generation onboard the ship include using external water currents, using wind currents from indoor ventilation (surprisingly, this is apparently also practiced IRL according to the translator), solar power, oceanic heat recovery, waste combustion, and seismic power generators beneath roads among others.
Obviously a full translation would be required, but the impression I get there is that as usual The Atomic Age is being left out because this is Japan. Though, again, the full context of that information would be required; maybe they just listed alternative sources instead of primary sources.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 11:57   Link #5727
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Well that's very interesting. The banner in one of the earlier episodes (The Gloriana match?) said that this was the 74th anniversary of the Sensha-do Tournaments. If the tournaments started around the time the Oarai Schoolship was built, then (does a bit of math.....carry the 1...) this series takes place around the year 2019 (Blade Runner anyone?).

Of course if the Oarai Schoolship was built after the tournaments have started, then the series would be taking place around present day.

Endless "Near future" Soul
IIRC theres's been mention that Senshado started inbetween WW1 and WW2, add a few years for the first tournament to be organized and we end up with an alternate present day setting for GuP.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 12:05   Link #5728
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One wouldn't think they would have carbon coating armor back then though. But on the other hand, they have am HMS Dreadnaught that appears to be several kilometers long. The historical HMS Dreadnaught was built in 1906, which would be before tanks exist.

Also if Ooarai is really that old, it might be that she's in need of a major reconstruction to stat in service (though she doesn't look run down at all). Just due to the age of the vessel. Or it could be that it was just too small and not getting students that was causing the Board to want to shut it down (and probably retire the vessel).
Old 2013-03-28, 12:47   Link #5729
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
So it is mean WW2 in GuP still really exist? And men drive tanks for war?
WW2 exists only as closely to ours as the anime studio wanted it to. Clearly they don't want to divorce our world from the GUP completely or all the references to real life tanks would have been invalidated. The idea seems to be that everything related to the wars happened, but everything else did not.
Old 2013-03-28, 13:13   Link #5730
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
WW2 exists only as closely to ours as the anime studio wanted it to. Clearly they don't want to divorce our world from the GUP completely or all the references to real life tanks would have been invalidated. The idea seems to be that everything related to the wars happened, but everything else did not.
I view this show as an alternative universe to reality commenting on reality.

Do we really warrant an explanation? Not really, imo.

That being said, I imagine this format could be applied to other (fictional) works. Imagine if they ever had a crossover show called Girls und Mobile Suits... and an explanation might just not be available, or probable.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:23   Link #5731
whitecloud

The ship is really big...and most of it is run by little girl student, due to lack of crew maybe...it is a big ship...

Can you imagine if you got lost..your corpse would go missing for years in one of the unused, or rarely visited room and nobody would ever find you...
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:24   Link #5732
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
The ship is really big...and most of it is run by little girl student, due to lack of crew maybe...it is a big ship...
Michael Jackson is... dead... right?

- Tak (because that would be his paradise)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:32   Link #5733
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Can you imagine if you got lost..your corpse would go missing for years in one of the unused, or rarely visited room and nobody would ever find you...
That example has already been provided...

Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:33   Link #5734
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The large banner at the team placement thing was 74th tournament, yet the banner over the start of the tournament between Ooarai and Saunders was like 63rd tournament (or something like that). That might be an error that was corrected in the BD version for all I know.

However it could be possible that there are two tournaments going on. The nationals and internationals. Perhaps the international tournament is older with Japan joining in later so their nationals are "younger" than the international.

Though it the series is set in the present, and the 74th number is correct, the first Tournament was basically World War II (or prehaps the Spanish Civil War followed by World War II). If this was the case, it could be that the battles and people being quoted were also sports figures. Or men use to be part of the games, but the first five to ten years were way too violent (and maybe bloody) so it become a girls sport following the "war". So it is possible that the paint shells from Kelly's Heroes was what they used back then, but the shot didn't "pop" the Tiger's flag (the wrong color shells man, they send out the negative waves).
Old 2013-03-28, 13:51   Link #5735
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Why should it be in spoiler blocks? This is background information regarding the world setting of Girls Und Panzer, not plot elements related to the actual story itself.
Fair enough, although I would prefer to see the OVA myself rather than trust anon sources
Old 2013-03-28, 17:16   Link #5736
gral

Hiryuu just released Episode 11. And, according to them:

Quote:
12 should be this weekend. OVA2 shouldn’t be too distant either and work has also begun on OVA3.
gral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 17:19   Link #5737
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Fair enough, although I would prefer to see the OVA myself rather than trust anon sources
Well, the info I posted are summaries of the actual translation effort that was done, which attempted to translate the dialogue in the OVA line by line in preparation for subbing. So these translations are the best you can get until Hiryuu releases their version. I don't think Hiryuu is going to translate the Yukari Corner portions though, unlike what the anons have done.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 17:28   Link #5738
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

It makes sense the naval studies girls are standing watches and running the ships, if we consider that as their practicals...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 17:45   Link #5739
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
re WW2: Mizushima apparently put his foot down finally and replied via tweet that it happened more or less like ours. The effect of this on Senshado was to unequivocally ban males from participating for fear that they'd turn even Sensha-do matches into lethal brawls.
Old 2013-03-28, 17:53   Link #5740
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Well, the info I posted are summaries of the actual translation effort that was done, which attempted to translate the dialogue in the OVA line by line in preparation for subbing. So these translations are the best you can get until Hiryuu releases their version. I don't think Hiryuu is going to translate the Yukari Corner portions though, unlike what the anons have done.
Then that makes your information credible, rather than anonymous; there isn't any need to say they're anonymous. Kindly forgive my scepticism towards anonymous sources: past experience has shown that these sources are rushed into production for the sake of getting it out first, and as such, may sacrifice quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
re WW2: Mizushima apparently put his foot down finally and replied via tweet that it happened more or less like ours. The effect of this on Senshado was to unequivocally ban males from participating for fear that they'd turn even Sensha-do matches into lethal brawls.
Because guys take things a little too seriously at times I wonder if they were able to eradicate warfare in general...

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks