AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 26 29.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 34.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 22.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 12.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-15, 12:33   Link #201
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Or is it just what he wants people to think?Maybe he thinks people can't grow if he is around so he removes himself from the picture for the sake of others.

"Eliminate the obvious and whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
--Sherlock Holmes--
Old 2008-12-15, 14:31   Link #202
typhonsentra

Spoiler:
Old 2008-12-15, 14:39   Link #203
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
During the summer vacation @ the villa I think Minori was saying that she was okay with her current relationship with Ryuji, and didn't wanna go to the next level. Might be because she felt Taiga needed him more. How you interpret Ep10's ending is entirely up to you though.

So naturally when Ryuji presses her in Ep11, she's not comfortable with responding to his questions, and thus gives her random commentary. No contradiction.
I had a feeling this was the case to but Minorin response to many things during that part are confusing. Could it be possible that Minorin really doesnt know what she wants? Her reply to Ryu's about the UFO was just it made no sense and thats when i started thinking that we all might have had the wrong idea about what message she was trying to get across to Ryu during the beach scene. The only thing i can think of is guilt regarding Taiga.
Old 2008-12-15, 14:46   Link #204
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

From what we've seen so far in the anime, Minorin is at least NOW quite aware that Ryuuji has some feelings for her -- and that she's developing feelings for him as she watches him care for his friends. But Minorin is loyal to Taiga, thinks he's best for Taiga, and does not want to mess that up -> which explains her wackjob derail of Ryuuji's attempt to "look for UFOs together" in the hallway by talking about noodles.

Its a very polite (and also japanese) way of saying we're not going to discuss that topic for now.

@sinestra: sorry, but after all the noise on the thread - I couldn't help but at least finish the arc in the light novels. I'm trying not to read ahead, but I figured this was not any worse than visiting Random Curiosity for screencaps.

The one thing this series SHOULD teach viewers is not to rush into judgement about others. A lot of this tale so far has been about miscommunication, misinterpretation, and the shields people erect to protect themselves or unintentionally.
Old 2008-12-15, 15:19   Link #205
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
From what we've seen so far in the anime, Minorin is at least NOW very aware that Ryuuji has some feelings for her -- and that she's developing feelings for him as she watches him care for his friends.
Fixed.

Anyway, Minori is a VERY nice person, maybe overly nice. That's why I can't figure out if she really has feelings for Ryuji, or just wants to be friends. If she doesn't like him, she will obviously turn him down, but if she does like him, she will feel Taiga needs him more and still give him up. Either way, she will turn Ryuji down.

Which is it?
Old 2008-12-15, 15:21   Link #206
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

For those wondering how Minorin can derail the conversation completely from UFO to instant noodles, I'd just like to point out that Nissin makes a famous brand of instant yakisoba (fried noodle) call U.F.O.
http://www.nissinfoods.co.jp/product.../brand_13.html

A very quick-witted deflect on Minorin's part, especially during what probably was a lunch break.
Old 2008-12-15, 15:24   Link #207
wistfulloner

Absolutely. Brilliant.

That was quick thinking on her part
Old 2008-12-15, 16:53   Link #208
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
I think Minori doesn't understand her own heart anyways and would not pursue a relationship with Ryuuji unless she was 100% certain Taiga was not wanting him for herself. Most young people around this age don't know their own hearts. That's where all the drama comes from. People are unintentionally hurt (doesn't make it hurt any less) by the words and actions of other people who in turn are unintentionally hury by their friends' reactions and responses. Unless some of these kids fianlly figure out who they really want I don't see this ending with anything approaching closure.
Old 2008-12-15, 17:02   Link #209
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

@sinestra: sorry, but after all the noise on the thread - I couldn't help but at least finish the arc in the light novels. I'm trying not to read ahead, but I figured this was not any worse than visiting Random Curiosity for screencaps.

The one thing this series SHOULD teach viewers is not to rush into judgement about others. A lot of this tale so far has been about miscommunication, misinterpretation, and the shields people erect to protect themselves or unintentionally.
I think those reasons you have stated is the exact reason why Toradora may very well end up my favorite series this season even over TOA. To be at that age where you dont understand your own emotions yet you want to desperately get them out to that special someone is something we have all had to go through. We all different faces for different people and we all have shields. Whats important is whats behind that shield.

I find it funny that Ryu shield is a natural one his scary looking face. People dont get past that and see the real Ryu the kind caring person who deeply values his friends. Taiga and Ami are also others who errect shields and they are misinterpreted and misread by others.The characters are what make Toradora damn good but also the writing in general pulls you in. You come to care about the characters and their well being and general get upset when something bad happens to them. To me that is what anime is all about actually story telling in general too bad so many people see anime nothing more than as a cartoon.

So i can assume Vexx there are more treats to come from Toradora
Old 2008-12-15, 17:17   Link #210
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Ryuuji seems more like a mother/mutual parent figure than a lover imo considering his relationship with Taiga, and i hope that this thread does NOT develop romantic feelings out of admiration for Ryuuji´s care

EDIT: ^ That kinda reminds me of Angel Densetsu, good guy to the very core, but often misunderstood because of his looks

although their personalities differ in dimensional realms
Old 2008-12-15, 17:27   Link #211
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
Ryuuji seems more like a mother/mutual parent figure than a lover imo considering his relationship with Taiga, and i hope that this thread does NOT develop romantic feelings out of admiration for Ryuuji´s care
I wholehearted disagree with part of your statement.

How are you so sure that Ryuuji feels ONLY that way? There is no way to know for sure we have seen several indications that it might be more. I will admit Ryuuji is like a caring figure to Taiga but he is also like that with everyone in his own way, but like i said there is evidence to support their feelings may be changing. Here is where misinterpretation and misunderstandings come into play.

I mean its a discussion you cant say you dont hope others wont talk about the possibility of their be romance between the two. It's a forum for discussion regarding all aspects of the series with the knowledge that we have and we speculate on them generating more discussions. You have to leave room for possibilities thats how people end up disappointed at the end of a series.
Old 2008-12-15, 17:54   Link #212
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I refuse to rule out any possibilities... I just adjust the weight of likelihood as the series progresses.
Old 2008-12-15, 18:32   Link #213
satuross

Well, the fact that Ryujii thinks " dog dream" as an absulotely bad worst outcome and how he sweats it out as one of the worst night mare, seems to point out the fact that he isnt really interested with having THAT relationship with taiga.

and i dont think anything during that summer will changrd perception.
Old 2008-12-15, 22:10   Link #214
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

At least I understand Minorin does have some feeling for him, and understands that he feels the same way. Yet, is it not part of the growing social structure to go after what one feels it's for the best, regardless if Taiga is in the picture. I've always thought in sense of pursuing what was impossible to reach, it is now tangible, the opportunity to grab for. Is that not part of social conscious in cultural sense?
I do understand Minorin reaction towards Ryuuji, but the opportunity presents itself, and she is "contracting" herself.
The fact is her "ghost", is right there. Thus, she does not want to acknowledge it. In other words, "avoid it completely".

Last edited by KeitaroNagato; 2008-12-16 at 01:31. Reason: Have to delete a sentence that is not part of the discussion... OFF TOPIC.
Old 2008-12-15, 22:13   Link #215
typhonsentra

Does this PM you received include info not translated yet? If so I'd like to see the info too please.
Old 2008-12-15, 22:28   Link #216
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Does this PM you received include info not translated yet? If so I'd like to see the info too please.
Info send

i dont think its about any translation, just really to help me understand my confusion with Minorin. There is no contraction, yet there is. Avoiding the subject at hand is a contraction, being friends with Taiga and Ryuuji is not a contraction. She is loyal towards Taiga, not loyal to her heart.
Old 2008-12-15, 22:29   Link #217
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satuross View Post
Well, the fact that Ryujii thinks " dog dream" as an absulotely bad worst outcome and how he sweats it out as one of the worst night mare, seems to point out the fact that he isnt really interested with having THAT relationship with taiga.

and i dont think anything during that summer will changrd perception.
That dream can be taken 2 ways. Both Taiga and Ryu at first were not happy about the dream in fact Taiga was the one dead set on it not coming true. But look at what she said in the end although she never got a chance to finish her sentence.

Did you ever think that denial could be part of the reason. Dreams in anime are rarely just put in the for the hell of it. Most of the time its a hint at the over all plot of foreshadowing the future. That dream represented more than just a dog and its master. Also, the fact that Ryu would have such a dream one shared by Taiga give you another possibility. It could be sharing a dream as very close friends or sharing a dream because subconsciously you are thinking about that person and ironically enough they both had the dream.
Old 2008-12-15, 22:33   Link #218
Noamara

Can you send me, too? please?

And ontopic...yeah episode 11 was really great, even though not so great as 9 and 10..too few Ami scenes :P.
Old 2008-12-16, 01:29   Link #219
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Maybe by next episode we get to see more Ami development. The past 3 episodes show alot on her personality, yet just like Minorin, its seems they were on the sidelines this time. Kinda disappointed, but understandable. After all, its really about how both Taiga and Ryuuji personal feelings with their own "dad" issues. Its amazing how they are so different in terms of personalities, yet have a common trait that makes them who they are.
Old 2008-12-16, 05:38   Link #220
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Finally saw the episode. The manhandling in the end was rough, I admit it, but nothing worse than what Taiga has put Ryuji through in the past - nevertheless, it seems worse for us, since we never saw him acting that way. And Taiga's request for him "not to put that face on anymore" was a bit heart-breaking, as well. If people still think she hasn't changed the way she behaves towards him, they're not paying attention.

Anyway, I'm guessing Taiga's dad will act out a bit yet - and I haven't read the novels past this yet... Just a feeling.

Closed Thread