AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-08, 05:54   Link #501
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yeah... you're right on pricing, but it was just a sort of... "hey.... wait a minute." moment. Hopefully, a physical copy at least saves me a few gigabytes in data transfer.
It's a popular point of contention the community at large has been going "wait, what?" at with the surge of digital distribution.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 07:02   Link #502
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
There's nobody forcing you to do that on Celestial Hills (the only official RP server). There are plenty of people on C Hills who just play PvE style and don't RP at all. I hear OOC conversations in /say all the time, though usually not in the major cities.

I haven't actually spent that much time RPing yet. Most people haven't. Most of the players are trying to get level 60 first. After that I suspect incidences of RP will spike significantly.
Eh, I dunno. This doesn't sound bad, and your player-made scenarios sound like they could be interesting and break up some of the typical grind/loot treadmill, but I don't have any friends playing to be able to do that with and wouldn't even know where to begin looking. I tend to mostly fly solo and think I'd be better off somewhere where I'm not taking up a slot from someone who does want to RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
On Dragonfall if you happen by there at all RWB, playing as Vexana.
It's a possibility, but we seem almost destined to never be able to play anything together (my hours the exact opposite of yours in WoW, different platforms for other games, etc.)
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 07:03   Link #503
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Apt video for Digital vs Physical for pricing which was put up today.

edit: lol, RWB, one day.. one day.. it'll work for us!
Old 2012-05-08, 10:14   Link #504
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Apt video for Digital vs Physical for pricing which was put up today.

edit: lol, RWB, one day.. one day.. it'll work for us!
Bleh, Jim Sterling is often hit and miss when it comes to his articles. For someone who does gaming journalism/blog, he doesn't have enough understanding of how the market operates and publisher-retailer relationship or he is just purposely stirring the pot up for view counts.

go look up ESA 2011 Sales report page 11 and you ll see why digital retailers cannot undercut traditional retailers pricing yet. It's also why regional pricing varies despite being on digital download distribution.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:26   Link #505
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I don't get much of the elin hate that other people seem to complain of. I think it's because I took the official description of Badass Adorable and just ran with it. I don't use the emotes a lot and my character speaks very formally, rather coldly and doesn't take guff from nobody. I know you seem to play your character the same general way--I haven't actually had the chance to RP with you so I'm not completely sure, though.

There are a lot of people RPing elin as they "look" rather than what the lore says. While I'm not completely opposed to that--I'm not going to sit here and tell someone how they have to RP, of course--but I thought the whole "cute yet badass" description of the elin is really what ultimately made me decide on them over human (my usual race choice in MMOs).
Originally, I was going to focus on the Castanic but I'm drifting toward the Elin for just the reasons you mention. Also, Kismet-chan's absolutely kickass looking little main (that expression and eyes) made me grin evilly.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:30   Link #506
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
I don't get much of the elin hate that other people seem to complain of. I think it's because I took the official description of Badass Adorable and just ran with it.
Totaly agree.

While I'm not on a RP-Server I also like the more "bad ass" take of the Elin.
To quote thier official description from the US and EU sites:
"Their speech is often dark, forthright, and otherworldly, and their sense of humor can border on vicious" (US)

"Anyone who causes harm to nature will in the blink of an eye be faced with the unbridled rage and animalistic energy of the Elins - and fear for their life. ... ...their innate resolve to defend nature is stronger than any "pesky" ethical or moral motivations." (EU)

I also made her look somewhat evil with those "bored" looking eyes they have.
(Ok... her eyes look more like Kagami's from Lucky Star but... ah well...)
Old 2012-05-08, 10:32   Link #507
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Basically, Elin seem to be one of my favorite tropes in fantasy - "dark pixies" or "goth faeries", the "kill em all and feast on their entrails cutely" part of nature.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:51   Link #508
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
snip
Oh that is true, but the video is entertaining. I do think he kind of has a point buried in there though.

That PDF doesn't say much of anything really. Of course at the moment there will be a ridiculous amount of favor for brick and motor stores, might not always be that way in the future though.

As for pricing, they will never get sympathy from me - game prices in Australia are absolutely ridiculous. For example here, Diablo 3 is $88, fk that, purchased it online and paid $59 with free shipping (not Amazon, still worked out to be $80 from them too). The mark up is stupid, regardless of whatever some boardroom monkey says, regional pricing (regional most things really) pisses me off no end. Oh, and online pricing *should* be cheaper as far as I'm concerned.
Old 2012-05-08, 11:03   Link #509
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Bleh, Jim Sterling is often hit and miss when it comes to his articles. For someone who does gaming journalism/blog, he doesn't have enough understanding of how the market operates and publisher-retailer relationship or he is just purposely stirring the pot up for view counts.

go look up ESA 2011 Sales report page 11 and you ll see why digital retailers cannot undercut traditional retailers pricing yet. It's also why regional pricing varies despite being on digital download distribution.
While it's getting somewhat off-topic for the TERA thread, this sounds like good stuff for the cost of being a gamer thread. If you don't mind, shall we continue the discussion there?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 11:04   Link #510
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Yea, No elin scares me, and the fact that they make them out to be these super powerful loli's just seems like a marketing device along with the cleavage and pantie shots of the other races.

Oh, and I wish they did the shorts instead of panties, makes the game less awkward is all.
Old 2012-05-08, 12:16   Link #511
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Oh, and I wish they did the shorts instead of panties, makes the game less awkward is all.
They did, though. Any shots you see otherwise are because the person modded their local game (which seems to be tacitly permitted at the moment since it's purely cosmetic and does not break any functionality).

As for the Elin situation in general, people who find it personally awkward for themselves will obviously just avoid choosing that race, but most of the "rage" you see on the chat is either a) trolling, or b) people frightened by the thought that there might be others out there with impure feelings. Sometimes I honestly wonder how much of that fear is a sort of displacement, but notwithstanding...
Old 2012-05-08, 12:20   Link #512
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
They did, though. Any shots you see otherwise are because the person modded their local game (which seems to be tacitly permitted at the moment since it's purely cosmetic and does not break any functionality).

As for the Elin situation in general, people who find it personally awkward for themselves will obviously just avoid choosing that race, but most of the "rage" you see on the chat is either a) trolling, or b) people frightened by the thought that there might be others out there with impure feelings. Sometimes I honestly wonder how much of that fear is a sort of displacement, but notwithstanding...
There are closets and baggage everywhere but mostly in the minds of the loudest as they "doth protest too much methinks"
Old 2012-05-08, 12:34   Link #513
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
There are slots for costume items and they can be acquired from reputation that is gained from daily quests that become accessible at level 60. You also get a Halo, Orb of Light and a Flower Band if you level your Mining, Essence Gathering and Plant Gathering to 300.
Thanks that's what I wanted to know.
Old 2012-05-08, 12:37   Link #514
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Eh, I dunno. This doesn't sound bad, and your player-made scenarios sound like they could be interesting and break up some of the typical grind/loot treadmill, but I don't have any friends playing to be able to do that with and wouldn't even know where to begin looking. I tend to mostly fly solo and think I'd be better off somewhere where I'm not taking up a slot from someone who does want to RP.

It's a possibility, but we seem almost destined to never be able to play anything together (my hours the exact opposite of yours in WoW, different platforms for other games, etc.)
Dragonfall is still a popular PVE server so if not CH, you should aim there . There are also few other Asukians in Dragonfall, including me and at least Mow Yun.
Old 2012-05-08, 13:13   Link #515
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I uncensored my game not because I really wanted to see elin panties, but because the censorship is so ugly, obvious and doesn't fit at all I couldn't stand looking at it after seeing just how bad it got on certain outfits.

"Awkward" is a relative term. I don't find TERA awkward at all. It's very clearly not an American game, because the violence is fairly toned down (the only time I've ever seen splattering blood is in a storyline cutscene) and the sex appeal is cranked up to eleven.

I'm confident enough in myself and my sexuality to not blush when I see a pair of tits that aren't my own. I don't really understand why violence is A-OK and 100% acceptable in America but once the boobs pop out, OH MY GOD CENSOR, CENSOR, CENSOR NOWWWW

Personally I'm against censorship in general, but it always amuses me how easygoing America is about gratuitous violence and how absolutely terrified it is of gratuitous sexy.
Old 2012-05-08, 14:56   Link #516
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
I uncensored my game not because I really wanted to see elin panties, but because the censorship is so ugly, obvious and doesn't fit at all I couldn't stand looking at it after seeing just how bad it got on certain outfits.

"Awkward" is a relative term. I don't find TERA awkward at all. It's very clearly not an American game, because the violence is fairly toned down (the only time I've ever seen splattering blood is in a storyline cutscene) and the sex appeal is cranked up to eleven.

I'm confident enough in myself and my sexuality to not blush when I see a pair of tits that aren't my own. I don't really understand why violence is A-OK and 100% acceptable in America but once the boobs pop out, OH MY GOD CENSOR, CENSOR, CENSOR NOWWWW

Personally I'm against censorship in general, but it always amuses me how easygoing America is about gratuitous violence and how absolutely terrified it is of gratuitous sexy.
Eh I just mean they did shorts from the start and made them good and cute. a few of my guildie elins look adorable. idk if it would look as adorable.

no offence to anyone who wants the panties.
Old 2012-05-08, 15:30   Link #517
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
The shorts cause strange clipping issues and the covering up of the belly area is rather plain, on some of them you can still see the belly button, just pasted over in paint.

But meh, its not worth enough to me, since my Elin lancer is all covered up in armor anyway.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 15:43   Link #518
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's really bad if you play an elin magic-user.
Old 2012-05-08, 16:01   Link #519
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Thank that extremist Puritan zealotry heritage... but we always find it amusing when we step across the border to B.C Vancouver ---- its like the very *air* is different about sexual themes and matters.

I find it eye-rolling that someone thought it needed "censor levels" pasted into it for skin exposure. And yeah, there's something horribly messed up about a society that glorifies violence and thinks sexy should be covered up, I mean, Afghanis.. o wait .... ...
Old 2012-05-08, 16:39   Link #520
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I'm too lazy to quote everything, but yeah, I agree with you syn and Vexx. The sorc Elin animations are indeed badass, and I personally RP my Elin with a bit of a dark personality and a sharp tongue -- even towards people she knows very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Also, Kismet-chan's absolutely kickass looking little main (that expression and eyes) made me grin evilly.
Hee-hee <3