AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-22, 13:25   Link #2601
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Right.

I wasn't expecting much from BC, but I was pleasantly surprised. I got more than I was expecting. And like you said, a lot of that has to do with keeping the story simple yet telling it well.

Sometimes, simpler is better. You're trying to get from point A to point B. You have two routes. One route is a straight shot. The other route requires you to run a gauntlet, dodge machine gun fire and fight a boss at the end.
Old 2014-04-22, 13:58   Link #2602
Kurohane

One of the things that also hurt Valvrave was definitely the cross between mecha and vampires. It's like crossing soccer and robots (Yes, I'm refering to the Inuzami 11 and Danball Senki movie). You try to make it work, but it just doesn't. Due to the faulty cross, we got powers that were hardly used, namely the body jacking. We see it for a few times, only to have it become useless most of the time. Of course, the self regeneration was useful, but still, it was never said why the magius still age in their host bodies (such as Lieselotte), while the Kamitsuki don 't. You can easily find plot holes like that throughout the show.

It doesn't help the show ends on a broken aesop, showing you can't rely on different species to co-exist by themselves, but have to force them to. I'll end my rant here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Right.

I wasn't expecting much from BC, but I was pleasantly surprised. I got more than I was expecting. And like you said, a lot of that has to do with keeping the story simple yet telling it well.

Sometimes, simpler is better. You're trying to get from point A to point B. You have two routes. One route is a straight shot. The other route requires you to run a gauntlet, dodge machine gun fire and fight a boss at the end.
After Valvrave, I've taken to heart that I rather have a predictable storyline than plot twists that just don't make sense. Example: Episode 10.
Old 2014-04-22, 15:04   Link #2603
DorkingtonPugsly

Agreeing with most of what's been said the past several posts.
I also thought the mechs in Valvrave were amongst some of the coolest I'd seen. Really loved them, wished everything else was more in tune.

Guessing that the tie in of all the separate mini series into one ending and telling a bit more of the 'after-events' kinda closes off the story for the most part. So depending on how good a closer this'll be speculation for another animated series is looking close to nil.

I don't know why they don't put out even a little bit of merch though. I'm sure there're enough fans to sell out things like dakis or nice/cute tapestries for the girls. It doesn't make sense to me business wise because this franchise has more fans/attentions than a lot of other shows, yet they sell off a ton of stuff and make good money. (just immensely frustrated I can't get to be with my waifu, ever... ;-
Old 2014-04-22, 17:53   Link #2604
Kurohane

^ It's sad to know Akira remained a hikkomori the rest of her life.
Old 2014-04-22, 18:21   Link #2605
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Well at least L-elf was implied to move on from Lise assuming the prince is his descendant. That one good thing apart from the shitty ending. If L-elf can move on, I then assume he will die in peace when his time comes. So let not be too sad, since at least one highly fan-favored character received a better treatment at the end.

Well, no more Valvrave related event apart from this fan event right? I guess it finally a formal good bye to Valvrave. Though even in one percents chances, I still so what hoped for a sequel.
Old 2014-04-22, 19:38   Link #2606
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
Meh, it's just him recording his apologies to Shouko. Not to mention that it seems to imply L-Elf as being the one to give her a shoulder to lean on from now on.

Still though, considering that all I got for Haruto and her were a few scenes of them having maybe one heart-to-heart, I still don't really care much for the ship. Not to mention that it essentially took time away from moments that could have built character for the remaining pilots and their relationships (Saki says hi) just to make us try to care for these two being forced apart.
TBH, as an EruShoko shipper, that did made me a bit happy, but that happiness is also hollow at the same time. Simply because Shoko remains hooked on Haruto for 200 years = she's never loved anyone else = No EruShoko.

Though, as DevilHigh said, L-Elf is implied to move on at the end of the day. So he did find love, even if it was with some unknown character that has yet to be introduced into the anime.

Second part of your post is on the mark. They didn't really have the time to put all that (shipping herring) in, considering that VVV's cast was so vast in the first place. Too many characters got robbed of much deserved development because of it. The shipping = zilch at the end of the day. Every ship with the exception of Satomi x Takahi effectively sunk at the end of the series.

TL;DR, They spent so much time on (pointless) shipping that the character development of the supporting cast paid for it.

--------------------------------
Btw, Buddy complex is good? I shelved it after episode 3 (Intending to pick it back up at some point). Now I'm contemplating marathoning it over the weekend.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2014-04-22, 20:40   Link #2607
Key Board
Carbon

It's a different animal from Valvrave
I don't like it as much as Valvrave

It's.. entertaining, I'd say.

It has probably the most amusing villain I've seen this year, though
You don't know what butthurt means until you've seen this guy

And oh, it's getting a 2nd season
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2014-04-22, 20:41   Link #2608
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
Btw, Buddy complex is good? I shelved it after episode 3 (Intending to pick it back up at some point). Now I'm contemplating marathoning it over the weekend.
If you can tolerant generic-ness since I somewhat liked it due to Valvrave similarly(mostly the plot and character, the rest are quite different.), you think of it as a less thrilling version of Valvrave. A major turn off for me is that the heroine is boring as she lack any uniqueness like Saki and the protagonist screaming heroine's name every friggin episodes is as annoying as Haruto's "Shoko-san!" or even a bit worst. Though that just me, you should see it yourself if you like it or not.

Edit: Like Key said, one major fun factor in this anime is the villain. You will know what true "butthurt" and what villain being NTR'd is like if you watch it!

Btw we can't say for sure, Shoko didn't move on. As so far there no evidence of that, the only girl so far that was shown so devoted to Haruto even after 2 century after he's dead is Saki. Though I really wish Saki will move on and will just forget Haruto. So your image of ShoL-elf might not really be tainted.
Old 2014-04-22, 20:44   Link #2609
Key Board
Carbon

I wish they'd do more with Hina from BC, but there's still a 2nd season
and as said, I think she has the advantage because she doesn't have to compete that hard for screentime
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2014-04-22, 20:52   Link #2610
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I'd say if you can go into it with moderate expectations, you might have a good time with it. YMMV of course. I will say I thought it was generic at first, but I stuck with and have been enjoying it. It doesn't have the sense of spectacle that Valvrave had, but I'm enjoying the story and characters more than Valvrave.

Side-Note: What is it with Sakurai getting stuck with dudes who are unlucky in the romance department this year? I agree, you haven't seen salty until you've seen how Bizon acts. And apparently in Nobunaga the Fool, Mitsuhide isn't doing much better.
Old 2014-04-22, 22:12   Link #2611
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Thanks for the heads up on Buddy Complex guys. So now I'm expecting a moderately interesting plot & the very definition of butthurt. Poor Bizon, I've heard about him getting NTR'd, he must really be bitter. I'll marathon it between Friday & Saturday.

DevilHigh: Well, I've more or less given up on EruShoko at this point. In the anime epilogue, we saw her in the memorial & Saki/Akira basically hinted that she spends almost all her free time there. So I'd take that as the prime evidence that she never moved on from Haruto.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2014-04-23, 09:05   Link #2612
stagrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
One of the things that also hurt Valvrave was definitely the cross between mecha and vampires. It's like crossing soccer and robots (Yes, I'm refering to the Inuzami 11 and Danball Senki movie). You try to make it work, but it just doesn't. Due to the faulty cross, we got powers that were hardly used, namely the body jacking. We see it for a few times, only to have it become useless most of the time. Of course, the self regeneration was useful, but still, it was never said why the magius still age in their host bodies (such as Lieselotte), while the Kamitsuki don 't. You can easily find plot holes like that throughout the show..
Its less the cross that hurt them but more how it was used. Crossing Vampire and Mecha is fine but the mechs themselves were not crossed. I'd say the Valvraves themselves could have benefited from some Kamitski or unique abilities.

And that Magius age while Kamitski don't isn't really a plot hole since while they are similar since kamitski are genetically engineered differences are allowed.
Old 2014-04-23, 21:46   Link #2613
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

only single timelines have to worry about logic and maintaining the loop
multiple timelines don't have to, because the timelines can not interfere with each other's past
ie: whatever I do in timeline B will not affect my own past in timeline A
as said, an example of this is in BuddyComplex. Another mecha show by Sunrise
Are you sure about it? The show never mention about parallel dimensions, or String Theory. Well, it's not the discussion of another anime anyway. Back then, people would compare Velvrave with other robot shows of the seasons, such as Suisei no Gargantia and Galaxy something. Those robot shows have better sale. If Velvrave's sale is equivalent to its online discussion, they would make the third season already.

It's ridiculous to compare these two.
Spoiler for random scenario:

The only similarity between Velvrave and that Sunrise show is they have "fujoshi flu shot". They already introduced the fujoshi element, so fujoshi lack the interest to make the pairings. If they don't have the "flu shot", they may end up as Magi and Haikyu!!
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
Old 2014-04-24, 00:30   Link #2614
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
Are you sure about it? The show never mention about parallel dimensions, or String Theory. Well, it's not the discussion of another anime anyway. Back then, people would compare Velvrave with other robot shows of the seasons, such as Suisei no Gargantia and Galaxy something. Those robot shows have better sale. If Velvrave's sale is equivalent to its online discussion, they would make the third season already.

It's ridiculous to compare these two.
Spoiler for random scenario:

The only similarity between Velvrave and that Sunrise show is they have "fujoshi flu shot". They already introduced the fujoshi element, so fujoshi lack the interest to make the pairings. If they don't have the "flu shot", they may end up as Magi and Haikyu!!

What do you mean by 'flu shot'. The only ones who honestly believe Aoba x Dio is a pairing are the delusional ones who force it. it's funny because the show basically shoves Aoba x Hina pairing in the viewer face all the time. Especially by Aoba actions and words when it concerns Hina safety.
Old 2014-04-24, 01:11   Link #2615
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames View Post
What do you mean by 'flu shot'. The only ones who honestly believe Aoba x Dio is a pairing are the delusional ones who force it. it's funny because the show basically shoves Aoba x Hina pairing in the viewer face all the time. Especially by Aoba actions and words when it concerns Hina safety.
Just when I thought Buddy Complex discussion in Velvrave thread should be over..... The comparison of Velvrave and Buddy Complex is boring. The explanation seems boring, becuase it is. So, I'll talk no more about Buddy Complex.

Spoiler for boring explanation:
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
Old 2014-04-24, 02:41   Link #2616
username31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
Just when I thought Buddy Complex discussion in Velvrave thread should be over..... The comparison of Velvrave and Buddy Complex is boring. The explanation seems boring, becuase it is. So, I'll talk no more about Buddy Complex.

Spoiler for boring explanation:
Spoiler:

Last edited by username31; 2014-04-24 at 03:13.
Old 2014-04-24, 17:29   Link #2617
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagrider View Post
Its less the cross that hurt them but more how it was used. Crossing Vampire and Mecha is fine but the mechs themselves were not crossed. I'd say the Valvraves themselves could have benefited from some Kamitski or unique abilities.

And that Magius age while Kamitski don't isn't really a plot hole since while they are similar since kamitski are genetically engineered differences are allowed.
I agree with that. The staff could have taken and extended the rune absorption to the mecha battles as well, now that I think about it. Every mech the Valvrave destroys, it's information and the enemy pilot's are absorbed by the Valvrave via runes. Imagine it. Haruto takes out an enemy mech, and suddenly a memory comes to him that's not his, but from the enemy pilot he just killed. It was him with his family, looking happy and such. This would apply to all the Valvrave pilots, but this would affect Haruto most especially considering his nature. He realizes that everyone, ally and enemy alike has a reason for fighting. This would help him develop a worldview aspect on battle and warfare, and help him overcome his self-worth complex. Oh well, too bad the creators didn't want to focus on that.
Old 2014-04-24, 18:20   Link #2618
iCK

Quote:
I agree with that. The staff could have taken and extended the rune absorption to the mecha battles as well, now that I think about it. Every mech the Valvrave destroys, it's information and the enemy pilot's are absorbed by the Valvrave via runes. Imagine it. Haruto takes out an enemy mech, and suddenly a memory comes to him that's not his, but from the enemy pilot he just killed. It was him with his family, looking happy and such. This would apply to all the Valvrave pilots, but this would affect Haruto most especially considering his nature. He realizes that everyone, ally and enemy alike has a reason for fighting. This would help him develop a worldview aspect on battle and warfare, and help him overcome his self-worth complex. Oh well, too bad the creators didn't want to focus on that.
This idea is actually, right now, in a very good fanfic
Old 2014-04-24, 19:28   Link #2619
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCK View Post
This idea is actually, right now, in a very good fanfic
Could you give the title? I want to search for it.
Old 2014-04-24, 19:38   Link #2620
iCK

Quote:
Could you give the title? I want to search for it.
It's not really taken in-depth but it has him going through episodes with memories of people he killed.
He also adapted to war and such with the memories

Valvrave The Founding of An Empire by AJ-Writer
Closed Thread