AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-08-23, 13:30   Link #141
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Thanks for pointing out the right files to change, I was totally looking in the wrong place. A for the QuEnc encoding, i've already thought of a way around that (in a sense) with back-up folders for WS and FS settings, which I can swap in and out. It isn't the best, but I can't afford to buy CCE right now so it'll have to do. Well, unless I wanted to pirate it, but I REALLY don't like pirating things. Well, maybe when I get more money or something since you said it was faster, and roughly 1 hour for video encode per ep (My CPU isn't the best lol) is bad with QuEnc.

So the borders don't have to be equal and the pic stays the same aspect ratio... I was wondering about that but didn't think it would change. I also had figured that the borders were left, top, right, bottom, but wanted to be sure before mucking around with them, especially with the long encodes. I had tried to preview the .avs file in my media player and it looked all wrong (double picture, wrong color, ect) so I didn't even think about trying to preview the .avs to see the borders. Although I didn't use MPC... so maybe I should have tried that lol.

After finding an old RW I was able to burn the new encode (with the right settings for WS and resize and such right lol) and it looked fine. Though I still need to fine-tune the borders some. Left and Right were fine, but the top could use a little triming, and the bottom was way out of whack. Its like my picture is being shifted up (which is possible) like your's is being shifted to the left. Although I see from your settings that your bottom is WAY smaller then the top also. Is that just something that happens on widescreen tvs or something?

For the MKVExtract, I had figured the GUI was something you hadn't included but wanted to be sure. I tried messing around with it in comand line form, but I didn't really get how to use it, so i'll just google it and find the gui lol. Just out of interest, any reason you didn't include it?

Anyways, thanks for the help again.
Cynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 14:59   Link #142
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor
Just out of interest, any reason you didn't include it?
The applications in the \Scripts\Apps\ folder were not really meant to be directly accessed,
it was just meant to be a heap of tools my scripts use to extract things like audio & subtitles
from MKV files.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 15:56   Link #143
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Makes sense, though with you pointing out a work around for the AAC audio in your faq using the mmg, which (and correct me if i'm wrong) is basically a GUI for MKV Merge, so wouldn't it make sense to include the GUI for MKVExtract? Well, I guess that could just be my thinking lol.

On a different note, when messing with my border settings, I realized that the way I was making the playable DvDs only supports 1 resolution, and resizes the video to fit that. So, border size basically doesn't matter.. The output files (with borders) were like around 720x370, which then got resized to 720x480, which tossed the borders out of whack, and basically made it so all the border settings looked the same when burned.

Do you think that over-sizing the borders and video would correct that so it shrinks down to the right size? I know you said you liked to use TMPGEnc DVD Author, but it wasn't the best for making "elaborate DVD menu's" but how do you define "elaborate"? Is the prog basically just a BG and thumbnails?

I'm looking over the videohelp and doom9 stuff, but its a lot to look over and I was hoping maybe someone would be able to offer some advice on this. Maybe changing the video resize to make everything that size? But that may throw off the over-all aspect ratio... shrinking the borders doesn't seem to make any difference, and I kind of doubt that over-sizing them would work.
Old 2006-08-23, 16:24   Link #144
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor
Makes sense, though with you pointing out a work around for the AAC audio in your faq using the mmg, which (and correct me if i'm wrong) is basically a GUI for MKV Merge, so wouldn't it make sense to include the GUI for MKVExtract? Well, I guess that could just be my thinking lol.
The \MKV\ folder is the contents of a package called "mkvtoolnix", which includes "mmg.exe".
MKVExtractGUI is however not part of that package.

As for the borders... thought it might be that I only included that functionality in a development version
(which I haven't touched in a while -- I suppose it's time for an upgrade), but the output should
always be 720x480, everything is simply automatically calculated.

As I said I only encode to watch once, not to burn permanently, so I don't even border with menu's
in TMPEGEnc DVDAuthor. I just throw all files in there, select "no menu" and let it run. Then I burn
it straight to a RW and simply use the chapter buttons on my DVD remote to navigate through
the episodes (each episode is a chapter).
Old 2006-08-23, 17:09   Link #145
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
As for the borders... thought it might be that I only included that functionality in a development version
(which I haven't touched in a while -- I suppose it's time for an upgrade), but the output should
always be 720x480, everything is simply automatically calculated.
While i'm not entirely sure what you mean by that (trying to say you thought that functionality was in every version but it is just in your dev version?), as it stands right now my outputs are basically a combination of the borders and video re-size. Using these settings:

Code:
WideScreenResize	= 660,330
WideScreenBorder	= 30,20,30,20
My output file is 720x370 pixels

which, if you add the borders together to come to 60 and 40 extra pixels added on, which does come out to the 720x370. I don't think I changed anything besides the .php for que with the aspect ratio and the .ini for config in terms of file changes.

If I change the WideScreenResize feild to use the stuff from the FullScreen it does equal out to 720x480, but then I run into that problem from before with the side borders basically forcing it into a distorted 4:3 aspect with the same size borders as if it was still showing on my TV is 4:3 mode rather then 16x9 (I even checked and the border size is basically the exact same)

So am I doing something wrong here with the resizing and such? I know the first time I had encoded the widescreen stuff (using the carbon copy like I had said I did before) it was still using the 4:3 encode method in QuEnc. Was tht the over-all problem and I should have kept the video resize to the fullscreen stuff also but just switched the encode aspect ratio?

Sorry if it seems like i'm asking a lot of questions without trying to mess with the settings myself, but with an hour per episode.. Well, it is kind of a pain even using the .avs file as a templete for seeing the file output, but since the output is supposed to be 720x480 and those aren't adding up it seems pointless to burn to a dvd and do a full encode when it seems like it is going to be the same until I can get that output to 720x480 or something.

Edit: Ok, so changing the widescreen options to basically carbon-copies (in terms of numbers) and making sure all the other options were set to 16x9 ratio, it turned out looking a lot more like the other ones I was messing around with (through the avs file) and like the one I burned to dvd last night, but with the proper output size of 720x480. Maybe i'll try fully encoding and burning this one to see if it looks right.

Edit2: Ok, so that worked like a charm for me at least. Using the video options to be a carbon copy like before, but with the encode to 16:9 rather then 4:3 and it works fine. Can't see the borders at all, and it doesn't seem to be overly cut-off from the little bit of over-scan that is left. I may tweak a little to try to get it to the "extreme" edge of the borders, but i'll probably just leave it alone since it looks fine now. Thanks for the help in telling me what to change and all for it to automatically encode in 16:9 and 4:3

I would like to ask a question about CCE though... just how long (on average) does it take to encode a 24 min episode? Even if I don't burn for permanent storage in playable form (which I probably wont) at roughly an hour per episode that will suck even for just burning to watch once then erase.

Last edited by Cynor; 2006-08-23 at 19:51.
Old 2006-08-25, 11:57   Link #146
popoycanton

A 20 minute episode using CCE takes about 11~ minutes for me on One-Pass VBR Q factor of 25.

GHDpro this is really one superb guide...
popoycanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 16:25   Link #147
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

How fast an encode goes depends a lot on your PC, so I'm not sure if it's easy to compare.
I don't really encode things with QuEnc since I have CCE, but for me an encode usually takes
about 30-40 minutes using 2-pass VBR. This is to get some extra quality at a low bitrate,
at higher bitrate you could use CBR which is twice as fast.

I currently use a 4-year old Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz for encoding, but hopefully sometime this week
or early next week I'll finally get my new PC equiped with a Core 2 Duo CPU, and I'm really
eager to see how fast an encode will go on a system like that (CCE supports multi-core/cpu).

If you don't mind waiting you could still use QuEnc of course, and simply encode overnight
and at any other moment you're not using your PC and/or are not at home, which I do all the time.
Old 2006-08-25, 17:49   Link #148
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

My current PC is probably slightly worse then yours for encoding, but not by much. So its nice to know about how long I could expect. As it is, I just finished troubleshooting some major PC problems so I haven't had a chance to encode anything really once I fine-tuned the settings some. But, that is what I plan to do, leave it on overnight to encode and such
Old 2006-09-01, 15:32   Link #149
akurashy
Cookie monstah!

I'm a bit confused sorry for being a starter here

I want to put ouran host high school in dvd a few eps so I started using this guide, i notice it divides the audio and video but was wondering, if there is a static file with both? (no idea since i haven't finished)

well i was thinking about buying another HD and a TV out cable since i have a geforce, but still no way out lol, my bro's gf wants anime :| so i still end up encoding lol

it seems to take 40 mins, but i want to lower it on a bitrate of 2400, is this possible? like i said im new to encodingi this kind of things
Old 2006-09-01, 15:58   Link #150
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The scripts encode audio and video seperately and produce a M2V (video) and MP2 (audio) file.
By default both files are multiplexed into a MPG file unless "SkipMPlex" is set to "1" in config.ini

Lowering the bitrate is possible, though QuEnc is known not to really hold to the bitrate very well.
You can still get reasonble quality in CCE at 2000 kbps using VBR encoding.

In other news, I'm really thinking about working on a new version of the scripts again,
but right now I'm having trouble actually sitting down and start writing code. There are
just to many distractions
Old 2006-09-01, 16:16   Link #151
akurashy
Cookie monstah!

so now i have to err put them together how? x_X

i kinda configured CCE but decided to go with quenc, well i'll see how did it go when i see the quality of the m2v and decide which to stick with.

If I want the quality same as the computer or better how much bitrate would it be? I only read that 2000 gave nice quality so dunno.
Old 2006-09-02, 03:12   Link #152
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by akurashy
so now i have to err put them together how? x_X
Actually, GHDpro just told you that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
By default both files are multiplexed into a MPG file unless "SkipMPlex" is set to "1" in config.ini
In other words, they are automatically put together if you use the default settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akurashy
If I want the quality same as the computer or better how much bitrate would it be? I only read that 2000 gave nice quality so dunno.
Video quality can never be increased over the source. Every time you encode, you degrade quality. I think that you'll be happy with a 5000 kbit/s bitrate. That won't produce notable quality degradation.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 11:26   Link #153
akurashy
Cookie monstah!

Sorry, just realized it after it finished but something weird happened, it went playing different audios and video like offset, don't know what happened it was something kind of weird

I don't know how many linux users are here but have someone copied anime using k3b (KDE CD/DVD Creator, i dont use KDE)
Old 2006-09-02, 16:40   Link #154
SDAnimeFan
Bleach Fanatic

I figured this problem out.

Last edited by SDAnimeFan; 2006-09-05 at 15:16.
SDAnimeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 15:14   Link #155
SDAnimeFan
Bleach Fanatic

OK I figured out how to encode my audio into AC3. I use QuEnc 0.7.1.0 it self. What I do is load the AVI file I want to encode in it. Set it to encode the audio only ehcourse I choose AC3. Then I use your script to encode the video, And finally I use TMPG DVD Author to merge the two files together. And there you have it a DVD video with AC3.

The Audio it self doesn't take long to encode at all only a few minutes. So it should not add much more time to your encoding process.

I just thought I would add my 2cents here.
SDAnimeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 03:01   Link #156
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Software to convert Ogms/Mkv/Avi AND Not into Vob format

Want a sotware which can interconvert a specific file ,especially ogm to avi

It would be really helpfully if someone could suggest a freeware/shareware if available
Old 2006-09-07, 05:24   Link #157
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_shinigami
Software to convert Ogms/Mkv/Avi AND Not into Vob format

Want a sotware which can interconvert a specific file ,especially ogm to avi

It would be really helpfully if someone could suggest a freeware/shareware if available
That's not what this thread is about. There are probably tools around to convert OGM to AVI, try www.videohelp.com

Personally I'd simply convert the file to MKV first using MKVMergeGUI ("mmg.exe" in the mkvtoolnix package: Google it)
and then extract the various tracks using MVKExtractGUI (again Google it).
Old 2006-09-07, 11:17   Link #158
youknowme

Hi, I was using this process for a while now to get avis to dvd and it worked flawlessly, but I think that I was careless and deleted folders in the encoding folder, so everytime I queue a file it says something that no NFO was found for the file. So can someone please tell me what the folders are in the encoding folder, I know there was a NFO, AVS, and I think at least one more, thanks.
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 21:19   Link #159
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Actually I ain't looking for Avi to Mkv/Ogm .I wanted a softaware specifically to convert Ogm/Mkv to Avi

Well I need these files to run in Flash 04 . And well Flsh 04 only recognises Avi . To make to matters worse after Macromedia was taken over by Adobe in 05 , there hav'nt been new versions of Macromedia Products
Old 2006-09-10, 14:17   Link #160
Luinwen

How would i got about changing the space around the left and right sides of the picture? Ive been tickering with the numbers under "FullScreenResize" and "FullScreenBoarder" but there havent been any changes to the amount of black space that wasnt there under the default numbers.

Thanks.
Luinwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file conversion, wiki candidate