AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-28, 19:17   Link #2661
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Question: Is there an equation to calculate: how high the water will splash if you drop an object onto water?

I know it depend on water density, area in contact, object density, force causes....etc.... but don't know the exact equation
Old 2009-03-28, 19:24   Link #2662
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_water_equations
Old 2009-03-29, 03:00   Link #2663
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I see... people just love spices

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 11:14   Link #2664
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
It's harder to understand than i expect, (maybe i'm just tired and lazy ) but ty anyway

PS:no cookies =/
Old 2009-03-30, 01:48   Link #2665
FateAnomaly

This is probably a stupid question but why do people catch a cold when they got drenched in the rain. A cold is a viral condition while getting drenched is a physical condition. Does the immunity system drop when people are exposed to low temperatures?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 02:00   Link #2666
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
This is probably a stupid question but why do people catch a cold when they got drenched in the rain. A cold is a viral condition while getting drenched is a physical condition. Does the immunity system drop when people are exposed to low temperatures?
Ledgem once wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
...I heard some really great examples of these in a psychology class once, when we were asked to write down how we thought that people caught a cold, as described by our parents. Coming from a family of doctors I'd sort of expected that everyone knew this one, but the responses were pretty amazing. Some examples included getting your feet wet, touching someone else's mucus, leaving the window open at night... all sorts of things. All of those are observations of what can lead to a person coming down with a cold, but all of them simply facilitate the disease state - none of them are directly the cause. I'd imagine that's the case with the two examples you've listed, as well (that is, bathing itself doesn't do anything but frequently lowering your body temperature might, and bathing at night has the potential to do that).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 02:19   Link #2667
Clarste
Human

I think I've heard somewhere that the body temperature weakening your immune system thing is a myth with no empirical evidence. It's pretty much made up by people who understand diseases but try to rationalize the folklore reasons for colds.

I haven't actually studied it, but assuming that people actually do statistically get more colds after being drenched or leaving the window open (you can't just assume that, although so many separate cultures associate colds with well, coldness, that it seems reasonable that it might be true), I would guess that it has to do with increased exposure. Your hands get wet and you touch doorknobs and such that have also been touched by people who got their hands wet. Presumably it's easier for virii to move in liquids (although maybe not). Leaving the window open causes air to circulate more, including air with virii. These are just guesses though.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 02:32   Link #2668
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wearing your energy levels down through extremes and stress can increase your odds of getting sick because your immune system is compromised. That's about the ONLY connection to most of the folklore stuff.
Colds are viral critters... there are many varieties and they mutate fast. Most immune systems don't adapt fast enough to ward them all off. Second... many people mistake allergic reactions for cold symptoms. Mold and pollen can deliver symptoms that are easy to mistake for a cold.

Wash your hands with soap and dry them. Amazingly simple avoidance technique and amazingly ill-practiced.
Old 2009-03-30, 21:15   Link #2669
Alchemist007
*Author

I suppose its been there forever, but what's with the High Vision mark I see on the top right of some anime?
Old 2009-03-30, 22:04   Link #2670
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

High-Vision is the equivalent of "High-Definiton Television" (aka HDTV):

Quote:
"High-vision" is the popular name of the high-definition TV broadcasting (HDTV) that has been promoted with Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK) at the forefront of HDTV development. At first, although it originally referred to HDTV by analog technology (which began experimental broadcasting in 1989), "high-vision" today is widely used and includes digital HDTV. High-resolution pictures (formed by scanning 1125 lines) on a horizontally-wide screen (i.e., a horizontal-to-vertical ratio of 16:9) is a characteristic of high-vision TV.
~from this site
If you see the HV logo on some anime episode, that means that same episode was broadcasted in High-Definition
Old 2009-03-31, 09:33   Link #2671
KimmyChan

Can anyone tell me when the live-action Legend Of Zelda movie is going to be released over here in the UK? I saw the trailer for it on YouTube the other day and think it looks really good and totally wanna see it! ;D
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 09:57   Link #2672
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

April fools joke?
Old 2009-03-31, 10:11   Link #2673
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I know there are a couple of fanvids that pretend to be trailers, but this would be the first I'd heard of a live-action Zelda movie.

And it's too early! Can't we confine pranks to one day?
Old 2009-03-31, 10:19   Link #2674
lsley
*Graphic Designer

I'd say if the were to make a movie, it would be animated.
Additionaly (if you talk of the trailer I think) it's english, so... noe =P
Old 2009-03-31, 10:42   Link #2675
KimmyChan

I'm hazarding a guess that it'll be sometime around October/November time
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 19:28   Link #2676
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Is there a link to said trailer?

I remember a similar thing coming out for April Fool's a while back. It was a fake trailer for a live-action Zelda movie created by IGN. It was very well done and they even released a 'making of' video later to show how they put the trailer together. For the amount of work they put into it it was very easy to think it was for an actual movie.
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 21:42   Link #2677
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

It may sound silly but someone could describe to me the odor of the myrrh , please.
Old 2009-04-01, 06:02   Link #2678
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Something I've been wondering about Korean manhwa recently. Many of the male characters are difficult to distinguish from females, while in Japanese manga it is usually very easy to tell the difference between the genders. Is there any specific reason why the genders look so similar in Korean stories?
Old 2009-04-01, 07:18   Link #2679
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhwa#Manhwa_style

Simple answer: it's because its drawn more realistically.
Old 2009-04-01, 11:46   Link #2680
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Is the spoiler icon on animesuki from something? If so, what and who?

Tags
problem, q&a, serious