Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-04, 17:16   Link #481
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Oh, I wouldn't speak too soon here... We've still got the "five minutes" on Namek, which I believe is pretty much THE example people use when complaining about Dragonball Z's pacing.
I just hope they don't dumb that part down too much. Those scenes were pretty darn fun to watch.

How long is that five minute fight in the manga? I'm sure its not as long as the shows version, but I doubt it's extremely short in the manga either.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 18:32   Link #482
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
I just hope they don't dumb that part down too much. Those scenes were pretty darn fun to watch.

How long is that five minute fight in the manga? I'm sure its not as long as the shows version, but I doubt it's extremely short in the manga either.
The whole Goku vs. Freeza fight was 20 chapters in the manga, whereas in the anime it was 19 episodes. Basically, the pacing was 1 chapter = 1 episode.

As for the 5 minutes until Planet Namek exploded, it took the manga 9 chapters to reach that point, and it took the anime 9 episodes to reach that point.
Old 2009-05-04, 18:43   Link #483
ultramojones
Pfjaklsq of Greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The whole Goku vs. Freeza fight was 20 chapters in the manga, whereas in the anime it was 19 episodes. Basically, the pacing was 1 chapter = 1 episode.

As for the 5 minutes until Planet Namek exploded, it took the manga 9 chapters to reach that point, and it took the anime 9 episodes to reach that point.
wow, lol, and the pacing for kai is currently 2-4 chapters per episode? so that means, ~3 episodes for 5 minutes
ultramojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 19:34   Link #484
kobun

quick question, i love the pacing, however of all the snakeway segments, isnt goku's trip to hell the most important part of his journey. only because the story will reference gokus trip into hell later on in the series?
kobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 19:40   Link #485
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobun View Post
quick question, i love the pacing, however of all the snakeway segments, isnt goku's trip to hell the most important part of his journey. only because the story will reference gokus trip into hell later on in the series?
When does he go to hell later on? The only time I can think it may have happened was in GT, and that's not real anyway.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 20:06   Link #486
ultramojones
Pfjaklsq of Greatness

im not sure about this but wasn't his trip to hell a filler?
ultramojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 20:26   Link #487
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Spoiler for Piccolo's Regeneration:

Edit: Michsi beat me to it.

Spoiler for Piccolo's Usefulness in the Buu Arc:
I mean we can relate Piccolo to a veggie, but he can also have reptilian-like characteristics. For some reason, he reminds me of a praying mantis, the way he was drawn. So I guess he has both plant-like reptilian characteristics? I know that some types of gecko detatch their tail, or you can cut it off yourself, and will regenerate it over time. But plants do that as well. Reptilians can also survive extreme conditions without water.
Old 2009-05-04, 20:52   Link #488
kobun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
When does he go to hell later on? The only time I can think it may have happened was in GT, and that's not real anyway.
lol your right, i was thinking about that awful movie where all the dead come back to life...

don't we see vegeta in hell? and cell and frezza causing trouble in hell in the bou saga?
kobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 00:17   Link #489
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
I mean we can relate Piccolo to a veggie, but he can also have reptilian-like characteristics. For some reason, he reminds me of a praying mantis, the way he was drawn. So I guess he has both plant-like reptilian characteristics?
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

I'm assuming your second sentence is detatched from your other two senteces before and after? Mantis is not a reptalian, it's an insect.
Old 2009-05-05, 00:36   Link #490
Fran~
floating away...

Right back to science classes
Old 2009-05-05, 01:00   Link #491
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobun View Post
Nope. Goku falling into Hell was filler. In fact, we never even SEE Hell in the manga.
Old 2009-05-05, 02:16   Link #492
Michsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
I mean we can relate Piccolo to a veggie, but he can also have reptilian-like characteristics. For some reason, he reminds me of a praying mantis, the way he was drawn. So I guess he has both plant-like reptilian characteristics? I know that some types of gecko detatch their tail, or you can cut it off yourself, and will regenerate it over time. But plants do that as well. Reptilians can also survive extreme conditions without water.
Akira Toriyama himself stated that he didn't think much about these details when he created the namekian race. Initially Piccolo was supposed to be a demon and nothing more. He created the namekian race based upon Piccolo' s appearance and abilities things that were long established. The fact that he drew Piccolo with antenae made him think of slugs hence the name namekian, which if I'm not mistaken is a word play on the japanese name for slugs (like vegetables for saiyans) But as I said, there is no point in trying to figure out what racetype they are if the author himself doesn't know :P
Michsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 02:36   Link #493
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michsi View Post
Akira Toriyama himself stated that he didn't think much about these details when he created the namekian race. Initially Piccolo was supposed to be a demon and nothing more. He created the namekian race based upon Piccolo' s appearance and abilities things that were long established. The fact that he drew Piccolo with antenae made him think of slugs hence the name namekian, which if I'm not mistaken is a word play on the japanese name for slugs (like vegetables for saiyans) But as I said, there is no point in trying to figure out what racetype they are if the author himself doesn't know :P
Yes, Japanese for slugs is namekuji.
Old 2009-05-05, 09:18   Link #494
GDB

Also explains that one movie where the evil namekian is named "Lord Slug".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 19:47   Link #495
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

I'm assuming your second sentence is detatched from your other two senteces before and after? Mantis is not a reptalian, it's an insect.
Yeah it's detatched, sorry if I was not specific in my earlier post. But that's just my opinion.
Old 2009-05-06, 00:02   Link #496
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Heh, this new director's cut is bringing back a lot of childhood memories. The pacing is so far so good, but here is to hoping that they stop at the Buu arc, for GT was an abomination.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 01:51   Link #497
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Heh, this new director's cut is bringing back a lot of childhood memories. The pacing is so far so good, but here is to hoping that they stop at the Buu arc, for GT was an abomination.

- Tak
GT was a trainwreck, I have to agree with you on that but I didn't mind the Buu arc so much. The Buu arc just wasn't on par with the prior sagas, in my opinion.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 03:19   Link #498
Michsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
GT was a trainwreck, I have to agree with you on that but I didn't mind the Buu arc so much. The Buu arc just wasn't on par with the prior sagas, in my opinion.
Is it true that GT was supposed to be longer only it got canceled due to low ratings? I only watched the last episode out of curiosity and it was one of the most anticlimatic, rushed endings of any series I've ever seen. I mean you'd expect something more from a extremely popular, 400 + episodes long anime.

Anyway I pretend it doesn't exist. Apparentely so does Akira Toriyama.
Michsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 07:12   Link #499
Alchemist007
*Author

Wow he's already going to reach King Kai by ep 6? That's what I'm talking about.
Oh I'm sure this has been mentioned before but its the best fan dub I've ever heard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9IdUR7qaw
There's 9 episodes so far.
Old 2009-05-06, 09:13   Link #500
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michsi View Post
Anyway I pretend it doesn't exist. Apparentely so does Akira Toriyama.
And to think it was him who supervised a lot of the production in GT. What great irony.

That being said, GT was just plain weird, and very un-dragonball. SSJ 4 was overkill, although FINAL KAMEHAMEHA always make me smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Wow he's already going to reach King Kai by ep 6? That's what I'm talking about.
You know, I never quite understood the censorship when DB was ported to the US. I remember a friend asking me if I knew anything more about King Kai, and I was like "who the hell is that", then I realized that he was actually talking about Kaioshin. Later I realized that Kami is no longer Kami and Enma is no longer Enma because he isn't exactly St. Peters guarding the entrance to heaven. Took me a while to comprehend the notion that even in a fictional world, having fictional deities would be a great offense to the general public (or maybe just to the few who imported the damn thing)...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote