AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2011-12-18, 17:17   Link #121
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
One Piece is grander, sadder, funnier and more satisfying than any other manga I've read. That's pretty much it.
Old 2011-12-19, 00:38   Link #122
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

The great thing about One Piece that separates it will always be the fight-creativity...There's no show in shonen history that can come up with more stuff for super-powered characters to do...And what's great is that it's rarely obvious just based on the surface...To think this show can go 500 episodes deep and still come up with new $hit for a man made of rubber to do is astonishing at times...

I mean take a random villain like Lucci for example...The fact that he is a cat beast is probably the least interesting thing about his set of abilities...In One Piece how a character looks or what he is perceived to be from a fighting standpoint is almost never even close to what his/her set of skills are really about...

It takes a very imaginative person to consistently keep supplying this level of stuff throughout the history of a long show (With a seemingly endless cachet of characters)...Luffy just got upgraded to Hachi 10 years into the show, which means the first 10 years he was just playing around^^...
Old 2011-12-19, 12:36   Link #123
White Silver King
The Isley

One Piece is great because Oda is an amazing writer. He's written one of the saddest stories I've ever read (Robin's background in particular) but also the some of the most heart-warming and inspiring (when Luffy makes Robin say she wants to live at Enies Lobby was the single greatest moment of any manga ever). He's truly a genius.
Old 2011-12-23, 13:10   Link #124
Lil Kis

I have seen the first 91 episodes so far and is Arlong Arc really the best arc of the series?! I thought this should would get even better and more epic than the Arlong Arc. The Arlong Arc was good and all but not a perfect 10. I heard the Alabstra Arc and Skypeia Arc are even better than Arlong arc is this true? I'm currently finished with episode 91 so the next episode is the Alabastra arc. Is that arc even better than Arlong? I don't wanna watch the rest of the episodes until season 4 is released by Funimation. Sorry I only watch dubs. I love One Piece though and want it to get even better...that the Arlong Arc...does it? Thanks
Lil Kis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 13:55   Link #125
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Kis View Post
I have seen the first 91 episodes so far and is Arlong Arc really the best arc of the series?! I thought this should would get even better and more epic than the Arlong Arc. The Arlong Arc was good and all but not a perfect 10. I heard the Alabstra Arc and Skypeia Arc are even better than Arlong arc is this true? I'm currently finished with episode 91 so the next episode is the Alabastra arc. Is that arc even better than Arlong? I don't wanna watch the rest of the episodes until season 4 is released by Funimation. Sorry I only watch dubs. I love One Piece though and want it to get even better...that the Arlong Arc...does it? Thanks
In my honest opinion the show gets much, much better once they reach the Grand Line. Skypia is my personal favorite, mostly due to the main antagonist (<3 Enel).
Thriller Bark was in my opinion the weakest of the Grand Line arcs, yet it still surpassed the Arlong arc for me.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 18:42   Link #126
Undertaker

Arlong Arc was what turned this series from good to great for me. Alabstra Arc turn great to classic. And W7-EL/Shabody/ID/Marineford turns classic to god-like/best all time (in shounen action).
Old 2011-12-27, 04:17   Link #127
itachi-san314

Quote:
Most definitely YES! I find it hard to believe that some people think that Arlong arc was the best. I think Alabasta, Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark, Amazon Lilly and Impel Down arcs are all way better. Basically, OP keeps getting better with each arc and with each added character
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 22:04   Link #128
Slayerx

Quote:
Arlong arc is not the best arc; its the arc where One Piece STARTS to be great
The series is something of a slow starter. Captain Morgan, Buggy,Kuro Don Krieg are all 'ok', but Arlong is where it really starts picking up... ofcourse following the anime also means you will end up wading through filler so there will be some ups and downs...
Old 2012-01-13, 09:39   Link #129
yakumo-chan

The reason why we dont get tired of watching and reading One Piece is because the story in every Island is always New.... So the feeling of getting tired of watching this series is immediately erased.
Unlike Naruto, the story of Naruto is all about retrieving Sasuke, and the people are already tired of watching Naruto looking for Sasuke,
Old 2012-01-13, 21:26   Link #130
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
One thing i like about one piece is that it has revelations that are actually capable of surprising me. Seriously, with most other shounens like Bleach, narutop and a lot of the odler ones, there haven't been that many surprises. Sure they'll reveal something i did not know, but reveal just gets a real "meh" reaction from me; the reveal is either not that epic, or i just plain don't care about what's being revealed. With One piece however, some of the reveals throughout the series have been able to floor me; I get a real "Holy Shit!" reaction"... and that's why I never read one piece spoilers, so i never have a chance of spoiling a good surprise... unlike Naruto and bleach where i know any surprise they deliver will not be all that surprising.
i totally agree! he never fails to surprise me. sure, there are some predictable stuff here and there, but there are those that totally blew me away. i had plenty of those "holy shit!" moments too. i remember when i first read the skypiea arc and i couldn't seem to understand its relevance to the story. but then halfway through it i start to realize my mistake and by the time it ended i felt a newfound respect for oda. i love how he wraps things up in every arc he writes and how he ties up all these arcs that you know each of them are significant to the main plot.

Quote:
The great thing about One Piece that separates it will always be the fight-creativity...There's no show in shonen history that can come up with more stuff for super-powered characters to do...And what's great is that it's rarely obvious just based on the surface...To think this show can go 500 episodes deep and still come up with new $hit for a man made of rubber to do is astonishing at times...

I mean take a random villain like Lucci for example...The fact that he is a cat beast is probably the least interesting thing about his set of abilities...In One Piece how a character looks or what he is perceived to be from a fighting standpoint is almost never even close to what his/her set of skills are really about...

It takes a very imaginative person to consistently keep supplying this level of stuff throughout the history of a long show (With a seemingly endless cachet of characters)...Luffy just got upgraded to Hachi 10 years into the show, which means the first 10 years he was just playing around^^...
i agree with this one too. oda is a creative genius. a lot of people say one piece is overrated because there are other series that are much better. well maybe. but in shonen manga, i doubt there's anything better than one piece as far as plot, humor, adventure, action, creativity and appeal. it has all the right ingredients and in the right doses too. some manga may possess better and imaginative plots but one piece has more appeal in terms of humor and writing. oda's plot may have seriously heavy themes but he presents them in a way that even little kids could understand. and you hardly feel the tension because it's so damn funny! not all manga-ka have the ability to do that.

Quote:
Arlong Arc was what turned this series from good to great for me. Alabstra Arc turn great to classic. And W7-EL/Shabody/ID/Marineford turns classic to god-like/best all time (in shounen action).
arlong arc was also the pivotal point for me. it's when i realized the potential of the series. every time i see that march to arlong park scene i get goosebumps knowing how great this series has become since then.
Old 2012-01-14, 02:25   Link #131
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
arlong arc was also the pivotal point for me. it's when i realized the potential of the series. every time i see that march to arlong park scene i get goosebumps knowing how great this series has become since then.
Personally I see the potential as early as Zoro's background.

And that really is when I'm sold on this manga, which is pretty early. I still remember that I was fresh in college and went back to Taiwan for summer vacation in 1999. I've heard about this new series OP before but wasn't willing to give a chance due to fact I was trying to move away from JUMP. Running out of title to read, a few of my friends in Taiwan keep pushing me to read and I finally caved. When I read to Zoro's background, that is when I decided, screw my plan, I'll keep reading JUMP titles a bit more.

It really was a very simple story, but at time it was something that you never seen in Shonen, especially JUMP action and it executed so well that it moves you.

The story really doesn't sound much, but with is being JUMP and the style of art, you were expecting that flashback to end with Zoro making promise to Kuina and that was it and Kuina will be a future character as well. Even if you were expecting Kuina to die you didn't think it was a random, freakish accident.

It's at the point I knew that this series would be good. But even then it was more like it'll be Kenshin good or Shaman King good. It was the Baratie/Arlong (I consider them together) that had me blew away and and decided that it is definitely one of the best in it's generation.

Alabasta allows it to be in the same breath as Slam Dunk and DB for me and W7 to Marineford allow it to surpass them.
Old 2012-01-14, 09:29   Link #132
yakumo-chan

Did you guys know that Oda is a perfectionists when it comes to Manga?
That he cant sleep at Night when he thinks that the chapter he made yesterday was not that good
Old 2012-01-14, 12:09   Link #133
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
Did you guys know that Oda is a perfectionists when it comes to Manga?
That he cant sleep at Night when he thinks that the chapter he made yesterday was not that good
well, he does strike me as that sort of person. perhaps a bit obsessive compulsive as well. you would notice that in his writing. he doesn't like to leave loose ends and you rarely see any holes in his plot, if there are any at all.
Old 2012-01-14, 12:51   Link #134
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

The biggest thing that makes One Piece amazing is consistency. One Piece has been around about 14years, and during that period characters, pace of the story, and art. Character wise the One Piece characters for last 14years has been the same funny and likable. Many of the characters went through character development, despite that they still maintain their core characteristic. Luffy after... you know what... became bit more mature but yet still maintains his child like simple personality. Also the fact that Oda does not forget his characters, big or small. Despite the incredible amount of characters there is in One Piece Oda is able to fit them in the plot without feeling forceful. In Nartuo the secondary characters has not been used very well in last few years, and don't even get me start with Bleach.

The biggest thing that I love about One Piece is how much Oda really loves his work. When I hear people say One Piece have bad art I just can't comprehend that. One Piece has amazing art. There are so many characters that are distinguishable from each other and feels unique. And all of them fits into the One Piece world very well, which is amazing as there are so many variety. The other thing that amazes is the background. The amount of stuffy he puts into the background is truly astounding, the war itself just would blew anyone away with the amounts of stuffy that was drawn unlike certain manga I won't mention *cough*Bleach*cough*. It still baffles me that this men is able to draw this in just one week (well he has help from assistant but still).

I could keep going on and on on the greatness that is One Piece. This thing is really a masterpiece, I think by the end of One Piece this will surpass my favorite shounen manga, Slam Dunk.
Old 2012-01-14, 15:02   Link #135
Kallen4life

answering the original q-n

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vslBlZFpyRA
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 16:29   Link #136
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

One of the good things in One Piece is that you will never know what Oda is thinking. You'll never know how certain event will turn up to.

In addition (which it's not new to anyone) One Piece is all in all a one adventure, action, comedy, tragic manga/anime. Sure you'll cry for a while, but then you'll laugh and forget about the past.
Spoiler:
ArabianLuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 23:59   Link #137
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
The biggest thing that I love about One Piece is how much Oda really loves his work. When I hear people say One Piece have bad art I just can't comprehend that. One Piece has amazing art. There are so many characters that are distinguishable from each other and feels unique. And all of them fits into the One Piece world very well, which is amazing as there are so many variety. The other thing that amazes is the background. The amount of stuffy he puts into the background is truly astounding, the war itself just would blew anyone away with the amounts of stuffy that was drawn unlike certain manga I won't mention *cough*Bleach*cough*. It still baffles me that this men is able to draw this in just one week (well he has help from assistant but still).
oops!! i was once one of those people so i'm guilty of thinking that once. but that's probably because i started with the anime and the animation did suck. it took me years to finally realize one piece's true worth. it wasn't until i read the manga that i realized my mistake. the colored spreads are so amazingly artistic and detailed that i was blown away by them, the uniqueness of each character that they don't seem to look like any other character in the series, and not to mention the sbs and the mini-stories, i really love those! you don't get that in other manga.

i see what you mean, kubo may have "beautiful" characters but those blank spaces in the background are just that, blank!

one piece has already surpassed all of my favorite shonen series. to me, it's truly the king of all pirates/shonen.
Old 2012-01-15, 03:07   Link #138
yakumo-chan

The only problem im getting at, is that One Piece is getting more popular this days...
The more popular the series, the more people who will criticize it...

I think One Piece starts to get more popular around 2008...
I became a fan of this series last year, and it started 1997....
I thought this series was stupid when i first found it back in 2003....
Old 2012-01-15, 03:59   Link #139
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
The only problem im getting at, is that One Piece is getting more popular this days...
The more popular the series, the more people who will criticize it...

I think One Piece starts to get more popular around 2008...
I became a fan of this series last year, and it started 1997....
I thought this series was stupid when i first found it back in 2003....
people who know nothing about one piece have been criticizing it for years. i met a lot of those over the years and they all say the same thing, one piece is retarded and the art sucks, often comparing it to naruto, dragon ball or bleach. i doubt it would be any different whether one piece becomes more popular or not. there will always be haters and disbelievers.
Old 2012-01-15, 05:37   Link #140
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

people who say OP sucks are shitheads, who never read the series, judging the manga merely through its character design. OP's depth as a story itself is such brilliance. comparing it to naruto or bleach is like comparing a god to a human.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote