Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-29, 23:28   Link #1181
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
That's so totally first episode... it's completely different later on. She's not expecting to damage Kazuma with Enraiha at all in episode seven, and the "killing intent" is only to have a chance of lasting a bit longer against Kazuma, the way I see it.
She still annoys me, even to episode 7. So it's not JUST first episode jitters.

I don't think I'll ever truely care for her character. First impressions stay in some people's minds whether you like to realize that or not.
Old 2007-05-29, 23:46   Link #1182
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I still don't love her but I don't despise her.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 23:50   Link #1183
Honey_and_Cleaver

I think Kazuma is just after the bastard who killed his previous lover. He doesnt show it infront of Misao, he just let her off, but i think he knows who his true enemy is. For what reason should he return to japan. He might be putting his life on the line to avenge.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 23:51   Link #1184
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Justinstrife - the fact that she still annoys you might have something to do with your own biased opinion on the character and not with an (un)developing character of Anyano. I think the one who dont instantly think that she is the worst - might be able to see progress (though very slow) in her...

But as you said, it is your first impression, and I guess there is nothing to do about it. You would keep on thinking that she is bad no matter how things turn out.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 23:56   Link #1185
Honey_and_Cleaver

Ayano might be the female version of Shin Asuka from GSD. Shes got a whiny voice sometimes and she handles the sword like Destiny.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 04:27   Link #1186
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
I think Kazuma is just after the bastard who killed his previous lover. He doesnt show it infront of Misao, he just let her off, but i think he knows who his true enemy is. For what reason should he return to japan. He might be putting his life on the line to avenge.
yep its clear as day who he is after...but the guy who showed up before misao was beyond his calculations which caused unnecessary casualties ~ he never wanted to hurt misao and this is just repaying his debt to her back when he was bullied while she protected him...kazuma knows how much the word "family" means to misao and i bet hes also feeling the pain inside for causing harm to misao...but what done is done frankly >__<

and ive never hated ayano...and by now im used to her temperament

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 07:32   Link #1187
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
She still annoys me, even to episode 7. So it's not JUST first episode jitters.

I don't think I'll ever truely care for her character. First impressions stay in some people's minds whether you like to realize that or not.
What I'm taking issue with is the "omg my Enraiha will destroy you!" thing, which is plainly no longer the case past episode 3 or so...

Of course first impressions are strongest, but you shouldn't let that get in the way of character growth, or we would never have any interesting fiction. Daenerys didn't start out as a confident, charismatic commander, either 8-D
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 08:21   Link #1188
usagijen

It's not realistic to have a character that would already have the ideal qualities you want right from the start.

Character developments is one of criterias for a good show in my opinion, especially seeing how the character grows on you as the show progresses. First impressions will indeed cause a great impact in how perceive the character, but that shouldn't hinder you from accepting the possibility that character will change for the better, contrary to this 'first impression'.

The 'first impression' will indeed stay in people's minds... but seeing how the character changed from this 'first impression' you had of him / her just makes you all the more see the developments the character has undergone, and hopefully, make you realize that there's more to the character than this 'first impression' (that he / she turned out to be better than you first thought he / she was)
usagijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 08:31   Link #1189
Darknemo2000

Indeed development is one of the points that makes anime good or bad...If anime is bad - the development will be non-existant, or like in Dragonball's case - new techniques learning, but that doesnt count as development really...

First impression tend to e misleading sometimes too. Lets say Asuka from Efvangelion give's not so very nice impression of herself, but as the story progress you start to understand her or even like her, for her siufferings.

In bad anime the first impression is what character in general will be. His growth will be zero or only very few shallow slip up moments like for Kamina in Gurren-Lagann, whom I count as an example of a bad developed character, despite that he has some issues with the past.

Sometimes characters feel alive, yet sometimes they feel like being cut out from cradboard or something, and this depends on characters development.

aayano seems to develop the most for now, and actually she NEEDS it the msot from all characters as well. But I have no doubt taht we will see more of Kazuma's character development (with the help of Ayano) as he still has issues with his past and shwing care for poeple that are important to him (Ren, Ayano).
Old 2007-05-30, 11:32   Link #1190
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Meh. You guys won't understand. You can defend her all you want. If it makes you happy shoot for it. But you're not going to change my mind. She's the only one capable of doing that, and so far she has failed in spades after 7 episodes. There's still 19 to go however.

Lets just say I lost my patience with characters like hers around the time I hit your ages. The last 4-6 years have just sealed it. I didn't like Naru in Love Hina, I didn't like Shinji from Evangelion, and I certainly didn't like Shinn Asuka from Gundam Seed Destiny. I could name off a few other characters with annoying personalities to me, but frankly we're on opposite sides of the argument, so we might as well just drop it and continue watching the show.
Old 2007-05-30, 12:17   Link #1191
PerseiD999

Justin strife just doesn’t like this type of girl, that’s all, nothing particularly against the character. Besides, even with the character development taken into account, I seriously doubt Ayano’s temper will cool off by the end of the show, lol

That’s just a family trait*, anger is the key to synchronise with the Fire Spirit, no anger no fire…If one day (most likely this day will never come) she can truly keep her anger in check she will be able to keep her flame in perfect control.
* Don’t be fooled by her father’s calm demeanour, Soushu’s even worse when he let his anger slip.

Personally I prefer her current operating mode, Kazuma’s obviously having a lot of fun fanning the flames, no need to mention the whole show will become deadly boring (just for me) without a burning Ayano..
PerseiD999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 12:31   Link #1192
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I know some people may not like Ayano that much but....Shin, there's only so much you can insult a character. Seriously I don't think anyone like Shinn so it's not a valid comparison. Anyways if Ayano was the same person she was back in episode 1 then I'd completely agree with the criticism. She's still got a ways to go, but she's moving on and with 19 episodes left I think she'll be good.

I'm willing to cut her some slack because I can see that she will develop into a better character. As long as characters actually develop then I can put up with the initial issues in their personality. Even Kazuma should get through all that's happened in the past and start caring a bit more about more than those close to him.

I'm sure we could go a long stretch just on all this. But probably for the best to focus on the show and now changing people's opinions on characters. That really only works if it's either the best argument ever or some sort of mind control.
Old 2007-05-30, 12:33   Link #1193
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I just got an idea of how it could end. Kazume finally shows concern for the greater population and sacrafices himself to protect innocents. Like jumps in front of something about to wipe out a city. That would be a 180 in his character.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 12:36   Link #1194
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
. Seriously I don't think anyone like Shinn
*emerges from the depths of twisting nether to deliver an off-topic comment*

Wrong! I like Shinn. If anything else, he is one of the most human-like characters in GSD. The one creature i hate from that show is Kira.

*opens a space-time rift and disappears in to the darkness*

As for Ayano - i don't find her annoying... never did in the 1st place. Sure, she might have a short temper, but it is Kazuma who sets it off most of the time. I think she is cute, and i hope she remains this way more or less ... without it, there wouldn't be the spunky Kazuma - Ayano interactions, and without them this show has little going for it
Old 2007-05-30, 12:52   Link #1195
Darknemo2000

Yeah, it all comes down to the ones we like and the ones we dont... And it doesnt matter how wellprepared arguments would be its always a discussion about taste, and that is one pointless discussion.

Though there are some poeple who are more biased than others, following blindly first impressions no matter what.

I would also agree that reducing Ayano's flame would take quite a bit from the show, yet she still needs to grow up. And growing up doesnt really mean becoming cooler or more mellow, she might just relate to others better and be more aware of thethings around her.

P.S. On the side note - I think it takes great maturity to like such characters as Shinji from Evangelion..Usually immature poeple who are rushing with their judgements scream how terrible and wimpy he is, and fail to notice that behind their narcisstic self-image (that would be opposite to Shinji) they are Shinji's for the bigger time they spend in social interaction.

Yeah, Shinji was bit extreme, but still the siilarities between his actions and our ordinary social life is quite striking. I think it needs quite a bit of maturity to be able admit it and some introspection to notice and to connect to that, in many ways....
Old 2007-05-30, 14:03   Link #1196
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

KnS ep08 thread on 2chan:
Spoiler for 2chan thread link:

Do NOT spread the 2chan link.
If you are to quote my post, then please ERASE THE URLS.

If you want to (re)post screenshots from 2chan, then reload them on Imageshack and copy the new link. Do NOT direct-link. 2chan pics last a few hours only and are eventually erased from the servers...and the broken url consequently leads to pages full of questionable advertisements.

I'll erase the url in a few hours (at least until the first raw pops up you-know-where) so save it somewhere while you still can.

EDIT: link removed

Last edited by Renegade334; 2007-05-31 at 00:45. Reason: Link removal.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 14:27   Link #1197
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Meh. You guys won't understand. You can defend her all you want. If it makes you happy shoot for it. But you're not going to change my mind. She's the only one capable of doing that, and so far she has failed in spades after 7 episodes. There's still 19 to go however.

Lets just say I lost my patience with characters like hers around the time I hit your ages. The last 4-6 years have just sealed it. I didn't like Naru in Love Hina, I didn't like Shinji from Evangelion, and I certainly didn't like Shinn Asuka from Gundam Seed Destiny. I could name off a few other characters with annoying personalities to me, but frankly we're on opposite sides of the argument, so we might as well just drop it and continue watching the show.
Haha, c'mon man, the "moral high ground due to age difference" argument is so pre-school... Anyway, we're not even defending her, but character growth in general (yes, I know this is something that rarely happens in anime, but that's not the point) and I didn't really care to change your mind about it either, so I wonder if you actually read the text instead of pulling the "you just won't understand... *sniff*" line Stating your opinion is fine, but don't go looking down on others too much - it won't make you look mature, which means people will stop taking you seriously. That's not something you're trying to achieve, right?

As for Naru, Shinn, and Shinji, those are prime examples of zero character growth. Well, in Shinji's case, there might even be negative character growth -_-

Anyway, looks like
Spoiler for ep 8:

Last edited by lightbringer; 2007-05-30 at 14:47.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 14:54   Link #1198
LKK

Spoiler for episode 8 screencaps:

Thank you for sharing the screencaps, Renegade334!

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 15:03   Link #1199
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I would also agree that reducing Ayano's flame would take quite a bit from the show, yet she still needs to grow up. And growing up doesnt really mean becoming cooler or more mellow, she might just relate to others better and be more aware of thethings around her.
oh she will grow up...but that doesnt mean that her flame is reduced...it just means that it will take more that some cheap words to set her off again

ep 8 screen caps ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 15:15   Link #1200
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:
Gah...I just had flashes from La Corda after clicking that XD The screens look interesting needless to say
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen