Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-20, 21:07   Link #101
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Once again, we are only at SPECULATION.
The series is NOT announced as cancelled whatsoever.
We don't know if the other TV stations will cancel episode 12 as well or not.

in absolutely no way we know if the rest of the series is affected or not.
For the moment, only episode 12 on TOUKAI TV is affected, that's it, nothing more, nothing less

again, this issue has NOTHING with censorship whatsoever.
so please, don't go too paranoid. we have like 6 days in case of any confirmation.
Old 2007-09-20, 21:36   Link #102
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm sure people are just really nervous. After all it's just reflecting how much people like this series and would be completely blown away if something happened at this point in it. All we can do is take a deep breath and wait and see.
Old 2007-09-20, 22:02   Link #103
MarthX

The wait is the most painful part.

We can discuss this all night and scourer the web for hope but until more information is made available, we won't know what will happen. I was almost positive that Tokai TV would show it since there were no announcements. Then about 5 hours before air time, they announced a cooking show would replace it.

I would rather know the answer right away instead of having my hope crushed at the last minute.
Old 2007-09-20, 22:06   Link #104
BakaOnna

It's, as some else stated earlier I think, like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I hate this feeling that it just might be cancelled if the girl actually confessed that she'd been influenced by Higurashi or something in her delusional state.
Old 2007-09-20, 22:09   Link #105
Mappy
Eat This!

I know this might have been stated somewhere else, but which station/network is the next in line to air the said episode?
Old 2007-09-20, 22:12   Link #106
MarthX

KBS Kyoto. Airs in less than 24 hours

http://www.kbs-kyoto.co.jp/now_on_air/tv.htm?p=0
Old 2007-09-20, 22:54   Link #107
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

*#$%@&*!

That's going to throw everything coming after off as well

This updated ANN newsbrief gives us a slight bit of hope though:

http://http://www.animenewsnetwork.c...-circumstances

And wait for the DVD??? By the time it comes out it'll probably be time for summer.
Grr... *goes off to sulk and stew*
Old 2007-09-20, 22:55   Link #108
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

I'm trying to remember the last time a violent american show was replaced by a mild-mannered cooking show due to violence here in the states.... I vaguely recall something around 9/11... but then again almost all the stations were doing 24/hour news instead of anything realisitc ... hmm...

I dunno... in some ways I understand the decision to postpone (hopefully not cancel) a week... but in others I cant...

But life goes on.... I will be really sickly on the edge of my seat waiting for the next episode.... but tahts life.

All I can say is.... I'll be sure to put 'Nice Food' in my votes for Higu-gals upcomming.
Old 2007-09-20, 23:17   Link #109
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by todkapuz View Post
I'm trying to remember the last time a violent american show was replaced by a mild-mannered cooking show due to violence here in the states.... I vaguely recall something around 9/11... but then again almost all the stations were doing 24/hour news instead of anything realisitc ... hmm...
Cooking show aside, something very similar happened in the United States. Two episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer were delayed after Columbine. One didn't air until the following season. The second, the season finale, was delayed two months: from May to July. We're talking Buffy here, so "level of realism" isn't that much of an issue.

I'm not saying you've done the same thing, but I've seen a couple of threads on /a/ where people (who I suspect are from the U.S.) are getting on their high horse and pointing fingers at Japan. It's just the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 2007-09-20, 23:31   Link #110
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Cooking show aside, something very similar happened in the United States. Two episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer were delayed after Columbine. One didn't air until the following season. The second, the season finale, was delayed two months: from May to July. We're talking Buffy here, so "level of realism" isn't that much of an issue.

I'm not saying you've done the same thing, but I've seen a couple of threads on /a/ where people (who I suspect are from the U.S.) are getting on their high horse and pointing fingers at Japan. It's just the pot calling the kettle black.
*shrugs* these things happen... not much we can do about it... be it in Japan, America, England, Germany, ... where-ever...

At least we can have humor in it. Besides we're lucky to get to see the episodes so soon after production oever here anyhow.
Old 2007-09-20, 23:38   Link #111
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post

Higurashi is on the 2:30 slot.

There is hope!! GAR K1 has appeared!!
Old 2007-09-20, 23:55   Link #112
Mappy
Eat This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post

Good, that's roughly 2am here. *fingers crossed there is no rude announcement about cooking shows in the meantime*
Old 2007-09-21, 00:02   Link #113
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
*shrugs* these things happen... not much we can do about it... be it in Japan, America, England, Germany, ... where-ever...

At least we can have humor in it. Besides we're lucky to get to see the episodes so soon after production oever here anyhow.
Something funny did happen with the delayed Buffy finale. Apparently, the decision to pull the episode was made just a couple of hours prior to airtime. This didn't sit well with Buffy's Executive Producer, Joss Whedon. The episode did air in Canada, however, and it was capped and uploaded to USENET. Whedon's reaction was, "bootleg it!!!" Imagine that. An American producer urging fans to bootleg his show.

Incidentally, the first episode was pulled by the network because they felt people would think airing it would be callous and insensitive. The season finale was pulled because of hysterical media pressure. Several news organizations picked up a plot element which had high school students arming themselves (to fight vampires). I suspect the stations in Japan have concerns about both: looking callous and getting bashed by a bottom-feeding press.
Old 2007-09-21, 01:09   Link #114
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Well, as for 9/11, Cartoon Network stopped showing their broadcast of the original Gundam series (they later finished it in a marathon, but I didn't find out about that until too late), and they dropped one of the Cowboy Bebop episodes.

Overall though, this reminds me of the hysteria over the Pokemon "epilepsy" incident, which eventually created a media stir abroad and was misreported on frequently, one particularly odious American journalist claiming it the result of anime being "violent Japanese cartoons" or some such. That in turn mobilized a large outcry from upset US anime fans which got a lot of pro-anime media coverage in turn (and ironically helped spur publicity for the upcoming US release of the Pokemon anime...@_@).

It also has hints of the anti-otaku paranoia that resulted from both the Tsutomu Miyazaki incident as well as Aum Shinrikyu's gassing incident. I hope this doesn't get out of hand.
Old 2007-09-21, 01:37   Link #115
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Now that I've calmed down a bit (by rewatching Kanon ) I can think more clearly. (BTW, love your avatar, Ayu-Ayu )

I'm sure that the reason for them pulling it was regarding sensitivity issues, which really does make sense. Sensitivity isn't something we're well-known for here in the States (nor do we cultivate it sad to say), thus the intense uproar. I've been reading other Forums and already it's a sh!tstorm.

I'm still very disappointed as I'm over-the-top about this series, but it will air eventually. I just don't want a huge "hole" if they cut both 12 & 13... it'll make the process of putting things together somewhat broken.

Anyway, there are bigger troubles in the world. *tries to believe that*

On one hand, I'm saddened by what occurred over there wrt the crime, but on the other, I've seen WAY too many cases of overreaction and especially playing the lame blame game by the hystericals. Games, graphic novels, music, anime... they blame whoever they can find without blaming themselves for not raising their children properly in the first place, instead sitting them in front of the equally violent television and movie videos. Somehow those are okay...

Anything to abdicate responsibility...
Old 2007-09-21, 02:10   Link #116
Koopen

I wonder how Ryukishi07 must be feeling right now?....
Old 2007-09-21, 02:22   Link #117
Green²
It's bacon!

People, they replaced it with a cooking show. You know,.. slicing and dicing. If the network wanted to get peoples minds off of axes and hacking crap, they wouldn't have replaced Higurashi with early morning tentacle monster cook up ripping with chainsaws but not over an open fire. Remember people, safety first when working with gasoline! ^_^
Old 2007-09-21, 03:39   Link #118
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Well, as for 9/11, Cartoon Network stopped showing their broadcast of the original Gundam series (they later finished it in a marathon, but I didn't find out about that until too late), and they dropped one of the Cowboy Bebop episodes.
9/11 caused the japanese to delay animes and change PS2 game contents... that's a worldwide effect...

I'm more sad about the Columbine incident forced Freddy vs. Jason to delay and change into a stupider plot than the original plan

Last edited by hipeach; 2007-09-21 at 03:53.
Old 2007-09-21, 04:04   Link #119
z3phyr.mp3
:love: Tsukasa :love:
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to z3phyr.mp3
i wrote a post of the incident here...

most of it of the summary of the events were what i found from various blogs...
it also contains my thoughts on the matter...
Old 2007-09-21, 04:29   Link #120
LustigerAstronaut

KBS updated their schedule and now it seems that Higurashi is replaced with something like "Rhythm - Breath of the City Edingburgh" (Will it be better than the other show with the boat).
I seems that we have to forget this week and wait for the grass to grow about this whole thing.

Last edited by LustigerAstronaut; 2007-09-21 at 05:15.
Closed Thread