AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-29, 09:01   Link #1
K_R
also known as K!

Why Seichi doesn't translate 'hanbaagu' as 'hamburger'...

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth
Time/situation: 19:26

Seichi-Fansubs: "When we get home, I'll make you hanbaagu with all my love!"

Anime-Empire: "I'll make you my special love-filled hamburger after we go back!"

Comments: Laziness? why put down "hanbaagu" in the subtitles? I knew she probably meant hamburger, but many would probably be confused.
I finally got round to finding decent pictures of hanbaagu (was for a report on changing food habits in Japan), so, here are some pictures of said food:

Now that you've seen what hanbaagu look like and how it is served, I'm sure you'll agree that translating 'hanbaagu' as 'hamburger' is somewhat misleading...

(I sure don't evisage hamburgers looking like that...)
Old 2004-05-29, 12:51   Link #2
Secca
nya`
*Artist

It's an asian thingy... yum. ^^

Damn those pictures make me hungry..
Old 2004-05-29, 13:42   Link #3
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

well, those sure look like burgers to me

edit: so i don't think it's misleading at all

Last edited by Kyoji; 2004-05-29 at 13:55.
Old 2004-05-29, 15:23   Link #4
Secca
nya`
*Artist

In japanese language actually there are hanbagu and hanbaga.

- Hanbagu is patty of ground beef served on a plate with other side dishes. The pictures up there.

- Hanbaga is the regular hamburger with buns. McDonals hamburger.

So it's quite different when someone say she want to cook a hanbagu for you or a hanbaga.
Old 2004-05-29, 19:44   Link #5
Green²
It's bacon!

Where I'm from, we call it meatloaf.
Old 2004-05-29, 21:52   Link #6
Secca
nya`
*Artist

It's not quite the same as meatloaf either.

It's a very cultural thingy. In comparison like they call it anime in japan, while they call it cartoon in america. We know basically it's the same animation medium entertainment. But it's quite different when someone said he want to watch anime or watch cartoon. ^^

but I would say meatloaf would be a closer translation than hamburger. ^^

Last edited by Secca; 2004-05-29 at 22:17.
Old 2004-05-29, 22:19   Link #7
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

it looks like the way my family eays burgers when we are lacking in the bun department
btw, "hanbaagu" is actually the original German way of making burgers, before it was exported to the states and put on a bun
thus why the names are so similar (Japan has almost as many German influences as it has American, look for the thread "German in Anime" in the general anime forum)
Old 2004-05-29, 22:24   Link #8
TronDD
Team the box!

Would it be like Salisbury steak?
Old 2004-05-29, 22:47   Link #9
alnorth

I stand corrected Looks like a random cultural oddity that just happens to sound and look like a hamburger.
Old 2004-05-29, 22:49   Link #10
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Would it be like Salisbury steak?
could be, a better way of putting it would be "German Hamburger"
"Deutschebagaa"...hmmmmmm
Old 2004-05-30, 00:05   Link #11
nephilim
Loves Kaori

hmm... foood.... yum

i think during a date, it's more romantic to have hanbaagu instead of hanburgers lol

i don't know whether it's an asian food or just a japanese one... have yet to see it in my country tho. Then again, we ate hamburgers a lot
Old 2004-05-30, 00:11   Link #12
alnorth

I dont even remember what a Hamburger looks like anymore Been on a strict 1600 calorie diet (not that idiotic Atkins fad) since January, lost 35 lb, I've had maybe 2 burgers at the most, and no sweets to speak of. (Lots of lean turkey and chicken meat)

Its worth it though! Down to 160 and my old jeans fit again!
Old 2004-05-30, 00:22   Link #13
nephilim
Loves Kaori

oh well.. i rather be big than be small. i'm 165cm and 46kg. i want to be bigger
Old 2004-05-30, 02:32   Link #14
K_R
also known as K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.serve.com/shea/germusa/hambrger.htm
Many people think that hamburger originally was a burger with ham in it or on it. Hamburger is derived from the German city of Hamburg. The original name of the fried meat patty was hamburger steak, meaning a steak the way they ate it in Hamburg (the Germans call it "deutsches Beefsteak"). The word burger which came from hamburger, led to cheese- burger, veggieburger, Burger King, etc. Hamburger steak (without the bun) is said to have been sold by a German street vendor in New York in the 1870s - possibly on Coney Island. Another source states that the hamburger was introduced by a native of Hamburg at the St. Louis World's Fair.
Maybe I'll change the translation to 'hamburger steak' (but I like 'hanbaagu', gives it that certain Japaneseness).
--
nephilim: that's almost unhealthy.
Old 2004-05-30, 03:31   Link #15
Anthias

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephilim
oh well.. i rather be big than be small. i'm 165cm and 46kg. i want to be bigger
I hear that.... (I put on 15 kilos (33 pounds) this year - now I weigh 68 kilos (150 pounds) and i'm grickloads healthier.... 6 foot and 68k. I feel like a 30 year old computer! )

Meanwhile, that hambaagu looks great! I think I'll see If I can find a recipe and cook some.... (it looks better than any friipy macdonalds!)
Old 2004-05-30, 04:15   Link #16
nephilim
Loves Kaori

ya i just merely make it into the "acceptable weight" range

it's prolly coz of my lifestyle... wake up -> computer -> sleep. everyday.
nv really do any exercise/workout =/
Old 2004-05-30, 10:13   Link #17
Kyuven

i dunno what it converts to in the metric system, but i'm 6' 2" and weigh around 200 lbs
anyway, like i said, even though the japanese gave it a unique name, it's still originally German food, not asian (though the style in which it is cooked in japan would definitely be considered asian, and an american translator, if MnH is ever licensed, would probably call it "hamburger steak"
Old 2004-06-01, 17:37   Link #18
abubo

Thumbs up Hmmm

As valid viewer of "Dotch no Cooking Show", the best game/cooking show to come out of Japan (forget Iron Chef!), I often see Hanbaagu featured as one of the two dishes the 7 guests gets to vote on which one they'd want to eat.

The origin of hanbaagu dates back to early meiji era, where Japan was just opening up to the West. Some of you may know, there was an imperial ban on eating land animals (cows, pigs, sheeps) for over a thousand years in Japan before Meiji Restoration, so there was no real tradition of consuming beef or pork in Japan (in fact, early American diplomats has to ask around for a cattle so they can slaughter it for steak). When Japan opened up for trade, one of the items Americans tried to export to Japan was of course, Beef. But the Japanese ate no beef, so what do they make with it? To help drive demand, some business men help invent western meat dishes that fits the Japanese pallet. One of these invented dishes was the hanbaagu dish you saw pictured (along with numerous other dishes, such as the Tonkatsu to sell pork, the Crockette to sell potatoes, and Gomu-Rice to sell ketchup). I forgot which company invented hanbaagu but it became a very popular simple-to-prepare meals for the housewife; almost all Japanese has memories of eating hanbaagu at home when they're a kid; it's one of the defining home-cooked meals and a must for the love-wives to cook for the man they love.

And the way to prepare hanbaagu is a little different than cooking a norml burger. If you've made a normal hamburger you know that a burger is just basic ground beef held together by egg or corn starch. A hanbaagu has lot more ingredients, such as diced onion, carrot puree, beans, and seasoning in the patty, and the sauce is usually soy-sauce-based. I know it sounds kinda like a meat-load but it doesn't taste like it at all. There's almost never a bun involved. It's is VERY, VERY good. Very juicy and tender, yet full of flavors.

Many people don't know this this but Japan has some great Japanese-western dishes. Whenver I can, I'll order stuff like Gomu-Rice or Mintaiko (kind of pickeled fish egg) Spagetti instead of traditional Japanese garbs. New things are constantly invented daily. A lot of people wanted to visit Japan for things like anime, but the things I wanted the most was just to eat the new and wonderful foods they come up with (that and an on-zen trip ).

For those who can read Japanese, here's a simple hanbaagu receipe:

http://www.e-recipe.org/features/okazu/o11.html
Old 2004-06-01, 18:51   Link #19
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

On a side note, many Japanese people who visited America says that "everything tastes the same," "the stuffs are very 大味 (ooaji = blant?)," "they put way too much food on one dish," "I don't think Americans really care about Calories."

Anyone care to clarify?

On the other hand, an American that visits Japan and eats our stuff usually says "hmm...it tastes like chicken."

Is it me or are Americans' palate numb?
Old 2004-06-02, 08:00   Link #20
K_R
also known as K!

As I mentioned before, I did some research on this topic - 日本とオーストラリアの食習慣の変化
(And since I'm lazy I'll just paste some interesting bits from the report)
インタビューしたXさんは、「日本食は量より質で野菜と魚と米が中心で健康的、洋食は質より量で肉とじゃが いもが中心で太り易い」と考えている。
「『洋食』と聞いて/読んで最初に何を思い付くか」と聞いたら日本人の一番の応答は「ハンバーグ」で、二番は「油っ 濃い」。

What else... most Japanese respondants replied that Western food had too many flavours.

Last edited by K_R; 2004-06-02 at 08:13.
Closed Thread