Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-12, 23:38   Link #961
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
I think it's okay to talk about this, as vol 1 is finished.
Spoiler for From the novel:
Thanks for the interesting information. It would be interesting to see Ishi no Shiraboshi(Stone of White Star) appear later on if it does. If Suna no Akaboshi(Sand of Red Star) is the planet in the OP scene with Chiaki then that would probably the Tau Ceti analogue to Mars.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 00:05   Link #962
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I liked the length spent. I was getting tired of all the prep for practice spent on it thus far. Its not Nanoha Strikers bad thankfully, but I'm rather allergic to any more dragging. I'm eager to get into the universe, their relevance to the big picture rather than just slice of life.
It took 5-6 episodes. Several years ago, that was the normal trend, until all these 12-episode length series started popping up everywhere.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 00:11   Link #963
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I just couldn't help but laugh at Marika's introduction while on her mock pirating. Especially with that awkward evil laugh The fact that the entire thing was more of a theatrics than a real take-over was a bit disappointing, however. Still, I'm looking forward to authentic pirating by Marika and Bentenmaru in the future episodes .
Old 2012-02-13, 00:32   Link #964
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The awkward evil laugh followed by a coughing fit was funny. At least she got into it as they went along. The question will be, will she be able to do the same when it is real? Will she be able to kill if needed, becaues I image a pirate's life will come to that eventually. Be it blowing up a space ship or shooting an enemy soldier or definate hostile crew member on a ship they are boarding.

I liked this one as it helped add something to the show...comedy (real comedy since it was funny to watch without them really telling jokes or using pysical comedy...it was just funny...almost all of it from Marika's reactions to things). And it likely the transition between the serious first arc and what is to come next.

I would have liked to get introduced to Marika's crew though. They just kind of are there and have lines, but we know nothing about them yet...and I doubt Marika does either (but she knows more than us, as she's learning names and being taugh by each of them).
Old 2012-02-13, 00:35   Link #965
Dark Wing

For those still having trouble with the slower pace look forward to the next few episodes.

7. End of the tranquil days
8. The princess and the pirate
9. Magnificent voyage
Old 2012-02-13, 01:04   Link #966
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Oh, good news indeed.
Old 2012-02-13, 01:50   Link #967
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I did not assume this universe had aliens. I was pointing out the that Star Wars Galactic Empire fuctioned fine...for humans. If we shift that to this show's universe, one would expect that unless a culture is radically different in some way, there would not be the types of problems typicall associated with the Star Wars Galactic Empire.

Though the arts and crafts does have the Galactic Empire using traditional UFO flying saucers like you would see in 1950s sci-fi.

The Star War-ish place I was thinking of the Marika's planet was Naboo. Especially around the final capitol looking area with the Italian domes and columns...plus that waterfall it all sits over. But also some of the comics have worlds like this one with high spires and water everywhere (or just the high spires and no water, but with large platforms coming off the buildings for air or space traffic.)

The liners gave were they were passing near, but it slips my mind at the moment as the focus was on Kane and the ladies...plus the staff putting stuff away in the background as they got ready for Marika's first "raid".
Yea I think the arts and crafts was just there to show that well they weren't heard of beforehand. So we can assume there was seeding done by this empire and overtime cultures developed gov'ts formed civilization happened. And they are incorporating the people who made it past type 0 into a type 1 civilization and higher. Though the country this takes place in is a type 2 civilization, but since now there is a galactic empire that makes them connected to a type 3 civilization...
Star Wars galaxy's was transitioning from type 2 to type 3. This anime has a complete type 3 civilization (achieved peace within the galaxy). Yes there are bandits and stuff but well that's civilization. Someone ends up on the bottom and engage in dishonest activities. Anyway I am interesting in what you are saying because well not many people point things like out this and this kind of thing spurs very interesting conversations, and this is something I rarely get outside of my graduate school program, and when I'm overseas. Though I do need to change my location. I don't live in Japan anymore.. After the tsunami I moved to Istanbul, now back in America. Don't wanna stray too off-topic, but I think for now let's continue to speculate, and exchange ideas like this because I think the writer's of this show is going to surprise us!!! I enjoy surprises in any show I watch
:cheers:
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 01:56   Link #968
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actually, do we know how far this Galactic Empire goes? And do we know if they actually have peace within the galaxy? All we know about it a small piece of it...and the passagers said something about a border.

The one for Legend of the Galactic Heroes only seems to be part of two Spiral arms if the maps and that gap between the two major factions was any indication of things. There are no aliens (that they have encountered, it always seems silly to me to assume there are no aliens when you have literally billions upon billion of planets out there according to NASA's calculations based on just seeing evidence of planet after planet around other stars) but the galaxy would seem vast still even if the Kaiser's rule is just.

I know about how for the Star War Galactic Empire goes because we have maps and things....also a lot (a whole lot) of background material of galactic civilization in that galaxy (which it not always consistant...especially in travel times and advancement of technology over the course of thousands of years). We know their major civilization started 25,000 years or so before the movie events (or the Galactic Empire even existing as we saw it). We've seen via various media that galactic technology is more or less stagnet in Star Wars....at least on a conceptual level.

The novel readers have an edge on us in that they will have more detail on the goings on of this universes Galactic Empire and other things both political and technological. Also social, which might be amusing.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-13 at 02:07.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 02:01   Link #969
molitar

Good concept but I do not rate the animation very highly.. I CAN NOT STAND when the clothing never flutters or moves.. always down to make sure no fan service.. but this makes it totally 100% unbelievable floating in zero gravity and girls all zooming around in skirts with not a single pantsu shot! I hate that.. If you do not want fan service in the show make it at least believable! Put them in sweatpants or something to that affect! I hate shows that throw all reality out the window so that physics deny reality completely unless the anime is designed that way with powers that bend reality but this is NOT that type of show! So animation I give a low score too! It could be done way better.. take a good show and throw horrible physic dynamics to it and ruin the animation.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 02:01   Link #970
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Actually, do we know how far this Galactic Empire goes? And do we know if they actually have peace within the galaxy? All we know about it a small piece of it...and the passagers said something about a border.
What kind of empire is the Galactic Empire that doesn't control the whole galaxy?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 02:08   Link #971
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One that likes to sound important.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:15   Link #972
justpassingby

Planet under/joining the Galactic Empire: 1 Billion
Number of Government: Over 100 millions

some of them are older than the Empire. More than this is spoilerific .
and
Spoiler:

Posting from workplace btw :P
Old 2012-02-13, 02:16   Link #973
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that is useful.

1,000,000,000 or so planets with several hundred million goverments is a lot to police.

"Overwhelming firepower" will be something to see.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:18   Link #974
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

OK I FINALLY had a chance to see this tonight and can now join the discussion.

Some things I thought were pretty funny included the scene at the beginning were Marika states "I have all summer to have fun!" when suddenly the Men in Black appear to wisk Marika away to fill out a mountain of paperwork. One of them even politely hands Marika's blow up water toys to Mami. Also the evil laugh which ended in a coughing fit was hilarious.

Some interesting homages were Marika's Kobayashi Maru test. Also, the helm was actually a ships helm much like Captain Harlock's Arcadia. An interesting thing about the model building scene, to those who might be wondering why she is being made to do it as part of her training is that model building actually teaches problem solving skills. Also, as Ithekro stated a few posts ago, this is probably another homage to Captain Harlock.

Ah, my Dark Queen Chiaki with your mean comments regarding Marika. You, my dear, are in complete denial. Deep down, you care very much for Marika and it would be best for you to come to terms with that fact. The sooner, the better.

Spoiler for Chiaki-chan:

Endless "Yes, my Queen" Soul
Old 2012-02-13, 02:24   Link #975
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Isn't it weird when your Captain has a sticker on her back that says "Trainee"?

But with two trainees, the Captain doesn't feel alone anymore...plus one assumes Chiaki is also in line to be captain of her father's ship someday. So this training is good for her too (plus form her enthusiasm I'm guessing her father is very protective of her, and she doesn't get to do as much back "home").

Though they both wear their school clothes while training? Well Chiaki is in her school uniform...Marika is in her Yacht club uniform.

(Least they have artificial gravity on these ships...don't have to worry about physics animation as much with the skirts and zero-g activities like on the yacht.)
Old 2012-02-13, 05:08   Link #976
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I'm still confuse on how legal space pirates earn money by raiding ships during peace time but a poster from Random Curiosity thinks this how it works.

Spoiler for long post:
Old 2012-02-13, 05:53   Link #977
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

We really need those novel translations. With the level of starship operation details, I'd expect it to be a gold mine for such things.

Unless the author is all about spoofing the current sorry state of Japan.
Old 2012-02-13, 08:15   Link #978
justpassingby

Those are correct actually.
Some details regarding the differences between ep 06 and vol 1

Spoiler for Comparison between vol 01 and ep 06:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
We really need those novel translations. With the level of starship operation details, I'd expect it to be a gold mine for such things.

Unless the author is all about spoofing the current sorry state of Japan.
Go bug English publisher if you want official one. And didn't Doraneko posted on how much actually an author get paid due to his/her work. I don't know if that applied to Asahi writers, as their books are priced higher than other LNs while selling much lesser.
You know the feelings you get when you make it to the society and know how hard it is to make money (maybe some of us are not lucky). So yeah, cut the old guy (Sasamoto), and any other authors, if you can, some slack will you :P

Besides, Teh Ping is supposed to be working on Gundam Unicorn, right? It's like the 2nd coming of -insert whatever you believe is the best here-. Oh boy can't wait for translator drama between BT and Zeonic if that actually hapens

Also, as a fan of Sasamoto, I don't intend of hiding his weakness. Weakness like artificial gravity like I posted here in the ending of Urayama no Uchuusen. During the Odette II training, Sasamoto only refers to those who when they are speaking as "First year students, "2nd year students" etc, except for Marika, Chiaki, Jenny and Rin. Most of the Yacht Club members were given names in later volumes, which most of them if not all didn't make it to the anime .
Speaking about Gundam, Sasamoto didn't consider Gundam AGE as Gundam, while being a pro-Tomino. Welp, when his boss (Asahi Shimbun) also criticized the same show, it's not shocking at all. I'm surprised 4chan didn't make a fuss of it, considering it was posted at 2ch and Yaraon .
Lastly, like I repeatedly mention, "Talking, Talking, Talking". Though those are going to be cut in the anime I believe.
You sure you still want to read his books?

And someone teach me how to create a table in forum post. I hope I can post something in the novel thread tomorrow.

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-02-14 at 08:49. Reason: it was a pillar not a wall :P
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 08:26   Link #979
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
What kind of empire is the Galactic Empire that doesn't control the whole galaxy?
Persia barely controlled the area from Anatolia to India, just from West to East, and yet its emperors claimed to rule the entire world.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 08:43   Link #980
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

@torisugida no kamen raidaa

That was very much more useful than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Lastly, like I repeatedly mention, "Talking, Talking, Talking". Though those are going to be cut in the anime I believe.
You sure you still want to read his books?
And coincidentally, when I don't have my characters dodging phaser blasts, they're infodumping the reader by talking, talking, talking!

So yes, I will be reading.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri