AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 22 13.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 8.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 11.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 39 23.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 9.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 8.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 15 8.98%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 2.99%
1 out of 10 : Painful 20 11.98%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-09, 16:51   Link #61
Taynis
Wonderland's hitman

Send a message via MSN to Taynis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workworkwork View Post
The problem with what you're saying is that you're judging the merits of the episode separately from its merits as an adaptation.

There's a reason it's called Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, and that's why you should never judge it on its own, as it would not exist otherwise.
Man, people can judge wherever they want
Old 2009-12-09, 16:51   Link #62
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
I don't think that face of Gaap is supposed to be a troll one.

It's a mischievous cat smile.
Except, yknow, "Thanks for the tips on acting, Beato!" *Hi-Five*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynis View Post
Man, people can judge wherever they want
Indeed they can. That doesn't change the fact they're making an incomplete judgement, however.
Old 2009-12-09, 16:52   Link #63
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegitto-kun View Post
Untill they release the horror adaption of episode 5-6 and so on
So all they'd have to do is release the not-horror adaptation of episode 5-6 and so on instead.
Old 2009-12-09, 16:54   Link #64
immblueversion

Quote:
Indeed they can. That doesn't change the fact they're making an incomplete judgement, however.
Goes both ways.
Old 2009-12-09, 16:56   Link #65
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Goes both ways.
Huh?
Old 2009-12-09, 16:58   Link #66
~Ayane~

Quote:
Huh?
means it can be great anime but you will never be able to see it because you are blinded by VN i guess
Old 2009-12-09, 17:04   Link #67
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ayane~ View Post
means it can be great anime but you will never be able to see it because you are blinded by VN i guess
Uhh, no. It's not a stand-alone anime, it's an adaptation of a SN series authored by Ryukishi07.

It seriously boggles me how people can try and justify it as a stand-alone product, when it would not have existed to begin with if not for being an adaptation.

Find me an alternate universe where there was no SN(hell, no Manga either) and just the anime, then we'll talk.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:15   Link #68
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Uhh, no. It's not a stand-alone anime, it's an adaptation of a SN series authored by Ryukishi07.

It seriously boggles me how people can try and justify it as a stand-alone product, when it would not have existed to begin with if not for being an adaptation.

Find me an alternate universe where there was no SN(hell, no Manga either) and just the anime, then we'll talk.
Yes but you're opinion is way to one-sided because you glorify this one VN over the anime.
If you would take your own idea literally you wouldn't be able to judge anything of today's popular culture for it's own merrit, but just on it's worth as an adaption.
Even Umineko as a VN adapts certain things and concepts and they are downright wrong and bended towards the author's liking...that's something called freedom you can enjoy while creating something.

If somebody chooses to NOT read the VN and judge the anime as a stand alone project he is very well allowed to do so.

Hell without Shakespeare there would be no West Side Story, without 17th century folklorists there would be no Star Wars, without Edgar Allan Poe there would be no Umineko no naku koro ni....adaptions, roots, inspirations nice and all, but everything is also a product on it's own.

And because that came up again.
Compared to Umineko I(!!) found the first season of Higurashi DREADFUL...but still I thought it was good that Kai came out.

Free opinion is good, but people should stop claiming their own opinion to be waterproof.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:19   Link #69
Taynis
Wonderland's hitman

Send a message via MSN to Taynis
For various people it IS a stand-alone product, since some never have read the SN.
I can understand why you are so nervous, when the Silent Hill movie came out, I died inside. Is the worst adaptation ever, BUT, people who doesn't know about the history of the game can like. And I'm not better than they when it comes to judge the film :/
Old 2009-12-09, 17:20   Link #70
Kite22
Wielder of the Bracelet

Send a message via AIM to Kite22
Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
So all they'd have to do is release the not-horror adaptation of episode 5-6 and so on instead.
That won't be happening though, if the DVD sales continue the current trend of selling extremely poorly (the 2nd volume didn't even go over 600 I've heard) their won't be an Umineko Chiru anime adaptation. It would be up to some other company to come in and make a 2nd season, but that would be pointless without first remaking the first season.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:20   Link #71
~Ayane~

Quote:

huh? so what its adaptation ? there are people that doesnt care from what it originated, you cant force them to play vs and compare. so yeah, this anime can be awesome for a lot of people, thats a fact
i see no reasons for not letting people judge an anime as stand alone even if its adaptation, and you cant claim your oppinion superior just because you know the VN

Quote:
That won't be happening though, if the DVD sales continue the current trend of selling extremely poorly (the 2nd volume didn't even go over 600 I've heard)
because first arc is boring, theres no Beato and Note 2 has George on the cover...who would buy it?
btw, its funny how character cds etc. sales so well in comparison
Old 2009-12-09, 17:21   Link #72
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite22 View Post
That won't be happening though, if the DVD sales continue the current trend of selling extremely poorly (the 2nd volume didn't even go over 600 I've heard) their won't be an Umineko Chiru anime adaptation. It would be up to some other company to come in and make a 2nd season, but that would be pointless without first remaking the first season.
The 2nd volume wasn't released yet right? Isn't it only coming out on the 23rd.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:25   Link #73
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Yes but you're opinion is way to one-sided because you glorify this one VN over the anime.
If you would take your own idea literally you wouldn't be able to judge anything of today's popular culture for it's own merrit, but just on it's worth as an adaption.
Even Umineko as a VN adapts certain things and concepts and they are downright wrong and bended towards the author's liking...that's something called freedom you can enjoy while creating something.

If somebody chooses to NOT read the VN and judge the anime as a stand alone project he is very well allowed to do so.

Hell without Shakespeare there would be no West Side Story, without 17th century folklorists there would be no Star Wars, without Edgar Allan Poe there would be no Umineko no naku koro ni....adaptions, roots, inspirations nice and all, but everything is also a product on it's own.

And because that came up again.
Compared to Umineko I(!!) found the first season of Higurashi DREADFUL...but still I thought it was good that Kai came out.

Free opinion is good, but people should stop claiming their own opinion to be waterproof.
First off, none of the things you posted are adaptions. Those are inspirations. Adaption is when you take one story from one medium and directly, with no or minimal changes, put it in another.

Whether the VN is better or not does not matter in the slightest- if it was worse, it should still be said "this is a better adaption". Because that's what it is and always will be- an adaption.

If someone has not seen the original and judges it on it's own, that's fine. However that is an uninformed judgment, and should be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, the 'one sided' argument here is the person that tries to judge it on it's own, because, as the VN says, you're not 'looking at it with both eyes', but only one, because you've forcibly closed the other.

Frankly, even as a stand alone anime, this has been thoroughly disappointing. It often has no emotion, no intensity, and no character development. While I cannot say this on my own, I've seen many people say that the direction of the series makes no sense and things seem to happen randomly or without explanation.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:26   Link #74
~Ayane~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
third volume is coming out 23th, second was in november
Old 2009-12-09, 17:26   Link #75
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
The 2nd volume was released practically a month ago, and supposedly sold less than 600 copies, from what I've heard.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:28   Link #76
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It's a bit unfair to compare adaptations the way many people tend to do. Take a movie based on a book. A book can have a lot more details because it can go on for pages about vivid descriptions but a movie only has a short time to relay all of this to the audience. Certain things can exist in written form that are not as good in the visual form. Take introspective scenes that can be interesting to read in a book, but it can be boring to watch the same thing. Of course, none of this is absolute, but it can be unreasonable to expect a 1:1 ratio on things. It's also possible to have things that are terrible adaptations but are good in their own right, unless of course you assume the source was perfect too. Of course it's subjective in that sense too.

I haven't seen the episode yet aside from those preview pics but the anime as a whole has been pretty entertaining, though even as an anime-only watcher I can tell that the characterization has been horribly botched, though episodes 18-22 were pretty respectable. Of course the artists are terrible and our director has no sense of subtlety whatsoever but I still managed to find the plots interesting and at least some of the horror aspects work well. In any case, they have been doing better since the second half when it was just totally haphazard in the first half.

In the end, it's just a show.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-12-09, 17:30   Link #77
MarthX

I don't care about how much money DEEN makes but it would be disappointing to not see Chiru animated. There's a lot of people who will only watch the anime and never read the VN.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:32   Link #78
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It's a bit unfair to compare adaptations the way many people tend to do. Take a movie based on a book. A book can have a lot more details because it can go on for pages about vivid descriptions but a movie only has a short time to relay all of this to the audience. Certain things can exist in written form that are not as good in the visual form. Take introspective scenes that can be interesting to read in a book, but it can be boring to watch the same thing. Of course, none of this is absolute, but it can be unreasonable to expect a 1:1 ratio on things. It's also possible to have things that are terrible adaptations but are good in their own right, unless of course you assume the source was perfect too. Of course it's subjective in that sense too.
I don't think people are expecting a 1:1 adaption- you obviously can't keep everything.

We're expecting DEEN to at least TRY to keep the mood and feel of the original. I mean, geez, there's stuff that wouldn't even take seconds to fix in the show, or could be fixed with a change of BGM or some better animation. They're just being ridiculously lazy.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:34   Link #79
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
The 2nd volume was released practically a month ago, and supposedly sold less than 600 copies, from what I've heard.
Oh yeah right, Note 3 is the one being sold on the 23rd.

But even then I think that's only Gold Edition, which is a lot more expensive.
Old 2009-12-09, 17:35   Link #80
~Ayane~

Quote:
However that is an uninformed judgment, and should be taken with a grain of salt. If anything, the 'one sided' argument here is the person that tries to judge it on it's own, because, as the VN says, you're not 'looking at it with both eyes', but only one, because you've forcibly closed the other.
but that means if you only compare and judge it as a adaptation you dont look with both eyes either...

Quote:
Frankly, even as a stand alone anime, this has been thoroughly disappointing. It often has no emotion, no intensity, and no character development. While I cannot say this on my own, I've seen many people say that the direction of the series makes no sense and things seem to happen randomly or without explanation
yes, this is true, lack of character development is horrifying here...i would want some extra episodes in which they would animate some funny scenes and add background to some characters, but i dont think it will happen since even one-minute dvd specials are just clips from anime with added new dialogues instead of new animations -_-
Closed Thread