AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-03, 06:31   Link #161
Ottocycle

That guy probably doesn't even even know who the hell Go Nagai is and worships Okouchi like the next coming of the Messiah, if he was able to rant so brainlessly like that.

lol.
Old 2008-09-08, 15:47   Link #162
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Well, all the Yoko fans who were grumbling in here should be happy with the first movie.
Old 2008-09-08, 19:48   Link #163
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

... then what about the Nia fans? You're not telling me to wait till the 2nd movie right? Somehow I feel I'll be greatly disappointed with the first movie because of the lack of Nia.
Old 2008-09-08, 20:17   Link #164
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
... then what about the Nia fans? You're not telling me to wait till the 2nd movie right? Somehow I feel I'll be greatly disappointed with the first movie because of the lack of Nia.
...If it's any consolation, apparently Nia gets a pantyshot.
Old 2008-09-08, 20:57   Link #165
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Ah yeah, saw that comment on 2ch about the pantsu...

Hmm, I haven't got down to watching the R2 dvds, but I remember a scene in the tv series where Nia was standing in the projector and the camera view was errm pointing up from below but in the tv it was all black.... so err, do you know if they made that scene different in the dvd?

*Cough.
Old 2008-09-09, 00:20   Link #166
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Ah yeah, saw that comment on 2ch about the pantsu...

Hmm, I haven't got down to watching the R2 dvds, but I remember a scene in the tv series where Nia was standing in the projector and the camera view was errm pointing up from below but in the tv it was all black.... so err, do you know if they made that scene different in the dvd?

*Cough.
Nah, it's the same.
Old 2008-09-12, 16:51   Link #167
nutype
Future MD

I just finished watching the series and I'm probably going to get flamed for what I have to say but trust me im not saying this to upset anyone.

The good:
The show has show has several things that make people love it. It has characters that you can relate to and it has a few themes that inspire people to try harder. Some of the character designs were really great. In particular the 3 main protagonists and characters like viral were really great conceptions imo. Another thing I liked was how fast paced the show was it was almost rushed because it had to cover a lot of content. Another great thing about the show was how it didnt really take itself seriously. The mecha design was simply a butt ugly joke and it was great how there was a ton of sexual innuendo in it.

Now the bad....

My goodness where do I start with this...how do I approach this....

Let's start with characters: Other than the 3 main protagnonists most of the cast was a joke. A lot of the cast of deformed or completely 1 dimentionally retarded it was an eye sore. When a lot of characters died I was actually relieved because I didn't have to see them anymore waste time.

plot: okay the plot is way over the top. actually that's an understatement the plot is way way way over the top, calling it ridiculous cannot do it justice. First you have the humans taking back the Earth in the first 7 episodes which is fine. Then each episode after that gets exponentially ridiculous that by the time you watch the final episode you are simply watching it for the lulz. You are watching to see how stupid this anime can get, and let me tell you it got really really stupid. I cannot understand how so many people give so much props to this anime to call it the best mecha series of our generation. Obviously these people never watched Code geass or gundam00? Perhaps they should get out more? From the Japanese comments Ive seen on youtube a lot of viewers are conned into liking this series because of its uplifting message which is very cliche in todays anime anyway. Speaking of cliche this story is full of them. From start to finish it spams every archetype there is. There's the overconfident guy, the nobita, the naive princess, the rambo tom girl, the villain that turns good as soon as you defeat him, Jesus I can go on forever!! By the end of the show this mecha series turned into a poorly written DBZ-mecha wannabe it was just painful to watch throughout. To put a cherry on the cake we have the final scene where the protagonist watches Nia die. He doesnt bring her back with his powers....why you ask? Because that would be playing God, and doing that is wrong because....you have the power to do it and you simply shouldnt use it. LAWL. I can make fun of this series for days but I'll keep it short for you.

peace

6.5/10
Old 2008-09-12, 18:56   Link #168
UnDeaD

Don't worry about being flamed. Someone that doesn't even pay attention to the show he is criticizing deserves no effort whatsoever in a response.

I really regret reading that badly written wall-of-text now, ugh.
Old 2008-09-13, 09:36   Link #169
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

Well...that was good for a laugh. XD.

If you're saying Code Geass or Gundam 00 don't have cliche stereotypically characters, clearly you live on another planet.
Old 2008-09-13, 10:21   Link #170
Ottocycle

Frogs, wells, and a sky labelled 'mecha=real robots lolol'

Real?
Old 2008-09-15, 13:07   Link #171
Solafighter
Hige

Big, bigger, biggest.

I just finished the series some minutes ago and must say, its pretty good.

The plot is interesting. I never thought uptill the 17th episode, it would have a time jump of many years. And the ending... mhh well to be honest i didnt understand it very well, why he went into "excil" (?). Perhaps someone could clear for me this point up.

The music (OP and OST) is fantastic. It rocks and has very cool and toutching music.

Yoko has not that luck with guys. First Kamina, who died after their kiss. Then Kittan.

All in one, pretty impressive and very good to watch.
Im looking forward for the Gurren Lagann Movie.
Old 2008-10-24, 21:57   Link #172
Traece
:cool:

My impressions on Gurren Lagann... That's a tough one.

When The Sci-Fi channel started to show Gurren Lagann my interest was on the small side. It looked like a fantastic anime, but my ability to watch it was quite inexistant.

Even with that having been true, I took the time to get my hands on some Gurren Lagann action and I must say... I was deeply impressed. Interestingly enough Gurren Lagann was more than just fantastic it completely obliterated the word and created a need for a new English Dictionary with a whole new page of words than end in "OMFGWICKEDAWESOME."

It was truly one of the few anime that actually builds interest as you watch it and keeps you curious. Maybe because it's another one of those human perserverance animes that is so oddly cliche but yet so worth the watch. I never really understood the Gurren Lagann hype, and at this point I'm still a little confused about it. It's an anime that's so confusing it's understandably brilliant. Either that or it's bewildering... I have no clue.

There is one point in the middle of it all where it becomes a chore to watch something out of choice with characters that are such perfect and simple-minded politicians, but then you also manage to reach a point when you realize they're not simple-minded perfectionist-politicians... They're actually just Human. Surprise!

With the immense and well-done action aside (it was full of impressive fights. Every fight is something to remember. It's not boiled down to, "remember that fight with Sephiroth at the end of Final Fantasy 7?" It's more like, "remember when you fought that bunny rabbit? That was awesome huh? Just like that time you killed Sephiroth. It's all pretty good here."), it also had some great romance. At least for two of the characters it was great, no matter how horrible and tragic it was to the point where I would've probably cried (I kid you not, for me this is HUGE) if I hadn't already had a hunch it was going to happen. The other woman and her batch of love is more on the awkward and forced side, since she ends up winning the, "most love interests deceased," award.

Gurren Lagann's romance can be summed up into the following phrase:

"I have more dead lovers than you do! Nananana-boo-boo!"

It worked somehow though. It really did.

I had to give the series in full a perfect score, because I really couldn't find a single thing that was wrong with the series. I really couldn't. Sure, I would've loved to see some good times with the romance and less character massacre. . . But somehow they make it impossible to think badly of the show based on that.
Old 2008-10-31, 01:43   Link #173
Tiran86

I love the series, and even though it constantly gets bigger and bigger to top itself, nothing ever beat episode 8 for me.

9/10 for the series. Definitely in my top 20 series.
Old 2008-11-01, 10:34   Link #174
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

10/10

/speechless
Old 2008-11-02, 12:02   Link #175
9taileddemon

Okay. I gave it a ten, but that was only a 9.5 rounded up.

At the beginning of the series I was a little interested. Kamina was awesome and some of the rest of the cast had funny moments. However it was not anything amazing. I actually had to persevere to continue watching.

Then episode 8 hit. Unlike a lot of people, episode 8 was not the OMG THIS SHOW IS SO AWESOME!!!!! I NOW COMPLETELY LOVE EVERYTHING.

While episode 8 was pretty good, I still remained unconvinced.

I almost stopped at episode 9 because I still had not been converted. However, Nia was then introduced. Nia was so cute that she helped me to continue watching.

Episode 10 came by... meh. Okay not great.

Then episode 11 came... as thus I was converted. The emotions the excitement, Nia's devotion to Simon, and the battle against Guame with happily ever after in the background. It was that episode that made me fall in love with this series. (Currently I have watched episode 11, 17 times.)

Excitement dropped a little from 12 to 14 but it was still very good. Just not the awesome level of 11.

15 got mixed reactions from me. I loved the beginning against the huge Ganmen. I actually did not enjoy the Lazengann vs Gurren Lagann battle. I don't know why. But I loved Lagann vs. Genome. And when Genome got his stomach blown up, I cheered.

17-21 were okay. I liked the struggles the government was facing because it felt very real. However I now hate the inhabitants of Earth the booed Simon. The battles against the anti-spirals were pretty good and I liked the Arc-Gurren. I did not enjoy Yoko's story at all because it bored me. The only part I enjoyed was when she blew up the Ganmen.

Episode 22 once again reminded me of the awesomeness of the series. Go Arc-Gurren-Lagann!!! Episode 23 was also pretty good with Simon Falcon Punching Rossiu. I did not really enjoy 24 because I don't like when character after character gets killed. It annoys me.

Episoe 25-26 were AMAZING!!!! I loved every single moment. Kittan's death attack. Chouginga-Gurren-Lagann's battle and the wierd universe.

The final battle was beyond amazing. My only complaints are the ending and Nia's death. I still see no real reason.

The series was fabulous altogether. The beginning was lackluster and the ending was just dumb. But the center was so juicy and awesome that it pulled everything up on its own. The final battle was so amazing that I just cannot express it.

It pros WAY outweigh its cons so I once again give it a 9.5 rounded to a ten.
Old 2008-11-12, 04:52   Link #176
Charred Knight

Agruably the best anime I have ever seen. In 26 episodes they told an epic tale that most anime can't tell in 52 episodes. Most of the characters where given depth, and all the characters that died went out in a blaze of glory, they was a ton of love given, and no character was ever forgotten.

My favorite scene was the attempted suicide of Rossiu where we find out that Rossiu cried after he announced the death penalty of Simon. Showing the kind of man he is, Simon then helps Kinon save him, and all three are reunited in a brilliant scene. Along with Episode 26 it's my favorite episode.

The plot was excellent, the roles of Beastman, Spirals, and Anti Spirals was always done with depth, and care. Their was never a scene where I felt that a characters action was out of character. The burden of leadership had effected both Rossiu, and Lordgenome, and so their actions made sense. The Anti Spiral King actions where shown as being correct from their point of view, and made perfect sense.

Except for the one episode, the art was always excellent, the character designs where unique, interesting, and always well done. The mecha designs where the most unique since G Gundam, and and arguably more unique than even that. At no point in time did I feel that the mecha designers where taking it easy by using mecha designs from other series.

At anytime the plot would sucker punch you with a brilliantly written scene like Rossiu crying, Kamina's death, Kittan kissing Yoko, Lordgenome's final death, or the Anti-Spiral King revealing the truth of the Anti-Spiral.
Old 2008-11-15, 18:08   Link #177
Boduar

Anyone else think its funny that after all 26 episodes of Simon fighting for the Spirals that at the end (or rather beginning of episode 1) he ends up being the new anti-spiral (at least very likely).

P.S. if you dont get what i mean watch the first like 20 seconds of ep.1 after the OP and if you dont think thats Simon + Boota your nuts.
Old 2008-11-15, 20:13   Link #178
NyxOne

...So...Simon...fighting against the Anti-Spirals...means he's an Anti-Spiral.

Right.
Old 2008-11-16, 05:14   Link #179
Boduar

Maybe the translations wrong then for some reason I see it saying the Galactic Government ... which is what was established by Rossiu at end of 26.
Old 2008-11-16, 05:24   Link #180
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boduar View Post
Maybe the translations wrong then for some reason I see it saying the Galactic Government ... which is what was established by Rossiu at end of 26.
This government is a Spiral being system, not an Anti-Spiral system.

The Anti-Spirals prevent the living beings from evolving, they believe that constant evolution will only destroy existance itself. But Spirals constantly evolve and believe they can over come any obstacle, even their own evolution paths if they were to go astray.

This Galactic Government unites all Spiral Beings so that everyone is united and can evolve together in the same direction. So that they won't end up as beings who one day will stand against each other and fight each other.

If its an Anti-Spiral system, it would simple force all beings to remain unevolved and stay put at their own planets with no future.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread