AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-05, 16:41   Link #721
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
Lol, really? Do you have any link for that one?
Okay, that was an exaggeration, but... this.
Old 2009-05-05, 18:14   Link #722
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Okay, that was an exaggeration, but... this.
Oh that one, yeah i have seen it before. 8D
But yeah, it is Gainax, so i assume..they did what had to be done. |D
Old 2009-05-05, 22:39   Link #723
Yokai

Is there somewhere to get that FULL translated text? Just interested, because theres supposedly a lot more that this guy just summarized and didn't translate. I.E. The animation process...
Old 2009-05-26, 15:34   Link #724
Simonize

It is funny how they end the fight by using the very first move that Kamnia invented even though it isnt mentioned: The Cannonball attack .
Old 2009-05-28, 10:36   Link #725
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonize View Post
It is funny how they end the fight by using the very first move that Kamnia invented even though it isnt mentioned: The Cannonball attack .
Full-circle huh? 8D
It still does say, "Lagann Impact" though. //speaking of, i rofled so much with the my-wife-is-the-best-in-universe-SWING. |DD
Old 2009-05-30, 16:11   Link #726
StockStalker

Yoko turning off the dream movie of her wedding to Kittan symbolizes that no one can replace Kamina as her alpha male. Yoko remaining single and a virgin illustrates that she wishes to be with Kamina in the eternal life, though he is not there for her in the ever brief material life...

Anyways, the four main messages the anime tried to conveyed were:

1) Don't depend on external things to be happy (like watching animes, for instance), for when they are taken away from you (ie. the anime ending), all you are left with is sorrow and a hole in your soul, which screams to be filled. Among the external things include: money, fame (Spiral King status), relationships (Nia+Simon/Kamina+Yoko), and pretty much anything that can be taken away from you in this world.

2) Power corrupts the soul. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Do what you set out to accomplish and stop (Simon becoming a wanderer). Any further pursuit of power will only corrupt your soul and bring about destruction all around you. There's a demon living within every mortal being, and it feeds and grows on a corrupted soul, growing more powerful, and ultimately bringing destruction to its host and its environment (Spiral Nemesis).

3) Courage, Compassion, and Love (Kamina name meaning = child of "love") are all that remains when things turn to dust (Kamina's body in death). Courage, compassion, and love are eternal/indestructible. All you need to make destiny, or your dreams happen are just those (ie. this is the future that Kamina dreamed of creating for future generations). If you lack talent, get the help of someone with it (Simon). If you don't have money, use other people's money to make your dreams happen, etc. But if you lack courage, compassion, and love, your dreams will never happen! Kick "reason to the curb" and just do it, because reason is just the brain making excuses, and alast, courage, compassion, and love reside not in the brain, but in the heart. "Listen to your heart, and you will understand" (Disney's Pocahontas).

4) Everything that has a beginning has an ending. The soul/spirit is an exception. Though the body may die and turn to dust, the soul/spirit was never born/created, so it will never die. It simply is. Spirit lives in the heart. All spirits are one and the same. So, it can be said that Kamina and Nia are alive in Yoko and Simon's heart, and that they need not meet death to be re-united, for they already are! This is why Simon is smiling in the end, even though he is a wandering "nobody", and why Yoko is happy to remain a virgin.

Sir Isaac Newton once said himself that the greatest accomplishment he's ever made in his life was remaining a virgin... So I don't see what's so bad about Simon and Yoko both remaining virgins and "faithful" to their true loves.

Last edited by StockStalker; 2009-05-30 at 16:57.
Old 2009-05-30, 17:08   Link #727
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockStalker View Post
*snip*
The creators have said that Simon and Nia are not virgins. Just though I'd point that out.
Old 2009-06-01, 23:24   Link #728
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockStalker View Post
(Kamina name meaning = child of "love")
I don't know where you got that since it doesn't even make sense, but Kamina's name comes from "kami" (Japanese for "above").
Old 2009-06-01, 23:43   Link #729
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Actually Kamina stands for 'God's Name', kami = god, na = name, at least in Japanese.

But Gurren Lagann is not really in a world with 'Japan' and majority of the names are western or similar. The name 'Kamina' doesn't exist only in Japan, but in western countries as well and may have different meanings. Kamina came from the same place as Simon, Simon doesn't sound Japanese to me. Even Yoko has a western surname, which makes her name not really Japanese, even though it sounds like one.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-06-09, 15:40   Link #730
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The creators have said that Simon and Nia are not virgins. Just though I'd point that out.

Is that true? I thought the creators only replied with a controversial reply to that, saying something along the lines of "Simon and Nia did what they had to in that timeskip."
Old 2009-06-12, 22:43   Link #731
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Finished watching Gurren-Lagann last night.

Really enjoyed it.

Was quite touched by the ending but I also felt rather sad for Yoko and Simon.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-06-13, 05:35   Link #732
Xyphler

;-;
Best.
Ending.
EVER.

Even after 2 years since its release it still has that "OMFG WAT EPIC MAWNLEE TEARS".

I dont know why, but the ending reminded me of Final Fantasy Tactics' quote:
"The true hero of this tale was the man forgotten."

Good job Gainax,
good job.

Spoiler for episode 27:
Old 2009-06-15, 01:02   Link #733
noktown

I loved the ending itself how he's leaving young after marrying Nia,but i hate that part where they show them old <_<

Especially Simon,who's literally become noone...

I thought he'd marry Yoko,you know like they said dead people are dead and alive are alive,so i thought they will get over it and be together(it's not like it was important to me).

But i was hoping to see him doing something important or maybe researching something,and he's just become a roaming old man with a long drill lolz.Everything was good except for that.

I gave it 5/10,kinda ruined it for me,everyone has families,and has a future except for Simon and Yoko(who seems to still love Kamina),but at least she has a job xD
I don't like endings like that,where the main character was a hero for the whole series,becomes so cool,and after like 30 years he's doing nothing,noone knows nothing about him nor do they hear anything about him/them (if you count Yoko).
Old 2009-06-15, 10:46   Link #734
Xyphler

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
I loved the ending itself how he's leaving young after marrying Nia,but i hate that part where they show them old <_<

Especially Simon,who's literally become noone...

I thought he'd marry Yoko,you know like they said dead people are dead and alive are alive,so i thought they will get over it and be together(it's not like it was important to me).

But i was hoping to see him doing something important or maybe researching something,and he's just become a roaming old man with a long drill lolz.Everything was good except for that.

I gave it 5/10,kinda ruined it for me,everyone has families,and has a future except for Simon and Yoko(who seems to still love Kamina),but at least she has a job xD
I don't like endings like that,where the main character was a hero for the whole series,becomes so cool,and after like 30 years he's doing nothing,noone knows nothing about him nor do they hear anything about him/them (if you count Yoko).
If you read the previous posts, it said that Simon never did want to become a hero. After he did what he had to do he just went back to doing what he was in the first place, a digger.

It looks like he's happy, rather back in the first episode of the 7 year time skip where he had to carry the weight of a whole city on his shoulders..
Old 2009-06-15, 14:09   Link #735
noktown

Noone wants to become a hero in animes/mangas,but it doesn't mean that you have to just go and disconnect from the world,just because you saved the world,doesn't mean that you have to sit in the government(like he did in the first ep. of the 7 yrs time skip,and he did that most likely to just be informed of the situation).After he defeated that anti-spiral thing,he freed the universe,he didn't have to sit in the government or be a hero.

At least when he was in the government he had friends and people to support him.

But here he's left alone doing nothing(probably just drilling here and there),while the others have families,kids,jobs - future.

It was just kind of sad to realize that he wasted 30 or w/e the amount of years was shown in the end alone doing nothing.

I think him and Yoko were destined to be together,they share the same pain,not necessary lovers but i think they should understand each other the most,that would've been the best ending in my opinion(again I'm not one of the fans of Simon x Yoko,i just wanted an ending that makes sense ;o ).
Old 2009-06-15, 22:23   Link #736
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
It was just kind of sad to realize that he wasted 30 or w/e the amount of years was shown in the end alone doing nothing.
Well I think saving the human race is something to surmount to.

I personally thought the ending was rather sad but the characters looked satisfied so as a viewer it's the best type of ending; living without regrets.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-06-16, 22:25   Link #737
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Well I think saving the human race is something to surmount to.

I personally thought the ending was rather sad but the characters looked satisfied so as a viewer it's the best type of ending; living without regrets.
That what makes it even sadder,he saved the world and then just roamed alone until the day he died (?)(Well at least 30 years).
And even Simon didn't look that happy and was wondering if he's a nobody ;o

Imo the ending would've been better if they just ended at that part where Simon left the "wedding".

But meh you can't change what's been done,if we had to rate the ending alone I'd give it 1 out of 10.
Old 2009-06-17, 11:26   Link #738
Duo Himura

Personally, I always thought that the ending is a big part of what makes Simon a hero--a true hero's journey isn't over just because the Big Bad is finished, in fact, more important is the passing of the torch to the next generation. As the series itself notes, that's what Simon's been doing: watching over humanity, from someplace where he isn't going to be fawned on. He tried being a public icon once, but it didn't go so well, so he decided to live out his life in anonymity, still doing what he can for the next generation of mankind.

It might also tie into the whole thematic bit of Genome and the Antispirals, and the notion of control--like if Simon wanted, he could be the world's leader easily, but he wants to let humanity choose its own future because ultimately that idea of freedom is at the core of the series. Really, "going beyond the impossible" is more of a trapping to that, if you ask me. Actually, even if Simon didn't try to take power, his mere presence would probably turn into a cheat/handicap for mankind, and that in itself imposes limits of a sort. So Simon chose perhaps the most heroic of the paths before him, and retired.
Old 2009-06-17, 21:10   Link #739
noktown

Actually I thought that his retirement was meant to say that he's done his job(Protecting the earth),and he is now going away.

I'm pretty sure that if by getting rid of that King (w/e his name was,Nia's father) the world could live in peace,he'd choose the same path as Yoko and just leave,but the problem was that humanity was still in danger and as 1 of the first people who fought for the rights to live on the surface(and successfully defeating the king),he had no choice but to stay and watch over the humanity.

And obviously if there was any threat to the earth after defeating the anti-spiral lord,the series would have continued ;o

So i don't think that he chose the most heroic of the paths,the most heroic would be to actually have a family,of course despite what they said in the end that dead people should stay dead,he still felt an incredible pain in his heart,that's why it would be cool to see him happy,in the end they try to show him sort of happy,but you can see that noone can actually be happy in such situation.

So pretty much even a heroic death would fit him better,because after saving the humanity he just kept roaming around till the end of his days.
Old 2009-07-06, 07:03   Link #740
AnimePhantom
The Phantom of Anime

I saw the end to this series on Ani-Monday's on the Sci-Fi network, I really enjoyed it and it made me want to go back and rewatch the series, which is what I have been doing. I hope Sci-Fi decides to replay this series sometime in the future or that Adult Swim picks it up for their anime line up on Saturday nights.
Closed Thread