AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-30, 03:58   Link #1
LynnieS

Japan Today - Akihabara = Geek Paradise?

Hadn't see anything about this posted by anyone else yet.

This June 28th article from "Japan Today" has some rather interesting examples on how Akihabara has transformed itself into a paradise (of sorts) for geeks and otakus. From what people had written in earlier threads, it might be of interest to some. Others will likely go .

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 04:41   Link #2
Shadowlord
~DESU

haha, i've just found my first stop when i got to Japan again this year. Thanks for the info. lol i'm all 5 of those geek "types"
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 10:16   Link #3
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Indeed it is.

Though I would say that JapanToday's articles are slanted with a bad attitude towards stuff that the editors don't personally like. Personally I doubt half of what they say is true, but they don't care so long as they get to bash and insult a sector of society they don't like (which seems to be fans of anime, manga, video games, and computers.)
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 11:32   Link #4
Ending

Quote:
Third are TV animation geeks whose brains can't distinguish between reality and the animation.
Well now, sounds like a "lunatic" instead of "anime fan." To me that article seemed a bit biased, as that is as valid business niche as any -if Japan is really that 'otaku.' Beautiful anime girls plastered to walls? What is new... you can hardly walk outside your own house with seeing some sexual references (our local H&M ads spring to mind, with their bikini-girls).
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 14:02   Link #5
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Akihabara is a place where I go every week to buy and pre-order stuff anywhere from the latest computer equipments, the latest electronic gadgets, anime DVDs, and ero-games. If anime-lovers are thinking of going to Japan - Akihabara will be the place (and perhaps the only place necessary to go) to indulge yourself on anything related to electronics, anime, manga, consumer games, and ero-games.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 14:27   Link #6
Termina
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Termina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Akihabara is a place where I go every week to buy and pre-order stuff anywhere from the latest computer equipments, the latest electronic gadgets, anime DVDs, and ero-games. If anime-lovers are thinking of going to Japan - Akihabara will be the place (and perhaps the only place necessary to go) to indulge yourself on anything related to electronics, anime, manga, consumer games, and ero-games.
Yes, because if you go to Japan, there's nothing better to do than watch anime.... which you could do at home.

That's it, go on a vacation to play games and watch anime. WTG.
Termina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 15:37   Link #7
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termina
Yes, because if you go to Japan, there's nothing better to do than watch anime.... which you could do at home.

That's it, go on a vacation to play games and watch anime. WTG.
You know, in case you haven't noticed or even read the other threads on such topics as "Where are some interesting places to visit while in Japan?" we all know there's more to do there. The thing is, this is a thread about a specific area in Japan that is a mecha for electronic, game and animation fans in Japan. kj1980 is just stating that it would be worth visiting there even if it's not for anime, there's plenty of other things to do in Akihabara that don't involve anime.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 16:04   Link #8
Ending

Quote:
there's plenty of other things to do in Akihabara that don't involve anime
*Cough* ...yea... a lot more interesting stuff... like the nearest bordel... *Cough*

Knowing how popular it is to travel there to fix some "needs." It's pretty nasty to hear that some women of my own age are willing to sell their bodies just so they can afford to pay their university fees...
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 16:18   Link #9
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
*Cough* ...yea... a lot more interesting stuff... like the nearest bordel... *Cough*

Knowing how popular it is to travel there to fix some "needs." It's pretty nasty to hear that some women of my own age are willing to sell their bodies just so they can afford to pay their university fees...
Actually I was refering to the Kotsu Museum, the Kanda-koshoten-gai area (a HUGE used book market), not to mention the numerous bars and resturants in the area that aren't anime themed.

There's also Tokyo Dome City, Sports-Gai (massive sporting good stores) and Asakusabashi Ton-Ya-Gai (whole sale store with lots of cheap clothing and such usually around 35% below retail) and Ochanomizu-Gakki-Gai (music and everything related to it) areas. There's a whole lot more to do in the area that doesn't involve electronics or anime. -.-
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 19:22   Link #10
microlith

Or hell, get off in Ueno and walk to Akihabara. Follow the Yamanote and between Ueno and Okachimachi is Ameyokocho, which is incredible.

Go through Akihabara on a trip to Japan but by no means is it the only place you go, even if you -are- an anime/game freak!
Old 2004-07-01, 00:49   Link #11
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Or hell, get off in Ueno and walk to Akihabara. Follow the Yamanote and between Ueno and Okachimachi is Ameyokocho, which is incredible.
Or stop off at Akihabara, sightsee for a few hours (get the Fodor's guide to Japan if you're interested in more than just window-shopping, and it's a pretty decent book also) before heading to the Tokyo station for the shinkansen out to other parts of the country.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 10:26   Link #12
microlith

Quote:
before heading to the Tokyo station for the shinkansen out to other parts of the country.
Indeed. Just be sure to plan well ahead for this ride, since it can cost around 20000yen (about $200) each way ;-; I never had the chance to ride the shinkansen, wanted to take it out to Osaka for a day.
Old 2004-07-11, 15:55   Link #13
Sakaki Nijuro

I used to go to Akihabara area very often while I lived Japan. I really miss the town's "entertainment" looks...

When I'll return Japan next year, hopefully I can see the big building they're making in front of Akihabara station. I wonder...they are big accomodation or something like that? But I hope I can see more developed Akihabara area in the future!!

But anyway, I really love the town of electric and anime, Akihabara. I miss the scenary of every anime stores, filled with mangas and anime goods.
Heaven itself was there, man!
Sakaki Nijuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 20:19   Link #14
TheBlueOne
Da da da di da da da

Quote:
*face lites up*

I did this! After a morning trip with some friends at the Tokyo National Museum and some shopping in Ueno (along with mummbling through a $100 -> Yen transaction at a local bank (全然日本語を話せませんでした ) ) , we walked to Akihabara.

As I remember it, the walk was quite desolite, actually. I remember an empty lot and a few boarded up shops. This was five years ago, though.

Quote:
Go through Akihabara on a trip to Japan but by no means is it the only place you go, even if you -are- an anime/game freak!
Agreed. Everyone needs to go to Nikko; beautiful wooded areas! I hope the construction plague hasn't touched it. Oh, and go to Kamakura; if only to see the Amish Cooking (about halfway down).
TheBlueOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 22:40   Link #15
microlith

Ameyokocho is more or less directly beside the Yamanote line tracks, parts of it are directly beneath it. Make sure you're on the outside of the track near the entrance to Ueno-kouen and walk towards Okachimachi. Between Okachimachi and Akihabara it is boring, but between Ueno and Okachimachi, it's quite busy.