AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-12-22, 12:50   Link #21
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
Well, obviously many of you don't live in countries with subtitled foreign TV shows, like Portugal or Holland. And in those shows, the subtitlers often place the subtitles a bit higher than normal.
And remember: they're professionals.
This may sound bad, but let's look at it another perspective:

Many people complain that high subtitles can bother the visualization of the main scene (somewhere towards the middle of the screen). This is true, of course.
But what about "eye-shifting"? (With this I mean the how long the eyes of the viewer must divert from the central scene to the "bottomed" subtitles.) The more the subtitles are placed on the bottom, the harder and tiring will be to follow the show. You know... "watch center screen, divert to bottom, divert again to center".
This effect is enhanced even more when the subtitles are just too quick to read, like unfortunately most fansubbers usually do (when the subtitles' timing is EXACTLY THE SAME as the dialog timing).

I personnaly prefer the subtitles a bit higher than a bit lower. After all, I also have a divx player and sometimes have the same problem with my standard TV.

But somehow many of you are getting either offended or bothered with the suggestion made firstly by RyuHayabusa and then by other users afterwards. Others are replying in a hostile way. And I don't see the reason for it.
Let's not forget that what RyuHayabusa stated was merely a SUGGESTION. No one is trying to force anything on anyone. It's just an opinion.
This isn't a "must do / must change" thread. But if no one speaks, then nothing will be done (in the case of the fansubbers that aren't aware of this or didn't place the subtitles on the bottom on purpose, of course). But the final decision is their's, and no one else can change it.
I know I'm not a moderator, but I'm seeing too many "flames" here, and it doesn't exactly give a "good mood" to the thread.

I have read about Subtitle timing the proffesionals are supposed to do the same as we do. "And remember: they're professionals." Yeah and we aint. The proffesionals cant even time their subtitles as they are supposed to they often have 1 - 100 missing lines in a movie or tv show. I would say that they ussualy are mediocre crap. though i have noticed that nowdays some tv stations found out about positioning their subtitles and you can now read the signs and on the bottom of the screen when the subtitle comes up cause they moved it above or under the text that was on screen originaly.

Take Care
Sakaki Forestdoor
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 17:22   Link #22
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki-
I have read about Subtitle timing the proffesionals are supposed to do the same as we do. "And remember: they're professionals." Yeah and we aint. The proffesionals cant even time their subtitles as they are supposed to they often have 1 - 100 missing lines in a movie or tv show. I would say that they ussualy are mediocre crap.
I didn't mean that all TV subtitlers are good, I only pointed out the best that professionals can do.
But I can relate to your point of view, I've also seen my share of nasty subtitling.
It's just that when I want to do something I go all-out. I've tried to sub an anime and I know it's not easy. Basically, my model is TV subtitling - the good ones. (Curiously the best subtitles used to be the ones made 10 years ago, or older. :\ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki-
though i have noticed that nowdays some tv stations found out about positioning their subtitles and you can now read the signs and on the bottom of the screen when the subtitle comes up cause they moved it above or under the text that was on screen originaly.
I didn't quite get this part. It's a bit confusing (or maybe I'm just tired ).

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2004-12-22 at 17:47.
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 18:37   Link #23
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
I didn't quite get this part. It's a bit confusing (or maybe I'm just tired ).
Sounded kinda like they were refering to closed captioning, in the style where when someone new says something, all the text moves up one line and the new test appears on the bottom line.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 22:21   Link #24
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Closed captioning and subtitles are pretty different. Closed captioning is the one were the stuff looks like it's getting typed in while scrolling up. Subtitles on Korean TV are kinda crappy and always have been. Subtitles for the movie Seven Samurai on DVD were also crappy (American release). But they are well positioned to read on a television, heh.
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 00:01   Link #25
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoBaka
Closed captioning and subtitles are pretty different. Closed captioning is the one were the stuff looks like it's getting typed in while scrolling up. Subtitles on Korean TV are kinda crappy and always have been. Subtitles for the movie Seven Samurai on DVD were also crappy (American release). But they are well positioned to read on a television, heh.
Closed captioning can also be done to have it appear all at once and not scroll. For example, Jeopardy does that (well at least a few years ago). The problem with Jeopardy was that the captions came up about 1 second too early, so it spoiled all the answers
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote