AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2009-04-14, 00:23   Link #841
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edelweiss.

For those who do not know what the flora is.

Didn't watch the anime, but the flower plays a semi important role in the game. Did they show the scene of Welkin on a hill at the end of the tutorial chapters ?
Yep, it's pretty similar except that they added Susie to the scene.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 00:42   Link #842
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

One of the biggest beef I had with the 2nd episode was, aside from making racists out of Gallians and Isara a hermit, the militia is now officially a composition of inept morons to boot. We are talking about a country that had armed itself to the teeth, with militia training to be one of the most important aspects of Gallian citizens, you'd expect some sensible decision making.

But no, taking a lone tank, in barely serviceable condition, and actually expecting to win against a foe five times its strength? Real smart. Wasted a tank and accomplished little in the process... *sigh* I can only wonder how they won the first one.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 00:43   Link #843
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

posting some VC fanart because i thought the thread needed more VC fanart. (hopefully most of these aren't reposts) ^^

Old 2009-04-14, 00:56   Link #844
Tak

Well, if we are going to post images... I thought this little gem was pretty awesome:

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-14, 00:58   Link #845
velvet nightmare

if you enlist, you get formal training

militia usually don't get any at all (ie have experience in hunting so they can use guns)

but it's diff for their country b/c everyone gets training in school (ie the kids can hold guns etc)

so like now that she's formally enlisted, she's going to get ordered to fight, which goes against her actions earlier, so i dont think it's simply for family
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 01:07   Link #846
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

@Tak:

Every army has their share of smart and sensible commanders, and rash and insensible commanders. We just saw one of the latter in this episode.

We'll see whether that observation holds up in future episodes.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 01:08   Link #847
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
hmm, they keep changing so much things apparently lsara was a hermit darcsen in the anime...since people don't know her....

so after seeing so many changes l been wondering...

Spoiler:
Oh geez, that'd get awkward real fast. But I can see it happening.

Spoiler for Romance...:
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 01:14   Link #848
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
militia usually don't get any at all (ie have experience in hunting so they can use guns)
The Swiss militia is actually a well-regulated and well-trained bunch. Members of the militia receive periodic training, and its mandatory. Gallia is based on Switzerland in more ways than one.

Of course, if the Gallian militia is not a well-trained, regulated and organized, then I really, really, really doubt the wisdom of handing a bunch of hunters the army's mainstay workhorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
@Tak:

Every army has their share of smart and sensible commanders, and rash and insensible commanders. We just saw one of the latter in this episode.
And thanks to him, my respect for the Gallian military just went from an initial high point based on my impression from the game to a free dive. But, there is hope. For the next episode: Formation of the 7th Platoon!!

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2009-04-14 at 01:25.
Old 2009-04-14, 01:31   Link #849
Chrono Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edelweiss.

For those who do not know what the flora is.

Didn't watch the anime, but the flower plays a semi important role in the game. Did they show the scene of Welkin on a hill at the end of the tutorial chapters ?
Up to today I had never known that lion's paw is another name for edelweiss.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 03:12   Link #850
ThoHell

Man this is such a horribly written script/plot/dialogue, but I'm still watching it. Guess the interesting method of shading and coloring has caught my eyes...
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 04:13   Link #851
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
But, there is hope. For the next episode: Formation of the 7th Platoon!!
Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one too! Not to mention, Rosie and Largo make their entrance in episode 3.

I like the fact that Ayako's fansub of episode 2 includes some notes from the game. It presents their work in a good way, or at least someone in the group loves the game enough to make that extra effort. Plus, it helps flesh out the background of the story more for those unfamiliar with the original material.

On another note, I'm quite surprised with the portrayal of Welkin so far. I think the anime is taking Welkin's "head in the clouds" attitude a bit too far sometimes. On the other hand, Alicia always comes across as someone who has some fire in her, so her anime personality isn't that far off to me personally.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 04:38   Link #852
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Ayako also included notes for Episode 1, if I remember correctly. Apparently they have some consultants backing them up with game knowledge, as listed in their credits.

The Edelweiss is a nice piece of kit, though the thing bothering me the whole time was how quiet the tanks (in general) are. Is it because they use ragnoline as fuel?

Note that I haven't played the game.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 07:01   Link #853
Chrono Helix

I can't stop listening to Alicia say 'ii kara!' and 'mou!'
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 07:06   Link #854
Taken

Edelweiss reminds me of the Tiger I Tank used by the Nazi... definitely overpowered compared to the seemingly WWI model tanks of the Imperial army.

I am quite impressed with the quality of this anime. It kinda feels that it's somewhat better than FMA.... that's just me
Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 07:27   Link #855
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
if you enlist, you get formal training

but it's diff for their country b/c everyone gets training in school (ie the kids can hold guns etc)

so like now that she's formally enlisted, she's going to get ordered to fight, which goes against her actions earlier, so i dont think it's simply for family
Think Switzerland: Everyone's in the army in some capacity or another.
Old 2009-04-14, 08:49   Link #856
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
All right, just finished episode 2:

1. I can see they changed the anti-armor lances to not be so...... obnoxiously large.

2. Susie is getting on my nerves.

3. I love Welkin's character more than I did in the game. I mean, I liked his character there, but in the anime he acts goofy but at least I think he's actually really in control. I love when he's talking to the Bruhl Watch second in command; the XO starts talking about the First War and Welkin says, "oh, no, I was asking about pulling back." LOL It doesn't work so well without context but his comments are very funny, but they're the, "Oh.... actually... he's right..." kind of comments; very deadpan.

4. Hopefully we don't see much more of those kids from the Bruhl Watch. I think my problem with them was there's no way they were 15 and Alicia is 19. That is not a 4 years' difference. I don't really agree with that decision by the animators.

I might have more later but I'm in a rush right now.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 08:54   Link #857
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
4. Hopefully we don't see much more of those kids from the Bruhl Watch. I think my problem with them was there's no way they were 15 and Alicia is 19. That is not a 4 years' difference. I don't really agree with that decision by the animators.
Well going by the little shots we see of the militia army in the second episode, we don't see any kids --- same goes for the preview. Hopefully that's the last we shall see of them.
Old 2009-04-14, 08:57   Link #858
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
1. I can see they changed the anti-armor lances to not be so...... obnoxiously large.
That might just be the best the Bruhl town watch can afford.
Quote:
2. Susie is getting on my nerves.
Quote:
3. I love Welkin's character more than I did in the game. I mean, I liked his character there, but in the anime he acts goofy but at least I think he's actually really in control. I love when he's talking to the Bruhl Watch second in command; the XO starts talking about the First War and Welkin says, "oh, no, I was asking about pulling back." LOL It doesn't work so well without context but his comments are very funny, but they're the, "Oh.... actually... he's right..." kind of comments; very deadpan.
This is an interesting point of view. I wish he'd been coherent enough to explain himself, but he'll... yeah. I'm reserving judgement until after *merf*
Quote:
I feel like they served a specific purpose. I don't see them returning.
Old 2009-04-14, 09:05   Link #859
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Yep, my fears are coming true. What they're doing with Susie is working.
Old 2009-04-14, 09:09   Link #860
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yep, my fears are coming true. What they're doing with Susie is working.
Care to elaborate on your fears? I only fear that they grossly mishandle her, as she could be an interesting exploration of quite a few topics.

Tags
sega