AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 93 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 23.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 10.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.84%
1 out of 10 : Painful 12 5.53%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-25, 18:17   Link #561
aznplucky

I was pretty surprised by this episode, and after reading through this thread I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

In anime there's always areas where you're expected to suspend belief, and other areas where a tie to reality makes it interesting and watchable. In the case of Toradora, one of the areas where a tie to reality is maintained was the relational interactions between the characters, the chain of cause and effect, motivations of love and friendship, and I guess in general, the human emotions involved in their everyday actions. This episode seemed to trample on that reality when Ryuuji and Taiga decide to
Spoiler for toradora 24:

Why? Doesn't this sort of thing happen everyday in the real world? Yes, but given the motivational factors behind their decision to
Spoiler for toradora 24:
, I'd have to say either the anime left out a lot of serious character development from the novel, or Taiga and Ryuuji suddenly became retarded.

Okay, young people in love do stupid things... I guess that's true. And I read somewhere that kids in Japan grow up slower (that is, are slower to become independent, to live by themselves, to take care of themselves, etc.) than their western counterparts. But still, over the series of Toradara you grow to care for Taiga and Ryuuji and the other characters, you feel connected to them, and in the end it's very frustrating when they end up doing something utterly idiotic.

I suppose it's not entirely irrational to believe such a storyline. Epic, venerable tales have been written around such events. But I'd say the sense of betrayal, at least for me, comes from being sold on Toradara as a light hearted romantic school life comedy, with this turn of events seemingly bringing the anime into a totally different genre... almost like a bad soap opera.
Old 2009-03-25, 19:15   Link #562
Ultenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Forgive me, but "out-of-character" seems to be used these days to make people's complaints look more acceptable and "professional". It's become some sort of code for "the characters acted in a way I didn't like, so I'm going to complain".

For what it's worth, I think they acted perfectly in character, but I'm biased since I've known what was coming for a while.

No offense meant at you, by the way, if you take it. I've just seen "out-of-character" thrown around a lot lately.
No offense taken. Out of character is a VERY valid complaint in regards to writing, and something that shouldn't be taken lightly. Yes, people in real life do things that are out of character, but by and large if you know someone well enough you can predict their reactions and actions. At this point in the story Taiga and Ryuuji should be developed enough that we should be able to predict their reactions, as well as Yasuko. The interactions between Ryuuji and Yasuko seemed so completely out of the blue. Not ONCE was it hinted there was any issues between them, they seemed to have a very wonderful and loving relationship.

And now suddenly over something as stupid as him wanting to work to help her out makes him move out and her disappear? There was no set up to that at all, there was one or two conversations about her wanting him not to work, but never anything to this extent. It's like the author just wanted a big twist at the end, but sorry I don't buy twists for thier own sake. It's shoddy writing and lazy, and no matter what context I strongly disagree with that type of storytelling. It's like writing a mystery story but never giving a single real hint to who the perpatrater is, well then OF COURSE it's going to be a surprise at the end.
Old 2009-03-25, 19:37   Link #563
typhonsentra

They have hinted at it quite a bit actually, but it was most blatant in the previous episode after Yasuko got sick.

"Why can't she rely on me?" When he had his mini-freakout it was because Yasuko refused to rely on him and took all the responsibility on herself.

I sometimes have had trouble understanding character motivation in this show but this conflict/love he had with his mom is something I saw as very true and relatable to me as I too came from a single-parent home. Everything I've read so far in the books has had me nodding along, sometimes crying a little bit and the show actually toned it down if anything rather than blowing it up more. So it bugs me a bit when you call this aspect of the story "shoddy writing". He isn't angry at her, quite the opposite. He lives to please her but she refuses to accept any real help from him that might lead to sacrifice on his part and he resents that.

Also, he didn't leave home just because of his fight with Yasuko but to go with Taiga who didn't want to be taken by her mom remember.
Old 2009-03-25, 19:47   Link #564
Ultenth

They hinted that there was a little issue, not a "I'm going to get married and run away, then she disappears and just leaves a note" kind of issue. It just seems it was waaaaay too big of a reaction to a rather small issue. It seemed very unnatural and forced, which to me really stood out because I thought a lot of the character interactions so far seemed very well done and believable. This however just seemed fake to me.
Old 2009-03-25, 19:57   Link #565
typhonsentra

Again, the fight with Yasuko wasn't the reason he's running away, her complaining about the job was merely the catalyst to get him to tell her off. Look at his face when he sees that he made her cry, he instantly regretted saying it.

He makes it pretty clear when he's talking to Taiga on the bridge that he isn't even angry at her, he's angry at himself for putting her into the situation she's in. ("It'd be better if I wasn't born.") He thinks (At that point in the story) that if she didn't have to worry about him she'd be happier and would be able to lead a better life, possibly even reconciling with her parents. That part might seem stupid/emo to you but everyone has moments of self-pity like this.
Old 2009-03-25, 20:37   Link #566
FireSong

I also disagree with "running away was too sudden". For people to appreciate that, they need to understand the single-parent family, along with many other character traits...

The fact that Ryuuji is mature and stands/thinks on his own very much more than his peers is also a huge plus. Add his age - that he's old enough to do a lot of things - and his resentment at not being able to do anything for himself - as demonstrated clearly in the previous episodes with flashbacks and with Taiga - and it's something coming.

Animes do not flash scenes at all if they aren't important. The timeframe is too short to waste on that, especially in a packed final few episodes.... If you re-watch the series, you would probably pick up the clearly dropped hints all over.

So for me, was Ryuuji out of character? No. Was anybody else out of character? I safely say no. Was the epiosde a surprise because it was chock full of content? Yes.
Old 2009-03-26, 09:32   Link #567
KageNoKaze

*removes hat*

Horie Yui-san doing another Shirakawa Kotori-ish role. Beautifully done, Minorin is indeed the short-haired Kotori.
Old 2009-03-26, 11:07   Link #568
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Sort of knew what this episode would cover already but loved it nonetheless. Can't wait for the final to air here. I'll definitely miss this show and I can say that it is the best anime of 2009 to date.
Old 2009-03-26, 11:32   Link #569
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
This episode failed miseribly to me and totally jumped the shark. All sorts of people acted completely out of character, and the thing with his mom was so retarded and out of character that I just couldn't take it seriously for even a split second. Really cool series up to this point, but this episode failed for me on just about every single level. Is this an anime only episode or something? Because it seems like someone else wrote it, and that someone never watched any of the other episodes.

Are you even old enough to understand the meaning of "jumping the shark"? Real people don't act the exact same every day, we sometimes react badly to things that bother us. I don't see how fictional characters would be any different.
Old 2009-03-27, 10:01   Link #570
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
People tend to act out-of-character when they are in love. Many complainers seems to forget that.
Old 2009-03-27, 11:25   Link #571
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I liked this episode a lot, rated 10/10. The mist has finally cleared, Takasu is with Taiga and more importantly everyone's ok with it
btw...maybe it's the white clothes, but does anyone else think that Taiga looks like Orihime at 22:36? 0_o
Old 2009-03-29, 11:48   Link #572
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
People tend to act out-of-character when they are in love. Many complainers seems to forget that.
QFT!! Thanks for mentioning this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I liked this episode a lot, rated 10/10. The mist has finally cleared, Takasu is with Taiga and more importantly everyone's ok with it
btw...maybe it's the white clothes, but does anyone else think that Taiga looks like Orihime at 22:36? 0_o
Not really since Orihime is...built quite a bit differently than Taiga.

Last edited by Baka Ronin; 2009-03-29 at 11:49. Reason: MOAR
Old 2009-03-29, 12:59   Link #573
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Orihime from Bleach? Er, not at all, not a single bit. Not only are they built completely differently, like the person above wrote, but their hairstyle, hair colour and facial features are all different. The only time Taiga ever reminded me of Orihime was when she was playing with that leek (trying to act as "Cupid") in episode 17.

In the third picture of my signature, I think Taiga looks a bit like Hagu from Honey and Clover. What do you think?
Old 2009-03-30, 19:18   Link #574
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Orihime from Bleach? Er, not at all, not a single bit. Not only are they built completely differently, like the person above wrote, but their hairstyle, hair colour and facial features are all different. The only time Taiga ever reminded me of Orihime was when she was playing with that leek (trying to act as "Cupid") in episode 17.

In the third picture of my signature, I think Taiga looks a bit like Hagu from Honey and Clover. What do you think?
EH? I dont see your sig. Is it just me?
Old 2009-03-30, 19:53   Link #575
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
EH? I dont see your sig. Is it just me?
Probably. I see it just fine.

Old 2009-03-30, 21:49   Link #576
SageGaiGar
You are Next

fish eric, you might need to check your preferences. I noticed when I first started I couldn't see sigs. But I could see them as a guest.
Old 2009-03-30, 22:36   Link #577
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

ok there was an option to turn on signatures. I found it in the user control panel
Old 2009-04-18, 05:26   Link #578
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

I was rewatching the series, and in episode 3, Minori said, "A nosebleed is your heart's sweat!" (AnimeYoshi subs) when she and Ryuuji were trapped in the storeroom and she was hit by a falling box.

She changed it to "A nosebleed is the crying of the heart" in this episode. Since she got a nosebleed while sweating, and now while she's crying, it seems to allude to an association with her hard work and her true feelings. Perhaps part of the reason for her industrious attitude is to hide her feelings, though the main reason is still to get into a sports university.
Closed Thread