AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-08-05, 22:33   Link #1021
Shinguji
Constantly Lurking

White Day is a Japanese holiday that takes place a month after Valentine's Day in Japan, as a day where males return the females' gifts of chocolate.

As for where it fits into Umineko; it is a side-story, somewhat separate from the rest of the story.
Shinguji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 22:36   Link #1022
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

White Day is a Japanese holiday that occurs on March 14th each year (a month after Valentines Day.)It's supposed to be like the "opposite" of Valentines, because it's when the men who recieved chocolate from the women on Valentines return the favor. Beato's White Day is the sequal to another TIPS called The Stakes Valentines Day
Old 2009-08-05, 22:37   Link #1023
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Man, that took me forever to write on my iPod, so I got ninja'd ;_;
Old 2009-08-06, 00:11   Link #1024
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I've said this many times regarding red text but I think it's pretty much confirmed that red text is only viable as hints toward the truth of events when it makes present or past statements of fact. Stating what you will do in red is possible if the statement itself is true, but it doesn't indicate that what will happen will actually happen.

I will kill you is a meaningless statement. It may or may not come true. Proof would come from ep2 where Beatrice starts ordering Battler to kneel and saying she'll love him until he turns to ash etc. These are things she would like to do, not things that are guaranteed to happen.

If Beatrice were to stop the game at the morning of the 4th and declare Kanon is going to kill everyone on the island by the morning of the 6th! I don't think we can take that as a guarantee that it absolutely will happen because the "game" is still in play, so to speak. If Beatrice is allowed to just say whatever the hell she wants and have it be true eventually it isn't really a "game" they're playing, is it? Plus it would wreck the prevailing ep3 theory to explain Nanjo's death since that relies on the red statements confirming death to only be true at the moment they're declared and thereafter.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 03:28   Link #1025
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

This talk of chess made something tug at my mind. What if the epitaph is related to chess? I can't figure it out yet, but there are a few supporting lines that point to chess. I can't figure out how a river will fit into it yet, nor what would be the key.

Spoiler for lines from the epitaph:

Of course this is just random musing from me, but it keeps tugging on the back of my mind. If anyone has an idea, maybe they can prove/disprove this line of thinking.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 03:45   Link #1026
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Problem is that the king is the last piece to surrender in the game. If you can corner the king (checkmate) the game ends. The key would be the player.

The second twight might be a specific move (such as one that switches the rook and king's positions), but if you only have 6 pawns out that would be difficult. The six might just be the first six moves.

One possible goal would be to get a pawn onto the other side of the board, thus it would be turned into a queen, probably the most devistating pieces one can have. This might be what happens to the ones who become witches (Eva, Maria, maybe Ange). But the chances of getting a pawn all the way across aren't that good considering how long it takes to get there and that you have enemy pieces in the way.

Another thought is that they might be playing a variation of chess (not the standard rules or perhaps even the number of pieces). In which case different boards might represent different styles of play. Lambdadelta suggests this sort of as how Bern won their last game.
Old 2009-08-06, 04:17   Link #1027
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Why is it these interpretations of the epitaph always forget the Third Twilight? Admittedly, except in ep1, so does the killer... but you better have an explanation for what it means.

Going by the chess analogy, "praise my name on high" = promotion to queen? But Eva promotes before the Second Twilight...
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 04:35   Link #1028
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They could still be doing it wrong. Maybe that the Castling move. (switch could also be a body switch)
Old 2009-08-06, 05:54   Link #1029
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Why is it these interpretations of the epitaph always forget the Third Twilight? Admittedly, except in ep1, so does the killer... but you better have an explanation for what it means.

Going by the chess analogy, "praise my name on high" = promotion to queen? But Eva promotes before the Second Twilight...
Not that I forgot it, I wasn't able to think of an equivalent yet. I'm also trying to translate it as a riddle, but hit a dead end.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 07:14   Link #1030
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
This talk of chess made something tug at my mind. What if the epitaph is related to chess? I can't figure it out yet, but there are a few supporting lines that point to chess. I can't figure out how a river will fit into it yet, nor what would be the key.

Of course this is just random musing from me, but it keeps tugging on the back of my mind. If anyone has an idea, maybe they can prove/disprove this line of thinking.
I've been thinking about that a LOT, but I can't really make much sense out of it. the tear apart the two who are close could be the castle since with that move you separate the King and Queen. However the problem is this can't be a chess match, because in a chess match you have an opponent, here you just get what you must do, and without knowing the moves of the opponent you can't do much.

And there's also the problem with the Head, chest, stomach, knee, feet.

You could say the head is the king, the knee is the knight and feet is the pawn. But chest and stomach aren't that clearly related to the rook and the bishop.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 07:55   Link #1031
Kibou
Clueless

Well, the chest could actually fit fairly well for the rook, if you think about it. This sounds kind of awkward, but your chest is a fairly well protected area that presents a wall between major organs and danger. And of course a rook essentially represents a wall. o.O

One could also look at a bishop as a giver of spiritual satisfaction. And satisfaction could be linked to being not hungry, thus the stomach. o.O Plus the whole idea of fasting to become closer to your choosen god. Thus bishop = stomach doesn't really sound all that far off in my book.

But both of those are kind of philosophical interpretations. I guess, though so are the rest for that.
Kibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 11:32   Link #1032
Antera Caramichael
French Maid

Well, the stomach is full of acid. That is the reason why a hit in the stomach is a lethal wound. Losing a bishop is pretty unfavorable because it limitate in a great way your possible moves. It is a possible interpretation.
Antera Caramichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 11:35   Link #1033
Azure Flane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
White Day is a Japanese holiday that occurs on March 14th each year (a month after Valentines Day.)It's supposed to be like the "opposite" of Valentines, because it's when the men who recieved chocolate from the women on Valentines return the favor. Beato's White Day is the sequal to another TIPS called The Stakes Valentines Day
Thanks, I had heard of it but wasn't clear on the details. And I just started playing episode 1, so when do these side stories appear?
Azure Flane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 11:37   Link #1034
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Flane View Post
Thanks, I had heard of it but wasn't clear on the details. And I just started playing episode 1, so when do these side stories appear?
Both this and Stake's Valentine's Day are from EP4. So somewhere around there, it's kinda vague
Volcanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 19:50   Link #1035
Shamisen
Talking Cat

My guess is that they won't explain the answer to the Epitaph until EP 7, which would be the corresponding answer arc to EP 3 where Eva solves the riddle.
Shamisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 19:56   Link #1036
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamisen View Post
My guess is that they won't explain the answer to the Epitaph until EP 7, which would be the corresponding answer arc to EP 3 where Eva solves the riddle.
Actually, there's been speculation that there will only be 7 Episodes...but yeah, even so they'll probably reveal the answer then.

If it's really based off chess, I can't wait to see Battler's reaction,
Volcanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 02:42   Link #1037
Darklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post

I like this line of thinking.

Spoiler for ...:
Darklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 10:25   Link #1038
Marina2

Does new girl have any fan's nick names? I'm trying to searh for her fan art, but I have no idea what name should I use to search.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 10:32   Link #1039
Kitsu
The unlucky one

ep5肖像画

might be the most effective way of searching
Old 2009-08-08, 10:50   Link #1040
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

I just had to post a kinda stupid thought that I came up with last night (It probably already has been speculated somewhere but I haven't seen it) So don't say it's stupid since I already came up with that the second I got the thought

Anyways...
Spoiler for EP2 characters and EP3 spoilers:
Golden Witch Drugs is offline   Reply With Quote