AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 13 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 195 43.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 18.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 60 13.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 36 7.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 4.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 2.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 7 1.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 24 5.30%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-25, 23:30   Link #121
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
why is it so difficult to believed/accept that TIME in the real world and TIME in the afterlife flows differently?
Well, i can understand that, but there wouldve been a little culture shock if that was made more apparent i guess. It just isnt the first thng id think to make sense of it all considering the circumstances.
Old 2010-06-25, 23:30   Link #122
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

This show was nothing special in terms of plot...but somehow, I loved it XD. And it made me cry.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-06-25, 23:30   Link #123
pampz21
ShipCore

shet can't get the anime out of my head...!!! i keep watching and watching the last ep...shet which this will go away after a good night sleep!

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2010-06-25, 23:33   Link #124
NeoDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
I think this pretty much describes the whole show
Eh, don't get me wrong, i still liked the show, and think its one of the better shows this season, but the time restraint on this show was just too much for the plot they wanted. The Shadow subpoint was just one of them
Old 2010-06-25, 23:34   Link #125
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt122005 View Post
this was really disappointing for me. A real let down.

There are so many problems with the script. >.<

1. Yuri said that nobody who commits suicide comes to the school. But...why? It makes no sense now. If they are dead, and they are there at that school to come to terms with their bad life..... Then wouldn't there be a ton of suicide victims there?! I mean.... Suicide victims i would suspect had unhappy lives and would need to come to terms with their lives, right? They more than anyone were so unhappy with "living" that they ended life themselves.
The people in the school had all fought against the obstacles in their life. For those people that never gave up, "god" made this place to live the childhood they dreamed of. Commiting suicide pretty much means to give up fighting. They forfeight not only the fight but even the next day of their lives, which could have turned out for the better. So they are very different kinds of people, those who fight to live and those who escape in death.

2. How did kanade who got otanashi's heart, find herself at the school long before otanashi got there?Who can say how long it took Otonashi's soul to reach that place? His soul could have been wandering in limbo for 10 years untill he reached that place.

3. If they are dead, then how the heck can kanade say "your heart is beating right here." no it's not. Your dead. It would be dead too. The same way dirt turns into guns... Magic!

4. How can otanashi's body react to the heart? It's dead! But....if we somehow think that they were in a coma, and they just never showed it..... Wait.... That won't work either. Why? Because otanashi doesn't even have a heart! So how can a guy without a heart (supposedly dead) have a body that can react to an equally should be dead heart inside a donor girl? How can anyone's body "react to their heart" when it's in someone elses body? The same way a person can turn their limbs into blades and sprout wings from their back... Magic!

5. If they are all dead.... Then what the heck was up with yui and hinata's storyline? We saw future flashbacks of hinata coming to yui's bedside while she was still paralyzed. What? Was that an lsd, pcp, angel dust (rofl) induced flashback? >.< if they are dead, then that makes the hinataxyui pairing far less romantic. That wasn't a flashback. It was Yui's dream, to find someone who would accept her even in her disabled body. Nobody knows what kind of life she was reborn into.

6. God..... Remember him? His name was behind the graduation banner in the last episode. Yup.... We sure got to know more about that plot.....didn't we....By the end it didn't matter any more, who he is and what he does. It was about Yurippe, Kanade, Otonashi etc, not about god. Yurippe understood that she is free to live her own life by her own choices, and that is what defines her fate, not some plan by god.

7. The matrix overseer.... What? Did key finally watch the matrix reloaded and decid to pay homage? There was hardly any explanation for this or meaning.Are you talking about the guy who coded angel player or some other vague persona who runs this world? If you mean the AP coder, he was just another character like Otonashi. Lived a fulfilling life, wandered into that world due to amnesia, helped the people living there, met a girl like Otonashi met Kanade, she moved on and he didn't. He went crazy and made the shadow system, so anyone who falls in love wont fall in the same trap he did. He represents the opposite of Otonashi, who decided to move on eventually instead of waiting forever in that world for Kanade to come back again. What difference would it make if we knew his name and appearance? All you need to take from that story is that people like him and Otonashi appear accidentally every once in a while in that world and help the people living there to move on.

8. The characters in the last episode..... Seriously?! All of them changed on the dime. I mean, everyone but hinata changed. You could barely recognize yuri, otanashi, or kanade at all. Did the creators decide to have us suspend belief and pretend that a tremendous amount of character development had suddenly occurred during the brief off screen time? Lol Kanade's developement happened gradually, which was apparent as she was being integrated into the team starting from the moment she killed the fish. Yurippe's development happened in the previous episode. She had a revelation, her enemies had gone, or to be more precise they never existed. Her circumstances, her outlook on life, and even her cosmic theory had changed. She became the person she would have been all along if if she had known what she just learned. Aoi was the same way he's been since he was turned; a prick to everyone and a worshipper for Otonashi. Only Otonashi's outbreak at the end was out of the ordinary, because alot of "out of the ordinary" things had just happened. Not out of character, just a different aspect of the same character

9. So what happened? I mean it... What in the world happened at the end? Guess what... We still don't know. Why? Because they wouldn't tell us. Reincarnation? Comas? Evil shadow monster locke? Oh wait...strike that last one. Wrong show. >_>They were all reborn in the real world, and Otonashi met Kanade again

for a show that started out with a lot of potential, and coming from the studio that created a masterpiece like clannad, this was indeed a let down.

There are so many loose ends it's ridiculous.

The only thing more ridiculous are the comments being left on a certain website where people are saying "this is the best anime ever made in the history of anime!"

>_>

yeah....somehow i feel i'll have to disagree with them on that statement.
No need to get caught up in details that don't matter.
Old 2010-06-25, 23:56   Link #126
Kakkou
Tch.

Okay ending, wasted potential due to the lack of time and overly large cast. It did not meet up to the hype it generated but still was decent. I really liked what Yuzuru was wearing at the very end. I want that.

My regret when watching this episode is that I've been poisoned by the nico video of a Kamiya Hiroshi imposter singing Ren'ai Circulation as Izaya. Both instances of Yuzuru saying "se no..." immediately made me imagine the next line being "demo sonna n ja dame~" XD

Also, I want to eat mapo tofu.
Old 2010-06-26, 00:06   Link #127
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

In my opinion, I think the real problem here was not the series itself, but the massive hype surrounding the series. I know the show is deserving of the criticism, and it certainly could have been handled in a better way. But I can't help feeling that a lot of people expected much more out of the show than they got, and that may be their fault more than the production staffs.

As for me, I prefer to just take it for what it is. Makes life better that way. I guess you could say ignorance is bliss?
Old 2010-06-26, 00:07   Link #128
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

now all we need is 4 years for a remake
Old 2010-06-26, 00:10   Link #129
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
In my opinion, I think the real problem here was not the series itself, but the massive hype surrounding the series. I know the show is deserving of the criticism, and it certainly could have been handled in a better way. But I can't help feeling that a lot of people expected much more out of the show than they got, and that may be their fault more than the production staffs.
On one hand, I agree with you. Maybe I did expect too much from it. But on the other hand, it was so stunningly horrible that I can't believe it was made by the same people as Kanon/Air/Clannad (and it could have easily been so much better i.e. getting rid of the major ADD the show had, not trying to go for jokes at inappropriate times, etc.)

EDIT: In fact, I'm going to take what you said about the series' hype and flip it the other way around. I believe people think too highly of this series just because of Maeda Jun and Keys' name all over it.
Old 2010-06-26, 00:25   Link #130
roankun
Tsundere Lover

A total WTF episode.

It was seriously painful... Yuri suddenly turned into a real tsundere (and yes, I know, character development crap, but still, one episode doesnt cut it). And I have a lot of other complaints, but the biggest one is Otonashi.

That 'I love you Kanade' came out of nowhere. I really thought he loved her, but only like the sister he used to have. It looked like that! That being that sort of love is just... just... I can't accept it. (And that's not just because I'm a YurixOtonashi shipper.)

In short, this episode disappointed me. In long :P, I expected too much, but didnt get what I expected. No, I did not expect much from this because it's a KEY work. I didnt like Air, haven't watched Kanon, and liked CLANNAD enough to watch Afterstory, but it didnt make a big impact on me so I decided not to think of it as a KEY work. The reason I expected much from it is because of the awesome first episodes. Having this sort of ending is kind of unacceptable, but they already did it...

They still could have turned it into a 24 episode series... I wouldn't have minded going through each character's background...

Anyway, I rated this ep as painful. Because it's true. I'm not saying it's bad or a very bad episode. Just that it was painful to watch.
Old 2010-06-26, 00:26   Link #131
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
In fact, I'm going to take what you said about the series' hype and flip it the other way around. I believe people think too highly of this series just because of Maeda Jun and Keys' name all over it.
Which was the whole point: They were trying to create something popular. The show was advertised as being popular even before it aired. All the blogs, the PVs, and the giant expensive advertisements kept pushing the message that THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT SHOW, WATCH IT OR ELSE YOU'LL NEVER BE TRENDY.

They succeeded in creating something popular, sure. Too bad they didn't spend just a little more time creating something watchable.
Old 2010-06-26, 00:33   Link #132
Perseid

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiftis View Post
Upon seeing that Otonashi also got "reincarnated" to the real world at the end, my thoughts are like this:

Otonashi: Stay with me, Kanade. We'll guide the new kids coming here.
Kanade: Sorry but no. K thx bai. *disappears*
Otonashi: ;__; Screw the new kids, who cares about them. My romantic excuse just failed, so I'm gonna disappear too now.
Not necessarily. We don't know how much time passed between Kanade disappearing and the final ending. If we're buying the idea that time doesn't matter in their purgatory(which I guess we have to), he could have stayed there guiding kids for milennia.
Old 2010-06-26, 00:36   Link #133
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Which was the whole point: They were trying to create something popular. The show was advertised as being popular even before it aired. All the blogs, the PVs, and the giant expensive advertisements kept pushing the message that THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT SHOW, WATCH IT OR ELSE YOU'LL NEVER BE TRENDY.

They succeeded in creating something popular, sure. Too bad they didn't spend just a little more time creating something watchable.
Thank you for agreeing with me I was afraid to post that since I thought I was just going to get a bunch of "DONT HATE ON R PRECIUS KANADE-CHAN U HATER!!!!
Old 2010-06-26, 00:42   Link #134
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post
That 'I love you Kanade' came out of nowhere. I really thought he loved her, but only like the sister he used to have. It looked like that! That being that sort of love is just... just... I can't accept it.
I'm sorry you can't accept it, but it was built up since episode five. Nothing about Otonashi's awkward demeanor when interacting with Kanade ever implied that he saw her as a sister. It implied he wanted to be closer to her, and that being closer to her was important enough that he had a stake in actually doing so. He spent more one-on-one time with her than anyone else in the series. He was defensive of her to the point where other people in the SSS picked up on it. None of this corresponds with how he saw his sister in the flashbacks we saw of her.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2010-06-26, 00:51   Link #135
TadloS

Decent final. At least OtonashixKanade scene was pretty emotional.

I have to agree with people that Angel Beats supposed to be 24-26 episodes length long. 13 episodes was clearly not enough.

Overall, I enjoyed Angel Beats. Personally for me it was enjoyable series with good characters and nice animation. 8/10
Old 2010-06-26, 00:52   Link #136
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

While this series did have some serious pacing issues, i have to accept that after seeing this episode I find this series to have one of the most tightly strung themes I've seen in all my years of anime watching. While Maeda story could have used a little (a lot) more exposition, the director did pick the plot points that were most representative of the message the author wanted to convey, and from that POV, this series is just masterful.
Old 2010-06-26, 01:01   Link #137
AnimeFreak9798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Otonashi actually wanted to stay in this world with Kanade after the others leave? Did this actually happen? If it did Otonashi is sured one messed up person.
More like a Lolicon
Old 2010-06-26, 01:02   Link #138
Wigwams

lets just look forward for the Visual Novel!!! or remake/season 2.

it was OK for me. so much material could have been used, but again 13 eps just did not cut it...

kinda weird how his heart ended up with kanade, but he arrived way later. but trying to make sense of it is silly, so i wont.
Old 2010-06-26, 01:07   Link #139
CCLemon

I guess I'm not the only one who thought Otonashi was going to become the Endless Sorcerer NPC after Kanade left? I guess Maeda was trying to say, "THIS time, the lovers got the GOOD END".

Eh, sort of wish they expounded more on Otonashi's passing. Watching Otonashi flail his arms around the last we see of him in the afterlife was sort of painful.

I'm sort of depressed at the fact that the existence of Angel Beats means Little Busters stands less chance of getting animated.

Last edited by CCLemon; 2010-06-26 at 01:08. Reason: So I don't have to double post
Old 2010-06-26, 01:15   Link #140
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As far as being a feel-good ending I'll have to admit they did it very well, cause they wouldn't be Key if they didn't.

But as an adequate ending with adequate closure... well it's not so much the fault of the ending as the rest of the series itself. An ending can only do so much because the way it ends depends on the way you get there. Watching the finale I really can't but feel like so much has been left hanging and that there really could have been so much more if they were given the time. It's almost like getting a mashed slice of pie that only has the crust and half the fillings. I can tell that if they got more time and money, and maybe a different studio, something completely fantastic could have come out of this entire debacle.

At the end of the series I can only smell the potential, and barely smelling it is a whole lot different from tasting it. The potential was huge and it really fucking saddens me that the full potential could not be brought out.

As Proto pointed out they at least managed to pick up the core themes they wanted to present nearing the last 3rd of the series but for me it only barely managed to salvage the series from being an utter travesty. For what it's worth, what Maeda and co. decided to (finally?) stick with towards the end they handled it with the typical flare and and style I've come to expect from them, but really whatever they managed to pull out does not do justice to the rest of the way the series was handled.

This is practically Kanon 2003 all over again. This series needs a Kanon 2006 reboot somewhere down the line. On it's first and currently only incarnation, it's just average for me.
Closed Thread