AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-01-09, 08:44   Link #3081
B2-Lancer

I was watching on Retro-TV this weekend a once uber-popular TV show that gave me an idea of one sneaky way how Haruhi's writer could wrap up the series without contradicting any physical laws or skewed time-lines or flawed story logic laced throughout the show. This top-rated iconic TV show managed to literally and credibly wipe out an ENTIRE season like all the intrigue and drama in it never happened without losing fans! Does anyone here recall "Dallas"?? For me, the real teaser that the writer could use to keep us watching after cleverly hinting such for a few chapters would be the question, is it Kyon or Haruhi??
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 09:36   Link #3082
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
I was watching on Retro-TV this weekend a once uber-popular TV show that gave me an idea of one sneaky way how Haruhi's writer could wrap up the series without contradicting any physical laws or skewed time-lines or flawed story logic laced throughout the show. This top-rated iconic TV show managed to literally and credibly wipe out an ENTIRE season like all the intrigue and drama in it never happened without losing fans! Does anyone here recall "Dallas"?? For me, the real teaser that the writer could use to keep us watching after cleverly hinting such for a few chapters would be the question, is it Kyon or Haruhi??
As one of who is likely only a few regulars on this forum who was actually old enough to be cognizant back when Dallas pulled that, I can safely say that they did lose fans. Even though the series went on another four years by dint of sheer inertia, and likely regained a few of the more rabid Bobby Ewing fans that left when he did, that was arguably the moment it jumped the shark.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2011-01-09 at 09:47.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 19:28   Link #3083
Goggen

Quote:
"It was all a dream". You really think that would be "clever" or "sneaky"?
Goggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 21:14   Link #3084
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
"It was all a dream". You really think that would be "clever" or "sneaky"?
I think it would explain a HECK of a lot.
Old 2011-01-09, 23:07   Link #3085
brocko

I think it'd be a lazy cop-out But hey, it's been done twice before in Melancholy and Disappearance already right? The series still seems to be chugging on strong after that, so dream on i say!

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 00:05   Link #3086
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I think it'd be a lazy cop-out But hey, it's been done twice before in Melancholy and Disappearance already right? The series still seems to be chugging on strong after that, so dream on i say!
Quite the opposite, actually. In Melancholy, it was "just a dream" for Haruhi, but it still happened, and was very real for (most of?) the remainder of the main cast, especially the audience POV character, Kyon. In Disappearance, the question as to whether it really happened is purely a matter of semantics, but it was still very real to Kyon (and the two three two others who visited that "world" for a short time), not to mention Yuki, who probably remembers the experience from a number of perspectives.
Old 2011-01-10, 03:40   Link #3087
brocko

I knew someone was bound to pick my joke apart lol

I just wanted to make a jestful parallel between the end cover-up stories for both Melancholy and Disappearance with typical "it was all a dream" type scenario's, where everything conviently reverts back to their original status quo or where ground-breaking events are rendered rather moot.

In Melancholy:
What? You saw the world in the process of being recreated? Nah man, it was all just a dream. I mean we still here ain't we?
In Disappearance:
What? You saw and lived in a different world to ours for a few days? Nah man, you just bumped your head and fell down some stairs, you were probably dreaming it all up in your coma.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 12:20   Link #3088
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I knew someone was bound to pick my joke apart lol

I just wanted to make a jestful parallel between the end cover-up stories for both Melancholy and Disappearance with typical "it was all a dream" type scenario's, where everything conviently reverts back to their original status quo or where ground-breaking events are rendered rather moot.

In Melancholy:
What? You saw the world in the process of being recreated? Nah man, it was all just a dream. I mean we still here ain't we?
In Disappearance:
What? You saw and lived in a different world to ours for a few days? Nah man, you just bumped your head and fell down some stairs, you were probably dreaming it all up in your coma.
I think kenny was just trying to dispel the notion that those dreams were "a lazy cop out". The "dreams" are crucial pillars for the story, and are much more than a lazy plot direction. "And in the end, Kyon was just having a bad dream" is a horrifying way to end the story, but in Haruhi's dreams, the world better be praying.

But I get your joke. Shit, Kyon dreaming within his dreams? Reminds me of a certain movie out there...
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 13:46   Link #3089
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
I think kenny was just trying to dispel the notion that those dreams were "a lazy cop out". The "dreams" are crucial pillars for the story, and are much more than a lazy plot direction..
I can't rattle them off, but there are animes that falter and fall under the weight of their own contradictions and Swiss cheese logic and cascade of detached events which really continue on under the momentum of more zealot fans, as I believe is occuring with Haruhi, even long before "Endless Eight". I think when writers leave it up to their readers to tie up loose ends and make rational sense of a sly unthought-out potboiler, it's time to review just where this roller coaster is going. Hit writers DO get lazy and take nondiscriminating readers for granted to swallow whatever thoughtless crap they shovel them to milk all from a cash cow as they could. I'm sure we all know favorite TV shows that just should've wrapped up and ended with their heads and drama high ("Babylon 5)" than continue into a pathetic senseless lame shadow of their former selves (orig Star Trek and Galactica). Long ago I doubted Haruhi was any "God" since she presented notions that contradicted her own existance and then this crowd of hyper-beings marching in and bewildering "reasonings" to excuse senseless situations and truely non-functional characters. To me, it's the sign of writers running out of credible (not necessarily plausible) story ideas throwing nonsense against the wall and hoping it sticks. I think one satisfying ending to the series' present bemusing confusion state is a "dream-bridge" scenario where all this action is actually occuring in a shared dream of Haruhi and Kyon. I believe Kyon is at very least the "generator" (or the clueless God) of such a dream because to my knowledge there's never been a scene where Haruhi or other characters are operating without his presence or observation. It would be a clever romance gimmick if this gimmick were a way for Kyon to eventually meet an unmet Haruhi "in the flesh" and still be as familiar with another asthough they were always together when it's all over (hope I'm stating this right). Of course all IMHO.
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 20:10   Link #3090
wistfulloner

Quote:
I can't rattle them off, but there are animes that falter and fall under the weight of their own contradictions and Swiss cheese logic and cascade of detached events which really continue on under the momentum of more zealot fans, as I believe is occuring with Haruhi, even long before "Endless Eight". I think when writers leave it up to their readers to tie up loose ends and make rational sense of a sly unthought-out potboiler, it's time to review just where this roller coaster is going. Hit writers DO get lazy and take nondiscriminating readers for granted to swallow whatever thoughtless crap they shovel them to milk all from a cash cow as they could. I'm sure we all know favorite TV shows that just should've wrapped up and ended with their heads and drama high ("Babylon 5)" than continue into a pathetic senseless lame shadow of their former selves (orig Star Trek and Galactica). Long ago I doubted Haruhi was any "God" since she presented notions that contradicted her own existance and then this crowd of hyper-beings marching in and bewildering "reasonings" to excuse senseless situations and truely non-functional characters. To me, it's the sign of writers running out of credible (not necessarily plausible) story ideas throwing nonsense against the wall and hoping it sticks. I think one satisfying ending to the series' present bemusing confusion state is a "dream-bridge" scenario where all this action is actually occuring in a shared dream of Haruhi and Kyon. I believe Kyon is at very least the "generator" (or the clueless God) of such a dream because to my knowledge there's never been a scene where Haruhi or other characters are operating without his presence or observation. It would be a clever romance gimmick if this gimmick were a way for Kyon to eventually meet an unmet Haruhi "in the flesh" and still be as familiar with another asthough they were always together when it's all over (hope I'm stating this right). Of course all IMHO.
Before you say Kyoani are running out of ideas, it would help to know that every plot direction was pre-planned from season 1. You will notice this from endless junk piling up in the club house even from the beginning episodes and their relevance to future (or past, with the episode jumping) events.

And Haruhi isn't technically a God; even Yuki and Mikuru have different views on what she is. Haruhi is just a being with reality changing powers, its up to you what you want to call her. Furthermore, this is science fiction, its as un-grounded from reality as it gets.

I like that extremely cheesy ending of yours, but unless Kyoani decides to throw a curveball I can't see that happening
Old 2011-01-17, 21:56   Link #3091
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Before you say Kyoani are running out of ideas, it would help to know that every plot direction was pre-planned from season 1. You will notice this from endless junk piling up in the club house even from the beginning episodes and their relevance to future (or past, with the episode jumping) events.
That's easy enough to do when seven of the novels were written before the anime even started. (Kyoani aren't the ones writing the stories.)
Old 2011-01-18, 02:06   Link #3092
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
That's easy enough to do when seven of the novels were written before the anime even started. (Kyoani aren't the ones writing the stories.)
Yup, and that's exactly why they won't run out of ideas. Kyoani were just being smart leaving those small details around.
Old 2011-01-18, 07:09   Link #3093
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Yup, and that's exactly why they won't run out of ideas. Kyoani were just being smart leaving those small details around.
Can I ask what happens if the author starts to run out of ideas?
Old 2011-01-18, 08:06   Link #3094
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Can I ask what happens if the author starts to run out of ideas?
I imagine you'd get things like Anti-SOS Brigades. Or maybe he'd try to get away with using the same story twice in the same book, only with slightly altered plots?

Last edited by Gamer_2k4; 2011-01-18 at 08:17.
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 08:21   Link #3095
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
I imagine you'd get things like Anti-SOS Brigades.
Isn't that what the Computer Club is for?
Old 2011-01-18, 10:38   Link #3096
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
I imagine you'd get things like Anti-SOS Brigades. Or maybe he'd try to get away with using the same story twice in the same book, only with slightly altered plots?

It took me a minute to figure out the second reference part.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 10:40   Link #3097
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Isn't that what the Computer Club is for?
No, he was sarcastically referring to volume 9.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 10:43   Link #3098
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
No, he was sarcastically referring to volume 9.
I'm aware. I was making my own little joke.
Old 2011-01-18, 20:37   Link #3099
Goggen

Quote:
How is that "running out of ideas"?
Goggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 01:02   Link #3100
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
How is that "running out of ideas"?
Well, we've got an alien, an esper, a time traveler, and a girl who some think is God who generates closed space. Their opposition? Surely it's something brilliant and original?

Oh. It's an alien, an esper, a time traveler, and a girl who some think is God who generates closed space. Wonderful. Good to see he's keeping it fresh.

As for the other one, I would say it's pretty obvious that you're running out of ideas if the only way you can fill up a book is by using a single story twice. "Sure, but this is a new way of doing things! It's innovative!" you say. Perhaps I'd buy that if it didn't take the author FOUR YEARS to write a conclusion.

2003 - 3 books
2004 - 2 books
2005 - 2 books
2006 - 1 book
2007 - 1 book
2008 - 0 books
2009 - 0 books
2010 - 0 books

See a pattern?

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen