Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-20, 14:00   Link #61
MarmoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
I think I'm more outraged by the sheer awfulness of this news/media report than the murder and its unsustainable and unsupportable pop-psychology explanations.
I wonder why in tv there are almost always psychologists (often professors) whose analysis and theories are worth not much more than middlescholer's homework. :/
Old 2007-09-20, 14:05   Link #62
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Blaming violent anime or games for murders is even more stupid than suing the murder weapon for the murder. It's as if these imbeciles believe that the perpetrators never knew the notion of murder existed before playing a certain game or watching a certain anime. If one needs ideas how to commit a murder he needs only to watch the daily news bulletin.

The idiocy of the whole situation is mindblowing. Hello, the most widely read author of the 20th century (judging by the number of sold books) happens to be Agatha Christie, whose books are always about murders and the modus operandi of the murderer is always described in detail. But has anyone heard of a journalist calling for mystery novels to be banned? How bloody hypocritical and retarded can the media get?

Old 2007-09-20, 14:06   Link #63
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist View Post
What the hell? did you guys copy pasta from 4 chan or you guys posy on 4 chan as well
Shhhh....remember Anonymous...

Quote:
Anyway, it's like 9-11, company are always pussy when it comes to these matters so that's no surprise. Although I am royally piss that I have to wait for the Dvd to find out all the answers. On the other hand, calling the death of the axe girl would just feed those faggot reporters who usually know absolutely nothing about everything. I swear that we need to look at what kind of crap those journalism school are teaching our kids to see if they are not wasting their parents' money
I can understand what the companies are trying to do but it's the media thats blowing all the anti-anime stuff up. stupid journalism whores...

Quote:
BTW, I hope that ATX would air it, seeing it is a private channel (like cable? right?)
Heres really really hoping that happens...

Quote:
But has anyone heard of a journalist calling for mystery novels to be banned? How bloody hypocritical and retarded can the media get?
A few hundred years ago I would've said yea... If history teaches us anything it's that people will always blame everything except for the person really responsible...

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2007-09-20 at 14:43.
Old 2007-09-20, 14:15   Link #64
Mappy
Eat This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmoO View Post
I wonder why in tv there are almost always psychologists (often professors) whose analysis and theories are worth not much more than middlescholer's homework. :/
I think you've just answered your question: because their work in the field of psychiatry/psychology is mediocre at best (or wannabe at worst), and they need to do something else to rake in the $$$. Something I've experienced first-hand through the convention circles in the field of autism and asperger syndrome here in Australia. But that's getting well off-topic (not to mention potentially libelous), so I'll stop here.

Most of the time, though, the media won't need anyone with even the slightest knowledge of the subject to make such comments, especially if it doesn't help to feed the snowballing frenzy of the story, which is what is happening, right now, with the linking of this murder to events in Higurashi. And all it took were a couple of people making jokes about it on 2chan.
Old 2007-09-20, 14:23   Link #65
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
And all it took were a couple of people making jokes about it on 2chan.
Heres an idea! Someone go over to 2chan and start blaming everything on outside influences of other nations. That should fix everything...oh wait.
Old 2007-09-20, 14:31   Link #66
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
LOL I was wondering why three pages of posts disappeared from the Q&A

Meh, I don't blame TVT for their postponing the episode, what with some things that have happened on the show in the past and all, and seeing how this series still has 14 or so eps to go, they will probably air the ep next week. Bleh still a bummer and a bit frustrating to see the media blow things out of proportion instead of trying to find a solution (not that there always is one, unfortunately). The YouTube video reminded me of when the London bombings happened and they took a model city and put colorful cards complete with explosion sound effect at each area of the city where there was an incident. Such a serious story but with all these colorful visuals...Just interesting to see how news is covered on Japanese TV.

Thanks to klash and the others providing us with news sources.
Old 2007-09-20, 14:33   Link #67
Mappy
Eat This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Heres an idea! Someone go over to 2chan and start blaming everything on outside influences of other nations. That should fix everything...oh wait.
Hehe.

It is, in current retrospect, a silly thing to have done, but they couldn't have imagined what would have come from it when they made the comments, so I'm not really blaming them. I'd made a similar allusion on a local anime forum as a joke, so I'd be a hypocrite to state otherwise.

The Japanese media, in fact all media, would, after this kind of event, have been trawling websites for anything they could use to keep said story snowballing, and one of them happened upon these little gems on 2chan. So I suppose you can't really blame them, either. I mean, if it were your job, you'd probably do it, too.
Old 2007-09-20, 14:41   Link #68
ayukanon45
Doujin Music Composer

Send a message via MSN to ayukanon45
im looking foward to the movie of the axe girl murder
coming soon to a theater near you
Old 2007-09-20, 14:45   Link #69
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayukanon45 View Post
im looking foward to the movie of the axe girl murder
coming soon to a theater near you
You beat me to it.
Old 2007-09-20, 15:06   Link #70
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
How bloody hypocritical and retarded can the media get?
The same reason why Japanese people mock the media as massgomi

footnote:
The media is known as masskomi in Japan, which comes from the word "mass communication." As with any other first world country, the media is filled with bunch of baseless bullshit so Japanese people mock it with the word massgomi, where the word "gomi" means trash.

Which reminds me, I think I'll add this to the otaku lingo thread.
Old 2007-09-20, 15:44   Link #71
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
You want the reportage? here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KRbodCk7c
Absolutely shameless! *shakes head*
Old 2007-09-20, 15:47   Link #72
BakaOnna

I'm getting really worried after reading this thread. They're not going to actually cancel the show right? Because of the whole "connections" with the ax and girl murdering her dad. I mean, if she killed him with a katana, then wouldn't actions shows with swords like Claymore or Bleach be canceled as well? This is ridiculous. It's ridiculous and simply human ignorance to blame media for a person's actions.
Old 2007-09-20, 15:57   Link #73
CJL13
God of his own ego

Where did you get news it might be canceled?
Old 2007-09-20, 16:09   Link #74
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
I can see why journalists are making a big deal if this. Don't deny it, this is a hot story. A teenage girl hacks her Dad in half: something you'd hear in a movie or anime or book or whatever, eh? And Higurashi 12 wasn't pulled because it was "violent", to my understanding, it's not -- it was pulled because it had the media-vultures all over it. If that's the case, which I'm sure it is, I'm doubtful anyone else will air it, or episode 13. :/ School Days' wasn't pulled because it has no one from the media pointing the finger at it, in other words, no one's bothering to sit down and watch it to see the simlarities.

Also, uh, honestly, this sounds more Higurashi than School Days, to me at least. Small details aside, I don't recall an axe/cleaver/hatchet whatever in School Days. Correct me if I'm wrong. xD; Sounds pretty "Rena" to me. You can't blame Higurashi directly for this no, but you can say it inspired her. We've got no proof supporting either claim, however, so until the girl actually gives a detailed "report" of what was happening, I'm doubtful Higurashi will be airing. I do hope I'm wrong though. ;_;'

EDIT: NVM about the School Days bit, Stupidity came and hit me in the head.

tumblr | i don't have any other links to post here, whoops

Last edited by Kyanme; 2007-09-20 at 16:12. Reason: added some correcting of myself
Old 2007-09-20, 16:12   Link #75
shigure asa

Send a message via MSN to shigure asa
translate of this thread is on niconico~~ 'nice food'!!

i didn't read the description and thought 'i read this before right? right?' until seeing klashikari's signature at 1:04 -3-
Old 2007-09-20, 16:15   Link #76
bayoab

Hate to derail the paranoia train but they do not blame it on Higurashi in that clip. They mention that it is being compared to Higurashi on the internet, the case back in march which was related to a manga, and then the guy explicitly says "We can't go directly saying the show was the cause..." The lady who speaks after him also basically says 'it's not like higurashi is the only series with violence'.
Old 2007-09-20, 16:19   Link #77
MarthX

That's good but as long as they mention the two together it will give Higurashi a bad image, and as long as it has a bad image networks will be too scared to air it.
Old 2007-09-20, 16:22   Link #78
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That's correct. the problem is that they protrayed the game just like a big possible way to be a relevant source of the girl... "madness".
While they indeed said it isn't the diret cause of it, the manner and how it is exposed has already done an impact on the watchers.

it is like a politician speech about a huge idea, but talking sneakely of the reversed edge of it later on. the mass just can get "huge idea" without the additional information etc.

Due the striking similarities, this kind of "suggestion" can be considered as "information".
These watchers are then as idiotic as the presentators as the former don't pay attention to the end, while the later didn't really explained much.
It is kinda laughable to begin to compare with games and such, while the authorities didn't even portrayed her psychology officialy. Frankly, what was the point with this comparison anyway?
Old 2007-09-20, 16:25   Link #79
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Hate to derail the paranoia train but they do not blame it on Higurashi in that clip. They mention that it is being compared to Higurashi on the internet, the case back in march which was related to a manga, and then the guy explicitly says "We can't go directly saying the show was the cause..." The lady who speaks after him also basically says 'it's not like higurashi is the only series with violence'.
The point was to put an anime with violence, and Higurashi seems to have fit the bill nicely. Whatever has been mentioned afterward doesn't take away the fact Higurashi has been put under the limelight. They have pointed their fingers at something and played the game of delicacy at the same time. On the bright side, I believe Higurashi got a nice little free advertisement. I won't be surprised if the DVD sale of the series increses significantly in the upcoming days.
Old 2007-09-20, 16:34   Link #80
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna View Post
I'm getting really worried after reading this thread. They're not going to actually cancel the show right? Because of the whole "connections" with the ax and girl murdering her dad. I mean, if she killed him with a katana, then wouldn't actions shows with swords like Claymore or Bleach be canceled as well? This is ridiculous. It's ridiculous and simply human ignorance to blame media for a person's actions.
Nope, I don't think that they'd jump at Claymore and Bleach. Claymore features modified human warriors killing monsters (and sometimes fighting amongst themselves ofc, but they're not "human"). And Bleach... well, it's very cartoonish since no one ever dies, no matter how much of a beating they take, and no matter how many times they taste the steel of the opponents blade. Higurashi on the other hand, shows young girls (relates to this incident) torturing and killing each other (and others) in what could be described as really sadistic ways, and the violence is really something else compared to the violence in the shows mentioned above. This is more vivid due to the graphic nature of the violence, and it's a lot more terrifying due to the psychotic nature of the violence. I'm not at all surprised that they chose to use Higurashi as an example.

Then, what do I think of it? Well... I think it's completely retarded. For starters... the episode containing the segment that they're referring to was aired more than one year ago, and the way they refer to the show in general makes it sound like something solely featuring young girls (about the same age as this Kyoto-girl, AMAGAD!!1!) killing adults, young children and whatever comes their way basically. I'm so sick and tired of the way media around the world tend to blow stuff out of proportion in order to get higher ratings. Just think about this; how many of those making themselves comfy in their favorite chair after a hard days work, who watches this sorry excuse for journalism, gains an understanding of what Higurashi is that even remotely resembles the truth? Well, I'd say that the chances of them being more than perhaps a handful is pretty f-ing slim. Note that I'm not including fellas that share our interest in animé/manga/visual novels, I'm talking "Joe Schmoe" here, who... up until now, thought of animé as something only kids and those weird otaku-thingies watch. "Poor" Joe enters a state of shock and blames the animé industry for every single murder these past ten years.

Okay, I know I'm exaggerating a lot here, but you get the picture. I'm so sick and tired of all this. I would like to add though, that I sort of understand why School Days episode 12 was taken off the air for the time being, due to what is probably going to happen in that specific episode and how it relates to the incident in Kyoto. What pisses me off though is this endless debate (witchhunt?) in media claiming that violent movies, TV-series and games somehow turns people into these psychotic monsters... all this whilst totally ignoring the basic conditions of this particular situation - in this case all the triggering factors that her own god damn life throws at her. "Hmm... did she kill her father because he was a piece of shit that she truly hated? No, uh uh! She mentioned that she wanted to be a mangaka (a fairly popular dream among young adults) so the cause of all this must be all this godforsaken animé-stuff we hear about on the news."

I know I already used this quote today in the School Days thread, but I'm going to reuse it. "Movies don't create psychos! Movies make psychos more creative."

Note: I'm a really tired, pissed-off and not entirely sober swede (haha), so it wouldn't surprise me at all if my post contains bad grammar and typos, but guess what... I'm not in the mood for proofreading at the moment. Good night, I'm off to bed. I bet I'll dream some really nasty dreams.