AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-16, 17:36   Link #521
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Lawrence's choice in cargo, in general, shows that he's probably smart enough to not be tricked by that. He carries products that are sure to sell: salt, furs, etc. They won't bring in as much money as certain higher-risk items, but he can also guarantee that they won't go bad enroute, and that he WILL be able to sell them, wherever he may end up.
Well, he also mentioned that it took years to learn what Horo already knew; the lie in and of itself isn't important, rather that the reason behind the lie is what's critical. After that, he mentioned he would go along with it anyways to figure out what Zerin was up to.

The reason he carries those items, i thought, was to basically stay away from keeping actual cash on himself during his travels (ie. prevent as much monetary loss as possible).
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 17:38   Link #522
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I'm in the minority as well. I think the reason this episode doesn't have that bam like episode 1 is because of the absence of Chloe. I admit I'm worried also, but the length of the show gives me hope and helps me to retain my confidence that it will have a compact and flowing storyline that leads to somewhere.
The great thing about this show so far is Horo and the setting. I don't expect a "compact and flowing storyline" any time soon. I expect we'll have to enjoy Horo's little tricks in response to Lawrence and to other traders' little tricks. And there will probably be some escaping from the people who want to burn her at the stake -- although contributing to the Church's coffers was a good idea. And Horo's character and relationship with Lawrence are developing.

Maybe in the long run we'll see her disappointed at the disappearance of her old home. I expect we will see her with some wolves, whether or not that big one in OP is her.

A little repetition in the first two episodes is sometimes thought of as establishing the characters. Of course, a 52-episode show like Porfy no Tabi has more leisure to do that. I think it's reasonable not to have full confidence in a staff whose last big show was Cosmopolitan Prayers.

So what am I trying to say? That I enjoyed the first two episodes, but the verdict is still out on everything but how great Horo is and how promising the set-up is. I won't mind dialogue-heavy, even if it does mean I have to wait for a sub for full comprehension.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 17:51   Link #523
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Middle ages version of the Nigerian scammer, I think. It's not at all an uncommon ploy, to tell someone about a "sure" deal that'll net great profits, "but alas, I'll have to pass it up because I can't afford the initial investment..." convince the unlucky sap to pay some amount towards getting it started, then disappear with the money. If stories I've read have any basis in fact, that's something traders have to constantly be on guard against. Anyone telling you about some sort of way to get rich quick, but they need money from you to get it going, is probably not on the level.

Lawrence's choice in cargo, in general, shows that he's probably smart enough to not be tricked by that. He carries products that are sure to sell: salt, furs, etc. They won't bring in as much money as certain higher-risk items, but he can also guarantee that they won't go bad enroute, and that he WILL be able to sell them, wherever he may end up.
That is quite possible, yes. However Lowrence said he won't be paying any deposits. Also, the guy didn't ask for money per se - just for lowrance to get the deal done and he would get some percentage pf the income for telling him which coin was going to be replaced ... oh well - we shall see. He is obviously scheming something, and we are going to get there sooner or later

About the lack of "something big" in this episode ... i don't think this is a show where to expect anything like that (though still possible). It seems character driven slice of life/adventure first and foremost. We have situations that develop the characters, and the interactions that stem from the situations they are put in seems to be the focal point, not the situations themselves.

What i expect this series to do is follow Lawrence and Horo in their daily "adventures" (even if nothing adventurous), watch the two interact and gain better understanding of one another. "we live in different worlds" ... gradually lessening the gap between these worlds and come to better understand each other is what i expect to be one of the main points in the series. Yes, Horo seems to have a specific goal in mind (travel north) and we are likely to experience several "mini arcs" (given how much focus is placed on the church ... "witch hunt" regarding Horo maybe?) or other episodic plots, but first and foremost it is about Horo and Lowrence. About the journey where we watch the two interact and grow, not the destination.

At least thats how i see it. And i must say, i like what i see.
Old 2008-01-16, 17:57   Link #524
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
That is quite possible, yes. However Lowrence said he won't be paying any deposits. Also, the guy didn't ask for money per se - just for lowrance to get the deal done and he would get some percentage pf the income for telling him which coin was going to be replaced ... oh well - we shall see. He is obviously scheming something, and we are going to get there sooner or later
Actually, he said he doesn't have any money, currently, for the downpayment and would need to trade in his furs first. (Refer back to the conversation in front of the fireplace as to why he doesn't carry money).
Old 2008-01-16, 18:06   Link #525
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I'm in the minority as well. I think the reason this episode doesn't have that bam like episode 1 is because of the absence of Chloe. I admit I'm worried also, but the length of the show gives me hope and helps me to retain my confidence that it will have a compact and flowing storyline that leads to somewhere.
Though such a character never existed in the manga...maybe this is an attempt to make the series seem less "boring". Just looking and taking in the views of raw emotion is hard work...this series is slice of life so drama/action wise, I won't be expecting much. Knowing that now it would mean that I have to concerntrate more on thinking about those feelings expressed through each ep - moreso than your average romance genre. I'm still not sure about this series but so far Horo's tail is managing to keep my firm interest.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 18:09   Link #526
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Though such a character never existed in the manga...maybe this is an attempt to make the series seem less "boring". Just looking and taking in the views of raw emotion is hard work...this series is slice of life so drama/action wise, I won't be expecting much. Knowing that now it would mean that I have to concerntrate more on thinking about those feelings expressed through each ep - moreso than your average romance genre. I'm still not sure about this series but so far Horo's tail is managing to keep my firm interest.
Kuroe is the replacement for a male figure in the original novel.
Spoiler:
Old 2008-01-16, 18:12   Link #527
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
And yet, I like the slow pace and dialogue heaviness of the show very much! Not much may have happened, but the interaction between the two is nice to watch. It somehow soothes and intrigues me at the same time.
i have to agree(.....soothes and intrigues......) because i dont have any thoughts or expectation from this show, i havent even heard about this show until i bt-ed it from suki
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 18:32   Link #528
james84562

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
One of the biggest concerns when the production was announced in Japan was the difficulty that this series would have going from novels to anime because of the content. Most of the bits and pieces I read, and from what others have also said, are very dialogue heavy...add to that, I think it was mentioned from the beginning that this series is a fantasy series with no swords or wizardry.

That said, I think your observations are spot on, in particular, if you were hoping for something huge to happen. However, whether they were successful or not being a different story, I think they did try quite a bit to draw out the personalities of Horo and Lawrence. Horo's wisdom from how she interacted with Zerin when suddenly asked to reveal her face, the bit about the importance of lies, etc. Lawrence's somewhat indecisive character, his traumatic past, etc.

While there will be some interesting plot progression, it's basically a story about a travelling salesman so it wouldn't be surprising to see a lot more of ep2 type episodes...which personally I really enjoyed not necessarily in content, but in CV performance
yeah you're right...
its basically the dialogue and interaction between the two that makes the novel fascinating....
james84562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 19:06   Link #529
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ep 2 notes:
I really enjoyed the ups and downs of Horo and Lawrence starting to get to know each other - with the fun parts and the sad little missteps each makes. Especially like the way they begin to express Horo's complex personality and mood shifts.

I thought the clothes drying scene was adapted to anime fairly well... with Lawrence not being able to really decide where to direct his eyeballs while being matter-of-fact.
Old 2008-01-16, 19:41   Link #530
X207
Gamyūsa

ep 2 was even better than the 1st ep. i want to know more about their past ie wolf atk related incidents.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 19:47   Link #531
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It really does come down to a story between two characters. Everything else is just giving them a direction to go. Sure this isn't going to be the first case where their different views on a situation will create some conflict.

Too bad that means more of Horo with a sad expression.
Old 2008-01-16, 20:20   Link #532
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It really does come down to a story between two characters. Everything else is just giving them a direction to go. Sure this isn't going to be the first case where their different views on a situation will create some conflict.

Too bad that means more of Horo with a sad expression.
shes cute when that happens
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 21:08   Link #533
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Horo's cute factor has gone up. And I think she's shaping up nicely as a character with hidden depth. And oh, horrors of horrors, I'm actually beginning to enjoy Ringo Hiyori. Arggh, I can't get the cuteness out of my head~~~

A few notes on what I found interesting about Episode 2

Spoiler:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 22:40   Link #534
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Response, episode 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Response, off topic:
Old 2008-01-16, 23:15   Link #535
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Spoiler for response to dahl_moon:
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 23:39   Link #536
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Should we be worried about that "if it's eaten, burnt, or mashed and returned to the earth I might disappear" comment Horo made? If she's actually bound to this bunch of wheat and ONLY this bunch now, if it's destroyed would she... you know... die?
I was thinking that same thing.... as soon as she said it, I'm like, "well if that's not foreshadowing then I don't know what the hell is".
Old 2008-01-16, 23:50   Link #537
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I feel like a bit of a spoilsport, but I can't quite fit in with the cheers of the other viewers... while I really loved episode 1, I've got to admit that I wasn't quite as impressed with episode 2.

Why?

Because unlike ep1, almost nothing of consequence happened.
But can you say that if the upcoming coin change part plays a big part in the first novel and leads to something big? I actually don't know if that's the case but I'm just saying...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 23:57   Link #538
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Please feel free to grab.

Thanks! ^^
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 23:58   Link #539
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
But can you say that if the upcoming coin change part plays a big part in the first novel and leads to something big? I actually don't know if that's the case but I'm just saying...
I believe it's connected to the ending of the first novel somehow. Can't be entirely sure yet.
Old 2008-01-17, 00:08   Link #540
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Ookami with Nintendo DS style dual screen. Nice job of showing multiple camera angles during the same scene.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2046265

Record of Lodoss War Opening with Ookami. Ookami is now an epic fantasy! Amazing how much the music can change the atmosphere. There will be an update on this as new episodes are released (too many travelling and doing nothing scenes in this version)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2050103

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen