AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2010-08-13, 20:01   Link #181
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~Birdie View Post
Oh I'm looking forward to Avatar the Airbender ....
I loved that movie
Old 2010-08-14, 07:31   Link #182
Tori~Birdie

I still haven't seen it ... I still have to wait for it to be released
Old 2010-08-14, 15:07   Link #183
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~Birdie View Post
I still haven't seen it ... I still have to wait for it to be released
You haven't it has been released everywhere I have been were do you live.
Old 2010-08-14, 17:55   Link #184
Tori~Birdie

It's only just been released in Europe/UK last week .. and I still haven't had the time to go see it
Old 2012-02-23, 03:04   Link #185
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Warner Brothers looks like it is trying to see what sticks as far as popular manga turning into live-action movies it seems.

With the ANN article posted earlier, I first thought "Oh no, here we go again." Full disclosure: I am not a fan of Bleach at all. I don't like shounen fighting shows, they just are not my thing. The reason why I thought that was because Warner Brothers were the same folks who had the bright ideas of: casting a white guy(Garrett Hedlund) as a mid-20s bar owner named Shotaro Kaneda(who was in the manga and anime a teenaged bike gang leader.) and of course, WB at one point was going to have the Death Note movie with no Ryuk and Light not turning evil. Yeah, they really didn't want Light to be evil.

And now, it looks like they're seriously looking at Bleach. Bleach would certainly be a hot property for them with the sales numbers that the manga has in Japan and the U.S. I was also slightly encouraged by how Masi Oka is attached to it(I really hope he plays a major role in this if it ever gets made) and Viz having a hand in the production(although I have heard that they muff up translations from time to time). Peter Segal saying that he is a fan of "Kubo-sensei" and of the manga is another hopeful sign.

I am just hoping that this doesn't turn into Rupert Grint as some guy named Ichigo with a katana fighting demons with big explosions and with a lot of the Japanese elements taken out of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised though, if this would turn into a movie with a mainly white cast with people named Ian and Rose and named the Soul Society or something like that.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 04:08   Link #186
Langus
Optimus Prime

Here's the link for anyone that wants to read the full article: LINK

They've changed writers to Dan Mazeau - the guy who wrote the screenplay for Wrath of the Titans. Peter Segal is on board as the producer and also, possibly, the director. Apparently Segal is a huge Bleach fan and adores Kubo (calling him "Kubo sensei" *snicker*). This might not be a train wreck after all...
Old 2012-02-23, 08:29   Link #187
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Pretty sure it's still going to be a train wreck.

Stephen Colbert's reaction.

Ivan Drago's reaction.

Ace Ventura's reaction.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 12:03   Link #188
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
Pretty sure it's still going to be a train wreck.

Stephen Colbert's reaction.

Ivan Drago's reaction.

Ace Ventura's reaction.
You forgot the most important one!

^MY REACTION.

sig made by the wonderful Godlike1889
http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=80506
Chiisai Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 17:48   Link #189
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiisai Kuma View Post
You forgot the most important one!

^MY REACTION.
wow that made me laugh so hard. better than crying i suppose. its similar to my reaction only throw in a few off color swears and its dead-on. i predict a movie just as bad as dragon ball evolution.

the only anime movie i've ever seen that was actually good was 'shinobi' based on 'basilisk'. dont waste time with any other live action crapfests
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 18:09   Link #190
Mateus

Animes rarely work as live-action films. The ones that do are usually the easier to translate into real-life situations like cop & high school dramas.
Old 2012-02-23, 21:37   Link #191
Lumilicious
Lurking~ ( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
the only anime movie i've ever seen that was actually good was 'shinobi' based on 'basilisk'. dont waste time with any other live action crapfests
The Gantz Movies (especially the first one) were pretty damn awesome, just like Spacebattleship Yamato ("based" on the Anime Star Blazers).
Quote:
I am just hoping that this doesn't turn into Rupert Grint as some guy named Ichigo
Good lord. I don't want to see Weasley as Ichigo. But I wouldn't be surprised if they actually try to get him doin it.

Anyways, I hope the movie turns out to be just as shitty as Dragon Ball Evolution, cos I've got a few good laughs out of that ... abomination of a movie.
Old 2012-02-23, 22:18   Link #192
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

if were lucky, in a few years, TeamFourStar might make a Riff Track for it.
and aizen witll be DarthEvilMcBadguy

Old 2012-02-26, 00:42   Link #193
Richocet
Lover of Purity

Has there been any more news other then apart from Segal and Dan's involvement?
Richocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 23:11   Link #194
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

My first reaction upon learning of the news about a possible live-action film produced in Hollywood was, "Is this some bad taste joke?"

Honestly, I don't see it feasible not in economic and money terms but terms surrounding the context of how much, if not otherwise, the general public would understand at a conscious level those aspects of the film presenting and portraying the Shinigami and Soul Society from an American perspective, if only just at face value. That adaptation would have to literally tear to pieces the manner how they'll want to portray the Shinigami for that American film in order for the film itself to be marketable and digestive for media consumption by the targeted demographic audience in America.

This is an ergo for making a far nastier and shittier, live-action, film adaptation of Kubo's manga than Dragon Ball Evolution was at the time of its screening for the American market.

And, if this film gets the greenlight, then I wonder for the Japanese side who'll they'll be contracting to perform the live-action film's music theme for the Japanese localization?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 06:28   Link #195
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Quote:
The Gantz Movies (especially the first one) were pretty damn awesome, just like Spacebattleship Yamato ("based" on the Anime Star Blazers).
these movies were done by the japanese. there have been quite a few successful live action adaptations of anime/manga series in the past but they were all done by the japanese folks. the dragon ball disaster was not. and the bleach movie is going to be produced, directed, written and will possibly star hollywood actors. can you guys imagine a caucasian ichigo? will they change his name to a more western-sounding name? will japan be changed to new york? and what about the term shinigami? will they still use it? it was weird having a caucasian guy named goku, and now we'll have an ichigo? i think this is a pretty stupid move as far as filmmaking is concerned. but as far as cashing in on a well-known franchise, it might prove to be profitable! but then again, the dragon ball movie was a complete and total flop. hollywood should learn from that catastrophe. it ruined the name of a well-loved series.
Old 2012-02-29, 06:32   Link #196
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Old 2012-02-29, 11:32   Link #197
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

^ i love you.

Old 2012-03-01, 01:36   Link #198
Casshern

What were we talking about btw?
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 21:40   Link #199
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

i dont know. all i remember is this is FAAAAR more entertaining and less depressing than the original topic

Old 2012-03-02, 01:03   Link #200
james0246

Truthfully, Bleach can easily be updated/translated to an American audience, as so long as all Japanese names are replaced with English/European names. There are some core ideas in the series that are distinctly Japanese in orgin, but the basic idea of a "death god" isn't that far removed from the Western idea of the grim reaper, so simply having an army of such creatures and a young man who inadvertanly joins said army, is a fairly easy story to tell (and has, in fact, been told many times before).

When it comes right down to it, Bleach never had a particularly strong story, but it had a great visual style (which can be eaisly duplicated) and some fun characters. So, a film, even an American adaptation, isn't that hard to imagine. (Sadly, it is also really easy to imagine how badly this series will be adaptaed.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote