AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-20, 04:48   Link #41
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
I'm surprise people are bashing this series considering its only been like one episode so far. The design however doesn't flare well with me but it's interesting seeing the new setting for yugioh card duel.

the second and third paragraph are opinionated so I will just leave it there but I do enjoy 5d because from my point of view the series was somewhat mature plus they had actual pairings of male+female. Not just one pair but two ^^,

As for the competitive card scene I enjoy the sychro's card being a tad OP otherwise you will have a lot more useless cards on stock. Limitation on the sychro's and tuner would ease the power of those cards better which is neither a terrible thing. Most synchro's are very useful towards any deck as oppose to ritual >.> or fusion.... which clearly needs some upgrading.

Exceed seems interesting with double card star requirement. Although i didn't catch the explaination if Exceed summons are part of the deck or extra deck... such for example assault mode activate vs synchro summon.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 08:06   Link #42
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Are you serious? Yugioh pretty much relies on character design to survive... and let's face it this is B-grade/C-grade designs here... I haven't seen such bad designs since the first season's set of cards (you know that there were some really ugly and generic cards back in the day...).

I mean yeah Synchros are broken now... but you can't deny how cool they were when they were first introduced. I mean this series just feel like a back-step...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 12:54   Link #43
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Exceed Monsters are part of the Extra Deck.

The Exceed Material Monsters (Overlay Units in the anime/manga) are stacked underneath the Exceed Monster you Exceed Summon with them (hence the 2+ floating "stars" around the Exceed Monster in the anime/manga, depending on how many Materials are used).

Of course, some of their rulings are slightly different in that Exceed Material Monsters do not count as being "on the field", so they don't count towards things like Ceasefire or other things that look at the field, count things on the field, etc.

They can't be targeted by things like Raigeki Break, Mind Control, etc. (Again, not "on the field" to be targeted.)

Similar to when equipped to monsters, unless they specifically say otherwise, effects of monsters can't be used or applied. (So you can't Tribute an Exiled Force being used as an Exceed Material Monster to destroy a monster and something like Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer won't prevent an opponent from removing from play cards from the Graveyard and so on.)

Things like Sangan will not activate if they get sent to the Graveyard since it was not sent "from the field to the Graveyard". Same with things getting removed from play (so you can Special Summon Zombie Carrier/Plaguespreader Zombie with its effect, use it as an Exceed Material Monster and, when it gets removed from the field, it will NOT be removed from play via its effect) but things that merely need to hit the Graveyard or be removed from play in general, like Dandylion, will still activate.

You also cannot use Tokens since, if a Token is ever removed from the field in any way, they disappear, and since Exceed Material Monsters are no longer "on the field", then the Tokens disappear and are unable to work as Exceed Material Monsters.

Synchros weren't helped when they made Tuners that scream, "I am meant to be used with this Synchro!", thus making me feel that such Synchros should've had them labeled as the specific Tuners required rather than ANY like Debris Dragon = Stardust Dragon, Jutte Knight = Goyou Guardian, Night Rose Night = Black Rose Dragon, Black Bomber = Dark Dive Bomber, and so on.

As for when Tuners/Synchros and 5D's first started; A LOT of people were actually very skeptical about them; 5D's for the very concept of Riding Duels, and Tuners and Synchros because of them making them SEEM trickier than they, obviously, truly are. Some people trivially judging them solely because of the "ugly" white background too.

EDIT: One of the best examples I can think of of poor judgment based on something as trivial as character looks is The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Tons of people felt like it was gonna be a rare failure solely because of the different, more cartoonish character designs, especially after Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but after it came out and people actually gave it a chance, it became just as popular as other Zelda games, if not more popular. Even after Twilight Princess came out, it's not like Wind Waker was just forgotten either.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 14:24   Link #44
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Are you serious? Yugioh pretty much relies on character design to survive... and let's face it this is B-grade/C-grade designs here... I haven't seen such bad designs since the first season's set of cards (you know that there were some really ugly and generic cards back in the day...).

I mean yeah Synchros are broken now... but you can't deny how cool they were when they were first introduced. I mean this series just feel like a back-step...
Exceeds have a much more superior summoning animation to make them the cooler set of monsters.

If even Yusei were to face Yuma, I feel Yuma could win simply due to the Numbers immunity rule. Summon Revise Dragon, take down Stardust ... Still a small case, but there exist that fact.
Old 2011-04-20, 15:12   Link #45
tsunade666

The M.C. is really getting on my nerves -_- specially his catch phrase.
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Old 2011-04-20, 16:10   Link #46
cohen

You must not like the Rock's catchphrase either ...

Yuma is excited, you would be too if you summoned a Number Monster. Considering Yuma didn't know about Hope and was given it, and instructed on how to summon it, he has every right to be excited. It let him win pretty easily.

Double Up Chance works perfectly with Hope, going hand in hand. Attack, use effect to negate, then use card to double attack. It is a pretty easy 5k attack power, only using two card effects.
Old 2011-04-20, 16:27   Link #47
tsunade666

yap it let him win pretty easily. Plus it looks like he doesn't even know strategy or anything more into the duel. Like a total beginner unlike the previews series. Kinda new. Astral needs to tell him what to do but he just ignore the last one and go with the flow
Old 2011-04-20, 16:35   Link #48
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
yap it let him win pretty easily. Plus it looks like he doesn't even know strategy or anything more into the duel. Like a total beginner unlike the previews series. Kinda new. Astral needs to tell him what to do but he just ignore the last one and go with the flow
I think you know this, but the main complaint with Yusei was he was too godly ... Yuma fits the bill perfectly. Also, Yuma drew the card and Astral didn't even see it. He drew it, then declared his attack. I have started to read a transcript here http://www.pojo.biz/board/showpost.p...&postcount=172 and it seems there is a lot you miss by just watching it.
Old 2011-04-20, 20:47   Link #49
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Exceed Monsters are part of the Extra Deck.

The Exceed Material Monsters (Overlay Units in the anime/manga) are stacked underneath the Exceed Monster you Exceed Summon with them (hence the 2+ floating "stars" around the Exceed Monster in the anime/manga, depending on how many Materials are used).

Of course, some of their rulings are slightly different in that Exceed Material Monsters do not count as being "on the field", so they don't count towards things like Ceasefire or other things that look at the field, count things on the field, etc.

They can't be targeted by things like Raigeki Break, Mind Control, etc. (Again, not "on the field" to be targeted.)

Exceed summoning certainly seems to have its advantage.. I don't see the cards as being useless or weak. Actually not being counted on the field seems a bit overpowered. I would need to see the official rule on that. It would make sense that exceed monster themselves are counted on the field while the overlayed unit do not count themselves, which would make more sense to me.

I suppose you mean in the anime/manga version. Reminding me that I would love the idea of Hyper sychro to have the same effect as the anime.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 21:22   Link #50
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

@tsunade666

Yuma actually IS a total amateur who has NEVER won a Duel before. That's what sets him apart from the other Yu-Gi-Oh! protagonists.

Not to mention that he's still a kid so his excitement at seeing something like No. 34, Aspiring King Hope and his celebration at winning the Duel against someone as good as Shark is completely understandable. A lot of people may want to believe that, if they were in the same position, they'd simply smile all coolly like Kaiba, Ryo/Zane, or others like that, but I highly doubt they wouldn't celebrate and/or be visually excited in some way.

As mentioned, the big complaint about Yusei was that, aside from the "loss" to Kiryu/Kalin (where he should've had his soul sacrificed to Earthbound God - Ccapac Apu, but he "conveniently" had a D-Wheel malfunction), he NEVER LOST and a bunch of his wins later felt like BS. Like against Jean in the WRGP; all Jean had to do after milling out Yusei's Deck (Team Unicorn being about milling mostly) was end his turn and Team Unicorn would've won, but after all his preaching about sticking to their team strategy, he suddenly decides to be a total hypocrite and attack to try to win and Yusei conveniently has a card (Stronghold Guardian) that let's Team 5D's win.

And they have to constantly have him take over the Duels too like, again, Team Unicorn; Andore beat both Jack AND Aki with only a little bit of trouble. Yusei comes in and beats him, Breo (who started the milling), AND Jean (because of his idiot hypocrisy).

Not to mention that there wasn't a whole lot of strategy later on. Just hiding behind Stardust Dragon/Shooting Star Dragon while spamming Special Summons for Synchro Summoning and convenient asspulls of some kind that miraculously save Yusei when they would've probably done crap in over 90% of his other Duels. At least Yugi/Atem and Judai didn't do that until the very end (with Heart of the Cards and junk) and even if they pulled something good in the middle, it didn't constantly last and the Duel could end up turned against them again.

@Nemuru

I mean the Exceed Material Monsters are not counted as "on the field" at all while underneath the Exceed Monster. The Exceed Monster itself, obviously, is.

New System - The Exceed Summon

An Exceed Monster - No. 17, Revise Dragon

With the dawn of the Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL era comes a new type of monster - the Exceed Monster. What follows is a primer on what they are, how they are summoned, and how they are treated. Hopefully this will ensure that you will all be ready to tackle them once they take the world by storm (nor not, as the case may be).

Exceed Monsters

* An Exceed Monster is a new type of Monster Card that is coloured black. They are stored in the Extra Deck along with Fusion Monsters and Synchro Monsters.

* Instead of a Level, Exceed Monsters have a Rank. This Rank determines the required Levels of the Exceed Material Monsters needed in order to summon your desired Exceed Monster. An Exceed Monster's Rank is depicted by a row of yellow stars in black orbs (as opposed to the yellow stars in red orbs of a monster's Level) that extend outwards from the left-hand side of the card (opposite to where a monster's Level would be depicted).

* An Exceed Monster's Rank is not its Level. Exceed Monsters do not have a Level. Therefore, any effects that would refer to the Level of a monster cannot be applied to an Exceed Monster under any circumstances.

Exceed Summoning

* In order to Exceed Summon an Exceed Monster, you must first take the required Exceed Material Monsters face-up on your side of the field and stack them together. Then, the Exceed Monster is Exceed Summoned from your Extra Deck, and placed on top of the stack.

* The respective battle positions of the Exceed Material Monsters do not matter, so long as they are all face-up. However, once you have Exceed Summoned your Exceed Monster, ensure that the entire stack is neatly aligned according to the Exceed Monster's battle position.

* An Exceed Summon is a type of Special Summon, and an Exceed Monster cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard or removed from play pile unless it was properly Exceed Summoned first.

Miscellaneous

* Some effects may require you to remove Exceed Material Monsters from an Exceed Monster. In this case, the required Exceed Material Monsters are taken from beneath the Exceed Monster in question and sent to the Graveyard. Be wary though, as some such effects may have a sting in the tail should an Exceed Monster have no Exceed Material Monsters left beneath it.

* Note that an Exceed Monster Special Summoned via any means other than an Exceed Summon will thus not have any Exceed Material Monsters beneath it. Therefore, any negative effects that might apply to an Exceed Monster in such a state will be applied immediately.

Q: Can you use face down face down monsters as Exceed materials?

A: No you may not

Q: When the Exceed monster is destroyed and sent to grave due to battle or by card effects, what happens to the Exceed materials?

A: When the Exceed monster leaves field, the Exceed materials are sent to grave

Q: If Interdimensional Matter Transporter is used on an Exceed monster, what happens to the Exceed materials?

A: The Exceed materials are sent to grave

Q: If Compulsory Evacuation Device is used on an Exceed monster, what happens to the Exceed materials?

Q: If Book of Moon is used on an Exceed monster, what happens to the Exceed materials?

A: The Exceed materials stay on the field with the face down Exceed monster (Yes, the Exceed materials actually stay with the Exceed monster all the way)

Q: If Banisher of Radiance or Macrocosmos is on the field and the Exceed monster leaves field, what happens to the Exceed materials?

A: The Exceed materials are removed from game

Q: If Dimension Fissure is on the field and the Exceed monster leaves field, what happens to the Exceed materials?

Q: If Mind Control is used on an opp's Exceed monster, what happens to the Exceed materials?

A: The Exceed materials' control moves together with the Exceed monster's control

Q: If Skill Drain is on the field and you Exceed Summon, what happens to the Exceed materials?

A: The Exceed materials are still placed on the Exceed monster

Q: Can a Zombie Carrier (Plaguespreader Zombie) that is on the field through its revival effect be used as a Exceed material? If so, what happens to the Exceed materials? And what happens when the Exceed monster leaves the field?

A: You may use that Zombie Carrier as an Exceed material. When you use it as an Exceed material, the Zombie Carrier will become an Exceed Material for the Exceed monster. When the Exceed monster leaves the field, the Zombie Carrier goes to grave. (So yes, you can reuse it again)

Q: If a Sangan was used as an Exceed material, when it goes to grave, do you get the search effect?

A: When the Sangan becomes an Exceed material, it is no longer treated to be 'on the field', therefore you will not be able to search as it did not enter grave from field. (The same would apply to cards like DD Survivor, etc)

Q: If a Dandylion was used as an Exceed material, when it goes to grave, do you get the special summon token effect?

A: When the Dandylion becomes an Exceed material and is sent to grave, you will still get the special summon token effect. (Difference from Sangan is it does not have to enter grave from the field to get its effect. The same would apply to Jinzo Returner, DD Scout plane, etc)

Q: If a machine monster is an Exceed material, and a Cyber Dragon is on the field, can you contact for a Chimeratech Fortress Dragon?

A: You may not (Similar to Sangan's ruling, the Exceed materials are not considered to be on the field)

Q: If you have an Exceed monster on the field with Exceed materials, and your opponent activates Secret Barrel. Do you count the Exceed materials?

A: No, you do not include the Exceed materials (I guess consistent with its ruling for Sangan and such, Exceed materials are technically NOT on the field)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other things not mentioned in the FAQ

Trap monsters can be used in the Exceed summon and they still go under the Exceed monster as an Exceed materials

Tokens cannot be used for Exceed summons.

Exceed materials are not considered to be on the field (Similar to the rulings for Sangan, etc in the FAQ), therefore you cannot target them with Raigeki Break and other such cards.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 21:52   Link #51
cohen

Kitsune Blue at Pojo has transcribed the episode.

Here is the first of his posts ...
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showpost.p...&postcount=172
Old 2011-04-22, 19:24   Link #52
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 2:
Old 2011-04-22, 21:48   Link #53
cohen

Yuma surprised him by winning simply because he didn't give off a positive playing attitude. In the manga, Yuma takes more time looking over his deck, even viewing the card that he would later use to win.
Old 2011-05-04, 13:25   Link #54
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 3:
Old 2011-05-22, 21:03   Link #55
cohen

Seems to be in licensing hell for right now ...

Episode 4 seemed to finish up what episode 3 set up. It shows how the Number monsters can cause enough influence to change the duel. If he hadn't payed Terrabyte, he wouldn't have wanted a flawless win and make a dumb play like that.

5 and 6 had a manga duel, and it shows. It was far superior to 3 and 4, and shows that even Hope, gives the same dark, enhancing effects.
Old 2011-05-22, 21:49   Link #56
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen View Post
5 and 6 had a manga duel, and it shows. It was far superior to 3 and 4, and shows that even Hope, gives the same dark, enhancing effects.
I was surprised that Hope gave out the dark effect as well.. It seems everyone with a Numbers card are tuned up apparently except for Yuma where he has Astral.
Old 2011-05-23, 06:04   Link #57
cohen

Episode 7 introduces a fellow Astral has a memory of, Robin. He is from a TV show, the actor is named Fuuya. Some things happen, he gets his hands on No. 83 Galaxy Queen (which bears a resemblance to another actress, possibly his mother) and goes white knighting around the city.

Yuma and co. investigate, only to lose him. Yuma then gets caught up in a duel with Fuuya. The duel actually had substance, and felt like an actual challenge. I wonder what Yuma will do this time to win it.
Old 2011-05-23, 07:09   Link #58
Mendrox

Wow haven't watched a single 5D's Episode because of the motorcycles, but Zexal gives me the old Yu-Gi-Oh hipes Music is nice, i like the exceed system and Yuma evolves slowly to a more serious duelist.
Mendrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 08:48   Link #59
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Interesting trivia: the title of this Yugioh season might actually be "ZEAL" not "ZEXAL", with the X being in fact a cross part of the logo, and not part of the title.
This has been "confirmed" (or rather suggested) by one of Konami employee responsible for the TCG, Kevin tewart. This also explain why it is pronunced "ゼアル" and not something like "ゼクサル".

Of course, I have no idea why they use "zexal" for the URL links and whatnot. Unless, it is again another problematic miscommunication issue between Konami Japan and Konami US, as their translations for the exceeds (or Xyz...) are Leviathan Dragon (Revise dragon) and Utopia (yes, this is supposed to be Aspiring Emperor Hope).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-05-24 at 10:46.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 10:44   Link #60
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

Spoiler for episode 7: