AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-21, 13:08   Link #14941
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Well yeah, I wasn't here at animesuki back then.
I am aware, but you are here for quite a while... technically a lot of chances to get your oppinion of the CIA communicated.

Quote:
If I had been then I would have posted this picture of CIA operative Zbigniew Brzezinski and Tony Osmo (Osama Bin Laden) in Afghanistan sometime in the late 1980s.
This picture originally came out of the 1990 end-of-year issue of Soldier of Fortune magazine.

But remember, the official line out of the Bush admn is that the CIA did not create Al Qaeda or train Osama Bin Ladin.
Actually they did not need to form Al Qaida. Lets assume they just recruited them. However, they gave them the chance to buy on the international weapon market (to gain access to military grade weapons is not as easy as you might think it is). Without the CIA's help they could not have been uparmed in such a short time (if we consider and Al Qaida + Taliban + tribal leaders/warlords together).

Quote:
That's a conspiracy theory and you shouldn't pay any attention to all the photos from the 80s of CIA men training Osama.
It's like the Enquirer, it was matted in...or something.
You know Jinto, it really amazes me how stupid the US government thinks we all are...but I digress.
Nah, they are not that stupid either. Thats exactly what they want, that you feel superior to their schemes and have a feeling of knowing everything there is to know about it.

Quote:
My motives are only selfish in that I feel helpless to do anything about it, and thus like all other Americans (or most other) I sit on my arse and bitch about it instead of actually doing something about it.
The ATF is only one of the worst agencies of the US government, but not the only one.
Empire certainly has its price, and I for one don't think it was worth it.
Well, with regards to not actively doing something and complaining a lot... I think I am in the same boat.
Old 2011-07-21, 21:07   Link #14942
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Canada court rules against China's most wanted man
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76L06Y20110722
Do China still apply the death penalty for smuggling and bridering ?
Old 2011-07-21, 21:15   Link #14943
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Canada court rules against China's most wanted man
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76L06Y20110722
Do China still apply the death penalty for smuggling and bridering ?
Yes

corruption is the biggest problem facing China right now. Unfortunately the issue won't go away till there is rule of law with independent judiciary.
Old 2011-07-22, 02:03   Link #14944
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I am aware, but you are here for quite a while... technically a lot of chances to get your oppinion of the CIA communicated.
Never got the chance until now.
Thanks for the opportunity though.

Quote:
Actually they did not need to form Al Qaida. Lets assume they just recruited them. However, they gave them the chance to buy on the international weapon market (to gain access to military grade weapons is not as easy as you might think it is). Without the CIA's help they could not have been uparmed in such a short time (if we consider and Al Qaida + Taliban + tribal leaders/warlords together).
Either way, the corruption that surrounds the CIA's involvement with Al Qaeda does raise many questions.
Especially about 9/11.

Quote:
Nah, they are not that stupid either. Thats exactly what they want, that you feel superior to their schemes and have a feeling of knowing everything there is to know about it.
You know, you may be right about that.

Quote:
Well, with regards to not actively doing something and complaining a lot... I think I am in the same boat.
Then we're in that boat together...at least we'll be in good company.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2011-07-22 at 02:18.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:41   Link #14945
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Great! When the US runs out of money to cross the Atlantic to shoot others, they start shooting themselves in the foot?

Debt talks begin critical phase

Quote:
(Reuters) - Efforts to avoid an unprecedented U.S. default enter crunch time on Friday, with President Barack Obama and top lawmakers engaged in a sometimes chaotic drive to strike a sweeping deficit-reduction deal.

With the clock ticking toward an August 2 deadline to raise the U.S. debt ceiling, Obama and the senior Republican in Congress, House Speaker John Boehner, worked toward a plan that could include up to $3 trillion in spending cuts but might leave tax reform for later, congressional aides said.

The main obstacle remained the issue of tax increases that Obama's Democrats demand and Republicans vehemently oppose. There were conflicting accounts of how and when higher revenue might kick in, and the White House vowed there would be no deal without this.

Negotiations have whipsawed between competing and even conflicting options, and leaders on both sides face resistance within their own ranks to some ideas now gaining traction.

"There will be plenty of haggling over the details of all these plans in the days ahead," Obama said in an appeal for compromise in a USA Today opinion piece. "But right now, we have the opportunity to do something big and meaningful."

The focus is on what congressional sources say is shaping up as a wide-ranging package of deficit cuts over 10 years, something many in Washington hope will help save America's triple-A credit rating. Rating agencies have threatened a U.S. bond downgrade without a comprehensive deficit-cutting deal.

Negotiators have struggled to break their impasse and winnow options for raising the government's $14.3 trillion debt ceiling. Failure to reach a deal to increase U.S. borrowing authority would render the world's biggest economy unable to pay all of its bills.

But confusion has grown amid a patchwork of proposals aimed at finding what a senior Democratic aide called the "magic formula" for resolving the crisis, which has dominated Washington's agenda for weeks.

BIPARTISAN RESISTANCE

"Frankly, we've looked at a half a dozen fallback plans, none of which are all that appetizing," Boehner -- struggling with Tea Party lawmakers largely opposed to any compromise with Obama -- told conservative talk-show host Rush Limbaugh.

Some Democrats have complained about what they see as Obama too willing to make concessions on social spending cuts and unhappy if he agrees to no immediate tax increases.

A gathering of Democratic congressional leaders at the White House late on Thursday was meant to not only inform them of developments but to possibly placate their concerns.

Friday is essentially the start of crunch time. The White House initially set a July 22 target for a deal that would leave enough time to get it through the legislative process. But it has backed off that timeframe in recent days with both sides still far apart on the issues.

If Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling in time, the United States would default on its obligations, possibly plunging the country back into recession and sparking a crisis in financial markets worldwide.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said earlier there had been momentum toward a "balanced" deficit agreement, but he insisted: "We are not close to a deal."

Despite the gulf between the two sides, reports that negotiators were starting to close in a debt deal helped fuel a rally in U.S. and world stocks on Thursday.

What remained clear was that both sides at still at odds over the thorniest issue on the table -- taxes.

Obama told National Public Radio any deal must include some tax increases alongside defense and other spending cuts. Many Republicans vow to oppose any tax hikes, while most Democrats insist on higher taxes for wealthier Americans.

While they could leave comprehensive tax reform for later, Obama and Congress could agree to revenue increases that would end some select tax breaks, such as special breaks enjoyed by ethanol blenders, some Wall Street investors and companies that operate corporate jets, congressional sources said.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-07-22, 05:06   Link #14946
Xion Valkyrie

Wealthier Americans can totally afford a slight tax hike. It's not like they're paying much with all the loop holes in place anyways...
Old 2011-07-22, 05:42   Link #14947
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Some of those "tax hikes" being negotiated involve *just* solving long-standing loopholes. Naturally the Republicans declare emphatically that this is wealth redistribution at its worst and would bring the End of America As We Know It. They'd rather throw the country to the dogs rather than mediate their radical, misguided ideology and surrender the slightest privilege.

I'd like to enjoy the absurdity and watch it all burn but, their fucking around affects me too, given that I'm in the USA and all. Sigh.
Old 2011-07-22, 06:29   Link #14948
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I find it amusing that its possible to be 14 trillion dollars in debt and still have a triple A credit rating.

Gotta love that system when you can screw it in your favor
Old 2011-07-22, 07:28   Link #14949
sa547
*Author

A posse of Filipino anons smashed through several Philippine government websites -- including a site belonging to Vice-President Jeojomar Binay -- and left messages with pics of Kyubey and other Madoka-related media:

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/me...website-hacked
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/223432/t...ww.dilg.gov.ph
http://www.philstar.com/nation/artic...ticleid=708834

Quote:
The website (www.ovp.gov.ph) was defaced with an anime image of what seems to be a white, feline-like creature with a pair of earrings.

Under the image, ineligible writings were also posted.

The background of the website was all-white while a Japanese-music (sic) played in the background.

The office of the Vice president has yet to issue a statement regarding the latest intrusion into its website.

Months ago, a hacker, known as Blackrain, defaced the OVP website.

Blackrain allegedly belongs to a hacker group which called Philker.

The group, however, stressed that it meant no harm in hacking into the government website.

In its last attack, the group left a message that they would again attempt to hack into the website.
One of them said they break in to tell that the Philippine government isn't doing anything about computer security, thus they're "doing them a favor" or "educating" them to understand the issue.

However, those sites are mostly hosted on web servers that were poorly maintained, secured and updated against SQL injections and other attack vectors; even the websites themselves are rarely updated, as they were set up only for public relations; information systems used by the Philippine government, as far as I'm concerned, are in enclosed systems with data communications that rarely go outside the network, and websites are hosted in separate servers not connected to their networks.
Old 2011-07-22, 09:22   Link #14950
killer3000ad

Massive explosions in Oslo,Norway.
Spoiler for Size:
Old 2011-07-22, 12:30   Link #14951
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Spoiler for Size:
I wonder who did it?

3 theories are leading in my head right now:

1. Radical islamists
2. Gaddafi arranged it
3. Radical Lapp seperatists!
Old 2011-07-22, 12:34   Link #14952
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Spoiler for Size:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I wonder who did it?

3 theories are leading in my head right now:

1. Radical islamists
2. Gaddafi arranged it
3. Radical Lapp seperatists!
4. Fundamental Odinist
Old 2011-07-22, 12:37   Link #14953
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Who has issues with the Norwegian government at this time?
Old 2011-07-22, 12:37   Link #14954
killer3000ad

Man dressed as policeman opens fire on youth camp in Utoya Island,Norway

Conincidence? Or part of a greater coordinated attack?
Old 2011-07-22, 12:48   Link #14955
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Assuming this was a terror attack... what I don't really understand is, how do you plant a bomb in the 3rd/4th floor of a government building (it looks like the most damaged part of the building)? Aren't there supposed to be security systems (also because of other reasons like espionage)?
Old 2011-07-22, 12:59   Link #14956
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Who has issues with the Norwegian government at this time?
Whale activists?
Old 2011-07-22, 13:01   Link #14957
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Assuming this was a terror attack... what I don't really understand is, how do you plant a bomb in the 3rd/4th floor of a government building (it looks like the most damaged part of the building)? Aren't there supposed to be security systems (also because of other reasons like espionage)?
Does Norway have much to worry about in the field of terrorism ?
at least, until a few hours ago ?
Old 2011-07-22, 13:19   Link #14958
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Ayman al-Zawahiri warned Norway before. They also gave political asylum to some of Chechen separatists. And some more.

Even if the current attacks have nothing to do with those - they should have seen this coming

Some info from wiki:
Quote:
Al Jazeera reported that several days prior to the explosion, Norwegian prosecutors filed a terrorism charge against Mullah Krekar, the founder of the Kurdish Ansar al-Islam, who faced accusations of threatening former Minister of Local Government and Regional Development Erna Solberg with death. He responded that "Norway will pay a heavy price for my death. If, for example, Erna Solberg deports me and I die as a result, she will suffer the same fate." However, Al Jazeera stated it was not clear whether the case was related to the blast. Mullah Krekar's lawyer Brynjar Meling denies that Krekar has any involvement with the bombing. Also, Erna Solberg (H) is in opposition to the ruling political party (AP).
Old 2011-07-22, 13:41   Link #14959
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Oh I guess I was mistaken. Looked at another photo. Seems like the explosion's epi-center was on the street (the arrangement of the debris seems to indicate it - somewhere in front of that lower building).
Old 2011-07-22, 13:55   Link #14960
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
whoever is behind these disgusting attacks, hopefully they will be caught and given what they deserve.
a fair trail and a swift hanging.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international