AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-08-11, 08:52   Link #721
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
If there are more than one of those Kerberos BuCUEs around, then we know what is Durandal's true purpose in sending someone in one of those to look after Agnes (Delta Astray pilot).

So that Agnes will stick by his word, seeing that he decided to 'side with' ZAFT by his own word.

And we all know what Durandal does when someone betrays him.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 22:54   Link #722
R4][N_M4l{3R
Stuttgart's Finest

Three 15 minute episodes...? That seems kind of lame, I think someone on another site summed it up best by saying Stargazer is an excuse for Bandai to sell more model kits.
R4][N_M4l{3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 23:09   Link #723
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4][N_M4l{3R
Three 15 minute episodes...? That seems kind of lame, I think someone on another site summed it up best by saying Stargazer is an excuse for Bandai to sell more model kits.
Have you SEEN episode 1?

Doubt it. So go and watch it before preaching to us about how bad it is. Stargazer has not disappointed anyone thus far.

15 minutes of quality is better than 6 episodes of the GSD conclusion arc.
Old 2006-11-24, 02:48   Link #724
M. Holcroft

Having seen all three Stages of Stargazer, let me just say this:

STAGE 1
Great. I loved the whole Tank VS GINN Battle, and I just liked the whole thing, except what happened to Ed. And the WTF moment with those kids.

STAGE 2
Loved the intro with the three PP Gundams kicking arse. Didn't like Sven's camp assignment too much, but the background was kind of nice. Sucks about Mudie, though - I felt certain Shams'd go first. But at least we got to see Sven put the Strike Noir through its paces - I'd say he could give even some of the UC aces a good run for their money one-on-one.

STAGE 3
More Sven background and a third Girty Lue-class ship, this one called "Nana Buluku". Some pretty good combat, and then some really, really cheesy stuff with Stargazer. More Sven background. Shams bites it. Ending was good, but there was a fair deal of room for improvement.

OVERALL
I'm VERY disappointed with how readily marginalized most secondary characters were, though Sven himself got more character development in about 52 minutes than any of the GS or GSD cast did in two whole series. It could've done a better job of going into the background of the other two PP pilots, for instance.
IMHO, of the whole thing, the best line goes to Mudie:

"Is there a fool in this world, who'd seek help from Phantom Pain?"
M. Holcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 03:32   Link #725
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Holcroft View Post
Sven himself got more character development in about 52 minutes than any of the GS or GSD cast did in two whole series.
I'm sorry, but please tell me this statement is a joke. I like Sven just fine, but even Kuzzey/Sai/Tolle got more character developments than him. Of course, not that I'm blaming Sven or the writer(s) for this. And besides, I don't know what happens in Delta Astray. But as far as Stargazer is concerned, Sven has little development at all.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 04:16   Link #726
anselfir
Style Über Alles

What is development. Is it change in the character? I dont believe that is necessary in order for one to enjoy or like a character. Character development to me is allowing the viewer to see deeper into the character, and this can be done gradually through revealing bits of information about the character, and that informatin includes both history and present actions/beliefs.
Old 2006-11-24, 04:30   Link #727
monster

Well, I do like Sven as it is. But as far as depth is concerned, Nichol had more to offer than Sven in Stargazer.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 04:57   Link #728
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Character development to me is a nominal and rational progression that simply develops a character... Basically that it makes sense how a character journeys from A to B to later on Z...

Is it vital for every person watching? (Or every character in said anime for that matter) Does one have to even engage themselves in the credibility of it? Obviously not as we all enjoy what we enjoy and seek out what we seek in any given character's story, but that's where context comes into play...I'm not looking at a shonen baddy like I'm looking at a Gundam baddy,... I'm not hard-pressing a guy who powers-up to yellow energy like I'm hard-pressing a guy whose a militaristic leader...It's all about context and what we as viewers are trying to achieve via the selected medium...Even the word "deeper" is subjective as many find deepness to be quite relatable to relevant "change" in a character...

As for Sven I'd say his development was average to good given the time-constraints...It still bothers me that everybody working on Gundam right now is obsessed with flashbacking to define development rather than good ole fashion talking and syllabic situations (i.e. dialouge), but I think by it's conclusion you get a decent idea of who Sven is...Unfortunatley though that's just one chocolate-chip in a biga$$ cookie when you're talking about 45 mins of screentime...