AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-02, 06:48   Link #1
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Star Wars: The old republic.

A new and upcoming Star Wars MMO game from Bioware, creators of the first Knights of the Old Republic.

set 300 years after Knights of the Old Republic, this new game is set in a war where the true Sith Empire returned from the depths of space to lay waste to the Republic. You get to choose a side and fight, either with good intent or evil ones, for the faction you choose.

But enough explanation, let's let the trailer do the talking, shall we?

And of course, obligatory link to the games homepage: swtor.com

Now let the discussion begin.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-06-06 at 15:40.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 06:53   Link #2
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Ah I shouldn't have asked... of course you have seen the trailer! xD

Man I'm pretty exited about the game.

Well it being a MMORPG I fear I get my expections to high, but I think it can't be helped right now.
My fanboy mode is activated! xD
Old 2009-06-02, 06:56   Link #3
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

This is the one MMORPG that has a chance of dethroning WoW as far as I'm concerned. I know it's the only one that's got a chance of pulling me away.
Old 2009-06-02, 07:00   Link #4
Dop
Mmmm....

The trailer looks good, but I suspect that like all Star Wars games it'll come down to bashing away with coloured lightsticks until the enemy falls over.

This was always the problem with Star Wars games. In the movies the lightsaber is an incredibly powerful weapon, slice pretty much everything in one swipe. You can't reproduce that in a game without the difficulty level going through the roof. So you end up with your character whacking away at the enemy character with a brightly coloured stick until they fall over, or your character falls over, which ever comes first.

That said, KOTOR was one of the best Star Wars games ever made.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 07:11   Link #5
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
but I suspect that like all Star Wars games it'll come down to bashing away with coloured lightsticks until the enemy falls over.
All Star Wars games? I remember getting a lot of one slash kills in the Jedi Knight series.

But yeah, as it is an MMO it will surly tone down force users so others can match them equally.
At least they made it like in KOTOR and the animations are made so that they match and it won't look that they slash each other with lightsabers all the time.

Back to the trailer: Is it just me or does the Sith Lord really looks like a even moar evil Malak?
Old 2009-06-02, 07:22   Link #6
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I say we all go on the same server (Those who get it) and start a "guild" if there are guilds.

it be fun to play with everyone and we have the forums
Old 2009-06-02, 07:26   Link #7
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Ah I shouldn't have asked... of course you have seen the trailer! xD
Of course I have! Frankly I'm more surprised I didn't make a thread for this months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
The trailer looks good, but I suspect that like all Star Wars games it'll come down to bashing away with coloured lightsticks until the enemy falls over.

This was always the problem with Star Wars games. In the movies the lightsaber is an incredibly powerful weapon, slice pretty much everything in one swipe. You can't reproduce that in a game without the difficulty level going through the roof. So you end up with your character whacking away at the enemy character with a brightly coloured stick until they fall over, or your character falls over, which ever comes first.

That said, KOTOR was one of the best Star Wars games ever made.
From the way it looks so far, this game may partially circumvent that like KotoR did, with the lightsabers actually hitting lighstabers instead of the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Back to the trailer: Is it just me or does the Sith Lord really looks like a even moar evil Malak?
No, it's not just you. Though this guy makes Malak look like a cute little kitty in terms of appearances.
Old 2009-06-02, 07:35   Link #8
Narona
Emotionless White Face

The big bad guy looks a bit like Darth Malak :3

Not gonna get it though, but the trailer was very starwars-ish.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 08:02   Link #9
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I say we all go on the same server (Those who get it) and start a "guild" if there are guilds.

it be fun to play with everyone and we have the forums
Sure, no problem with me!
But to say it in advance: I plan on playing Sith.
Old 2009-06-02, 08:09   Link #10
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Currently the Trooper class is looking pretty darned attractive to me. But we'll see, prior to the Trooper class I was dead-set on playing a Jedi, so I'm quick to switch 'I wanna play' sides right now.
Old 2009-06-02, 08:13   Link #11
Jaden

This is the upcoming title I'm most excited about. Can't wait to be able to play a sith again.

It seems the storyline will be the main focus of this game and the MMO elements will be something in-between. They also allow for a very long story with content patches over time and will of course make the game much more profitable.

Considering how much money WoW makes compared to other PC games...it's like night and day...it's the obvious business model to take.

I'm imagining this game will be like Guild Wars, except the story will rock and the PvP will suck. It's like, the main point will be playing through the campaign, solo or with friends. Then it will have optional missions for the purpose of developing your character, and there will be human-played characters among the opponents. And of course neutral planets with gladiator arenas, contested space where the factions can fight for control and benefits, etc. Maybe a space-shooter game mode too.

It could work as a competitive PvP game too, but I predict not. For me the selling point is the story and roleplaying, that's what Bioware is good at anyway.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 08:18   Link #12
Hourai Rabbit
Blissfully Ignorant

Wow the Bounty Hunter in that trailer looks badass. Makes me want to play Bounty Hunter. But we'll see when the game comes out; there may be other more appealing options. Also, I'm torn between loyalties to the various sites I visit because inevitably they'll start forming whatever the equivalent of guilds are in this game. Any plans for an AS guild?
Old 2009-06-02, 08:19   Link #13
denice25

nice trailer..... awesome....
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 11:27   Link #14
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

i like how the Sith guy had two female companions with him XD what a Pimp.

I was praying that at the end after the good guy died, his Apprentice would see it, get enraged and attack with a ARmy of Troopers behind him, taking out the Bounty Hunter in the prosess causing them to retreat.

I already plan on making a Trooper first, then Bounty Hunter then Jedi/sith
Old 2009-06-02, 11:40   Link #15
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

What I find interesting is that both factions have different classes. Ok I don't doubt that they will be similiar for balancing reasons but an interesting concept nontheless.

Like WoW before the release of Burning Crusade.
Old 2009-06-02, 11:44   Link #16
Xacual

I'm interested in how the game will go, hoping it won't let me down like a lot of other star wars games that have come out in recent years. I'd probably go with a bounty hunter just because of how awesome bounty hunters were in the star wars universe.

The problem WoW had with the different classes for different factions is that the two weren't remotely balanced. Paladins were just way better which created a lot of issues. Bioware will either have to make them basically the same skill wise or try to balance the abilities out in creative ways. One way will probably take a lot of work or they could go the easy route, it really depends.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 15:58   Link #17
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Talks at the E3 have revealed a Sneak preview to the smuggler's class.

Highlights:

"The smuggler class utilizes a dynamic cover system in combat, which is also a first for the MMO space."

Cover in MMO's? Hell yes! That oughta help to make combat less 'run to their face and bash them.' and more tactical thinking.

"The "social character" has always been a huge role in BioWare games, and the smuggler gives us a chance to have the perfect protagonist for it. For boys who want to chat up the princess while the other nobles look on aghast, for girls who want to bat their eyelashes at their rivals just before shooting them in the knee then laugh [at how gullible he was], for everyone that feels as much triumph from a good con job as a shoot-out and loves being the scoundrel, the smuggler is a dream come true. Of course, The Old Republic is about choices, and if you want to spec your smuggler out to be a scruffy-looking nerfherder with a gun, a bad attitude, and a propensity to shoot first and ask questions later, that route is always there. Just don't expect that "flirt" line you just picked to work nearly as well. "

Looks like we will get more choices than we realize. So we get to chose between 'I blast your head off' or 'I'll talk my way out of this' characters? This reminds me of KotoR. And that is never a bad thing.

"You see, many smugglers are real charmers and like a little class with their appearance--think Lando in Cloud City. In fact, when discussing gear, we affectionately refer to one of the high-end smuggler player-versus-player reward sets as the "Bling" outfit. "

So you mean I get to kick ass and look good doing it?
Old 2009-06-02, 16:26   Link #18
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Ok... this really looks promising. Oo
Old 2009-06-02, 16:57   Link #19
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Can they actually make an MMO that will look that cool while playing it? Because players can't usually do the really cool stuff outside of cut scenes.

On the other hand, this is LucasArts...they've been able to make stuff cool first before.
Old 2009-06-02, 17:08   Link #20
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Bioware, actually. And that depends, what do you classify as 'cool stuff?'

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows