AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-07-08, 12:20   Link #2021
nagare
魔女狩り続行中

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auria View Post
I remember it was already stated somewhere but I can't seem to find it.. x_x" What pronouns are used by Beatrice for "I"? There was at least one that was extraordinary and old, but I forgot it.. x_x
She usually refers to herself as 妾 (warawa) which is not really used anymore.
Later, she uses 私 (watashi). This is genderless, btw.

Quote:
Which episode and chapter was this joke where you kinda had to cut the vowels and something different came out.. I scrolled accidently forward at that time but I was told it's funny lol

Thanks in advance.

@rogerpepitone
what the - hey I wonder how this joke was in the original japanese XD thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
"あぁ、カモメカモメカチンカチン、みたいなヤツさ。“”を抜いたらなぁに"

That's the original, but I don't fully understand it. I don't know if it has some meaning, "kachin" seems like an onomatopeia. Anyway if you remove the "ka" you get "momemomechinchin"

"chin" means penis, "mome" I don't know but I can guess...
mome is grope.

I'll try to explain this as I'm part responsible for how it was translated.
I'm not sure how the witch-hunt ended up with the final translation but when Rudolf says the カモメカモメカチンカチン line, Rudolf mentions to Natsuhi that the riddle is like the infamous Tanuki one.

I think using the Tanuki example will explain why this riddle is as is.
*Note: Tanuki (狸 or タヌキ) means raccoon.
Quote:
タコタレタヨタメタマタスタカ? x(狸)
takotaretayotametamatasutaka? x(tanku)

The clue here is the x(狸) which means kill the タヌキ (tanuki) or in other words simply cross out the タ (ta)

So the sentence becomes:
タコタレタヨタメタマタスタカ? x(狸) ->
takotaretayotametamatasutaka? x(tanuki)

_コ_レ_ヨ_メ_マ_ス_カ? x(狸) ->
_ko_re_yo_me_ma_su_ka? x(tanuki)

これ、読めますか?
koreyomemasuka? (can you read this?)
The reason why you determine to cross out the タ (ta) is because タヌキ (tanuki) is a message within itself.
Read it literally it is:
タ ヌキ -> タ(を)ヌキ -> 「タ」を抜け
ta nuki -> ta (wo) nuki -> "ta" wo nuke
ta = letter
nuki/nuke = means "to take out"
So tanuki is a message within itself to take out the "ta"

As to why Rudolf/Ryukishi came up with:
あぁ、カモメカモメカチンカチン、みたいなヤツさ。“カ”を抜いたらなぁに

My guess is:
カモメ means sea gull
カチンカチン means hard
"カ"を抜いた probably shouldn't be read as "Ka" wo nukitara
力 is also the kanji for Chikara.
Chikara wo nuku means to loosen up and is a common phase.
This is probably why Natushi didn't get the joke b/c she couldn't make the logical jump from 力 (chikara) -> カ (ka / in katakana)

I suggested just dropping the literal translation as this can't be translated too well and just go for the overall reasoning in the translation.
nagare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 15:09   Link #2022
Shamisen
Talking Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Bernkastel View Post
umm just saw the new portrait...(not sure if it's a real one though=O well, probably)

Spoiler for EP5 portarit:

Disturbing...
Spoiler for EP 5 Portrait:
Shamisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 17:57   Link #2023
Cross Clown
rule 63, pl0x

Yeah, I got a problem with my version of umineko, after Kinzo's speech in ep 1, I get a black screen and then music keeps looping.

This happens for the intro for every chapter.

EDIT: Never mind, it works now, it was my error.

Last edited by Cross Clown; 2009-07-08 at 22:36.
Cross Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 22:21   Link #2024
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Clown View Post
Yeah, I got a problem with my version of umineko, after Kinzo's speech in ep 1, I get a black screen and then music keeps looping.

This happens for the intro for every chapter.
Kinzo has a lot of speeches in EP1
PM me about it and we'll get it fixed.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 03:14   Link #2025
Mercurius

Don't know how this got posted in the anime general thread, but I wanted to know the word that is translated as 'One-winged Eagle'. Apparently in the anime it's 方翼の鷲 (katayoku no washi). Any info on alternate readings/meanings of the phrase would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2009-07-09, 09:58   Link #2026
nagare
魔女狩り続行中

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
Don't know how this got posted in the anime general thread, but I wanted to know the word that is translated as 'One-winged Eagle'. Apparently in the anime it's 方翼の鷲 (katayoku no washi). Any info on alternate readings/meanings of the phrase would be greatly appreciated.
That is the literal translation.
I do not know of any other way to read this and doubt there is another reading.
If it helps, 方翼 (one winged) kinda has the symbolism of hurt/damaged/wounded/fallen ___ that keeps on fighting. More or less.
Old 2009-07-09, 10:26   Link #2027
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I have a question for the folks who were working with the translation. It's not translation-related, but rather technical (although it has nothing to do with how the game runs in and of itself).

What the heck is the deal with Umineko's install footprint? Okay, I can understand the 500+ MB of music. There's a lot of it, and it's really good, and it's in .ogg so they're doing about as well as they can with that. But I did a sprite extraction of the main folder to make goofy images and look through the backgrounds without people on top of them and... seriously, what?

BITMAPS? Uncompressed (other than by the NSA) bitmaps? A single Nanjo portrait is 1.07 MB. In PNG, it's 77 KB with absolutely no change to image quality. If you compressed the something like 800+ MB of graphics to a less moronic format, the game would waste infinitely less space. So I guess what I have to know is... does nScripter honestly not support any image format that isn't BMP? Seriously?
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 11:08   Link #2028
Lady_Bernkastel

I have a question. I am still trying to install Umineko 4, but the problem is that I need to change the settings to japanese....then, I won't have english characters....(that's why I didn't do that yet)
isn't there a way to write in english even if you change all the regional settings to jap?
(it's a bit of a problem if i wouldn't be able to read nor write in english....especially when I quite don't understand jap).
I really want to play it already TT please help.
Lady_Bernkastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 11:09   Link #2029
tcaz2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I have a question for the folks who were working with the translation. It's not translation-related, but rather technical (although it has nothing to do with how the game runs in and of itself).

What the heck is the deal with Umineko's install footprint? Okay, I can understand the 500+ MB of music. There's a lot of it, and it's really good, and it's in .ogg so they're doing about as well as they can with that. But I did a sprite extraction of the main folder to make goofy images and look through the backgrounds without people on top of them and... seriously, what?

BITMAPS? Uncompressed (other than by the NSA) bitmaps? A single Nanjo portrait is 1.07 MB. In PNG, it's 77 KB with absolutely no change to image quality. If you compressed the something like 800+ MB of graphics to a less moronic format, the game would waste infinitely less space. So I guess what I have to know is... does nScripter honestly not support any image format that isn't BMP? Seriously?
I think I remember someone saying that the reason it's so big is because "Ryuukishi had the 'great' idea of converting all the images into bitmaps for Episode 4."

So I assume he didn't do it before.

As for why... I have no clue! Maybe someone else will.
tcaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 11:16   Link #2030
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Bernkastel View Post
I have a question. I am still trying to install Umineko 4, but the problem is that I need to change the settings to japanese....then, I won't have english characters....(that's why I didn't do that yet)
isn't there a way to write in english even if you change all the regional settings to jap?
(it's a bit of a problem if i wouldn't be able to read nor write in english....especially when I quite don't understand jap).
I really want to play it already TT please help.
that's not true... you can change all the settings to japanese, keep the keyboard in english and you can install the game, play it and still write in english

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 11:57   Link #2031
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

If it's not too much trouble, could somebody translate or summarize what Ryuukishi07 wrote in his latest entry?

http://07th-expansion.net/Cgi/clip/clip.cgi

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 12:11   Link #2032
milkypink
♥~☆~♥

Well, that settles that... the official reading of 散 is "chiru" ちる. Not what I would have expected.

I can't quite figure out what クリンナップ is supposed to be... is he trying to say クリーンアップ? :/
milkypink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 12:14   Link #2033
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I think it is something like... clean up...?
Old 2009-07-09, 12:56   Link #2034
Goose Boy
Happiness witch´s followe

Im bad at japanese so: is ryukishi saying something about that he finished writing EP5 and it will be in EP1?

what is キャラ?
Goose Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 13:11   Link #2035
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

I THINK it's "chara" short for "character".
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 13:14   Link #2036
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Sooo... EP5 will take place in the world of EP1 and it's near completion but is being cleaned up? O.o

Old 2009-07-09, 14:07   Link #2037
nagare
魔女狩り続行中

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
If it's not too much trouble, could somebody translate or summarize what Ryuukishi07 wrote in his latest entry?

http://07th-expansion.net/Cgi/clip/clip.cgi
Sure, I'll do a rough translation.

Quote:
クリンナップに入りました 投稿者:竜騎士07 投稿日:2009/07/10(Fri) 01:21
Title: In clean up

今週初めに、想定される新表情をどばっと書き、ついにクリンナップに入りました。
(それでもまだ、一部のキャラには足りない表情があるとの報告がスタッフから。この辺りは、クリンナップと 平行してですね)
Starting this week, I have drawn the new facial expressions, and now it is in clean up. (But still, my staff has informed me that certain characters are lacking some expressions. This part will be processed along with the clean up).

さぁ、いよいよEP5制作の佳境です。
Now, let's get on the with climax of EP 05.

すでにショップさんの方から情報が出ておりますね。
今回よりタイトルは、『うみねこのなく頃に散』となります。
It seems the shops have leaked the information.
This time, the title will be 『Umineko no naku koro ni 散』

読みは、“うみねこのなくころにチル”になります。
You read it as "Umineko no naku koro ni Chiru".

クリンナップは、まだ第1アイキャッチに至った程度。
まだまだこれからです。
しかし、これまでの勘と感覚はかなり戻ってきているので、これからどんどんギアが入っていくと 思います。
The clean up process have just finish more or less to the first eye-catch.
There still much to do.
But, my sense and tact is returning to me, so I think I'll be pushing the gears soon enough.

何だか、全ての終焉のようなクライマックス感がありますが、ようやく折り返しの第一話。気合を入れ直し、ま すますにがんばりたいところです。
Well, it feels like this climax is ending it all, but it's just the first episode of the fight back. With this, I like to pull myself together, and continue to work harder.

今回の修羅場では、なるせ椿さんがご飯を作ってくれて、外食に行かなくなったのが最大のポイン ト!
しっかりと食事を取れるお陰で、間食がなくなり、何だか健康的な修羅場になりそうな感じです。
The biggest highlight of this hell hole is that, Naruse (tsubaki?)-san is cooking for us, so we didn't have to go out and eat!
Because we got good hardy meals, we didn't have to snack, so it seems we're going to have a healthy hellish workplace.

Edit:
Opps.
クリンナップというのはアニメの動画を描く基本技術
Learn something new. Not really familiar with animation stages.
If you guys want a visual example of where he's at drawing wise: http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~kokotana/seisaku2.htm
I guess it's specific work lingo.

Last edited by nagare; 2009-07-09 at 14:21.
Old 2009-07-09, 14:11   Link #2038
Lady_Bernkastel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
that's not true... you can change all the settings to japanese, keep the keyboard in english and you can install the game, play it and still write in english
How can I do that? the last time i change the settings (it uninstalls all other languages or something, right?), it wrote in japanese =O
(oh, and will all [english] sites be written in jap letters when I change it?)

Last edited by Lady_Bernkastel; 2009-07-09 at 14:45.
Lady_Bernkastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 15:03   Link #2039
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagare View Post
Sure, I'll do a rough translation.

Edit:
Opps.
クリンナップというのはアニメの動画を描く基本技術
Learn something new. Not really familiar with animation stages.
If you guys want a visual example of where he's at drawing wise: http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~kokotana/seisaku2.htm
I guess it's specific work lingo.
Ahh thank you. ^^

Old 2009-07-09, 15:08   Link #2040
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

OH. Duh, I feel stupid now, after looking at those images, I get that the word IS "clean up" . Basically, "cleaning up" the little flaws in drawings.
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation