AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-16, 08:33   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Hyouka. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are human.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2012-05-23, 00:53   Link #2
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm actually loving the voice work in this show. This is really the first time I've been so enthusiastic about a Satou Satomi character. She projects her voice in ways that fit the character and the images so well.

And Nakamura Yuuichi has grown and grown on me as we get to ep5. He is really pulling off the subtle shift in Oreki's character. At first I found the character too depressive and pedestrian. But he has gradually revealed himself. I've just rewatched the first couple of episodes, and now I can see how Nakamura was working on this from the start.

Even Sakaguchi Daisuke -- whose similar sidekick character I loathed in Clannad -- is just terrific here, in my opinion. He keeps giving us glimpses of a fresh, real person.

But the VA who really does it for me in this show is Kayano Ai as Mayaka. I have never seen this type of character done with such verve and immediacy.

And Yuuki Aoi, Koshimizu Ami, Hayami Saori, Konishi Katsuyuki, Yukana, Irino Miyu, Hirohashi Ryou and others are yet to come (unless maybe I have not noticed the odd word from them before now).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-05-23, 04:41   Link #3
rulfo

Very eager to see Yukana perform in the next arc.
Old 2012-05-25, 03:10   Link #4
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Lots of good points about Mayaka's surprising harshness toward Houtarou. I think she feels that his negativity and indolence draw Satoshi away from her, monopolizing his time. But I also think (hope) that we will see some flashback to a past incident that explains her jaundiced eye more clearly.

But the main thing for me is how totally bowled over I am by Kayano Ai's work as Mayaka's seiyuu. She won a "new seiyuu" award last year, and she could win a "best supporting seiyuu" award for this, in my opinion. She just conveys a personality so vividly. Kayano Ai (click to enlarge):

She's 24 and came to seiyuu work late. She first worked as a "relaxation therapist" in a spa. She used to come home from work late at night and watch anime, and was captivated by ARIA and began using her savings to pay for seiyuu school. Some of her previous roles are Milia in Last Exile Fam, Inori in Guilty Crown, and Menma in AnoHana. More info.
I think it's more appropriated to say it here, so here goes.

Thanks for the info. I was only half-convinced by her performance as Menma and Inori. The former because she came out as a little annoying, and the later a little flat. Now That I think about it, that was actually exactly like it should be given the characters. Her role as Mayaka, with her wider range of emotions, shows that she can really bring it out. Her performance compliment nicely with the detailed gesture that was put in.
Old 2012-05-31, 02:39   Link #5
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I have, have, HAVE to give props to Satomi Satou here; when I jumped into this series only hearing that she would be in this, I had no idea that she was Chitanda. If anything, I would've guessed she sounded more like Ibaya (who kinda even reminds me of Ritsu in a way).

From over-the-top zany to charmingly mysterious, she does one heck of a job.
Old 2012-05-31, 03:12   Link #6
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I wasn't that surprise by her role as Eru because I get the impression from a couple interview I see of her that she's actually quite a "girly" girl. It's just that her breakout role is Ritsu. In fact, if Hyouka aired before K-On!, I think I'd be very surprised by how good she can portrait Ritsu.

Doesn't make her performance any less impressive though.
Old 2012-07-24, 06:01   Link #7
Silverwyrm

Both the male cast members, Hotaro and Satoshi...I know i have heard them before (I think) what other characters have they done?
Old 2012-07-24, 06:29   Link #8
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Both the male cast members, Hotaro and Satoshi...I know i have heard them before (I think) what other characters have they done?
Yuuichi Nakamura - Houtarou
Daisuke Sakaguchi - Satoshi

They are probably most well known for portraying Tomoya Okazaki (anime version) and Youhei Sunohara from CLANNAD (respectively), which KyoAni adapted into anime form.

Speaking of which, I was thinking we could try to compile the insane number of voice actors in this anime into a list, would anyone like to help?
Old 2012-07-24, 12:52   Link #9
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Did you look at the first post in the Hyouka - General Discussion thread, yet?
Old 2012-07-24, 12:57   Link #10
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Okay,..so my Kanae Itou fanboyism may perhaps just be making me a little bit paranoid but I swear I heard her voice in that Calligraphy girl in Ep 13 and again in Ep 14 as one of the pumpkin girls. If anyone can confirm this so I can sleep at night then that would be great...
Old 2012-07-24, 13:14   Link #11
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Okay,..so my Kanae Itou fanboyism may perhaps just be making me a little bit paranoid but I swear I heard her voice in that Calligraphy girl in Ep 13 and again in Ep 14 as one of the pumpkin girls. If anyone can confirm this so I can sleep at night then that would be great...
She's one of the pumpkin girls, but not the calligraphy girl. Cast list

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-07-24, 13:25   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So I'm only half paranoid then.

Thank you.
Old 2012-07-24, 23:02   Link #13
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Yuuichi Nakamura - Houtarou
Daisuke Sakaguchi - Satoshi

They are probably most well known for portraying Tomoya Okazaki (anime version) and Youhei Sunohara from CLANNAD (respectively), which KyoAni adapted into anime form.

Speaking of which, I was thinking we could try to compile the insane number of voice actors in this anime into a list, would anyone like to help?
Well that explains that! Those two make a good pair it seems.
Old 2012-07-24, 23:16   Link #14
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Did you look at the first post in the Hyouka - General Discussion thread, yet?
I saw the list... I don't suppose we could add little pictures next to their names or something to make them a little easier to identify?
(The MAL page is good, but I'm curious about all the ones with question marks on them...)
Old 2012-09-25, 02:55   Link #15
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I especially impressed by Sato Satomi performance during the conversation between Houtarou and Eru behind the curtain on the last episode. It's still unmistakably Eru's voice yet indeed sounded like "lady Chitanda" instead of the ever curious girl. She also did a great job finding the balance between the two "mode" of Eru in the last during the last scene as well.
Closed Thread