AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 6 13.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 11.63%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 18.60%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 16.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 13.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.65%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 4.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.33%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-07, 03:36   Link #41
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Let's be fair here, even if they did who would they put in charge?
Probably Faldio.
Old 2009-09-07, 04:06   Link #42
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
The answer is obvious. Faldio of course.
Old 2009-09-07, 06:39   Link #43
Father Hentai

Quote:
Chancellor Borg. He is the true power behind the political curtain and may also be the minister of war in a state of war.

Quote:
I actually had a good impression of that officer.....

What's sad is seeing such a high ranking officer get into a brawl with "militia men" while being surrounded by army soldiers. This whole charade kinda destroys the military atmosphere.

Imagine if it was an actual military base (Say US) and a general got into a slapfight with a platoon.
Brawls aren't uncommon. If you want to reference to comradeship, then I can only repeat that this is an illusion. Or at least we can say it has become one at the very moment when the regulars see themselves better than the militia although they are wearing the same uniform, fighting for the same reason. And the biggest mistake that dude made was that he went personal in regards of Alicia.

1. ) I very doubt that the U.S. will handle like that because they are too scared to get screwed with the MP or the county police.

2.) Also I doubt that you will see a general will get in a camp brawl because he is mostly surrounded by his lackeys or is too busy for such a minor role. In most cases he lets the MP handle this or the troops under themselves.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2009-09-07 at 09:08.
Old 2009-09-07, 11:42   Link #44
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
U.S. Soldiers as a whole, are far too disciplined to have some brawl involving the higher ranking officers. There is a chain of command, and no need for Generals/Admirals and the like to fist fight anyone.
Old 2009-09-07, 16:13   Link #45
kalbron

Maybe it's something more limited to European militaries? Given that you have nations over there deploying soldiers to warzones where the only thing they're legally allowed by their parliment to do is sit on their ass and drool, it wouldn't surprise me if they got into brawls with each other to relieve the boredom.

Now I get it! The VC anime is simply a well vieled criticism of the way most European nations militaries function! I should have seen it from the begining... >_>
Old 2009-09-07, 16:25   Link #46
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Maybe it's something more limited to European militaries?
Sure as heck not in the former German Wehrmacht. German officers are usually very close to their enlisted men. I am not too sure about the modern Bundeswehr, but I think such occasion is rare, if any existed at all.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-09-07, 16:46   Link #47
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Sure as heck not in the former German Wehrmacht. German officers are usually very close to their enlisted men. I am not too sure about the modern Bundeswehr, but I think such occasion is rare, if any existed at all.

- Tak
I think what the bottom line is... This anime takes very little from real world military/militia discipline/protocols.
Old 2009-09-07, 17:19   Link #48
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I think what the bottom line is... This anime takes very little from real world military/militia discipline/protocols.
Even in the game, the only incident involving anywhere near a brawl was Welkin punching Faldio, and the latter deserved it!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-09-07, 18:49   Link #49
kalbron

And Welkin got sanctioned for it at any rate.
Old 2009-09-07, 19:22   Link #50
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
They are close to their subordinates but not as much as the sergeants, the backbone of the german army.
Old 2009-09-08, 02:02   Link #51
klare

Quote:
haha so true

if Selvaria lose, we can expect to see Max's secret weapon
Old 2009-09-08, 02:18   Link #52
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
If you asked me to be serious, I think a huge promotion for Captain Eleanor Varrot would have been welcome from the high commmand or the Princess herself.

We have to look at a number of criteria (no particular order): 1) amount of respect earned from his/her subordinates, 2) good experience in the force, 3) prestige earned by accumulating victories and 4) willingness to weigh all options before making a decision (mainly tactics). Eleanor Varrot has quite everything along these criteria by being fully respected by all the men and women serving under her orders, accumulating almost 20 years of pretty good and loyal military service, she used her personel very well to earn many key victories (no matter what people say about tactics used), and she always keeps a touch of realism before making decisions (unlike Damon's rash decisions based on illusions).

In times of war, when a general doesn't do his job as supreme commander in any campaign, you should expect him to be removed. Also, you should expect to see more of that until they find one who will be successful as a leader and a tactician at the same time. You know, both the French and German armies replaced a lot of generals as supreme commander on the Western front in WWI: Joseph Joffre, Robert Nivelle, Helmuth von Moltke and Erich von Falkenhayn were replaced, just to name a few.

I like reading history as a whole and I sometimes compare Cap.Varrot to Canadian General (Sir) Arthur Currie. That man was quite the best among Commonwealth generals by developing a single division of Canadian volunteers into 4 divisions of effective shock troops (that reminds me of the Gallian militia), but didn't reach the rank of supreme commander because he was Canadian and not British (just like Eleanor didn't come from traditional military background). It's quite a shame to think Eleanor would never get that rank for all kinds of unfair reasons when she would have made a fine general in chief for the time being should the war being extended because of Damon's incompetence, forcing Princess Cordelia to take action.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2009-09-08 at 03:09.
Old 2009-09-08, 02:34   Link #53
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Chancellor Borg. He is the true power behind the political curtain and may also be the minister of war in a state of war.
You are trying to find logical conclusion? Admirable but I think anime studios obvious fanboy-ism is much stronger than your logic thus it would be Faldio.
Old 2009-09-08, 03:02   Link #54
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Eleanor has a big thing going against her when considering promotion: she's not of noble birth. We tend to forget it because we watch things from their side, but Gallia is quite a retrograde monarchy.

Now as a special thanks to our hundredth customer, and because the anime will never shed light on such an amazing character, here's Cpt. Eleanor Varrot's bio (no worries, it's bereft of any real spoilers):
Spoiler for Cpt. Eleanor Varrot's biography:
Old 2009-09-08, 09:33   Link #55
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
You are trying to find logical conclusion? Admirable but I think anime studios obvious fanboy-ism is much stronger than your logic thus it would be Faldio.
If you want a direct answer, yes. Faldio is in the chain of command at almost on the bottom of the chain. Sergeants are the lowest ranks in the chain. Therefore there is no actual reason to blame Faldio.

If you are speaking because he is guilty of shooting at a comrade and a subordinate. Well, it was a risk and at the and it was an action what turned the tide of war. It may be a radical way but it saved the Gallians butt to be wiped out.

Two points what speaks against him charge responsibilities.
Old 2009-09-08, 14:30   Link #56
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Eleanor has a big thing going against her when considering promotion: she's not of noble birth. We tend to forget it because we watch things from their side, but Gallia is quite a retrograde monarchy.

Now as a special thanks to our hundredth customer, and because the anime will never shed light on such an amazing character, here's Cpt. Eleanor Varrot's bio (no worries, it's bereft of any real spoilers):
Spoiler for Cpt. Eleanor Varrot's biography:
I hope you're not telling me Gen. Damon is some kind of baron, 'cause that would feel weird. Besides, I don't remember Welkin's father to be from noble bloodline or anything as he was a general himself and a great one BTW; one of the reasons behind his ranking and legend status must be his achivements as well as the respect he earned from his subordinates.

Speaking of Eleanor's biography, there's more than enough elements in there which tells us how a fine general she would be: respected, has experience with almost 20 years of service, has knowledge about how soldiers think (thus the touch of realism in tactics), has work ethic (if your superior/leader works hard and well, expect the subordinates to do the same with similar results). As I wrote earlier, it's almost like Eleanor Varrot was modeled upon Sir Arthur Currie to quite some extent.

I guess no one will ever know, but there could have been a possibility Eleanor Varrot would be promoted to supreme commander by Princess Cordelia should the war has been going poorly for Gallia because of Damon's poor tactics (David Lloyd George was ready to name Currie as supreme commander of all Commonwealth forces should WWI was extended to 1919, much to a possible dismay of British-born officers). Anyway in the game, she took a big chunk of commanding reponsabilities (if not to lead the whole of Gallian forces as supreme commander) after...

Spoiler:

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2009-09-08 at 14:48.
Old 2009-09-08, 14:51   Link #57
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
If you want a direct answer, yes. Faldio is in the chain of command at almost on the bottom of the chain. Sergeants are the lowest ranks in the chain. Therefore there is no actual reason to blame Faldio.

If you are speaking because he is guilty of shooting at a comrade and a subordinate. Well, it was a risk and at the and it was an action what turned the tide of war. It may be a radical way but it saved the Gallians butt to be wiped out.

Two points what speaks against him charge responsibilities.
What are you talking about?

You made a comment on who would replace Damon, and I answered that despite all of your logic it would still be Faldio simply because anime makers are wetting in their pants from single look at him.

What kind of 'blame' or 'guilt' you are talking about? Sorry but it sounds way too random for me.

Are you saying that he should? Sorry but the guys who do not follow orders and act on their own rarely become commanders. The become heros at best (or criminals a worst) but not high rank officers.
Old 2009-09-08, 15:43   Link #58
reaper_unique

*just finished reading the three pages*
So can I asume that:
-Fagdio is still alive and didn't get any hits?
- Welkin still didn't kiss Alicia/got to her?
- this episode was worthless or in other words build up?
Old 2009-09-08, 20:07   Link #59
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper_unique View Post
*just finished reading the three pages*
So can I asume that:
-Fagdio is still alive and didn't get any hits?
- Welkin still didn't kiss Alicia/got to her?
- this episode was worthless or in other words build up?
Yes
Yes
Yes

Faldio basically is coming out of this smelling like a rose...
Old 2009-09-08, 22:28   Link #60
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Yes
Yes
Yes

Faldio basically is coming out of this smelling like a rose...
In other words, more of the usual. Yawn.

But seriously, are the R-16 boys cursed or what? First, SuzuKen gets screwed over by his role as Shinn in GSD, and now Sakurai in this mess.